Great Article on the Team

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Great Article on the Team

Postby claver2010 on Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:19 am

For those who don't follow this team religiously this is a great update article on the season thus far. :kudos to York for working in troika into a quote

Boston College may be putting it all together at the right time
By Dave Hendrickson • Hockey East Columnist • Feb. 9, 2012

If you’re a Boston College fan, this season has been one of the most maddening in recent history. Despite significant losses from last year’s club, the Eagles took clear top billing in the Hockey East preseason coaches’ poll with seven of the nine first-place votes. (BC coach Jerry York could not vote for his own team. Hence, seven of nine instead of 10.)

The Eagles opened the season in grand fashion, winning eight of their first nine games, including five wins over teams that are now nationally ranked. So much for the attrition, most of us thought. It’s another Frozen Four year for BC.

Not so fast.

After that sizzling opening, the Eagles plummeted back to Earth with a 6-9-1 stretch that ended three weekends ago with a sweep at the hands of Maine. During that time, they managed back-to-back wins only once. The question was no longer whether BC was Frozen Four-bound but whether it was NCAA tournament-bound at all. And considering the five-pack atop Hockey East, getting to the Garden wasn’t even a foregone conclusion.

“We had some concerns coming into the year,” York says. “That senior class [Joe Whitney, Brian Gibbons, and John Muse] was such a dynamic class for us. Then when Cam Atkinson, Jimmy Hayes and Philip Samuelsson left, all of a sudden we were looking at not just the Whitney, Gibbons, and Muse troika. All of a sudden, it became six. That was the heart and soul of our club.”

So there have been growing pains, more than usual at the Heights. The Eagles, however, may have finally turned the corner. Two weekends ago, they swept New Hampshire. Then after a blank slate weekend, they demolished Northeastern 7-1, looking like the juggernaut of past seasons.

“Five of the 12 forwards are freshman and they’re getting a little bit better,” York says. “Barry Almeida is coming on and Chris Kreider is starting to become the player I envisioned he’d be on a more consistent basis.

“So if we can get solid in goal, I think we can become more consistent and make a pretty good stretch run.”

Aye, there’s the rub. Three weeks ago, Jim Connelly wrote about the BC inconsistencies in net that drove York to give senior Chris Venti the first starts of his career. Three-headed goaltending rotations rarely, if ever, fare well.

For now, Parker Milner has reestablished himself as the go-to guy, backstopping the three straight wins, his first action since the new year. Will that continue? We’ll have to wait and see.

In the meantime, the BC offense appears to have shifted into high gear at just the right time.

“They put a lot of pressure on you,” Northeastern coach Jim Madigan said after BC’s 7-1 humbling of his squad. “They’re coming all the time, regardless of whether you’re on the power play, a man down or five-on-five. Defensive zone, neutral zone, offensive zone. They’re just coming. They’ve got a high skill level and have a lot of confidence in their players.”

Which sounds like BC championship teams of recent vintage.

“We’ve got some players with good offensive instincts,” York says. “If they see a loose puck, they can jump on it and make a play. They can make something out of nothing. Speed allows you to do those things.”

Nowhere is that highlighted more than on the penalty kill, where Eagles defenders attack with regularity. The BC PK ranks first in Hockey East not only in percentage (86.5) but also in short-handed goals (10). Over the course of 28 games and 133 short-handed situations, some five-on-three, BC trails only 18-10. That’s a remarkable statistic. Perhaps Eagles fans should create an “Even strength!” chant for their penalty kill.

“If we can create a situation where [our opponent] has to make four or five passes to score a goal, so be it,” York says. “It’s hard to do that under pressure. Any situation where we’re down a man — [but] maybe not five-on-three — we try to really pressure and cause disruption. We try not to let teams do what they like to do.”

Having the right personnel helps, of course. But BC has been helping itself in that regard for many years under York’s guidance, opting for a mix that includes the small, quick player who can best exert that pressure. Brian Gionta. Ben Eaves. Nathan Gerbe. Brian Gibbons. Joe Whitney.

“I think we were one of the first college programs to recognize that smaller players who play with grit and are strong on their skates can be major, major factors in the game,” York says. “But you also have to have players like Chris Kreider, Jimmy Hayes, and Kevin Hayes — some of those bigger, stronger players. We look for a bit of balance.”

The Eagles seem to again have the balance they look for every year. If the goaltending comes through, look out.

http://www.uscho.com/2012/02/09/boston-college-may-be-putting-it-all-together-at-the-right-time/#ixzz1ltVAUbDm
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Re: Great Article on the Team

Postby DuchesneEast on Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:11 am

I love how York always has them coming together at the right time and has the momentum building. I guess that's why last year really hurt.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:25 pm

York talked about Almeida coming on, he's been great.

23 goals in his 3 years coming into this season, 17 this season thus far (tied for 1st w Kreider). He was playing a grinder role first couple of seasons and now is really showing the scoring touch. 7 goals in his last 5 games.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:32 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:York talked about Almeida coming on, he's been great.

23 goals in his 3 years coming into this season, 17 this season thus far (tied for 1st w Kreider). He was playing a grinder role first couple of seasons and now is really showing the scoring touch. 7 goals in his last 5 games.

Oh and what goals they've been! The earlier offensive struggles were not because of lack of shots or chances...it was simply finishing and they're starting to find their stride. The excitement for another patented JerryRun is building. Can't wait for Monday (yes, I'm totally overlooking UVM).
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby wolverineneshl on Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:34 pm

Let's see if other BC players pick up the slack too.
wolverineneshl
McGuinn Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:17 am

York hit the nail on the head to start the year saying we might not have any 30 goal scorers but we'll have a lot of 15 & 20.

Some other thoughts:

Kevin Hayes has played excellent of late, remember it was the end of his sophomore year that his older brother really started to take control.

Johnny Gaudreau is now 4 goals away from tying Kreider (15) for most goals by a freshman since Kobasew (27 in 2000-01)
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:55 pm

Good article on Almeida, that's been told but is a crazy story:
http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/mens_hockey/articles/2012/02/12/boston_colleges_barry_almeida_having_a_career_year/
For BC’s Almeida, triumph follows trauma
By Nancy Marrapese-Burrell
There was a time, beginning in the summer of 2006, when Barry Almeida’s young hockey career was in jeopardy.

The Springfield native, who had committed in May of that year to play for Boston College, was at a family bonfire celebrating his high school graduation when a bottle exploded and a piece of glass lodged in one of his eyes.

The injury required multiple surgeries to restore his vision. He missed much of the next season recovering, and then played the 2007-08 campaign with the USHL’s Omaha Lancers before heading to BC.

Nearly six years later, Almeida is having a career year. The 23-year-old left wing heads into tomorrow night’s Beanpot championship game against Boston University with 17 goals - more than twice his output from last year.

He has 9 points in the last six games, seven of them goals.

BC coach Jerry York said Almeida has persevered.

“He certainly has impaired vision in one eye, and I think it took him a while to adjust,’’ said York. “He came up the ladder a little bit freshman, sophomore, and junior years, and now he’s taken four giant steps up the ladder.

“He’s always been a good player for us, solid. This is a completely different level he’s playing on this year and he’s putting up some great numbers.’’

Almeida said the eye injury, though traumatic, made him appreciate his family, his friends, and the sport of hockey.

“[My family] was a huge part of getting me back healthy and keeping me positive,’’ he said. “When you don’t have hockey, it’s tough, especially when you’ve been playing it for so long.

“But what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger, and it made me stronger. It made me more hungry to come back and play. It was a setback for me but I learned a lot. It was something I had to overcome and I’m fortunate enough to still be playing.’’

He said he has adapted to his altered vision and it hasn’t been an issue in quite a while.

“It’s not 100 percent, but it works,’’ he said. “To be honest, it’s been like this for so long, I don’t notice the difference at all.’’

What is different for Almeida is his production. In his first three seasons at BC, he had 7, 8, and 8 goals. He has found a groove playing on a line with center Bill Arnold and right wing Steven Whitney. The trio ended last year together and York reunited them for a series against New Hampshire Jan. 27-28. Since the reunion, the Eagles are 4-0-0.

“They’re two great players and it’s so much fun playing with them,’’ said Almeida. “Bill in the middle is so hard-working, he’ll get you the puck. He kind of does it all. He makes good plays.

“Steve is a crafty, skilled forward but also works hard. I just try to get open and then get the puck to them and they’ll get it back to you. We kind of feed off each other.’’

