NHL Playoff Pool (Make Finals Picks)

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: NHL Playoff Pool

Postby bignick33 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:24 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:As long as Mike Green is logging significant minutes for the Caps they have major trouble in their defensive corps.

Wideman and Hamrlik have been much bigger problems, although every time Green is out there I expect even the slowest of slow forwards to skate right around him. He hasn't been rushing deep into the zone like in past seasons. Not sure if he's finally realized he is a defenseman or if it's Hunter's influence.

Either way, this iteration of the Caps is extremely different from those past teams. Not saying that will change the outcome, but the last decade of teams never blocked shots or kept opponents out of the middle like this squad.

I forget the exact numbers, but something like 2/3 of the Bruins' Even Strength goals in the series were scored when Wideman was on the ice.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:24 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:As long as Mike Green is logging significant minutes for the Caps they have major trouble in their defensive corps.

Wideman and Hamrlik have been much bigger problems, although every time Green is out there I expect even the slowest of slow forwards to skate right around him. He hasn't been rushing deep into the zone like in past seasons. Not sure if he's finally realized he is a defenseman or if it's Hunter's influence.

Either way, this iteration of the Caps is extremely different from those past teams. Not saying that will change the outcome, but the last decade of teams never blocked shots or kept opponents out of the middle like this squad.

One thing from last nights game, and I didn't watch any others in the series so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but Holtby was having no success holding onto the puck whatsoever, which directly led to the goal and I think against a team with more firepower would have been a disaster. Again, without the benefit of seeing him play previously I have no idea if this was an outlier to his regular play or not, but it was ugly.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:28 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

One thing from last nights game, and I didn't watch any others in the series so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but Holtby was having no success holding onto the puck whatsoever, which directly led to the goal and I think against a team with more firepower would have been a disaster. Again, without the benefit of seeing him play previously I have no idea if this was an outlier to his regular play or not, but it was ugly.

The Bruins were attacking his glove all series but they just didn't have the top-end guys that could pick out a corner and hit it consistently. He was giving up rebounds and fighting the puck but Washington did a good job collapsing and preventing the B's from getting in good position for rebounds and they cleared the puck out of the scoring are very quickly.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:29 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

I forget the exact numbers, but something like 2/3 of the Bruins' Even Strength goals in the series were scored when Wideman was on the ice.

He was definitely on the ice for both Bruins OT winners. He's played like a fucking donkey.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:31 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

He had been far more consistent not bobbling the puck throughout the series, although still had his share of problems with it in spots. It wasn't until later in the game last night that he started having trouble every time it went near his glove. I commented on it and how worried it made me. It was like his confidence was disappearing before my eyes.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:08 am

Stay classy sideways hat, necklace wearing Sully wannabe

pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby angrychicken on Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:16 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Only Pedro had the series right

AC 6
9903 3
CAG 3
Elvis 3
LGM 3
Pedro 2
BigNick 1
Claver 1
Ryfarls 1

Somebody tell me when the next round begins. Picking these ice soccer games is easy.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:18 am

Most likely tomorrow.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:32 am

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:Only Pedro had the series right

AC 6
9903 3
CAG 3
Elvis 3
LGM 3
Pedro 2
BigNick 1
Claver 1
Ryfarls 1

Somebody tell me when the next round begins. Picking these ice soccer games is easy.

I'll update the title of the thread to grab your attention, and I'll post the second round matchups and scoring. A reminder PM to all participants probably isn't necessary, is it?
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:45 am

Stay class internet warriors. Reminds me of all the crap Brett Peterson had hurled at him (by BC fans and opponents alike).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/post/fans-unleash-racial-garbage-at-joel-ward/2012/04/26/gIQA19lBiT_blog.html
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:51 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:Stay class internet warriors. Reminds me of all the crap Brett Peterson had hurled at him (by BC fans and opponents alike).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/post/fans-unleash-racial-garbage-at-joel-ward/2012/04/26/gIQA19lBiT_blog.html

Not surprised in the least
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:54 am

:kudos to you hockey weirdos for producing 15+ pages of post for the first round of your playoff pool. By comparison, our NCAA bracket pool thread barely reached two pages.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:56 am

And here comes the piling on
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:01 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:Stay class internet warriors. Reminds me of all the crap Brett Peterson had hurled at him (by BC fans and opponents alike).

check the time and date stamp
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:05 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:

Not surprised in the least

Me neither. And I'm not implying it's inclusive to Boston or the sport of hockey either.

Remember when Coach Boone threw a banana at that white coach? Good times.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:12 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

In so much as the implication was that a small part is representative of the whole (if that were the case), there's a whole lot of pot calling kettle black, for example:

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?secti ... id=6301504

This guy is about as representative of Flyers fans as a handful of geographically anonymous Bruins fans are of Boston.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:13 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:Stay classy sideways hat, necklace wearing Sully wannabe

Oh, and:

bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby bchockey04 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:16 am

Holtby's glove was a little sketchy all series.

