Recruits doing well

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Recruits doing well

Postby claver2010 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:22 am

He also probably saw the writing on the wall that he wouldn't get much playing time

Here's how our D stacks up next year (assuming Matheson stays)

SR: MacLeod
JR: None
SO: Matheson, Sullivan, Doherty, Jeke
FR: Steve Santini, Scott Savage, Ian McCoshen
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:53 pm

Article on Demko's commitment:

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2012/12/21_the_next_big_thing.php

Thatcher Demko Ends Recruiting Chase with BC Commitment
by Mike McMahon/Staff Writer

U.S. NTDP U-18 goaltender Thatcher Demko boasts a stat line against Division I opponents that most Division I goalies would be jealous of.

Demko is 2-0-3 on the season with a 2.26 goals-against average and a .915 save percentage against D-I teams.

And this isn’t against the sludge of college hockey, either. Demko’s three ties came against Notre Dame, Minnesota and New Hampshire, while the Wildcats were the No. 1 team in the country two weeks ago.

His two wins came against Alabama-Huntsville and then again on Dec. 8, when he made 20 saves in a win over Hockey East’s Merrimack.

Also see: CHN Recruiting Section
What’s even more impressive about Demko is that the large majority of his early-season success against Division I opponents came while he was just 16 years old. He turned 17 two weeks ago, and celebrated it with a win over the Warriors at Lawler Arena.

A late-’95, Demko isn’t even eligible for the NHL Draft until 2014, yet here he sits, one of the most coveted recruits in the nation and arguably the best goaltender coming into college hockey next season.

Last Sunday, he ended speculation by committing to Boston College. He visited the Chestnut Hill campus Dec. 10 and was also considering Massachusetts, Northeastern, Western Michigan and Cornell, according to various reports.

“Last year, I wouldn’t have told you I’d be here playing against Division I teams,” said the San Diego, Calif., native. “It happened unexpectedly, but this year has been surreal. Sometimes in class I just think about it and it’s crazy. I get to wear the USA everyday, it’s been a lot of fun.”

Demko is a huge part of the NTDP’s succes thus far. Along with an impressive record against Division I schools, Demko has dominated Division III and USHL competition as well as backstopping Team USA to a gold medal in the Four Nations tournament earlier this year alongside uncommitted goalie Hunter Miska.

“Goaltending for us, being so young, is key early in any game,” said NTDP head coach Don Granato. “If we don’t play sound in the net at the start of the game, and they score, it has the potential to be a different game.”

Against the Warriors, Demko stopped a pair of breakaways against sophomore sniper Josh Myers, including his first stop of the game just minutes in.

“That breakaway save was key,” Granato said. “That save, early in the game, if he doesn’t make that our confidence can take at turn south, fast.”

He continued, “He’s a goalie. He goes to bed thinking and dreaming about goaltending.”

When Demko at BC this fall, he’ll be the next big thing on campus. Literally. Measuring 6-foot-3, as a newly-minted 17-year old, means he’s likely not done adding some inches to his height.

In the crease he uses his large frame to his advantage, however, he doesn’t solely rely on it; a big reason he’s as successful as he is.

“A lot of guys my size try to just play the block system,” he said. “They go down and take up as much of the net as they can. But, I’ve been trying to get away from that because I’ve seen guys starting to get beat with that, so I’m trying for more of a hybrid style and use athleticism with my size. The combo really works out sometimes.”

As for his college decision, it was an arduous process at times.

Visits, phone calls and the pressure of making a decision that could have a significant effect on not only his hockey career, but his life.

“I have great parents and a great advisor,” he said. “They work together and keep the pressure off of me and just let me worry about hockey. They relay the news to me that needs to be known but they just let me play and they take care of the business side of it.”

When he arrives at BC, he’ll come in a seasoned goaltender. In a way, he’s already a freshman.

“The experience this year is huge,” he said.

And so is Demko’s career potential.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:38 am

Something I don't get about hockey recruiting--why do so many of these top-tier recruits have strange lists of schools they're considering?? Every school in the country should be after the #1 goalie recruit so why was Demko considering schools like Northeastern, Western Michigan, and UMass along with BC??
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:11 am

PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:Something I don't get about hockey recruiting--why do so many of these top-tier recruits have strange lists of schools they're considering?? Every school in the country should be after the #1 goalie recruit so why was Demko considering schools like Northeastern, Western Michigan, and UMass along with BC??

Several things that makes hockey recruiting much different than the other 2 sports
1) there's no scout/rivals/TGOSB. by "considering" does it mean he has an offer? NU has a habit of offering kids before they can walk. The best site to track commits is a googledoc: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AoPLTHefMmmTdGt1bWNTcUNqRm1SaUNZbG5jMi1PS2c&gid=1
2) many players don't get full rides, so maybe he was offered 4 years $$ at NU but 2 at BC (simply hypothetical)
3) many different precollege levels (USHL, prep, EJHL, multiple canadian leagues, etc) so numbers aren't apples to apples or really apples to oranges either (doesn't apply here but something to keep in mind when reading stats).
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Supahfan99 on Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:47 am

PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:Something I don't get about hockey recruiting--why do so many of these top-tier recruits have strange lists of schools they're considering?? Every school in the country should be after the #1 goalie recruit so why was Demko considering schools like Northeastern, Western Michigan, and UMass along with BC??

You have to figure most schools save 2 scholarships for goalies at any one time. At this position, there aren't a ton of D1 slots open. Some schools probably didn't have a scholarship to offer as they might be all set at the position with current goalies and other goaltender commitments (given how great he is, he is committing fairly late in the process compared to his peers). You also have to consider that he is accelerating. If that was his plan all along, there are probably a lot of schools that wanted to push him off a year that maybe did offer him and the schools that offered him that would have been happy with him accelerating were the only schools he was considering. Clearly a top program like BU didn't offer him as they have two scholarship goalies as freshmen so they are spoken for at this position for 4 years unless Parker tries to kick one of them out of school for no reason (because Jack never really needs a reason) or one of their goalies goes on a rape rampage.

Also, don't let Western Michigan fool you being included on that list. That is a program that made a grandslam hire in former NHL coach Andy Murray and they are immediately seeing the results. That hire puts the MSU and Northeastern hires from the same timeframe to shame (Anastaso and Madigan, neither of which were coaching prior to getting this job). Northeastern is a disaster right now but they do have some great selling points as far as location, the Beanpot, Matthews Arena, etc. Umass being on his list... I got nothing.
Supahfan99
Campion Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:15 am

The Quick effect? Kinda makes sense for a goalie but I'm admittedly stretching.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby SeaCaptim on Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:53 pm

the other factor that comes into play is that some of these younger hockey players burst on to the national stage at age 16-17. Demko might be one of these. Kreider seemed to surge mightily at this age. Also, keep in mind that the top skaters are often considering playing Junior hockey and/or waiting to be drafted by NHL teams. If colleges are aware of this factor, they often look elsewhere. Few schools can roll the dice at goaltender, hoping their verbal commit does not decide to sign with the Ontario Sidespitters two weeks before the season starts.
BC does not often mess with players who are thinking of playing Junior Hockey or going pro. Kreider, Atkinson, and Jimmy Hayes are the exceptions and not the norm. This season, BC lost Vatrano unexpectedly at the last minute, and had a scholarship available. This is good luck smiling at York.
SeaCaptim
Carney Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:15 pm

BC picked up a 2015 recruit tonight:

@TannerMacMaster
Committed to Boston College.

‏@bchockeyblog1
BREAKING- Boston College has just received a commitment from Tanner MacMaster a forward out of Alberta

@bchockeyblog1
He has recorded 24 goals and 23 assist so far this season and will be coming in 2015 I believe. Great get by the staff.

‏@WeissFC
The rich get richer as B.C. gets a commitment from Calgary native Tanner MacMaster (’96). He was a 1st round pick in WHL Draft in 2011.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:15 am

Based on his age + some articles out of Calgary he might be looking at 2014

Given Yorks history w forwards from western Canada I wouldn't be shocked if it's 2015 though
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:51 pm

What's York's history with western Canada players? Just curious as the WHL is typically the most physical league so I would imagine they're ready for the step up to the college game in that sense but I might just be blocking stuff out.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:12 pm

He's never played in the "W". If he had played in the "W" he'd be ineligible to play in the NCAAs as the W is Major Junior. My guess is he plays in the AJHL although it is possible that he plays in the BCJHL or SJHL as kids do occassionally cross Province lines.

Kolonos was out of the AJHL if I am not mistaken and Kobasew was out of the BCJHL. I think Bradford and Straight are western kids as well. Can't remember anyone else off hand.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:22 pm

That is correct. And the lesson, as always, is that I'm retarded.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:43 pm

You can accuse me of arguing with small sample sizes and ethnic generalities and you'd be right but...

Looking at the 2 forwards he's brought in from western Canada in the last 10 years have underperformed. Bertram (2nd rounder) more than destry were hyped coming in. Now the common thread is both came in young for BC hockey standards and extremely young for college hockey standards (destry at 18, Bertram at 17).

Now, there's another western Canadian coming in next year, Evan Richardson (bchl) who by accounts was ready for this year but pushed back to next season when he'll be 19. Hence my thought that York & staff would wait the extra year if possible

Edit I forgot Bradford, like Elvis I'm retarded
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:08 am

3 recruits made the USNDP:
Three future Eagles, Colin White (16), Noah Hanifin (15), and Casey Fitzgerald (15) all made the u17 National Development Team this weekend. The three will most likely leave their respective prep schools and go to Ann Arbor to play for the team.

http://www.thebostoncollegehockeyblog.blogspot.com/2013/03/three-future-eagles-make-national.html

Hanifin has the recruiting weird0s going nuts, widely regarded as the top sophomore in the country, he's an offensive defenseman
http://hockeyrecruits4u.wordpress.com/2013/03/24/noah-hanifin-is-man-amongst-boys-at-this-weekends-usntdp-camp/
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:17 pm

ESPN released a top 50 draft prospects:

Ian McCoshen POS: D
DOB: 8/5/95 HT: 6-3 WT: 207 SHOOTS: L
TEAM: Waterloo (USHL)
GM 53 G 11A 33 PTS 44+/- plus-35

Player Analysis
Based on his stats, McCoshen looks like a star. He ranked second in defensive scoring in the USHL and recorded a plus-35, the type of stats that can take him a long way, especially considering his size and skating ability. Having said that, I have some reservations about his decision-making and just how much composure he will have when time and space is dramatically reduced at higher levels. McCoshen is going to Boston College, which is a good thing for his development. As one NHL amateur scout noted, "Players go there and get better, not worse."

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/9174580/nhl-ranking-top-50-prospects-2013-draft
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:15 am

Canada beat US 4-3 in the U18 tournament, 2013 recruit Steve Santini was named top defenseman in the tournament
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:13 am

Some more from the tournament.

A writeup on Santini post semifinal game:
Steven Santini — Over the last three games, Santini has been one of, if not the best player on the ice for either team. He logged 31:45 on ice against the Russians, playing six minutes of a 10-minute overtime period. He made a few mistakes over the course of the game, including one egregious turnover, but beyond that, he can take a lot of ownership of this win. Despite the fact that he played over a half hour in the game, Santini almost never looked tired, and even when he did, he was still engaged. Breathing heavy as Russia got its overtime power play, Santini was blocking shots, getting sticks on pucks and not allowing Russia to ever get a quality chance. He’s been remarkable in this tournament and I know he’s slid down some draft rankings, but this kid is a first-round talent. Dominant at times, but always solid and steady. He looks and plays like a pro.

http://unitedstatesofhockey.com/2013/04 ... #more-6251

Incoming FR Demko was the starting goalie for team USA as well
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:45 am

BC recruit Noah Hanifin with the shoutout last night, sitting with Bobby Orr at the Bs game
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:28 am

Several updates from this past weekend

1) Now looks like Matt Gaudreau is being pushed back to next year. I know Johnny talked about playing with his brother as a reason he's staying but never saw where Matt fit in this year numbers wise.

2) Noah Hanifin was drafted by the Quebec Remparts in the 2nd round of the Q draft this past weekend. He's one of the top 97s in the country, played the last several seasons at St. Sebastian's.

3) Not BC related but looks like BU is losing one of their top recruits. Cam Askew was picked in the first round of the Q draft and reports are saying he's gone. Here's what he said a couple of days before the draft: “I felt more comfortable going the USHL route. The ‘Q’ (QMJHL) was there, but my dream has been to go to BU.”
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:44 pm

Good news on Hanifin:

@CH_WillyPalov
Patrick Roy on Noah Hanifin: "The chances he comes next year are very, very slim but our scouts thought he was the best player in the draft. Sometimes you have to gamble and that's what we did today. We're trying to host the Memorial Cup next year and that's his draft year so it could be a great fit for him and for us." Some scouts say Hanifin is the best US defenceman in 20 years, even better than Jones.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:09 am

With the draft this weekend, here's an awesome indepth look at all the draft eligibile prospects.

http://conteconfidentialbc.wordpress.co ... e-players/
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:09 am

3 BC guys picked in the 2nd round & 1 in the 4th

McCoshen (D), 31st Florida
Santini (D), 42nd NJ
Zach Sanford (F), 61st Fighting OJs
Evan Fitzgerald (F), 120th Bruins
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BCEagles66 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:18 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:3 BC guys picked in the 2nd round & 1 in the 4th

McCoshen (D), 31st Florida
Santini (D), 42nd NJ
Zach Sanford (F), 61st Fighting OJs
Evan Fitzgerald (F), 120th Bruins

Quick correction: Ryan Fitzgerald. And should be noted Sanford won't be coming for another year.

Combine the selections above with Gilmour and Calnan (2012 3rd round selections) and Demko (2014 draft-eligible; possible 1st-2nd round selection), and we have further proof of the ridiculousness of this incoming freshmen class. Excited to see what Santini and McCoshen can do on the blue-line with Matheson. The real interesting battle will be in goal between Demko and Billett.
BCEagles66
Carney Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:25 pm

@MikeMcMahonCHN
There have been discussions between top BC recruit Noah Hanifin & the Quebec Remparts (QMJHL) about where he will further his hockey career. No indication on whether or not Hanifin will sign, just that there have been conversations.

Hanifin is arguably the top 97 born American
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby shockdoct on Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:27 pm

Conor McGlynn to OHL. Not sure what this does to the numbers for '14.
Didn't exactly light up the USHL it seems, so I am not sure how much of a loss this represents.

http://thebostoncollegehockeyblog.blogs ... -from.html
shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:56 am

Some notes from the WJC evaluation camp:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/blog/_/name/nhl_draft/id/9560190/nhl-draft-breaking-team-usa-national-junior-evaluation-camp

Steven Santini, D, Devils -- Santini had two really good games in which his mobility, physicality and high-end defensive hockey sense were on display. He also had a couple of games in which he didn't do as much, but overall he did make a case to be a shutdown defenseman on the final team.

Ian McCoshen, D, Panthers -- McCoshen showed strong two-way ability. His skating is really good, but his ability with the puck also stood out. He made defensive plays, but he'll be better in that area once he gets stronger.

Between these 2, Demko who will be a back up to Gillies from PC in net, and Matheson with Canada we could be pretty short handed for Frozen Fenway
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:08 am

A familiar name from Shattuck committed to the eagles yesterday: http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/college ... ockey-east

High scoring Shattuck St. Mary's forward Graham McPhee has committed to Boston College. The '98 from Bethesda, Md. scored 32 goals and added 51 assists for 83 points in 55 Bantam Tier I games for SSM last season.

He potted three goals and added two helpers in five games last April in the USA U14 National Championships. He is expected to arrive at Boston College for the fall of 2016.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:48 am

I am assuming based on the name and where he is from that he is George McPhee's kid? Did George McPhee play for York at Bowling Green or was he pre-York? Before he became about the only effective goon the Rangers had in the 80s (and a terrible GM thereafter) he won the Hobey Baker.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:52 am

Correct on both

York started at bowling green mcphee's sophomore year
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:17 am

How does York celebrate getting screwed out of 2 points?

Stealing one of the best recruits in the nation. Sonny Milano committed to BC over BU, Minnesota, Michigan, & Miami after decommitting from ND. He's regarded as the best US born F for his age and is ranked an A by NHL scouting. He should be here this fall

York now has 3 of the top 7 recruits for next season
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy