Another BU Player Arrested

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Another BU Player Arrested

Postby claver2010 on Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:40 pm

It also helps that they are going up to UVM for a weekend. A chance to get away for a little & UVM absolutely blows.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:21 am

Parker in the Globe today: “You can’t change the culture that’s evolved here; we’re not going to be able to step into people’s lives and change them drastically,’’ he said, referring to heavy drinking, casual sexual encounters, and co-ed dormitories.

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/mens_hockey/articles/2012/02/24/boston_university_to_investigate_hockey_culture_after_sex_charges_against_players_nicastro_and_trivino/

Ummmmm, wow
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby wolverineneshl on Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:28 pm

I agree short term it does not effect them that much but maybe long term they suffer in the recruiting process from all this negative publicity. I don't see them dropping hockey but maybe it hastens JP departure from coaching the team if pressure is on him to resign for the good of the program and to deflect the bad PR from these incidents.

They can play with 5 D or have someone fill in as the 6th defenseman for now.

BU is still a decent team, good enough to sweep Vermont and NU at the end of the season and puts enough pressure on BC to keep winning if they want 1st place in HE and have the #1 seed play #8.
wolverineneshl
McGuinn Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:32 pm

BTW no Max Nicastro reference is complete without:

Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:42 pm

I dunno, I'm guessing this is a big misunderstanding and he was simply still looking for his jock after Kreider deked him out of it last year.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:05 pm

In Globe today:

BU task force must underscore need for hockey team to change

FEBRUARY 25, 2012

BOSTON UNIVERSITY President Robert Brown has taken an important preliminary step in establishing a task force to examine the culture of BU’s hockey team. But it will take more than thoughtful conversation to repair the reputation of the team, of which two members have been accused of rape or sexual assault, amid numerous reports of boorish behavior and insensitivity to other students.

“To us, men’s hockey is like Duke basketball, Syracuse basketball, and USC and Texas football,’’ Brown said in an interview, indicating he knew precisely how much the alleged incidents could damage the reputation of a campus that has 33,000 graduate and undergraduate students.

While Brown is right to let the task force do its job before ordering any changes, one important addition might be designating a coach to monitor the behavior of athletes away from the rink. BU won the national hockey championship in 2009 and in the process became intertwined in a professionalized collegiate hockey culture that is arguably more complex than for football or basketball. College football and basketball players must stay utterly clear of the National Football League or National Basketball Association until they are drafted as seniors or leave college early.

Both alleged sexual assailants, Max Nicastro and Corey Trivino, were drafted by National Hockey League teams in 2008. Even with their dismissals, BU says nine of 24 current players have already been drafted by NHL teams. This means they train in professional camps and rub shoulders with the pros, then return to campus with an extra dose of testosterone-fueled entitlement. In addition, hockey players tend to be older than other students because many of them play in amateur development leagues between high school and college. Thus, even some sophomores are of drinking age. Several BU hockey players will turn 24 or 25 this year, while attending classes with 18- and 19-year-old undergrads.

All these factors make the hockey team a society unto itself. Policing this unit may be too overwhelming for the well-respected and three-time NCAA champion hockey coach Jack Parker. In a recent Globe interview, Parker sounded almost defeated, saying, “You can’t change the culture that’s evolved here; we’re not going to be able to step into people’s lives and change them drastically.’’

But BU hockey must change or give up the team. BU, which dropped its costly football program in the late 1990s, has built a deserved reputation as a major university with a proper balance of academics and sports. The graduation rates of nearly all its men’s and women’s teams are roughly the same as the student body at large - an unusual accomplishment. The task force gives BU a chance to preserve that balance, in the sport that most threatens to upset it.

http://bostonglobe.com/opinion/editorials/2012/02/25/task-force-must-underscore-need-for-hockey-team-change/3RK5HtwXqaktcDMJDQFuSO/story.html
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:14 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:In Globe today:

BU task force must underscore need for hockey team to change

FEBRUARY 25, 2012

BOSTON UNIVERSITY President Robert Brown has taken an important preliminary step in establishing a task force to examine the culture of BU’s hockey team. But it will take more than thoughtful conversation to repair the reputation of the team, of which two members have been accused of rape or sexual assault, amid numerous reports of boorish behavior and insensitivity to other students.