Early in his college career, Almeida had to fight for playing time. York knew he was going to be a valuable player, it was just a matter of getting used to the system and the college game.

“It’s been kind of a roller coaster for me,’’ said Almeida. “I was kind of like a bottom-six penalty-kill guy and bought into the system.

“There were some unbelievable skilled forwards that we had. I was fortunate enough to play with them.

“I was fortunate enough this year for the coaches to look at me in a different role. I accepted it and I’m just having fun with it and enjoying it and doing everything I can to help the team.’’

That defensive role served him well during the 2009-10 season when the Eagles won the NCAA title.

“My sophomore year, I kind of bought into a defensive role and became a penalty killer,’’ he said. “When you’re on good teams, that’s what you have to do. The team is always first.

“I think that’s a huge part of why we won that year - guys knew their roles and played them exceptionally well.’’

Now that he’s a senior, Almeida said he knows he has more college games behind him than in front of him, and he wants to savor every moment.

“It really has flown by,’’ he said. “It’s crazy to think it’s my senior year and down the stretch of my last season at BC.

“Obviously, you want to go out a winner. I think we have what it takes to go for a run down the stretch and late into the spring.

“I’ve been fortunate enough to play with some great players, have my best friends here, and play for great coaches in a great program. I wouldn’t trade it for anything.’’
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:31 pm

Kreider article in the times today, nothing earth shattering but some good quotes.

Help for the Rangers Waits in the Wings at Boston College
By CHRISTOPHER BOTTA
Published: February 12, 2012

The Rangers’ need for a fast and powerful forward with a scoring touch could be filled in the next few months, but not by a trade or an expensive free-agent signing. The Rangers’ best prospect is playing for fifth-ranked Boston College in the championship game of the 60th annual Beanpot tournament on Monday at TD Garden in Boston.

Chris Kreider, the Rangers’ first-round draft pick in 2009, will probably sign with the team at the end of his college season, which will be no later than the N.C.A.A. title game on April 7. Kreider, a 20-year-old junior, could be available to play for the Rangers or their minor league affiliate in Connecticut at the end of the season and in the playoffs.

Kreider declined to divulge his plans in a recent interview. Jerry York, the Boston College coach, would only say that Kreider faced an important decision.

“I’ll sit down with Chris at the end of our season,” said York, the Eagles’ coach for the last 18 years. “The question I always ask top prospects in his situation is, ‘Do you want to finish your collegiate career with the teammates in your graduating class?’ That’s a big deal for many college players.”

Kreider pondered the same question after his sophomore year. The Rangers wanted him, but Kreider decided another year at Boston College would help his education and his game.

“It probably would have put a damper on my development as a hockey player,” Kreider said of playing in the Rangers’ system this season.

The decision to stay in college has worked in his favor. Kreider leads the Eagles in scoring this season with 18 goals and 33 points in 29 games, already setting highs for his college career. He was 6 feet 1 inch and 205 pounds when he arrived at Boston College but is now listed at 6-3 and 225 pounds.

He has also shown a knack for big plays. In April 2010, Kreider scored in Boston College’s 5-0 victory over Wisconsin in the N.C.A.A. championship game. As a member of the American team at the World Junior Championship, the international competition for players under 20, Kreider won a gold medal in 2010 and a bronze in 2011. And last month, Kreider scored the decisive goal while killing a penalty in Boston College’s 2-1 win over Northeastern at Fenway Park.

The Eagles won the Beanpot the past two years and will face top-ranked Boston University in this year’s final. Kreider is 9-0 in games at TD Garden, a run that includes five victories in the Beanpot and consecutive titles in the Hockey East tournament.

“I’ve made some pretty big strides,” Kreider said. “I’m learning from a great coaching staff here, so I’m just trying to take advantage of that. I’m continuing to work on puck protection, getting my shot off in traffic and in tight areas, disguising my shot more, shooting off the rush.”

Scouts predict Kreider will be a 30-goal scorer in the N.H.L., and they say he could be productive from the start of his career.

“Chris has the strength and speed of a pro,” said Gordie Clark, the Rangers’ director of player personnel. “He has a pretty rare ability to create offense on his own, and he has developed every aspect of his game while in a great college hockey program. He has a chance to be a valuable player for us in the near future.”

Kreider has prepared for the opportunity. Keeping a promise to his parents to make his education a priority, Kreider completed four courses last summer to accelerate the process of earning his degree from Boston College’s Carroll School of Management. On the ice, he continues to work on his speed, which is on a par with the Rangers rookie Carl Hagelin, a Michigan graduate who won the fastest skater competition last month during the N.H.L.’s All-Star weekend.

“There’s a lot of weight room stuff, dry-land training, working on your form and flexibility,” Kreider said. “You can be the strongest guy in the world, but if you don’t have a good stride it doesn’t mean much. I’ve gotten more efficient as a skater over the last couple of years.”

General managers are reluctant to sign college players late in the N.H.L. season because if a player makes the lineup for even one game, a year is counted on his three-year entry-level contract, moving him closer to free agency.

But Rangers General Manager Glen Sather may not think twice about signing Kreider this spring when the Eagles’ season ends, especially if the Rangers lose a top forward to injury after the Feb. 27 trade deadline.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/13/sports/hockey/rangers-top-pick-makes-strides-at-boston-college.html?_r=1
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:09 pm

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204795304577219393422893110.html?KEYWORDS=beanpot

Little blurb on the Beanpot in the Journal today

The Beanpot tournament is one of the oldest and most cherished traditions in Boston sports. For the past 60 years, four major-college hockey teams—Boston College, Boston University, Harvard and Northeastern—have competed in a winter tournament for ultimate local bragging rights.

Just one problem: Half of the four schools never win anymore.

In one of the most dismal dry spells in sports, Harvard hasn't won the Beanpot since 1993, while Northeastern has lost every year since 1988. Boston College and Boston University will play each other in the final again Monday, meaning that for the 19th straight year, one of them will prevail.

It's a remarkable stretch, especially considering either Harvard or Northeastern is guaranteed to play in the title game in the years that they face each other in the semifinals.

That's not to say they haven't come close over the years. Northeastern pushed Boston College to overtime in the title game last year. Harvard has forced overtime in the final three different times since the streak began.

Boston University in particular has dominated the tournament during the streak, winning 12 titles. But as overmatched as Harvard and Northeastern have been, they can at least take comfort in their performance in the women's tournament: They've combined to win 29 of the 34 women's Beanpots all-time.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:19 pm

But as overmatched as Harvard and Northeastern have been, they can at least take comfort in their performance in the women's tournament: They've combined to win 29 of the 34 women's Beanpots all-time.

:cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:52 am

Kreider in trade rumor to Columbus http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/hockey/rangers/ny-rangersr-rumored-interested-rick-nash-columbus-blue-jackets-article-1.1022073

NHL.com reported that Howson met with Flyers GM Paul Holmgren, but the Ottawa Sun’s report speculated that Columbus “may demand” Brandon Dubinsky, prospect Chris Kreider and a No. 1 pick for Nash.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:07 pm

The Rangers would then have four guys making over $6.5M AAV through 2014. They could get it done but their bottom 6 would be beyond thin.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:45 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:The Rangers would then have four guys making over $6.5M AAV through 2014. They could get it done but their bottom 6 would be beyond thin.

I woudn't make the trade
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:01 am

Apparently it's a minimum of Dubinsky, Kreider & a #1

NY Post {l Wrote}:The Post had been told the opening asking price for Nash is in excess of the package speculated to feature Brandon Dubinsky, Kreider and a first-round draft choice.

It is likely Columbus GM Scott Howson has asked for Derek Stepan and/or Ryan McDonagh in addition to Kreider, a first-rounder and perhaps Dubinsky. Artem Anisimov, Carl Hagelin and Michael Del Zotto — in other words, pretty much the entire stable — are also potential targets.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/rangers/chemistry_clash_flCko5itE0fZUXNUlvOYwK#ixzz1mSlR63vT

Why don't they ask for Lundqvist while they're at it :shrug
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:27 am

If they don't get a stud defenseman or goalie they can build around the trade will be a failure. McDonagh nice but he doesn't seem like a guy that can anchor a backline. The Kings seem like a good trade partner given they have Bernier and could also give up Jack Johnson but I don't think they have to cap space, what with Kopitar, Richards and Doughty making big money and Quick set to get a big raise after next year IIRC. That contract and the uncertainty of the labor situation scares me from a guy with a contract that big.

I just hope they don't get anywhere close to Dougie Hamilton. The guy was top 10 in scoring in the OHL as a defenseman before his recent suspension. Ah, Phil Kessel, the gift that keeps on giving.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:29 am

Melrose was on ESPN this morning saying the deal was dead-in-the-water and the Rangers told Columbus to go screw. While Nash is obviously an elite talent, the Ranger brass doesn't want to mess with the perfect chemistry this team appears to possess. Also, they apparently think Kreider is going to be "a decade-long All Star". In 1993-1994 season, the Rangers traded away Tony Amonte and Doug Weight. I'd still do that today because at that point you had to burn all the furniture to end the "1940" shit. With that said, the 15 years of almost total futility that began after 1996, was a direct result of trading away to future perrenial All Stars (and likely HOFers). While Dolan may or may not have absorbed that lesson, Sather, who was saddled with that trainwreck has apparently absorbed it.

I only wish the Rangers could have traded Hugh Jessiman in a blockbuster back in the day.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:14 am

My brother used to randomly run into Hugh Jessiman a bunch. The guy was always either hammered or scarfing down like three greasy slices of pizza. It's no wonder he was the last first rounder from his class to play in the NHL.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:12 pm

This week's 5 min major from Kreider:

Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:39 am

Article on York

http://www.uscho.com/2012/02/23/jerry-york-and-a-remarkable-string-of-success-at-boston-college/

Jerry York and a remarkable string of success at Boston College
By Dave Hendrickson • Hockey East Columnist • Feb. 23, 2012

Was it really 15 years ago that I interviewed Boston College coach Jerry York for a feature celebrating his 500th win? At first glance, my instinct tells me that it can’t have been that long ago. Had to only be 10 years, 11 tops. But time does fly and it’s been 15. He’s now at 901 and counting.

Then the math sinks in. Has Jerry York really accumulated 400 wins in just 15 years? The math couldn’t get much more impressive. In the 14 full seasons since York hit the 500 milestone, he’s averaged 26.5 wins a year. If you throw out his 18-win seasons following the 2001 and 2008 national championships, that average goes up to 28.75. Other than those two years when the celebratory losses to the pros were near-insurmountable, his worst season has included 24 wins.

Read that again. A worst season of 24 wins.

“You reach milestones like that by being able to coach for 40 years,” Boston University coach Jack Parker said after hearing the news. “The reason he’s been able to be a coach for 40 years is because he’s been a real successful coach; he hasn’t been fired. Sometimes coaches get fired, and they don’t get a chance to coach that long.

“I think the more remarkable thing is how many of those wins took place at Boston College, where he’s had an unbelievable turnaround. When he got there, that place wasn’t doing too well and they’ve been fabulous since his second or third year there.

“He might get credit for 900 wins, but they ought to talk about how many wins he’s gotten at BC and how many big wins they’ve gotten at BC. They’ve had a fabulous run while he’s been the coach there.”

Indeed.

Thus, it seemed fitting that York and Duke basketball coaching legend Mike Krzyzewski (923 career wins) met after Sunday’s BC-Duke basketball game. Somehow you suspect they were picking each other’s brains on ways to speed the trip to 1,000.

Congratulations.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:47 pm

Update on Kreider, Brooks says Rangers consider him an "untouchabe"

Sources familiar with the parameters of the discussions between Sather and Columbus counterpart Scott Howson have told The Post the Rangers have designated Ryan McDonagh, Michael Del Zotto, 2009 first-rounder Chris Kreider and 2011 first-rounder J.T. Miller as untouchables when the Blue Jackets requested their inclusion in the package for Nash, the 27-year-old power winger who is being dangled to deep-pocket contenders.

