NHL Playoff Pool (Make Finals Picks)

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: NHL Playoff Pool

Postby claver2010 on Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:17 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:Phoenix wins in 6.

Our -_- was the only one who had Phoenix and had the correct games, so wang takes a bigger lead

AC 6
9903 3
CAG 3
Elvis 3
LGM 3
BigNick 1
Claver 1
Pedro 1
Ryfarls 1
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:31 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:NY media will go after the NHL for the next two days. The League is corrupt and Lundqvist only said what everyone who has watched this league for years has known.

I love that NY thinks the NHL has a conspiracy against them. Have you seen the remaining teams in the playoffs? The NHL should be doing everything in its power to ensure NY gets as far as possible (see: goalie interference call). They'll probably even put Van Massenhoven on the crew for Game 7.

They should and if they were an intelligently run business they would, but the facts say otherwise. There is some pretty informed speculation amongst the Canadian media that the League hates the Dolans and goes out of its way to screw them at every opportunity. There is also a large amount of undeniable Canadian parochialism within the League office and the result is that there is a great deal of hostility towards the large market American teams.

On a more direct line, I have spoken to Bettman's former law partners and people who worked with him at the NBA and they say that he despairs the myopic Canadian-centric view of the game and business within his own offices.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:37 am

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:NY media will go after the NHL for the next two days. The League is corrupt and Lundqvist only said what everyone who has watched this league for years has known.

I love that NY thinks the NHL has a conspiracy against them. Have you seen the remaining teams in the playoffs? The NHL should be doing everything in its power to ensure NY gets as far as possible (see: goalie interference call). They'll probably even put Van Massenhoven on the crew for Game 7.

They should and if they were an intelligently run business they would, but the facts say otherwise. There is some pretty informed speculation amongst the Canadian media that the League hates the Dolans and goes out of its way to screw them at every opportunity. There is also a large amount of undeniable Canadian parochialism within the League office and the result is that there is a great deal of hostility towards the large market American teams.

On a more direct line, I have spoken to Bettman's former law partners and people who worked with him at the NBA and they say that he despairs the myopic Canadian-centric view of the game and business within his own offices.

I don't think it makes financial sense, but I do think the league prefers to build up teams with damaged/poor fanbases like Boston and Pittsburgh and most of Canada at the cost of teams who competed consistently and thus had full stadiums in the pre cap era like New York and Philadelphia.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:38 am

Yeah that really falls flat when you look at the plight of pretty much every Canadian team not named Vancouver. Toronto has the longest active streak without making the playoffs at the moment. Calgary is mired in being in the bottom half of the conference. Montreal is a francophone mess. Edmonton keeps drafting high but has failed to get a competent defenseman. Ottawa was supposed to be one of the worst teams in the league until some other guys emerged/reemerged.

Not to mention, how does the NHL go and prop up these franchises, aside from putting them on NBC to gain exposure, which really has no bearing on how they perform on the ice and is the main driver of attendance, revenue, popularity, etc.? Did they hold Chara at gunpoint to have him sign in Boston? Did they let it slip that Lucic and Krejci were going to be good values in the second round and that Tim Thomas would find the fountain of youth? Did they force Brian Burke to make the Kessel trade? Did Bettman poison Bill Wurtz so that Hawks home games wouldn't be blacked out any longer? There's just too many variable to not call bullshit on that theory.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:45 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:Yeah that really falls flat when you look at the plight of pretty much every Canadian team not named Vancouver. Toronto has the longest active streak without making the playoffs at the moment. Calgary is mired in being in the bottom half of the conference. Montreal is a francophone mess. Edmonton keeps drafting high but has failed to get a competent defenseman. Ottawa was supposed to be one of the worst teams in the league until some other guys emerged/reemerged.

Not to mention, how does the NHL go and prop up these franchises, aside from putting them on NBC to gain exposure, which really has no bearing on how they perform on the ice and is the main driver of attendance, revenue, popularity, etc.? Did they hold Chara at gunpoint to have him sign in Boston? Did they let it slip that Lucic and Krejci were going to be good values in the second round and that Tim Thomas would find the fountain of youth? Did they force Brian Burke to make the Kessel trade? Did Bettman poison Bill Wurtz so that Hawks home games wouldn't be blacked out any longer? There's just too many variable to not call bullshit on that theory.

I don't think the league is omnipotent, but I do think they may mess around with the draft lottery and I definitely think they encourage officials come playoff time.

The penguins situation doesn't even need explanation. 1,2,1,2 from 2003-2006. Then obvious protection of the "next one" from the league. Team goes from a move to Kansas City, to having a new stadium and a nice sell out string.

Boston just gets away with murder on the ice and everyone knows it.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:48 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:Yeah that really falls flat when you look at the plight of pretty much every Canadian team not named Vancouver. Toronto has the longest active streak without making the playoffs at the moment. Calgary is mired in being in the bottom half of the conference. Montreal is a francophone mess. Edmonton keeps drafting high but has failed to get a competent defenseman. Ottawa was supposed to be one of the worst teams in the league until some other guys emerged/reemerged.

I don't think the league is omnipotent, but I do think they may mess around with the draft lottery and I definitely think they encourage officials come playoff time.

The penguins situation doesn't even need explanation. 1,2,1,2 from 2003-2006. Then obvious protection of the "next one" from the league. Team goes from a move to Kansas City, to having a new stadium and a nice sell out string.

5, 4, 3, 2, 1......

:couch
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:50 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

5, 4, 3, 2, 1......

:couch

Nah, I generally don't argue with tin hats.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:27 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

So by that notion, the NHL is trying to prop up the bustling Edmonton market by giving it 3 number 1's in a row? You know, even though they're going to be at or near full capacity no matter what? And they're going to do this by rigging the draft in years in which there are good but not overly marketable players available (I mean, have you seen Taylor Hall's face?)? All the while, continuing to screw over such teams as Columbus, which has the potential to have a viable market should they ever get someone other than Rick Nash that isn't a moody Russian. When you suck, you get high draft picks. Pittsburgh sucked really, really bad for a while. I watched Crosby play his rookie year against Chicago and it was one of the worst games I have ever been to. It's no surprise that both teams had been/were going to be picking high for the foreseeable. Because they sucked. And that's what happens when you suck.

The last point is just not true and the supplemental discipline bears that out (both for and against them) so, yeah, I'm just going to let that one be.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:29 am

Clemmensen CONFIRMED he's starting tonight
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:39 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

So by that notion, the NHL is trying to prop up the bustling Edmonton market by giving it 3 number 1's in a row? You know, even though they're going to be at or near full capacity no matter what? And they're going to do this by rigging the draft in years in which there are good but not overly marketable players available (I mean, have you seen Taylor Hall's face?)? All the while, continuing to screw over such teams as Columbus, which has the potential to have a viable market should they ever get someone other than Rick Nash that isn't a moody Russian. When you suck, you get high draft picks. Pittsburgh sucked really, really bad for a while. I watched Crosby play his rookie year against Chicago and it was one of the worst games I have ever been to. It's no surprise that both teams had been/were going to be picking high for the foreseeable. Because they sucked. And that's what happens when you suck.

The last point is just not true and the supplemental discipline bears that out (both for and against them) so, yeah, I'm just going to let that one be.

again, ha!
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:40 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Clemmensen CONFIRMED he's starting tonight

Um, so why is Theodore getting benched after a shutout in Game 5?

Edit: Oh, he's injured. Probably from ripping butts and hanging out in clubs with Paris Hilton.
Last edited by flyingelvii on Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:42 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

again, ha!

I don't like you, your face, your avatar, your handle or your personality. And it gave me another excuse to make sure all the NHL Drafts of the past 10 years in Wikipedia are now purple links instead of blue.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:43 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:Clemmensen CONFIRMED he's starting tonight

Um, so why is Theodore getting benched after a shutout in Game 5?

Apparently Theodore is hurt

Duchie you going to the game tonight?
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:58 am

Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:40 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

again, ha!

I don't like you, your face, your avatar, your handle or your personality. And it gave me another excuse to make sure all the NHL Drafts of the past 10 years in Wikipedia are now purple links instead of blue.

No one likes him, don't worry.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:44 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

again, ha!

^^^
mad
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:47 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

again, ha!

Would you say Wayne Simmonds is more athletic than Claude Giroux?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:48 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

again, ha!

Why don't you have a sense of humor? And please keep basketball fights out of the hockey forum. We already have a hard enough time with the ice conditions due to the floor surface changes and everything so we don't need any other unnecessary things.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:50 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:Would you say Wayne Simmonds is more athletic than Claude Giroux?

I'd say Giroux has a high hockey IQ
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:53 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:Would you say Wayne Simmonds is more athletic than Claude Giroux?

probably good three point shooting for a C as well.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:01 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

probably good three point shooting for a C as well.

But he has difficulty getting in the paint and beating players like Simmonds for loose rebounds.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:39 am

Clem the Gem still has a lot of difficulty with the low shots. With that said, overall he played great. Florida put almost no pressure on Brodeur--who is positively awful at this point in his career--and the entire game with the exception of 5 minutes in the 2nd period when Florida scored twice was played in Florida's defensive zone.

Harrold looks pretty good for NJ--although he had a horrible read on a pass on the power play where he basically failed to feed what was a slam dunk goal and instead pushed it into a Florida forward resulting in a shorthanded chance. also nice to see Little Gionta get a chance in the show after toiling in Albany and other garden spots for years. He has actually looked good--fast, disruptive, etc.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:57 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:

He's scrappy, a hard working team player....he does all the little things
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:09 am

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Clem the Gem still has a lot of difficulty with the low shots. With that said, overall he played great. Florida put almost no pressure on Brodeur--who is positively awful at this point in his career--and the entire game with the exception of 5 minutes in the 2nd period when Florida scored twice was played in Florida's defensive zone.

Harrold looks pretty good for NJ--although he had a horrible read on a pass on the power play where he basically failed to feed what was a slam dunk goal and instead pushed it into a Florida forward resulting in a shorthanded chance. also nice to see Little Gionta get a chance in the show after toiling in Albany and other garden spots for years. He has actually looked good--fast, disruptive, etc.

Thought Clem looked very good as well.

Every game Parise impresses me.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:23 am

No Boyle or Callahan at practice, not surprising as Callahan took a shot off the hand. Didn't miss a shift but I'm sure could use a little time.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:06 am

Hank, Rinne, and Quick were nominated for Vez.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nhl/story/_ ... ekka-finne
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:19 am

Rinne is constantly underrated by the national media because of where he plays
Last edited by claver2010 on Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:21 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Rinne is constantly underrated.

While true, I feel like the system he plays in inflates his numbers, kinda like Elliot and Halak this year.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby bignick33 on Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:23 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:

While true, I feel like the system he plays in inflates his numbers, kinda like Elliot and Halak this year.

This is the second year in a row that he's been nominated.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:32 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:

This is the second year in a row that he's been nominated.

And he would've won last year had Thomas put up slightly lower numbers (and he plays in a system that inflates your stats too FWIW) and Rinne didn't get hurt.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Kelley Rink