“To us, men’s hockey is like Duke basketball, Syracuse basketball, and USC and Texas football,’’ Brown said in an interview, indicating he knew precisely how much the alleged incidents could damage the reputation of a campus that has 33,000 graduate and undergraduate students.

While Brown is right to let the task force do its job before ordering any changes, one important addition might be designating a coach to monitor the behavior of athletes away from the rink. BU won the national hockey championship in 2009 and in the process became intertwined in a professionalized collegiate hockey culture that is arguably more complex than for football or basketball. College football and basketball players must stay utterly clear of the National Football League or National Basketball Association until they are drafted as seniors or leave college early.

Both alleged sexual assailants, Max Nicastro and Corey Trivino, were drafted by National Hockey League teams in 2008. Even with their dismissals, BU says nine of 24 current players have already been drafted by NHL teams. This means they train in professional camps and rub shoulders with the pros, then return to campus with an extra dose of testosterone-fueled entitlement. In addition, hockey players tend to be older than other students because many of them play in amateur development leagues between high school and college. Thus, even some sophomores are of drinking age. Several BU hockey players will turn 24 or 25 this year, while attending classes with 18- and 19-year-old undergrads.

All these factors make the hockey team a society unto itself. Policing this unit may be too overwhelming for the well-respected and three-time NCAA champion hockey coach Jack Parker. In a recent Globe interview, Parker sounded almost defeated, saying, “You can’t change the culture that’s evolved here; we’re not going to be able to step into people’s lives and change them drastically.’’

But BU hockey must change or give up the team. BU, which dropped its costly football program in the late 1990s, has built a deserved reputation as a major university with a proper balance of academics and sports. The graduation rates of nearly all its men’s and women’s teams are roughly the same as the student body at large - an unusual accomplishment. The task force gives BU a chance to preserve that balance, in the sport that most threatens to upset it.

http://bostonglobe.com/opinion/editorials/2012/02/25/task-force-must-underscore-need-for-hockey-team-change/3RK5HtwXqaktcDMJDQFuSO/story.html

And this is where the article lost me. I agree with the headline, not so sure I agree with the reasoning. Sounds like another person that is just blanketing every athlete as hopped up entitled partiers that have never heard "No" in their lives. Extrapolating a couple of incidents to an entire population usually works out well.

Edit: And the argument that BU became somehow more intertwined with the pro culture because of the 2009 championship is retarded beyond belief. I can only assume that the author's calling for a change to that culture, which means either changing the basic rules that run the NHL or field a weak team.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:36 pm

And this is where the article lost me. I agree with the headline, not so sure I agree with the reasoning. Sounds like another person that is just blanketing every athlete as hopped up entitled partiers that have never heard "No" in their lives. Extrapolating a couple of incidents to an entire population usually works out well.

Edit: And the argument that BU became somehow more intertwined with the pro culture because of the 2009 championship is retarded beyond belief. I can only assume that the author's calling for a change to that culture, which means either changing the basic rules that run the NHL or field a weak team.[/quote]

Agreed 110% not well written/reasoned.