It is believed that Sather, who is not fazed by the ramifications of adding Nash's contract that runs through 2017-18 at a cap hit of $7.8 million per year, is prepared to send Brandon Dubinsky, Christian Thomas, and perhaps 2010 first-rounder Dylan McIlrath plus a first round pick to Columbus in order to bring the 6-foot-4, 220-pound, nine-year veteran to Broadway.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:49 pm

$7.8 mil...geeze. I didn't realize it was that high. He's really good, but that's a higher hit that Stamkos'.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:59 pm

Dylan McIlrath is not a very good prospect. He's an enforcer that can move the puck okay in juniors. And his fighting skills become a lot more diminished considering he's a defenseman and you don't want to lose them for 5 minutes too often.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:20 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:Dylan McIlrath is not a very good prospect. He's an enforcer that can move the puck okay in juniors. And his fighting skills become a lot more diminished considering he's a defenseman and you don't want to lose them for 5 minutes too often.

Yeah if the Rangers don't move off their proposed package of players, it's not happening
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:20 pm

Wolski to Florida for a 3rd and an AHLer. Wonder what this is foreshadowing...
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:46 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:Wolski to Florida for a 3rd and an AHLer. Wonder what this is foreshadowing...

@TheFourthPeriod From what I hear re NYR: CBJ wants Stepan badly, but will "settle" for Hagelin. Dubinsky, Kreider, Stepan-or-Hagelin & pick (not nec. a 1st)

Sorry that's absurd
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:14 pm

I've also heard the Rags are willing to give up one of DZ or McDonagh, a first and a prospect who I forget (not McIlrath). Regardless, I think something will go down soon and the faster they can get in cap hell, the better. The Rangers would have about half the cap dedicated to four players.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:53 pm

I have a feeling after the NHL deadline, Kreider's going to have a monster playoff run.

I'm sure these rumors are playing a role in his scoring drought
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:45 am

Little article on Almeida:

http://bostonherald.com/sports/college/hockey/view/20220227bcs_almeida_finishing_strong/srvc=sports&position=also

BC’s Barry Almeida finishing strong
By John Connolly / N.E. Hockey
Monday, February 27, 2012 - Updated 11 hours ago

It’s difficult not to draw a favorable comparison between Boston College forward Barry Almeida and former Eagles star Chris Collins based on what each did in their senior season.

Collins entered his final year (2005-06) at The Heights with an aggregate total of 29 goals in his first three years. He then scored 34 goals as a senior to become a Hobey Baker Memorial Award Hat Trick finalist and lead BC into the NCAA title game before falling, 2-1, to Wisconsin.

Similarly, Almeida, a speedy left winger from Springfield, entered this season with a combined 23 goals in his first three years, but has hit the back of the net with greater regularity this season. In Saturday’s 7-0 pasting of Providence, Almeida scored his 19th goal and could top his total output from the three previous years before the season is out.

“Each of the seniors is having their best season. Each is enjoying a career year in their last year, so that’s pretty gratifying for a coach,” BC coach Jerry York said. “But that’s a good comparison with Chris Collins. Both were very productive players in other areas in their first three years in terms of hard work and grit. Now, just like Chris, (Almeida’s) confidence level with the puck is so much better. His shots are so much more quick and accurate. It’s great to see.”

Almeida would rather talk about winning than statistics.

“It doesn’t enter my mind,” Almeida said. “I just try to play the right way and if I do that, then good things will happen. Plus, playing with good linemates like Billy Arnold (Needham) and Steve Whitney (Reading) helps. Bill will get you the puck anywhere you want it, and Steve is a very crafty player who can also bury the puck. It’s fun to play with them. But the best part is that we’re winning.”
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:40 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:I have a feeling after the NHL deadline, Kreider's going to have a monster playoff run.

I'm sure these rumors are playing a role in his scoring drought

My Kreider prediction is based on him going through his longest scoreless drought all season (4 games).
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DuchesneEast on Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:48 pm

2. No doubt, Boston College is the clear favorite

Anyone who doubted that BC was the team to beat after a two-game sweep at Maine on January 20 and 21 has learned by now that doubt was misdirected. Since those two losses, the Eagles have won nine straight and are two wins next weekend at home versus Vermont from entering the post-season on an 11-game win streak. It is a pattern we have seen very often from the Eagles, but even so, last weekend’s desimiation of Providence by a combined 10-0 score proved this team is now in a completely different league than the nine other Hockey East clubs. I don’t know what will bring this team back to Earth. And if they never arrive back, expect another national title in Chestnut Hill.

Read more: http://www.uscho.com/hockey-east-blog/2 ... z1nbbvCmgA
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Next

Return to Kelley Rink