But not sure where people are calling him a minor league goalie. Sure, he played down there most of the year, but that's because the caps signed Vokoun in the offseason because they wanted to give Holtby a lot of starts down there. They're so confident in him that they unloaded Varlamov in the offseason knowing that between holtby and Neuvirth, one would take over the reins next season.

Between last year and this year...he's now played almost 30 games...has a sv % above 93% and a GAA of right at 2.00. Those aren't "minor leaguer" numbers. Lots of people in the caps organization thought he was the best goalie in the system, looks to me like he's just proving it earlier than many expected.

Still, this team has disappointed me far too much in my 29 years of fandom...I fully expect them to crap the bed next round. Though i also expected them to lose to the Bruins in 6 games this round. Maybe things are changing with Dale Hunter back?
bchockey04
Carney Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:21 am

bchockey04 {l Wrote}:Holtby's glove was a little sketchy all series.

But not sure where people are calling him a minor league goalie. Sure, he played down there most of the year, but that's because the caps signed Vokoun in the offseason because they wanted to give Holtby a lot of starts down there. They're so confident in him that they unloaded Varlamov in the offseason knowing that between holtby and Neuvirth, one would take over the reins next season.

Between last year and this year...he's now played almost 30 games...has a sv % above 93% and a GAA of right at 2.00. Those aren't "minor leaguer" numbers. Lots of people in the caps organization thought he was the best goalie in the system, looks to me like he's just proving it earlier than many expected.

Still, this team has disappointed me far too much in my 29 years of fandom...I fully expect them to crap the bed next round. Though i also expected them to lose to the Bruins in 6 games this round. Maybe things are changing with Dale Hunter back?

I posted this above, but what he's doing reminds me of what Halak did in 2010 for Montreal (and to a lesser degree what Rask did for Boston that same year). Halak turned out pretty well. He's clearly a "hot goalie," so I'm not sure how much you can project from this playoff run, but you should certainly enjoy the ride. The fact that you got Vokoun for pennies (as opposed to what Philly paid for Bryz) was a stroke of genius/luck by your organization.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:25 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

In so much as the implication was that a small part is representative of the whole (if that were the case), there's a whole lot of pot calling kettle black, for example:

This guy is about as representative of Flyers fans as a handful of geographically anonymous Bruins fans are of Boston.

The link I showed was 41 separate twitter handles.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:29 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

I wasn't implying that at all, maybe your guilt made you read that into the post.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:36 am

I don't think its representative of anything either.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:40 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

I wasn't implying that at all, maybe your guilt made you read that into the post.

Perhaps your apparent inability to comprehend "if" clauses is why you're still on the offensive, and you're not disingenuous. Or, perhaps I am giving you too much credit. Regardless, despite your ball-busting suggestion that I am a racist tweeter, I feel no compulsion to defend these racist apparent Bruins fans, other that the point that I already made that they're not necessarily representative.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:42 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:I don't think its representative of anything either.

I think it's representative that people are stupid, which I feel like I've been saying a lot this week due to the omnipotence of 9903's posts (heyyyyooooo!) but I also feel there is a slight racial issue within hockey. Not so much the fact that there are so few non-Caucasian players (I want to be inclusive of Richard Park) but just fan attitude. Of course, a vast majority has no problem with Mike Grier or Anson Carter and but there is decent percentage, larger than most would imagine from my estimation, that certainly would.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:44 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Perhaps your apparent inability to comprehend "if" clauses is why you're still on the offensive, and you're not disingenuous. Or, perhaps I am giving you too much credit. Regardless, despite your ball-busting suggestion that I am a racist tweeter, I feel no compulsion to defend these racist apparent Bruins fans, other that the point that I already made that they're not necessarily representative.

The "if" clause still suggested it might, and I told you it didn't. You read the possibility of it into my post. I win. Suck it.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:45 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

The "if" clause still suggested it might, and I told you it didn't. You read the possibility of it into my post. I win. Suck it.

But I thought you two were broken up?
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:45 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:

I think it's representative that people are stupid, which I feel like I've been saying a lot this week due to the omnipotence of 9903's posts (heyyyyooooo!) but I also feel there is a slight racial issue within hockey. Not so much the fact that there are so few non-Caucasian players (I want to be inclusive of Richard Park) but just fan attitude. Of course, a vast majority has no problem with Mike Grier or Anson Carter and but there is decent percentage, larger than most would imagine from my estimation, that certainly would.

is omnipotence the word you mean there? as in my posts have unlimited power? neat.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:55 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:

is omnipotence the word you mean there? as in my posts have unlimited power? neat.

Omnipresence. I mixed that up with impotent. Which is what your posts are.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:57 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

But I thought you two were broken up?

Ms. Coach Handsome asks that you respect some privacy up in hur.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby William S on Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:22 pm

I like blowjobs.

William S
n00b

PreviousNext

Return to Kelley Rink