NHL Playoff Pool (Make Finals Picks)

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: NHL Playoff Pool (Make Second Round Picks)

Postby claver2010 on Thu May 03, 2012 11:33 am

bchockey04 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:Aucoin played a fantastic game as well. One of the only guys who seems to really hustle every shift - which works great with Knuble. Let's hope Chimera continues his Rangers killing ways and Laich wins some more faceoffs.

Though Aucoin & Knuble were very good last night.

They were good....but the next time Aucoin shoots a puck over 60 mph will be the first. His long hockey stick helps in back-checking and making up for his short stature -- but he can't shoot to save his life. I still think Halpern would be an upgrade over him right now especially for face-offs, dunno how he's ended up in the dog house.

Good thing you qualified that with "hockey" or else gag radar's brother gaydar would be on you.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby bchockey04 on Thu May 03, 2012 11:49 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
bchockey04 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:Aucoin played a fantastic game as well. One of the only guys who seems to really hustle every shift - which works great with Knuble. Let's hope Chimera continues his Rangers killing ways and Laich wins some more faceoffs.

Though Aucoin & Knuble were very good last night.

They were good....but the next time Aucoin shoots a puck over 60 mph will be the first. His long hockey stick helps in back-checking and making up for his short stature -- but he can't shoot to save his life. I still think Halpern would be an upgrade over him right now especially for face-offs, dunno how he's ended up in the dog house.

Good thing you qualified that with "hockey" or else gag radar's brother gaydar would be on you.

It's sad/impressive that i actually thought about that as i was typing.
bchockey04
Carney Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Thu May 03, 2012 1:53 pm

bchockey04 {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:6. The Caps are the 1996 Florida Panthers. They are not good, but they play their system with absolute discipline and are basically just looking for two lucky counter-punches a game. Last night they missed and clanked on two easy opportunities.

So the Rangers are good because they block a ton of shots, commit bad turnovers in their own end, and look for 3 lucky counter-punches a game?

Wrong. The Rangers are not a "system" team. If you watched the CBC or NBC feeds for the game you would have heard ad infinitum of how the Rangers D takes an enormous amount of chances, pinches aggressively and free lances an enormous amount. In contrast, the Caps are playing system hockey--jam the middle, don't leave your slot, take no chances and staple any player--no matter how superior their talent--to the bench if they don't fit well in the system.

As to their talent vis a vis the 1996 Panthers, you either vastly overrate the Caps or underrate Florida. With the exception of Ovechkin--who was stapled to the bench for most of the OT--I'll match Mellanby, Little Neidermayer, Straka, Stu Barnes, Dvorak against the Caps forwards without giving up much. Florida had a far superior D corps and Holtby is unlikely to ever win a Vezina like the Beezer.

Ovechkin was stapled to the bench for much of OT? Hunter rolled all 4 lines the entire time (with the exception of the penalty kill). And outside of Straka...i'll take Semin, Backstrom, Laich over any of those guys. Holtby is also a 22 year old rookie so you have no idea whether he'll ever win a vezina. His stats this year basically match "beezer's" in '96 so far.

Statistically speaking, Straka was the weakest of the aforementioned Panthers so if you concede Straka you have to concede the others. Ovie's ice time dropped considerably from regulation to OT. Now it may be a product of them double shifting him in regulation and dispensing with that in OT to try and preserve him, but fact is his overall time and shifts fell by 30%. In contrast every other player--including the 4th line--saw shifts and minutes go up (at Ovechkin's expense).
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby bchockey04 on Thu May 03, 2012 2:30 pm

bchockey04 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:6. The Caps are the 1996 Florida Panthers. They are not good, but they play their system with absolute discipline and are basically just looking for two lucky counter-punches a game. Last night they missed and clanked on two easy opportunities.

So the Rangers are good because they block a ton of shots, commit bad turnovers in their own end, and look for 3 lucky counter-punches a game?

Wrong. The Rangers are not a "system" team. If you watched the CBC or NBC feeds for the game you would have heard ad infinitum of how the Rangers D takes an enormous amount of chances, pinches aggressively and free lances an enormous amount. In contrast, the Caps are playing system hockey--jam the middle, don't leave your slot, take no chances and staple any player--no matter how superior their talent--to the bench if they don't fit well in the system.

As to their talent vis a vis the 1996 Panthers, you either vastly overrate the Caps or underrate Florida. With the exception of Ovechkin--who was stapled to the bench for most of the OT--I'll match Mellanby, Little Neidermayer, Straka, Stu Barnes, Dvorak against the Caps forwards without giving up much. Florida had a far superior D corps and Holtby is unlikely to ever win a Vezina like the Beezer.

Ovechkin was stapled to the bench for much of OT? Hunter rolled all 4 lines the entire time (with the exception of the penalty kill). And outside of Straka...i'll take Semin, Backstrom, Laich over any of those guys. Holtby is also a 22 year old rookie so you have no idea whether he'll ever win a vezina. His stats this year basically match "beezer's" in '96 so far.

Statistically speaking, Straka was the weakest of the aforementioned Panthers so if you concede Straka you have to concede the others. Ovie's ice time dropped considerably from regulation to OT. Now it may be a product of them double shifting him in regulation and dispensing with that in OT to try and preserve him, but fact is his overall time and shifts fell by 30%. In contrast every other player--including the 4th line--saw shifts and minutes go up (at Ovechkin's expense).

I'm not talking statistics though. Like you said earlier as far as pure talent i'd only lump in Straka (and MAYBE Mellanby) with Semin, Bacsktrom, & even Laich. The rest were pretty much lunch pail guys like Knuble, Ward, Brouwer, Hendricks. And Straka didn't even hit his stride until he went to Pittsburgh. At best I would say it's a push.
bchockey04
Carney Hall

Postby bchockey04 on Thu May 03, 2012 4:39 pm

bchockey04 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Oh and Ovechkin's 6:00 of ice time in the 2nd OT was the most for any forward on the team. And his 8 shifts in the 1st OT were the most of any forward....just sayin.
bchockey04
Carney Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu May 03, 2012 7:04 pm

The defensive lapses from the Flyers are huuummmoonnnggouss
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Thu May 03, 2012 7:16 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:The defensive lapses from the Flyers are huuummmoonnnggouss

I don't really have any feelings one way or another about the current Devils, but goddam they play boring hockey.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu May 03, 2012 9:34 pm

How do you make that call?
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Thu May 03, 2012 9:51 pm

That 2nd penalty kill was the turning point. Can't blow 2 PP opportunities in OT of a playoff game.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu May 03, 2012 10:59 pm

I maintain that the worst remaining conference matchup for NYR is Washington.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri May 04, 2012 7:49 am

The Flyers are 1-4 when scoring first in the playoffs
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Fri May 04, 2012 9:44 am

Article on Kreider it today's Daily News, it's becoming a daily occurance, this one has a little more BC flavor:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/hockey/rangers/chris-krieder-shows-ny-rangers-a-quick-study-article-1.1072330

Chris Kreider shows NY Rangers he is a quick study in Stanley Cup playoffs
Boston College student is helping Blueshirts graduate

By Pat Leonard / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Thursday, May 3, 2012, 10:15 PM

WASHINGTON – Chris Kreider cut off his first interview in the Garden locker room before it began, whispering to a Rangers PR rep on the morning of April 12 that he’d prefer to move the media throng outside, away from his new teammates.

Kreider told the Daily News days later he didn’t want to look like a big-shot rookie who thought he was greater than the group.

“I’m impressed that he thought of that,” said Rangers center Brian Boyle, a former Boston College standout like Kreider.
“I didn’t know that,” defenseman Marc Staal said, nodding.

“Yeah, that’s not me,” Kreider said of craving attention.

OK, so who are you, Chris?

That locker-room scene “speaks volumes,” as Kreider’s college coach, Jerry York, said of his former star winger’s demeanor and maturity level. And Kreider’s two game-winning goals and three points in eight playoff games to start his NHL career have attracted so much of a spotlight, there is no longer an empty room where he can slide off.

But how did Kreider get from his hometown of Boxford, Mass., to the Big Apple, drafted 19th overall by the Rangers in 2009 before debuting this April?

“Stay busy, and stay focused,” said Kreider, who spent two years at Masconomet Regional High School in Massachusetts, two years at Phillips Andover Academy and three years at Boston College, where he is four credits away from graduating with a degree in communications .

“I don’t think it’s just education so much as doing your best and trying your hardest at everything you do, making the most of the opportunities that you have,” Kreider said of his priorities. “Not wasting the gifts God gave you.”

So he’s religious.

“A little bit, yeah,” Kreider said Tuesday at the Garden. “More spiritual than religious. My mom – I mean, we probably don’t get to church as much as we’d like. Especially when we were younger – a lot of Sunday morning hockey games, and my sister plays a lot of Sunday morning soccer games.”

Kreider’s parents, Kathy and David, and his younger sister Katie have respectfully removed themselves from the public eye as Chris has won a second NCAA national championship, signed with the Rangers, accelerated onto their top lines and turned 21 years old, all within a month.

He played “everything” as a kid growing up in Charlestown, a half-hour south of Boxford, and began skating at age 6. Kreider wasn’t a hockey player who dabbled elsewhere. He was an all-around athlete. He played soccer all the way up until his junior year of high school. He picked up lacrosse his freshman year and had opportunities to play on grass at the college level.

“The NFL talks about drafting athletes and not any specific position,” said York, who has won five NCAA national titles in 40 seasons as a head coach, including four at BC. “They move linebackers to tight end, or switch things all around. Chris was like that — a real athlete — and now he’s becoming a hockey player.”

York actually called Kreider a “late developer, hockey-wise.”

“He never really was the best 12-year-old, the best 14-year-old, the best 16-year-old,” York said. “But as he got to be 17, 18, he really started to develop his hockey skills. He could have just as easily been a tailback on a football team.”

Kreider said until college and two turns with U.S. teams at the World Junior Championships and World Championships in 2010 and 2011, he was never forced to play within a team concept. He was the exceptional to the rule.

“In prep school, it was go get the puck and try to score,” he said, smiling – a 21-year-old remembering the good ol’ days. “It was a lot of fun offensively, but it’s not really hockey. We had a system and concept at Andover, but I didn’t always play within it, I guess. I was fast enough to get away with stuff that I definitely couldn’t get away with in college or the pro level.”

“I remember when I first skated with him, after he had just been drafted by the Rangers,” said Tommy Cross, Boston College’s senior defenseman and captain. “He was just like a hybrid. He wasn’t like anyone else I’ve ever seen. And I was taken by his speed, obviously.”

Everyone notices Kreider’s speed, but it’s his size and strength that will probably keep him in the NHL.

“I’m a little bit of a meathead,” Kreider said, laughing as he recounted the competitive weightlifting he and his teammates did two-to-three times per week at BC. Kreider is 6-3, 230 pounds, but he said he entered college in the fall of 2009 at just 6-2, 200.

“He was 200 pounds? That might be generous,” Cross joked. “But now, the kid’s a freak. He’s an animal. He’s every bit of 230 pounds, and he put the work into it.”

So he’s spiritual and driven, he lifts weights, does his homework, practices hard and possesses enough natural ability to excel at any sport he chooses. Kreider sounds a bit like a Marine in plain clothes. But according to his college roommate, BC hockey video coordinator Samson Lee, that couldn’t be further from the truth.

“The best part about him is he’s just like anyone else,” Lee said. “He’s just a kid. He plays Xbox – Call of Duty, NHL, you name it. It’s weird seeing him out there, because when he gets off the ice, it’s just Chris. It’s almost surreal.”

Back in the dorm room, there is a distinct separation between Lee’s quarters and Kreider’s. Lee, who is from Vancouver, has his walls decked out with Canucks gear and memorabilia and a Canadian flag over the bed. Hanging above Kreider’s bed is an American flag with hockey jerseys lining the wall, their passions and countries coexisting in Chestnut Hill.

Rocketed from modular furniture to the Garden locker room in just days, Kreider unlaces his skates Tuesday morning, one day after the Rangers lost, 2-1, in Game 2 to the Capitals on Kreider’s 21st birthday.

A reporter walks by and asks: “Chris, how was your birthday?”

Kreider looks up and, expressionless, responds: “We lost.”

That’s the “stay focused” part.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby bchockey04 on Fri May 04, 2012 10:59 am

WOW. Nashville sitting Radulov and Kostitsyn again tonight. Ballsy move.
bchockey04
Carney Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat May 05, 2012 12:03 pm

Absolutely brutal turnover from Kreider
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Sun May 06, 2012 7:27 am

Typical Ovi

Someone has to go all Scott Stevens on him when he goes Eric Lindros across the ice
Last edited by claver2010 on Sun May 06, 2012 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby bchockey04 on Sun May 06, 2012 12:23 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Typical Ovi

Someone has to go all Scott Stevens on him when he goes all Eric Lindros across the ice

NHL not reviewing it. Good call. It was not malicious. The principal point of contact was not the head and his foot was still on the ground when they made contact. He was trying to play the puck just before the hit so it wasn't like he lined him up. 2 minute penalty? Fine. But it was not that bad.

Good win for the caps. Best of 3 now.
bchockey04
Carney Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Sun May 06, 2012 4:42 pm

And LA busts the brooms out.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Sun May 06, 2012 6:27 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:And LA busts the brooms out.

I look forward to flyers fans crediting Richards and Carter (and not Quick, Brown and Doughty) when the Kings win the cup and promptly hurl themselves off the Walt Whitman.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Sun May 06, 2012 9:31 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

I look forward to flyers fans crediting Richards and Carter (and not Quick, Brown and Doughty) when the Kings win the cup and promptly hurl themselves off the Walt Whitman.

We could play this game with Steve Eminger. Or with Mike Knuble. Or, last year, with Dennis Seidenberg.

Are you at least pleased that Simon Gagné is on IR?
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon May 07, 2012 7:14 am

I'm more impressed than pleased that you used an accent on a letter.

Message boardery is serious business.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Mon May 07, 2012 8:03 am

It's quite easy on a Mac. I haven't had to type any Spanish papers on a PC so I am not sure about it on that front.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon May 07, 2012 8:26 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

We could play this game with Steve Eminger. Or with Mike Knuble. Or, last year, with Dennis Seidenberg.

I think you are slightly missing at least the spirit of the frustration. Richards was the captain for the last 4 years, Carter led the team in pts in 08 and was in the top five (usually 2) every other year since his rookie year. Gagne was similarly important to the offense for the middle of the 2000s (led pts in 05-06, 06-07) . Throw in Justin Williams, who they traded for 3 weeks of Danny Markov when all the defensemen got hurt for the first of like nine times this decade and the Kings are really Flyers west. This would be like if Savard(with an intact skull), Chara and Bergeron were all Phoenix Coyotes right now.

I realize Seidenberg and Knuble played for the Bruins at the same time, but Seidenbger never did shit for the flyers because he came up during the lockout mess and they traded him so quickly after. I always liked Knuble, still do. Eminger played 12 games as a Flyer, I honestly forgot he was ever a Flyer.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon May 07, 2012 8:51 am

Giroux is going to have a shanaban hearing
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Mon May 07, 2012 9:01 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

I think you are slightly missing at least the spirit of the frustration. Richards was the captain for the last 4 years, Carter led the team in pts in 08 and was in the top five (usually 2) every other year since his rookie year. Gagne was similarly important to the offense for the middle of the 2000s (led pts in 05-06, 06-07) . Throw in Justin Williams, who they traded for 3 weeks of Danny Markov when all the defensemen got hurt for the first of like nine times this decade and the Kings are really Flyers west. This would be like if Savard(with an intact skull), Chara and Bergeron were all Phoenix Coyotes right now.

I realize Seidenberg and Knuble played for the Bruins at the same time, but Seidenbger never did shit for the flyers because he came up during the lockout mess and they traded him so quickly after. I always liked Knuble, still do. Eminger played 12 games as a Flyer, I honestly forgot he was ever a Flyer.

Seids and Knuble were never together on the B's. IIRC Knuble was gone after the lockout.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon May 07, 2012 9:05 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Giroux is going to have a shanaban hearing

Not worried. I think this series is over anyway, thanks to Lou Lamarillo's latest attempt to ruin the NHL (tampa 1-3-1 shit but better executed combined with garbage ice - pierre penis face mcguire mentioned the red hot chilli peppers concert being in the rink the night before no less than 5 times), but regardless it was Danius Fucking Zubrus who got hit and he didn't even miss a shift, Giroux didn't leave the ice and is Giroux.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon May 07, 2012 9:06 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Seids and Knuble were never together on the B's. IIRC Knuble was gone after the lockout.

then nick's point is worse than I thought.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon May 07, 2012 9:23 am

I hope this doesn't get Therien fired.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Mon May 07, 2012 9:26 am

I think it is great that the refs allowed the Caps to drag down two Rangers before Pussy Green tallied the game winner. This coupled with Ovi's dirty ass head hunting just proves how incompetent the hack who run this league truly are.

Also, there are no worse fans in the NHL than Caps fans. Aside from being front runners of the worst sort, they also know nothing about the game. I laughed out loud when Ovi got called for his illegal cheap shot and the fuckheads who run the Verizon Center played a clip of a ref failing an eye test. I saw Leonisis after the game and told him we'd be pulling out of Revolution Money venture (which was the purpose of going to the game). I must say that I enjoyed it particularly after watching the sheer fucktardedness of his fanbase.

Anyway, if I'm the Rangers I have Rupp two-hand Ovi in the throat to start game 5. The thing is that the Caps play cheap and chippy like the collection of Eurofeuges that they are. rather than allow them to do the slew footing and stick work Torts should just have Bickel or Rupp administer an opening faceoff beatdown on Chimera or some other punk.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby bignick33 on Mon May 07, 2012 9:36 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

I didn't so much miss the spirit of the post so much as I thought it would be fun to play the name former Flyers game. There are lots of them, because Holmgren likes doing stuff.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Mon May 07, 2012 9:42 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Giroux is going to have a shanaban hearing

As the announcers pointed out, it was a clearly a frustration thing. He'll get a game at least. Giroux of all people should know better.

bignick33
Fulton Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Kelley Rink