Frozen Four Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Frozen Four Thread

Postby claver2010 on Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:41 pm

A little Minnesota preview, due to the sports pack and their games starting late, I've been able to watch a good amount of their games.

Minnesota won the RS WCHA crown, amassing a 20-8-0 record in conference and were 28-13-1 overall. In the WCHA Final 5 (their conference tournament) they lost to NoDak in the semis 6-3. Due to BC's tough OOC & tournament play, we have a ton of common opponents, Duluth, UVM , NoDak, Mich St, Michigan Tech, ND, NU, Denver, & BU.

Offensively, they'll remind BC fans most of Maine with 1 big line. Their big line of Haula, Rau, & Bjugstad, all of whom are underclassmen, has scored 40% of Minnesota's goals and are the only players who have more than 15. The team is #1 nationally in goal scoring at 3.67 per game and have the 5th best powerplay at 23%. Unlike Maine, they break up their big line and have 2 balanced units.

Defensively, they are led by sophomore Nate Schmidt who was 2nd nationally in points (3-38-41), who has an interesting story http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_20173812/gophers-hockey-nate-schmidt-trims-fat-transforms-into as he only played 13 games as a FR. He is however, slightly undersized at 5-11, 195; I'd look for York to try to matchup the Kreider-Hayes-Straight line against him to get the cycle going below the dots. According to their fans they consistently trot out 3 pairings. Nationally, they are #8 in goals allowed per game at 2.21 and 36th in PK at 81%.

In between the pipes, they have senior 1st team all-WCHA Kent Patterson, who has started every game. The 2nd year starter has taken all but 21 minutes this season for the Gophers with a 2.23 GAA & .911 save %. Despite the 1st team status, he is susceptible to off nights, and has allowed more than 3 goals in 4 games in February & March.

Should be a fun game as both teams like to get up and down.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby AdamBC on Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:23 am

http://www.wbur.org/2012/04/04/bc-frozen-four

BOSTON — Ahhh, the sounds of hockey in April… in this case, hockey as practiced by one shooter, one goalie, and one assistant coach at Conte Forum early on a Monday morning.

Most of the rest of the members of the Boston College hockey team were in class at the time, or in the library. Or at least that’s what Head Coach Jerry York told me. He was in his office, considering the University of Minnesota team BC will meet Thursday night in Tampa at the Frozen Four.

“To be perfectly honest,” York said, “they reflect our team. They skate very well, they compete well, they’ve had good goal tending. We play to win, we don’t trap, we don’t sit back and say, ‘Hey, if we can get to the third period and get a break, we can win a game.’ We’re gonna try to win a game early. So it’s gonna be really interesting match-up.”

On the eve of the trip to Florida, Coach York was excited about the prospect of a national championship. And no wonder: BC carries into Thursday’s game a 17-game winning streak. Still, he’s taking nothing for granted in terms of preparation. Which has included team bonding exercises, one of the most recent of which was a group trip to a movie featuring – as the trailer says – real Navy SEALS.

“I thought ‘Acts of Valor’ would be a terrific movie to bring the guys to, and, sure enough, it was,” York said. “It depicted the SEALS and teammates in groups of seven or eight SEALS together, and the sacrifices they make for each other. Now, it’s war, and we’re just games, but there’s a lot of similarities with good teams that respect each other and play hard for each other.”

Jerry York has also utilized various, less dramatic ways to inspire his team. When I asked him whether the 17-game winning streak might have bred overconfidence, he told me that he’d reminded his team of what former New England Patriots linebacker Tedy Bruschi had said about that team’s remarkable streak.

“He said, ‘Listen, we haven’t won 24 straight; we’ve won one game 24 different times.’ ”

Coach York’s players may be more impressed by cinematic heroics and the musings of football-playing Patriots than some of the opposition’s skaters, because BC’s recruits are inclined to be younger. Lots of college coaches pack their rosters with Canadians seasoned by post-secondary school hockey experience — but not York.

“Most of our players are coming right out of high school. We go after the very top players, and we think that recruiting 18-year-old players, they’re more comfortable in the dormitories with other 18-year-old students, but their upside is so much better,” York said. “Nothing is wrong with the direction some schools take, because it’s allowed, and you can do that, but I’d much rather take the younger player in.”

It’s a system that has worked well for York. With 911 career victories, he is college hockey’s most successful active coach, and his BC teams have won three national championships. He’s reluctant to promise that this year’s squad will match the achievements of their most accomplished predecessors.

“Those other teams are pretty good, you know. They got good coaches, they got good players, they have good fan bases, but that’s the challenge we have,” York said. “If you can win a trophy any time during the year, you’re excited about bringing a trophy into your locker room. But if you can win this trophy, this is the shiniest, this is the biggest trophy, but it’s the most difficult to get, and it’s pretty rewarding. So, having said that, I feel good about our club.”

Winning 17 games in a row will do that for you. And if BC can prevail in just two more, that shiniest of trophies will return to the Heights.

Thursday, April 5 in Tampa, this year’s four most accomplished college hockey teams will be whittled down to two. In Frozen Four action, Union College will meet Ferris State University at 4:30 p.m., and Boston College will take on the University of Minnesota at 8:00 p.m.
AdamBC
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:52 pm

According to the twitter machine, BC & Minnesota have agreed on 4 games

No word on when this starts
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:54 pm

Jerry will be on the DA Show on 98.5 tonight at 9.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:03 am

This feels a lot like 2007, let's hope for a better ending
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BCTG on Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:30 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:This feels a lot like 2007, let's hope for a better ending

Uggh, I was there. As great as Thursday vs. the Sioux was... the outcome on Saturday was devastating
BCTG
Carney Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:33 am

Minnesota's Don Lucia: Unless you're Boston College, you don't get here every year.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:35 am

BCTG {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:This feels a lot like 2007, let's hope for a better ending

Uggh, I was there. As great as Thursday vs. the Sioux was... the outcome on Saturday was devastating

Between 2007 & 2011, that city should be burned down
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:38 am

It's really easy to be calm and confident for this game.

In 2006 watching as :seanwilliams whiffed on the inbounds layup, I was devastated because I knew that team may have been a once-in-a-not-so-very-often team. The best chance to get to that next level. And oh how not-so-often it turned out to be.

In 2007 watching as Matty Ice threw the last pick in the ACC championship game, I was devastated because I knew that team may have been a once-in-a-not-so-very-often team. The best chance to get to that next level. And oh how not-so-often it turned out to be.

BC hockey is a powerhouse and they will be a powerhouse regardless of the outcome of tonight's game. York gets it done and another banner is gravy. Of course I want them to win, and of course losing will suck. But at the end of the day, it would not be even close to devastating for me.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby The Knife of Asia on Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:51 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:It's really easy to be calm and confident for this game.

In 2006 watching as :seanwilliams whiffed on the inbounds layup, I was devastated because I knew that team may have been a once-in-a-not-so-very-often team. The best chance to get to that next level. And oh how not-so-often it turned out to be.

In 2007 watching as Matty Ice threw the last pick in the ACC championship game, I was devastated because I knew that team may have been a once-in-a-not-so-very-often team. The best chance to get to that next level. And oh how not-so-often it turned out to be.

BC hockey is a powerhouse and they will be a powerhouse regardless of the outcome of tonight's game. York gets it done and another banner is gravy. Of course I want them to win, and of course losing will suck. But at the end of the day, it would not be even close to devastating for me.

well said... We have been spoiled by the greatness of Jerry York.
The Knife of Asia
McGuinn Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:07 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:Jerry will be on the DA Show on 98.5 tonight at 9.

I heard the interview. As always, Coach York was a great representative of the program and school. It's been said a hundred times, but I'll say it again - Jerry makes Spaz look like such a loser by comparison that it is embarrassing.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:15 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Minnesota's Don Lucia: Unless you're Boston College, you don't get here every year.

Thats makes me smile, esp since Minn was called the Yankees of college hockey.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:12 pm

BC bar in Tampa

Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby wolverineneshl on Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:29 pm

OK I'm here at a Starbucks, just got in the Tampa area from the Orlando Airport. I'm on my laptop checking my email and other info. Will check into my hotel, then head over for the 4:30 PM game. I think I'm north of the city.

Hope to see you BC fans in good numbers at the rink!

I hope BC takes it tonight. It's kind of strange, the two best teams playing against each other first. I was hoping the top seeds play the other two teams first.
wolverineneshl
McGuinn Hall

Postby shockdoct on Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:25 pm

Greetings from the tampa area!

Heading up from Anna Maria Island at 6. I think I'm in section 124.
Attachments
IMAG0030.jpg
IMAG0030.jpg (738.76 KiB) Viewed 17278 times
shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:54 pm

Very jealous of you guys who are there. Just basically faking work for the next 80 mins or so before its acceptable for me to leave.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:03 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:Very jealous of you guys who are there. Just basically faking work for the next 80 mins or so before its acceptable for me to leave.

Same. I can't wait for this event to be in Philly in 2 years.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:53 pm

wolverineneshl {l Wrote}:I hope BC takes it tonight. It's kind of strange, the two best teams playing against each other first. I was hoping the top seeds play the other two teams first.

Minnesota is the lowest seed of the 4 FF programs (which is retarded, if they beat us they will roll Union/Ferris St).

I'll be hitting the road immediately after the game if they win....10-hour drive, I'll be trying to knock off 3 hours or so tonight, crash at a motel somewhere, then shooting to get to Tampa in time for Happy Hour tomorrow.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:05 pm

I'm rooting for no OT here

But if Ferris & BC wins, we're going to wear our golds, would be weird
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:08 pm

This game is fucking boring
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby EagleDave on Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:46 pm

Both these teams are mediocre...all I care about is that the BC game starts on time. BC or Minny will absolutely wreck either of these teams Saturday.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:07 pm

OK now I'm nervous. Time to booze.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:15 pm

What are the drinks of choice tonight?
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby BCTG on Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:21 pm

Harpoon IPA here
BCTG
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:22 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:I'm rooting for no OT here

But if Ferris & BC wins, we're going to wear our golds, would be weird

I hate these uniforms with a passion. We look as bad as we are playing to start this game.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:25 pm

BCTG {l Wrote}:Harpoon IPA here

Smutty IPA for me. And, maybe some Buffalo Trace Whiskey later on.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:25 pm

I am doing the Cover It Live chat on bceagles.com.

I asked the host if Gene was at the game. He responded yes. Then I said I was impressed because he just had a busy week with the spring game and hiring a women's basketball coach. First they censored my post to remove the part where I said I was impressed. 5 seconds later, they deleted it completely. I wonder if the minions are already familiar with my schtick...
Last edited by DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:26 pm

Harpoon Celtic

That's what happens when these guys don't do a single college hockey game during the season..They say stupid shit like that comment about the makeup of the 1980 miracle team.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:28 pm

GOAL!!!
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:29 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:I am doing the Cover It Live chat on bceagles.com.

I asked the host if Gene was at the game. He responded yes. Then I said I was impressed because he just had a busy week with the spring game and hiring a women's basketball coach. First they censored my post to remove the part where I said I was impressed. 5 seconds later, they deleted it completely. I wonder if the minions are already familiar with my schtick...

What does that mean? That he isn't there???
HJS
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Kelley Rink