I'll say this. There is a huge difference between the type of to be NHL players that BC gets and that BU gets. Just look at the All-Americans & 1st round draft picks that have been on the team in the past 5+ years. The vast vast majority are here for 3 years minimum. Down the street that just isn't the case.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:29 pm

Something in the water down the street?

http://www.boston.com/Boston/metrodesk/2012/02/boston-university-student-charged-with-assaulting-female-student-mugar-memorial-library/NgeMDRWI0RiaweZLsQt6EI/index.html?p1=Well_Local_Links

Boston University student charged with assaulting female BU student in Mugar Memorial Library
E-mail this article To: Invalid email address Add a personal message: Your e-mail: Invalid email address
Sending your articleYour article has been sent. E-mail| Print | Comments (5) 02/28/2012 4:14 PM
E-mail E-mail this article To: Invalid E-mail address Add a personal message:(80 character limit) Your E-mail: Invalid E-mail address
Sending your articleYour article has been sent.
By Alli Knothe, Globe Correspondent

A Boston University student pleaded not guilty Monday to assault charges filed after he allegedly put his hands under the shirt of a female student in the library this weekend, according to a spokesman for Suffolk District Attorney Daniel F. Conley’s office.

According to university spokesman Colin Riley, the female student told university police she was studying in the Mugar Memorial Library around 10 p.m. Sunday when a man struck up a conversation with her.

At some point, the man allegedly reached underneath the woman’s shirt and touched her stomach. The woman reported the incident to university police, which sent officers to the library and placed the man under arrest, according to Riley.

He was identified by Riley as Prateek Jain, 19, of Allston. He was charged with one count of assault and battery and bail was set at $500 cash, said Wark. Jain was also ordered to stay away from the victim while the case is pending, prosecutors said.

Riley said the incident was a violation of the Code of Student Responsibilities and a separate hearing will be held that may lead to disciplinary action by the university. Sanctions by the university can result in suspension or expulsion, he said.

The university has been in the spotlight lately after sexual assault charges against two members of the university's hockey team.

“Yes, there was one last weekend, there was one in December,’’ Riley said of the assaults against women on campus. “The president has convened a task force to look at these issues and we take them very seriously.’’

Jain is scheduled to return to Brighton District Court on March 23.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby AdamBC on Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:53 am

They really do look up to the hockey team on that 'campus' don't they?
AdamBC
Cushing Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:08 pm

None of this (at least so far) changes the fact that BU has a strong group of recruits in the pipeline (6 on the current NHL Midterm list). I doubt that's going to change until Parker goes (one way or another).
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:21 am

RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:None of this (at least so far) changes the fact that BU has a strong group of recruits in the pipeline (6 on the current NHL Midterm list). I doubt that's going to change until Parker goes (one way or another).

I want Parker around as long as possible. 1 Frozen Four in 14 years at that school? Major underachievement. Ever since York got BC off the ground he's been killing Parker on the ice and in recruiting locals.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:29 am

Dear Colleagues and Students,

As you know from my February 23 announcement, I am convening a Task Force on Men’s Hockey which will examine the culture of our men’s ice hockey team and report back to me in the summer. I am writing to let you know that the formation of the Task Force is now complete, and you may find a list of members and read the charge to the Task Force on my web site [http://www.bu.edu/president/letters-writings/letters/2012/3-07]. You can also find further information on BU Today [http://www.bu.edu/today/2012/president-names-task-force-on-ice-hockey].

This Task Force will meet and consult with the full spectrum of our community and outside experts. They will commence their work immediately and report their findings during the summer. This way, we will have an opportunity to consider how we can implement recommendations before the next academic year begins.

I am especially grateful to Dr. Jonathan Cole, chairman of the Academic Affairs Committee of the Board of Trustees, and University Provost Jean Morrison for taking on the important work of co-chairing this group.

Sincerely,

Robert A. Brown
President
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:33 am

So wait, every member is associated with BU?
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:20 am

bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:39 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/09/sports/hockey/arrests-prompting-hard-look-at-top-hockey-program.html?_r=2

You bastard, beat me to it.

Kudos to BU for making the NYT

With so many players participating in junior leagues before attending college, the result is a substantial age difference between the hockey players and the rest of the student body. According to a survey taken by Hockey East last October, the average freshman hockey player in Division I is more than 20 years old. The Terriers have seven players who are 23 or older, and Connolly and his fellow senior Kevin Gilroy turn 25 this year.

