Another BU Player Arrested

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Another BU Player Arrested

Postby Endless Mike on Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:31 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:I'm kind of disappointed that Parker wasn't able to comment on this to the Globe. I'm sure it would've been as enlightened as his views usually are. Most likely, someone with half a brain at BU's press dept. finally realized they should keep him from talking about this.

He issued some press release stating that he's all for it, but there's no way he wrote that; it didn't have nearly enough F bombs.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:59 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:I'm kind of disappointed that Parker wasn't able to comment on this to the Globe. I'm sure it would've been as enlightened as his views usually are. Most likely, someone with half a brain at BU's press dept. finally realized they should keep him from talking about this.

The half a brain wasn't enough to keep the players from commenting. They're basically confirming the report.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby AdamBC on Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:37 pm

AdamBC
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:03 am

Then there is this...

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/2012/09/06/salacious-details-emerge-from-hockey-subcommittee-reports/ekiKZxGXpGgFfPQ4gzNQ9O/story.html

Graphic details emerge from BU hockey panel reports
Sex, drinking escapades by hockey players
Former Boston University hockey standout Corey Trivino pleaded guilty in August to assaulting a woman at his dorm in 2011.
By Mary Carmichael
Globe Staff / September 6, 2012

When Boston University released its report Wednesday on hockey players’ “culture of sexual entitlement,” it kept most of the investigation details — including accounts of sexual debauchery and wide-ranging allegations of academic trouble — confined to confidential subcommittee reports.

Related
9/5: Internal report cites ‘culture of sexual entitlement’ among some BU hockey players
8/7: Hockey player Trivino admits to assaulting woman at BU dorm
4/27: BU open with students, parents about wave of trouble
2/24: BU to investigate school’s hockey culture
2/20: BU hockey’s Nicastro arrested on rape charge
12/14/11: BU star Trivino arrested for assault

In the documents, which were obtained by the Globe on Thursday, were tales of a late-night 2009 NCAA championship party at Agganis Arena where dozens of guests drank from kegs in the locker room showers and took to the ice naked to shoot pucks.

“It was insane,” one former student who attended told the BU task force. “People were having sex in the penalty box.”

Campus police did not find out about the party, nor did BU administrators — until this year, when the task force started asking questions. During interviews with the task force, hockey coach Jack Parker also professed ignorance, at first saying he had never heard about the bash, but later acknowledging he knew of “a few guys drinking in the locker room.”

Yet at least two players and an athletics staffer told the task force that within days of the party, Parker reprimanded the entire team for its behavior.

The task force was launched in February after two BU hockey players were charged with sexual assault. Its public report made 14 sweeping recommendations, which the school intends to implement.

Provost Jean Morrison, who cochaired the task force, said the details in the subcommittee reports were kept confidential to protect the identities of students and staff who testified. She further said the school had been reluctant to publish some allegations the task force could not verify as true.

She defended the public report as “an extremely accurate reflection” of the subcommittee findings, “a full-throated characterization of the whole breadth of stuff that we saw.”

Yet the salacious details in the subcommittee documents put BU in an awkward position. The university is expected to launch a large fund-raising campaign later this month.

The subcommittee documents make clear that at least some BU hockey players, surrounded by adoring fans, had “the perception that they need not seek consent for sexual contact.”

One player came close to admitting that. “You don’t ask [permission for sex] when you are drunk,” he told the task force, adding that he did not see how the actions of the two players charged last year constituted sexual assault.

Another player used two slurs to describe women who “hook up with multiple guys,” then wondered, “What other word for them is there?”

A female student told the task force that a player had shoved his hands down her pants at a party and refused to stop even as she was punching him. She did not report the incident to authorities because, she said, “that’s just what [BU hockey players] do.”

Another told of a Facebook posting “in which hockey players boast about their sexual exploits,” referring to conquests as “kills.”

Parker told the task force he had stressed the importance of being respectful to women and advised players to avoid group sex, which the confidential report notes players engage in with surprising regularity. “However,” Parker is quoted as saying, “my job is not to say, ‘You guys gotta be celibate.’ ”

Parker did not return phone calls from the Globe on Wednesday or Thursday.

The subcommittee findings also note that some BU hockey players have SAT scores “far below the vast majority of their classmates,” and that recently an increasing percentage have enrolled in the school’s continuing-education program instead of its traditional undergraduate colleges. The university recently banned that practice.

Faculty members gave the task force mixed assessments of hockey players as students. One professor described them as “respectful, prepared, and active.” But another told of six players who intimidated classmates, answered their cellphones mid-lecture, and “tried to ‘hijack’ his course,” the report says. The professor told the leader of the group to shape up; instead, all six players dropped the class.

The report also contains troubling, if poorly supported, allegations about academic special treatment for athletes. One faculty member said a colleague had cautioned her that the grades she submitted for hockey players might differ from those ultimately entered on transcripts — an allegation Morrison called “extremely inflammatory” and said was unsupported by the evidence.

A student also told the task force that players were allowed to skip classes even when their athletic schedules did not present conflicts. Morrison disputed that as well.

“Stuff that is patently false gets circulated all the time at universities,” she said. “We’re a big place.”

The school faces a dilemma regarding Parker, who has coached the team for almost four decades.

According to both the public and the private report, Parker and his coaching staff were essentially given carte blanche for overseeing the team’s behavior. One team member said Parker “cares too much about hurting the important players’ feelings. . . . He’ll criticize, then apologize.”

Some BU administrators said they were frustrated that Parker had failed to notify them about the 2009 party and other potential disciplinary issues. Acting on the task force’s recommendation, the school has stripped Parker of one of his two titles, executive athletic director.

But Parker will continue as coach. He will earn the same salary, and there will be no further consequences for him, BU president Robert A. Brown said Thursday.

That is partly because the task force could not find any specific university rule that Parker broke in failing to relay information up BU’s chain of command.

The university also has its hands tied regarding the popular local bar T’s Pub, which is cited in the private report as “part of the problem” and as a place where hockey players until recently could drink for free without showing IDs.

Although BU officials have approached the bar’s owners with concerns, Morrison said, ultimately there is little they can do: “T’s is an independent business. We can’t manage them.”
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:58 am

The "take what you want attitude" isn't good and can lead to some pretty bad things if no one tells them no from any part of their life. And no, Parker, that doesn't mean telling them "no group sex." I've heard it said that this attitude exists in other big time sports colleges and that's most definitely true, too. But it doesn't make it right.

The academic accusations are pretty bad for BU, I thought. What a clown school and program.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby bignick33 on Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:18 am

I found the report to be extremely candid and damning. But, it doesn't seem like they're doing much to fix the problem.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:31 am

The drunken, naked party on Agganis sounds hilarious. Nothing like going bar down from the circles whilst nude.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby bignick33 on Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:34 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:The drunken, naked party on Agganis sounds hilarious. Nothing like going bar down from the circles whilst nude.

bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:10 am

This report sounds familiar...

#TeamOutlaw
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:18 am

Skating naked at Agganis? Don't see the appeal, but maybe that's just me.

First, some of this shit happens at every school, with every program. The idea of entitlement, kids with grades/SATs lower than the general population, easier classes, etc. Our hockey program hasn't been immune to issues either. O'Hanley & Motherwell had their demons that got them tossed 5 years ago, the T incident (though it was determined the T driver was at fault *shocking I know* -the players were not completely innocent in the situation).

The difference between that program and others is obviously they cross the line. It truly is a culture issue, they (I'm including Parker) have minimal respect for the school, the program, and really each other. How many years in a row has a player gotten tossed from that program? And it's clear based on the actions of Trivino that it takes a lot of strikes for Parker to give you the boot.

The incident of the players going out the night before their season being on the line in 2010. Talk about throwing everything you've worked for all year away.

The problem is, they (again I'm including Parker), don't see the problem in their actions.

Starting at the top:
Campus police did not find out about the party, nor did BU administrators — until this year, when the task force started asking questions. During interviews with the task force, hockey coach Jack Parker also professed ignorance, at first saying he had never heard about the bash, but later acknowledging he knew of “a few guys drinking in the locker room.”

Yet at least two players and an athletics staffer told the task force that within days of the party, Parker reprimanded the entire team for its behavior.

Having the face of your program and arguably your school lying to the task force really shows how valuable it was.

“However,” Parker is quoted as saying, “my job is not to say, ‘You guys gotta be celibate.’ ”

Talk about missing the point.

Then to the players:
“You don’t ask [permission for sex] when you are drunk,” he told the task force, adding that he did not see how the actions of the two players charged last year constituted sexual assault.

Another player used two slurs to describe women who “hook up with multiple guys,” then wondered, “What other word for them is there?”

Really? Are you that stupid? Even if it was what you believe (talking more to the 1st quote but the 2nd as well) how are you dumb enough to tell the task force?

There have been many BU fans saying it's time for Parker to go long before all this shit hit the fan for performance reasons (1 Frozen 4 in 15 years with the amount of talent he gets is an embarrassment). It seems like there is more than enough evidence to say the old man has long overstayed his welcome
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:21 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:the T incident (though it was determined the T driver was at fault *shocking I know* -the players were not completely innocent in the situation).

I kind of wish BUC still came around here. Remember him freaking out about this and our reaction to it like it was some huge scandal and refusing to back down when it became more and more clear that the students were being dumb in a few respects (beer in the car, running from cops), but the T driver was the cause of the accident.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby bignick33 on Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:30 am

I'm starting to think Saponari must have done something abominable to get the boot, or more likely he probably got a raw deal from BU.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:32 am

Honestly, a far, far majority of these things happens at every school with a strong to decent hockey presence. It's pretty much a general culture that permeates throughout hockey in general, though to a lesser degree at less prolific levels. Hockey players are, very generally speaking, similar creatures, largely due to the culture of the locker room, where pretty much everything is fair game but nothing, absolutely NOTHING, leaves. Sure there are varying degrees of scumbaggery and a couple of players clearly crossed the line, but reading through the report, it's nothing I haven't heard before.

And skating whilst naked and ripping wristers at the crossbar, let alone while your drunk, sounds like a good time to me, again, if only for the locker room story.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby Fire Spaz on Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:36 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Skating naked at Agganis? Don't see the appeal, but maybe that's just me.

I had the same thought until a arrived at a section later in the article that was discussing sex in the penalty box. At that point I changed my opinion on the naked skating because I then assumed it was either co-ed skating or being carried out by players that preferred the company of men.
Wikipedia {l Wrote}:Spaziani is known as a wordsmith often answering interview questions with unintelligible murmurs or seemingly invented words. He has been honored by his peers as the most underqualified coach ever assigned to a head coaching role at a Division 1 school
Fire Spaz
McGuinn Hall

Postby bignick33 on Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:37 am

Fire Spaz {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:Skating naked at Agganis? Don't see the appeal, but maybe that's just me.

I had the same thought until a arrived at a section later in the article that was discussing sex in the penalty box. At that point I changed my opinion on the naked skating because I then assumed it was either co-ed skating or being carried out by players that preferred the company of men.

I assumed "penalty box" was a glorious pun for a fat chick's vag. But, perhaps I am reading too much into it.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:21 am

The sex and stuff is nothing. I've heard many similar firsthand accounts of acts within BC's various programs that make this report sound like a Disney flick.

It's the response of the coaches and athletic department to the various incidents that is bothersome. Jack may have not heard the smacking of buttcheeks, but he clearly knows about what's been going on.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:31 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:The sex and stuff is nothing. I've heard many similar firsthand accounts of acts within BC's various programs that make this report sound like a Disney flick.

It's the response of the coaches and athletic department to the various incidents that is bothersome. Jack may have not heard the smacking of buttcheeks, but he clearly knows about what's been going on.

and he borderline covered it up
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:37 am

bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:53 am

The writer of the first article used to be a frequent poster on USCHO.

She was waayyyyyy too close to the players to have much journalistic integrity on the subject IMO.

I know of NOTHING SEXUAL though
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:54 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:The writer of the first article used to be a frequent poster on USCHO.

She was waayyyyyy too close to the players to have much journalistic integrity on the subject IMO.

Stuff like that reminds me of when Jayme Parker used to interview our football players in their dorm rooms on that NESN BC pregame show 5 to 7 years ago.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby ConcernedEagle on Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:00 am

What a complete bunch of slime. Fire Parkers. Shut down sucks to BU hockey for a year or two. Cess pool.

Loving the 4th grade, "everyone's doing it" mea culpa some post on here.

Jack Parker is a complete and total piece of shit - and so are how knuckle-dragging kids.

This shit does NOT go on at BC. And we still beat their sorry asses anyway.

This story is yet another exemplar of what sucks about sports.
ConcernedEagle
Carney Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:03 am

ConcernedEagle {l Wrote}:This shit does NOT go on at BC.

The actions of student-athletes or the looking the other way/cover-up of the adults?

The first obviously happens. The second - I feel confident it does not, but there's no doubt that treatment of a student-athlete differs from the regular population.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby shockdoct on Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:43 am

:laugh

Sunday night mass anyone?

Granted it never really reached the levels described in this report, it wasn't that far behind.
shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:05 pm

I know you're talking about the hockey team, but we did have a DE on our football team follow a girl home and sexually assault her a few years back. Pretty similar to some of the accusations at BU. This is unfortunately very much a college sports problem and it exists at BC as well.

Where we differ, IMO, is that we don't let our coaches deal with it internally, cover it up, and keep the university out of it as a whole.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby bignick33 on Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:11 pm

shockdoct {l Wrote}:Sunday night mass anyone?

There were puck-fucks for club hockey. Hell, there were puck-fucks for INTRAMURAL hockey. You better believe that some wild shit went on for the varsity guys. They just had better knowledge of the line. And, that is probably in part due to the fact that the administration won't cover the tracks.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:20 pm

Globe blowhard calls for Parker's ouster:

http://bostonglobe.com/metro/2012/09/07 ... story.html
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:21 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:The writer of the first article used to be a frequent poster on USCHO.

Stuff like that reminds me of when Jayme Parker used to interview our football players in their dorm rooms on that NESN BC pregame show 5 to 7 years ago.

BTW this is what she wrote after Trivino got arrested...

the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:22 pm

bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:24 pm

bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:25 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:Globe blowhard calls for Parker's ouster:

http://bostonglobe.com/metro/2012/09/07 ... story.html

"His 40-year tenure may well be one for the record books."

OOOOOOOOO, sorry. Jerry York's going to have the record books when its all said and done. Shucks.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Kelley Rink