I think BC has 1 23 and up (Tommy Atkinson) and he was a walk on who doesn't play.

BTW regarding Nicastro, my barber cuts the hair of all the BU players & coaches. He says Max's situation was one where Max & female were out at a bar all night, nautre & alcohol took it's course & she realized what she did. But again this was from the hockey player POV. He also thought Parker is gone after this year, which I think is a possibility.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:41 pm

The worst of the charges against Trevino were dropped. Lack of evidence can be a pain in the balls.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/03/23/p ... ey-player/
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:54 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:The worst of the charges against Trevino were dropped. Lack of evidence can be a pain in the balls.

Regardless it seems from all signs the kid has a serious problem
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:12 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:The worst of the charges against Trevino were dropped. Lack of evidence can be a pain in the balls.

Jackie will be the first to tell ya that.

:bus
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:19 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

Btw think it was you, :kudos on the jackie's packie shirt. Well done
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:28 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

Btw think it was you, :kudos on the jackie's packie shirt. Well done

It was. Funny thing is, I never thought of it in this context. I'll have to get one and dye it red and white for next year's Beanpot.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:23 pm

Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:29 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:And this is where the article lost me. I agree with the headline, not so sure I agree with the reasoning. Sounds like another person that is just blanketing every athlete as hopped up entitled partiers that have never heard "No" in their lives. Extrapolating a couple of incidents to an entire population usually works out well.

Edit: And the argument that BU became somehow more intertwined with the pro culture because of the 2009 championship is retarded beyond belief. I can only assume that the author's calling for a change to that culture, which means either changing the basic rules that run the NHL or field a weak team.

I'll say this. There is a huge difference between the type of to be NHL players that BC gets and that BU gets. Just look at the All-Americans & 1st round draft picks that have been on the team in the past 5+ years. The vast vast majority are here for 3 years minimum. Down the street that just isn't the case.[/quote]

Agree to an extent.....but it goes beyond that. Most of these guys are recruited by both schools. You can make an argument that it's tough to judge the character of HS kids (especially in hockey, when a lot of 15/16-year-old kids are committing to schools these days, as opposed to football and basketball recruits who typically don't commit until the second half of their junior year at the earliest) and that there's a certain amount of self-selection going on--the kids with better character will tend to pick BC, the kids who want to sexually assault moderately attractive girls at frat parties will tend to pick BU. But that doesn't explain all of it. I think the culture of the two programs is the big difference here. IMO, a lot of these kids come out of HS and could easily go either way....but the culture at BC keeps the guys who go there in line (following the example set by the older guys who have been around for a year or longer and have fully bought in to the program by the time the new freshmen step on campus), and the culture at BU does the opposite for many of the guys who end up there.

(and yes, I realize this was posted over a month ago, but I hadn't seen it)
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby bignick33 on Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:53 pm

Some would say our time-honored tradition of riding the pony is marginally offensive. :laugh
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:21 pm

PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:And this is where the article lost me. I agree with the headline, not so sure I agree with the reasoning. Sounds like another person that is just blanketing every athlete as hopped up entitled partiers that have never heard "No" in their lives. Extrapolating a couple of incidents to an entire population usually works out well.

I'll say this. There is a huge difference between the type of to be NHL players that BC gets and that BU gets. Just look at the All-Americans & 1st round draft picks that have been on the team in the past 5+ years. The vast vast majority are here for 3 years minimum. Down the street that just isn't the case.

Agree to an extent.....but it goes beyond that. Most of these guys are recruited by both schools. You can make an argument that it's tough to judge the character of HS kids (especially in hockey, when a lot of 15/16-year-old kids are committing to schools these days, as opposed to football and basketball recruits who typically don't commit until the second half of their junior year at the earliest) and that there's a certain amount of self-selection going on--the kids with better character will tend to pick BC, the kids who want to sexually assault moderately attractive girls at frat parties will tend to pick BU. But that doesn't explain all of it. I think the culture of the two programs is the big difference here. IMO, a lot of these kids come out of HS and could easily go either way....but the culture at BC keeps the guys who go there in line (following the example set by the older guys who have been around for a year or longer and have fully bought in to the program by the time the new freshmen step on campus), and the culture at BU does the opposite for many of the guys who end up there.

(and yes, I realize this was posted over a month ago, but I hadn't seen it)[/quote]
I think part of it could possibly be the schools. I feel like there's a lot more sense of community at BC than at BU, which probably helps foster something. What it fosters, I can't exactly tell you, but it goes along with the point you were raising.

And thank you for reminding me of that hackjob article which basically fell on the "all athletes are animals and entitled douches" argument that everyone knows works so well every time it's applied (see: Lacrosse, Duke).
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:37 am

Former themes for the April 1st issue include Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter and this year's is Disney? Jesus Christ.

:ugeek:
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:01 am

I'm not offended, I'm just shocked by how unfunny those headlines are. :shrug
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:04 am

I can't tell if all the typos are from the original or the reprint, but to me, that is the most embarrassing thing in that article.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:31 am

...and the editor has resigned. If you're going to go out like that, at least make it funny or worth the effort.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:23 pm

Email that went out today:

TO: All Members of the Boston University Community

FROM: Jonathan Cole and Jean Morrison, Co-Chairs of the Men’s Ice
Hockey Task Force
DATE: April 9, 2012

SUBJECT: Men’s Ice Hockey Task Force – Call for Input

In March, President Brown established the Men’s Ice Hockey Task Force to assess the culture and climate of men's ice hockey at Boston University in the wake of charges of sexual assault against two members of the men’s ice hockey team (http://www.bu.edu/president/letters-...ers/2012/3-07/). The work of the Task Force is well under way. Our efforts are currently focused on gathering information and data that will enable us to assess whether the culture and climate of the hockey team are consistent with the values and mission of the University. As a reminder, our efforts are not directed at considering the guilt or innocence of the individuals who have been charged with sexual assault.

Gathering information from the Boston University community is an essential part of our efforts. Thus, we write to invite members of the BU community to provide relevant information, and to describe the ways in which to do so.

There are three different ways in which information may be provided to the Task Force. First, we will be hosting two Task Force Open Forums on campus. These are public meetings for members of the BU community to provide input to Task Force members. Members of the Task Force will be present at the Open Forums to listen to BU community input on issues that are relevant to the climate and culture of men's hockey.

The first Task Force Open Forum will take place on Wednesday, April 11th from 4:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. at Sargent Auditorium, 635 Commonwealth Ave. The second will take place on Monday, April 23rd from 4:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. in the Kenmore Classroom Building, Room 101, at 565 Commonwealth Ave. These sessions will be moderated by Dean of Students Kenneth Elmore and will employ clearly defined guidelines for participation.

Second, we have established a Task Force website which has a portal to receive written comments: http://www.bu.edu/hockey-task-force/. Members of the BU community are welcome to offer comments, either anonymously or by identifying themselves. Further guidelines for submitting comments are provided on the web site.

Third, members of the community are welcome to write letters, either anonymously or by identifying themselves, and send them to the Task Force in the care of the two chairs (Jean Morrison and Jonathan Cole) at Office of the Provost, Boston University, One Silber Way, Eighth Floor, Boston, MA 02215.

Please note that input provided with attribution will be more useful than unattributed information. For example, because the Task Force may wish to explore a particular matter in more detail, we may seek additional information from individuals who have provided attributed input.

Every reasonable effort will be made to protect the privacy and confidentiality of those who submit comments or letters, and of other individuals who may be identified in such communications to the Task Force. Because any apparent violation of law and/or Boston University policy that may come to light must be addressed, complete confidentiality may not be possible.

The deadline for providing information either via the web portal or directly in writing is 5:00 p.m. Friday, May 15, 2012.

We look forward to hearing from members of our community.

The anonymous letters gives epic trolling opportunity
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy