Recruits doing well

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Recruits doing well

Postby garf112 on Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:02 pm

wolverineneshl {l Wrote}:Anybody know anything about Peter McMullen? He's suppose to come in the fall but would like to know any info on him.

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fire ... mullen_jr/

I saw him play his senior year at Delbarton. I think he profiles more as a defensive forward in college. His dad was a lacrosse player at BC.
garf112
Carney Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:42 am

garf112 {l Wrote}:
wolverineneshl {l Wrote}:Anybody know anything about Peter McMullen? He's suppose to come in the fall but would like to know any info on him.

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fire ... mullen_jr/

I saw him play his senior year at Delbarton. I think he profiles more as a defensive forward in college. His dad was a lacrosse player at BC.

One would have to think York recruited him for defense, since his offensive numbers in the BCHL are pretty anemic (15 points in 44 games). He's also very different physically (6'2", 200 lbs.) from the pint-sized snipers York usually recruits for the front line, and also older (turns 20 this year).
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:08 am

Cangelosi was #3 play on sportscenter
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:30 am

Article on Matheson: http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Matheson+using+head/6520215/story.html

Matheson using his head

Pointe Claire native going the U.S. college route to pursue big-league dreams

By MIKE BOONE, The Gazette April 26, 2012
Tweet
It might be a few years before Mike Matheson is ready for professional hockey, but the 18-year-old has NHL hattitude.

Like most of the players in post-game playoff interviews, Matheson was wearing a baseball cap when we talked Tuesday evening. But I couldn't discern the logo on the hat's crown because Matheson was 1,400 kilometres away.

The 6-foot-2, 190-pound defenceman is playing for the United States Hockey League's Dubuque Fighting Saints. Matheson was at the house where he's billeting this season and I was at his family home in Pointe Claire.

The grainy image of a cap-clad teenager was being transmitted from a city of 58,000 in the northeast of Iowa to a dining-room table where Rod Matheson fired up an iPad to connect to his son. The miracle of digital communications let me put a face on the thoughts of a gifted youngster who is trying to focus on the USHL playoffs and not think about events that will transpire in Pittsburgh during the weekend of June 22.

The Matheson family and friends - about 25 in total, including Mike's former coaches: John Goyens, Jim Webster and Kirk Mullen - will be at the Consol Energy Centre for the NHL draft. It is difficult to predict these things with precision, but there's every likelihood the name "Mike Matheson" will be called from the podium during either the first or second round.

In its latest draft prospect rankings, NHL Central Scouting Service had Matheson 30th among North American skaters. That should translate into early selection, which would be a nice boost for Matheson when he starts a hockey scholarship at Boston College in September.

The draft will be the latest stage in a development process that began when Mike was a 3-year-old ringette player. Within a couple of years, Rod Matheson, a business-systems consultant who was good enough to play in the Metropolitan Junior B league about 30 years ago, had his younger son out on the rink, skating to keep up with brother Ken, who's three years older.

"All the boys on our block were Kenny's age," Margaret Matheson said.

Training a mother's eye on street hockey games, she watched her younger son "screaming and yelling at them when he couldn't keep up."

"But he tried really hard," she added, "and I think that was a great beginning for him."

"Kelly was the first Matheson hockey player," the patriarch said of his daughter, a senior at Queen's University, "and the first in Jim Webster's Sport-Études program. She kinda knocked that door down."

The door unopened was the one leading to junior hockey. Two years ago, Matheson was playing midget Triple-A hockey for the Lac St. Louis Lions and was projected to be the top pick in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League draft.

Four American schools - Boston College, the University of Vermont, Northeastern and Boston University - were ready to offer Matheson a scholarship. One of the key factors Matheson weighed was the off-ice routine he had begun in Grade 7 with specialized trainers while attending John Rennie High School's Sport-Études program.

"We looked at the Q schedule of one of the teams, and not even one that travels the most," the face on the iPad said, "just to see how many days would be reasonable to get some lifting in. And there just weren't that many, with mid-week games and all the travel days."

Baie Comeau had the first pick in the Q's 2010 draft. The Mathesons visited the town on the lower North Shore, but two days of hospitality and suggestions that major junior was a surer route to the NHL weren't enough to alter Mike's decision to go the college route.

Playing in the Q would mean finishing high school somewhere else - either in Baie Comeau or Halifax, which had the second pick in the midget draft. Matheson was in Grade 10 and didn't want to leave John Rennie.

"We wanted him to make up his mind before the draft," Rod Matheson said. "I didn't think it was fair to Baie Comeau to have them waste their first pick overall on a guy who doesn't show up."

Players have been known to game the draft, hinting they'll go to college so that certain Q teams won't pick them and they can slide down to their preferred locations. Matheson didn't do that. He played a final year of midget and then headed to Dubuque last September for one USHL season before starting at Boston College, Brian Gionta's alma mater.

The reigning National Collegiate Athletic Association champions may lose up to three defencemen to graduation and the NHL. Matheson could see top-four D and power-play minutes while getting plenty of weightroom time and a chance to hone his skills in a top-flight hockey program with head coach Jerry York and assistant Greg Brown, renowned for his nurturing of defence prospects.

"College is essentially a weekend league," Rod Matheson said. "You play Friday-Saturday-Sunday and then you can work out hard Monday-Tuesday-Wednesday."

Matheson fils has followed that regimen in Dubuque. He weighed 175 pounds in September and has added 15 pounds of muscle. The defenceman will weigh north of 200 once he's filled out at Boston College.

Unlike too many 18-yearolds, Matheson avoids junk food. At his billet in Dubuque, he's been eating healthy.

"It's something the organization emphasizes," he said. "If you eat junk food, you'll just put on fat and you won't be as energetic at practice every day."

Matheson says he went through an early season adjustment to the USHL. His game began to pick up at Christmas, however, and he has been enough of a Dubuque stalwart to get his picture on the home page of the team's website.

Back home, Margaret Matheson scans the Web in anticipation of the draft, checking out the latest rankings to ascertain who might be picking her son.

"It's my dirty little secret," she laughs. "We keep telling Mike not to do it."

"Only in the past year it's become a reality," Mike Matheson said. "But growing up, my whole life, being in a position to be drafted has always been a dream of mine."

The dream should come true - and Matheson will get a new hat - in Pittsburgh.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Mon May 07, 2012 12:11 pm

Article on Matheson.

http://ushl.com/news.php?news_id=970

Making the Transition
Monday May 7, 2012

Following an adjustment period, Mike Matheson found his rhythm with the Dubuque Fighting Saints and became one of the top defensemen in the USHL.

Matheson adjusts his game to become a potential 1st-round NHL Draft pick

By Jim Leitner, TH sports editor • jleitner@wcinet.com

Mike Matheson sat down in the spring of 2010 and weighed the pros and cons of two distinctly different options for his promising hockey career.

The popular choice for the defenseman from Pointe-Claire, Quebec, would have been to stay close to home and play in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, which features a grueling, professional-style schedule. As a sure-fire first-round draft pick, he could have expected a hefty signing bonus that would have disqualified him from his second option.

But the idea of playing NCAA Division I hockey intrigued the then-16-year-old. With a less-demanding schedule, he figured he could mature mentally and physically with significantly more practice time and weight-room sessions, not to mention a quality education.

Matheson decided on the second option, which led him to the Dubuque Fighting Saints in September. He spent this season in the United States Hockey League to transition from Under-18 Midget AAA hockey in Quebec to a waiting scholarship at reigning national champion Boston College.

After struggling through the first half of a USHL season filled with high expectations, Matheson developed into a dominant defenseman in his final two months in Dubuque. And, in a little more than six weeks, he might join Saints captain Zemgus Girgensons as a first-round pick at the NHL Draft in Pittsburgh.

“When you look at the improvement I made throughout the whole season and into the playoffs, it shows you how good a program we have here in Dubuque and how good of a league the USHL is,” Matheson said. “This season definitely reinforced my decision. At the same time, watching BC go all the way this year and the way they develop their defensemen reinforces it even more.

“With the help of the coaching staff here, my game just got better and better, and, with that, I became a lot more confident. All of that kind of snowballed together in the second half of the season.”

Matheson registered just four goals and eight points in 24 games before the Christmas break. He returned to Dubuque with a different outlook on the game and finished with seven goals and 19 points in his final 29 contests. In five playoff games, Matheson scored four goals and added an assist.

“His draft stock just skyrocketed the last 15 games of the season, so I can see him being drafted anywhere from 15th to 30th overall,” Saints head coach and general manager Jim Montgomery said. “Based on the comments I heard from NHL people, there were a lot of question marks about him in the first half of the season.

“But, when those same scouts came through my door in the last two months, it was more like, ‘Wow. Wow. Wow.’ I credit the young man for his coachability and his desire to be great. He learned how to be a dominant defenseman this year, and he’s going to be rewarded for it.”

POETRY IN MOTION

Jack Barzee, of the NHL’s Central Scouting Bureau, fell in love with Matheson’s game when he watched him last summer in Calgary during Hockey Canada’s tryout camp for the U-18 Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament in the Czech Republic and Slovakia. Matheson made the team and helped the Canadians win the gold medal for the fourth consecutive year.

“He’s the type of player I gravitate toward just because of his presence,” said Barzee, who coached in Dubuque in the early 1980s before moving on to scouting. “He’s an extremely gifted young player.

“He’s what you might call ‘poetry in motion’ when it comes to skating. He’s a beautiful skater with deceptive speed; he gets to top speed real quick.”

Matheson’s fluid and athletic skating style features tight pivots and edge control. He also blends strength and power with agility and lateral quickness.

“I love the way he shoots the puck, too,” Saints associate head coach Joe Coombs said. “I bet half of the goals he scored this year, the goalie had no time to react because he has such a quick release. He shoots like a pro. You don’t teach that. That’s a gift.”

At the Midget AAA level, those attributes made Matheson a dominant player in a hockey-mad province. Prognosticators heaped praise on him as a can’t-miss pro. Unfortunately, his skill level led to bad habits.

“He’s always been a high-risk, high-reward kind of player because he could beat people athletically,” said Rod Matheson, Mike’s father. “He’d always be taking chances he didn’t need to take. He could make a silly move and lose the puck, then turn around and catch the guy and take it right back.

“The coaching staff in Dubuque achieved great things in terms of getting him to figure out where he could take those risks.”

Matheson quickly realized he couldn’t rely on his athletic ability to beat opponents in the USHL.

“Here, if you make a mistake as the last guy back, the puck’s in the back of the net in a second,” Mike Matheson said. “That was one of the biggest adjustments I had to make. The USHL is a lot higher level, and there’s a huge difference in the size and speed of the guys you’re playing against.”

Matheson wasn’t alone in his early struggles. Very few players enjoy immediate success after graduating from Midget or high school hockey to the USHL.

“It’s tough for a lot of guys to adjust to the speed right away, and it can be really frustrating,” said Saints second-year goaltender Matt Morris, a University of Maine recruit who will play against Matheson in the Hockey East conference next season. “But Mike has such a great work ethic. He’ll go far in hockey because he works so hard at it.”

THE TURNING POINT

The transition did not go smoothly in the first few months of the season. The USHL can quickly humble a player with gaudy statistics at a lower level.

“It’s hard when you’ve been the best player wherever you’ve played and you’ve had success doing it a certain way,” Montgomery said. “It’s hard to understand why you’re struggling.

“He didn’t have a tough time believing what we were teaching him, but he had a tough time believing he couldn’t get away with what he’d been doing his whole life. It takes a while for some players to change their habits when those habits have given them success. I have to give Mike a lot of credit, because he did change those habits. He’s a student of the game who started to see the value of being in better position.”

Montgomery, Coombs, and team consultant Grant Standbrook all worked with Matheson on the technical aspects of his game, both on the ice and during lengthy video sessions. Matheson also studied video at home.

The rookie didn’t like the results he saw in the first half of the season. So, when he returned home to suburban Montreal for the holiday break, he took an honest look at his deficiencies.

“Over time, I feel like I was getting more and more used to the League,” Matheson said. “But going home for that week let me regroup a little bit. I watched a lot of video to see where I could improve my game.”

He also spent quality time with his family, which kept him grounded.

“That’s when Mike started to realize his development is more of a process,” Rod Matheson said. “He realized it’s not all about beating people athletically. He started using his technique rather than thinking he could just outskate people.”

Matheson saw the value in playing the angles on defense and closing gaps on rushing forwards. His anticipation dramatically improved.

“Being in better position led to him having the puck more, which led to more offense,” Montgomery said. “You give him time and space, and he’s going to do damage. From Christmas on, his confidence and decision making got better and better. That’s why you saw a dominant player the last 15 games.”

MATURING BOTH ON AND OFF THE ICE

Matheson arrived in Dubuque in early September with his older brother, Kenny Matheson, a 20-year-old forward who played Junior hockey in Brockville, Ontario the previous season. Kenny helped his brother adjust to playing away from home for the first time in his career.

But Kenny didn’t play a key role with the Saints in his final season of Junior eligibility. He contributed only a goal and two assists in 25 games while college interest in him declined. Kenny returned to Brockville in January, played a considerably bigger role and earned a playing opportunity next season at Hamilton College in upstate New York.

Shortly after Kenny’s departure, the Saints acquired forward Milos Bubela, who had just represented Slovakia at the World Junior Championships in Alberta. Bubela spoke very little English and moved in with Matheson’s billet parents, Don and JoAnne Gibson.

“Mike and Kenny aren’t just brothers, they’re best friends, and they really leaned on each other,” JoAnne Gibson said. “When Kenny left and Milos came, Mike became the leader in terms of showing Milos what he had to do and how he could adjust to playing hockey in the United States. That put Mike in a position of leadership, and he really embraced it. It was really neat to watch Mike mature as the season went on. As his game improved, he gained so much more confidence in himself.”

Matheson also matured physically. Under the tutelage of strength and conditioning coach Jim Romagna, he added nearly 15 pounds of muscle to his 6-foot-2 frame after reporting to Dubuque at 175 pounds.

“That was one of the big reasons why I chose to come here and go the college route,” Matheson said. “I wanted to let my body mature the right way instead of just being in more of a pro environment like the (QMJHL), where there isn’t as much time to get into the gym.”

“When we were making the decision, my dad and I looked at the average schedule for a team in the Q, and there just isn’t a lot of time to practice or lift. Defense is more of a tactical game. There’s a lot more to learn. And I wanted to take the time to let my body mature.”

THE NEXT STEP

Before he sets foot on the Boston College campus in the fall, Matheson will take another significant step in his hockey development. A few short weeks after the NHL Draft, he will be invited to his pro team’s prospects camp and play against previous draft picks and minor leaguers. The camp will not jeopardize his NCAA eligibility.

“Going to Calgary’s prospects camp last summer, that’s what really got me ready for this year,” said former Saints standout John Gaudreau, the national freshman of the year at Boston College and a fourth-round pick of the Flames in 2011. “I don’t think I would have done half as well as I did if I wouldn’t have gone to the prospects camp.”

“The guys are bigger and stronger than guys in the USHL, and you’re competing against guys who are already one step away from the NHL. Mike will be one of the younger guys there, and it’ll be a great learning tool for him.”

At Boston College, Matheson will learn from one of the top defensive minds in Division I hockey. Greg Brown, a former Olympian and NHL defenseman, works with the blueliners on head coach Jerry York’s staff.

“For a young guy, Greg Brown has an incredible record of developing defensemen,” Barzee said. “No question, Matheson’s decision to go to Boston College is a plus with NHL teams. It gives a team a four-year window. They can afford to be patient with him. If he comes along faster, they’ll sign him to a pro contract earlier.”

Matheson hasn’t completely closed the door on playing in the QMJHL. Moncton acquired his rights from Shawinigan in January.

“Personally, I’m pretty well set on BC. The only way I would go to the Q is if the team that drafted me really wants me to go,” he said. “I’ve been trying to keep my doors open in case that does happen. But, to be honest, with the reputation BC has for developing defensemen and the success they’ve been having lately, I don’t think an NHL team will have a problem with me going there.”

After the progress Matheson made in Dubuque, it would be hard to second-guess his decision-making.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DuchesneEast on Mon May 07, 2012 12:15 pm

“For a young guy, Greg Brown has an incredible record of developing defensemen,” Barzee said. “No question, Matheson’s decision to go to Boston College is a plus with NHL teams. It gives a team a four-year window. They can afford to be patient with him. If he comes along faster, they’ll sign him to a pro contract earlier.”

Great to hear for the program if NHL teams would push BC.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu May 10, 2012 7:29 am

What was long rumored is now CONFIRMED

Colin Sullivan, a defenseman who decommitted from Yale is heading to BC this year:
http://thebostoncollegehockeyblog.blogspot.com/2012/05/eagles-pick-up-collin-sullivan.html

He is a 7th round pick of Montreal and from CT
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby RedBaron67 on Thu May 10, 2012 10:37 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:What was long rumored is now CONFIRMED

Colin Sullivan, a defenseman who decommitted from Yale is heading to BC this year:
http://thebostoncollegehockeyblog.blogspot.com/2012/05/eagles-pick-up-collin-sullivan.html

This is certainly good news; there are big gaps in the back line to fill next season, and Sullivan should help. It's also worth noting that Heisenberg's list now has Evan Richardson definitely coming to BC this fall; does anyone have any other information about this?
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Fri May 11, 2012 6:56 am

RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:What was long rumored is now CONFIRMED

This is certainly good news; there are big gaps in the back line to fill next season, and Sullivan should help. It's also worth noting that Heisenberg's list now has Evan Richardson definitely coming to BC this fall; does anyone have any other information about this?

Evan Richardson
5'8, 170lbs perfect

Last years line:
SEASON TEAM GP G A PTS P/G +/- PPG SHG GWG GTG PIM
2011 - 2012 Season Powell River Kings 48 19 36 55 1.1 0 7 0 3 0 30
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby SeaCaptim on Fri May 11, 2012 5:01 pm

He is out of the Ryan Shannon type mold, small but fast and crafty. He also can put the puck in the net, as evidence by his stats. I believe he is a terrific playmaker as well.
SeaCaptim
Carney Hall

Postby bignick33 on Mon May 14, 2012 10:43 am

I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed May 23, 2012 2:56 pm

USHL held their draft, 2 BC commits went in the top 10, both Nobles kids and 94s

http://ushl.rinknetcloud.com/draft10.htm

Since USHL is Nick's expertise, I'll leave him to comment.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby RedBaron67 on Thu May 24, 2012 4:53 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:USHL held their draft, 2 BC commits went in the top 10, both Nobles kids and 94s

http://ushl.rinknetcloud.com/draft10.htm

Since USHL is Nick's expertise, I'll leave him to comment.

Dubuque used their 9th round pick to take BC commit (for 2015!?) Noah Hanifin, one of only 3 97s picked in the USHL draft; I wonder what that's about.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed May 30, 2012 7:14 am

There's talk of Kevin Roy, the USHL Player of the Year who had the most points in over 2 decades opening up his recruitment. He was a Brown commit but absolutely blew up this year. BC & BU have been mentioned but I don't think we have the scholarship space.

http://ushl.com/news.php?action=detail&news_id=1049
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DuchesneEast on Wed May 30, 2012 7:36 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:There's talk of Kevin Roy, the USHL Player of the Year who had the most points in over 2 decades opening up his recruitment. He was a Brown commit but absolutely blew up this year. BC & BU have been mentioned but I don't think we have the scholarship space.

http://ushl.com/news.php?action=detail&news_id=1049

I thought we could just make space in Hockey.

Can we put him on a football schollie, we aren't using them for anything important anyway.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed May 30, 2012 9:31 am

Or baseball..

ESPN had their top 50 prospects for the draft

Matheson came in at 29

I get the feeling he falls because of his situation. I cannot shake the fact that when I watch him go back and get a puck and head up ice with a full head of steam, he looks like he could play in the NHL right now. He has some holes in his game including strength, but he played midget hockey last year. I see tons of upside in this kid.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/7966897/2012-nhl-draft-grant-sonier-final-top-50-prospects-rankings
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:47 am

Big news recently regarding recruiting was that one of BU's top recruits was selected 1st round in the Q draft. Usually they don't draft kids that high who are "committed" to a college unless they're going to sign them. Looks like they have a Brandon Shea on their hands, regardless of fandom it's not good for the college game.

He remains unsure of path:
http://thechronicleherald.ca/sports/105462-eichel-not-decided-on-halifax-yet

A little write up on him earlier:
http://hockeyrecruits4u.wordpress.com/2012/04/29/jack-eichel-96-f-commits-to-boston-university/
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:45 am

He has to be gone. Halifax is about as good a locale as you are going to get as an American playing in Q. Nice city, relatively temperate winter, everyone speaks English and they actually like Americans in Nova Scotia. It isn't like being drafted like Chicoutimi, Trois Riviers or some other Quebecois Siberia where you will spend all of your time dodging liquor bottles tossed by drunk unemployed asbestos miners/drunk hydroelectric workers.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:17 am

BC got a commit from Alex Tuch from Baldwinsville, NY (6-2, 195, May '96), who plays for Syracuse of the Empire Jr HL. He leads the league in scoring 44-57-101 in 40 GP, for point of reference BU's recruit Eichel discussed above is 4th.

He was selected for the US national development program for '12-'13 http://usahockey.com/USANTDP/2013SecondCommitments.aspx

He is somewhat of a flight risk and was taken in the 5th round by the Guelph Storm, here's their write up of him:

Alex is a highly skilled centre that has the potential to be a very dominant player at the OHL level. He has great size, skill and skating ability. Alex is an offensive threat every time he is on the ice and is very dangerous with the puck on his stick. He has a very good and accurate shot which he uses from all over the ice. He plays the point on the powerplay and does a very good job of distributing the puck and usually gets the puck through when shooting from the point. Alex has a long and powerful stride that allows him to get to top speed in just a few strides.

http://www.guelphstorm.com/article/storm-goes-stateside-for-fifth-round-choice
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:00 am

Guelph is a fucking hole. Like the Canadian version of Camden. if he visits and decides "Yeah, I'd much rather spend the next three years here instead of Chestnut Hill" he is so retarded that he probably too stupid for college.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby garf112 on Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:17 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:BC got a commit from Alex Tuch from Baldwinsville, NY (6-2, 195, May '96), who plays for Syracuse of the Empire Jr HL. He leads the league in scoring 44-57-101 in 40 GP, for point of reference BU's recruit Eichel discussed above is 4th.

He was selected for the US national development program for '12-'13 http://usahockey.com/USANTDP/2013SecondCommitments.aspx

He is somewhat of a flight risk and was taken in the 5th round by the Guelph Storm, here's their write up of him:

Alex is a highly skilled centre that has the potential to be a very dominant player at the OHL level. He has great size, skill and skating ability. Alex is an offensive threat every time he is on the ice and is very dangerous with the puck on his stick. He has a very good and accurate shot which he uses from all over the ice. He plays the point on the powerplay and does a very good job of distributing the puck and usually gets the puck through when shooting from the point. Alex has a long and powerful stride that allows him to get to top speed in just a few strides.

http://www.guelphstorm.com/article/storm-goes-stateside-for-fifth-round-choice

Tuch is legit. He also has a teammate Kirwan who is only a '97 that was sixth in the league in scoring and is an excellent player. 14 and playing against 19 and 20 year olds (still hanging on to that dream even in a Junior "B" league) and owning them.
garf112
Carney Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:56 am

Article in the Herald about Chris Calnan, scheduled to join BC next year as part of an out of this world class (granted you never know but according to the weird0s the 2013 class simply isn't fair).

Also nice to see the comments from the father

http://bostonherald.com/sports/hockey/other_nhl/view.bg?articleid=1061139046&srvc=sports&position=4

Calnan’s got it covered
By Stephen Harris
Friday, June 15, 2012 - Updated 12 hours ago

Chris Calnan has a plan, but also an open mind.

The Norwell native is heading toward his senior year at Noble & Greenough, already committed to enter Boston College in 2013, and the power forward is likely to be picked in the NHL draft next week in Pittsburgh. His intention is to graduate from Nobles and then skate for the Eagles.

That could change.

“I’m pretty open-minded right now,” he said. “I’m going to wait for the draft and see what happens. Whichever team, hopefully, takes me, they’ll have the most to say about what I do next.”

While a team might try to steer the 6-foot-3, 195-pound Calnan toward the USHL or Quebec major junior, NHL clubs typically let kids play in college. Certainly that has been the plan for the Calnan family since Chris got his first taste of all-star summer hockey teams at age 8.

“We spent three weekends in Toronto or Montreal with the Junior Bruins [team stats], and I was kind of looking around saying, ‘What is this all about?’ ” said Jay Calnan, Chris’ dad. “I was listening to parents saying what phenomenal hockey players their kids were at age 8, and how they were on track to a full ride at BC or BU. But that can’t be your only vehicle to get into a good college. You can excel academically, play other sports, develop good people skills.

“We didn’t do that again. From that point on, we spent our summers at the Cape. There are so many great things about the hockey world, but also some very cautionary tales. You know, guys who have put everything into hockey, had some level of career, maybe even in the NHL. But when that ends, a lot of the other opportunities are gone. Hopefully they haven’t spent every weekend of their life since they were 6 years old in the rink.

“I support Chris’ hockey dream 1,000 percent. But I’d feel bad for him if at the end of the day, 27 or 28 years old, he was out of the game and trying to find a job, without having the necessary skillset to accomplish that.”

The father’s message got through.

“My dad definitely pushed that into my head, that hockey is only a sport and there’s only so much of it,” said Calnan. “But, I mean, I chose BC because I want to play in the NHL. That’s my dream. I’m going to keep chasing my dream. But I also know that there is life outside of hockey. I’ve got to keep both the school part and the hockey part there.”

Typical for Calnan: He was strongly encouraged by many to give up lacrosse and focus entirely on the NHL scouting combine two weeks ago in Toronto. But he opted to play lacrosse, and had a strong academic term, while also preparing for the combine.

Among the 105 players on hand, there weren’t many also carrying heavy academic loads and playing a spring sport, yet Calnan was among the best at the combine with the top score in five individual tests. His showing likely raised his draft stature. With 28-27-55 totals in 29 games for Nobles, his Central Scouting rank went from 94 to 69.

“Calnan did very, very well at all the testing,” said one NHL scout who covers Northeast amateurs. “He’s a very, very strong kid, very motivated education-wise and strength-wise. I think he’ll turn out to be a very good college player and make an impact at BC. As far as beyond that, he kind of fits into the later rounds for me. He’s a power forward, very, very strong. He’s a good up-and-down winger, who can really benefit from playing with a smart center who’ll move him the puck.”

Calnan’s self-evaluation: “I’m just a big power forward who likes to drive wide and drive the net, skate fast and play physical. I feel I can put the puck in the net.”

Most likely, 11⁄2 years from now he’ll be doing that at The Heights.

“It’s just a great program,” said Calnan. “Great coaches, great kids, great players, great community, great school. I think (coach) Jerry York is an awesome guy. It was a complete package. I really wanted to be part of a winning program and they’ve certainly been able to do that the last few years. I’m really looking forward to that.

“Choosing BC, choosing to go the college route, is key for me, both the school part and the hockey part, so you can have a career later in your life after hockey.”

Good advice for many talented young players, and their parents.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:38 am

Article in the globe on Calnan as he looks to be drafted this week (projected 3rd round) and weighs where he'll play next year (again will arrive at BC in 2013)

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/articles/2012/06/20/for_nhl_hopeful_calnan_time_to_choose_sides/?page=full

For NHL hopeful Calnan, time to choose sides

By Fluto Shinzawa
Globe Staff / June 20, 2012

In the next few days, Chris Calnan will make a short-term decision. He hopes it will play a part in achieving his long-term goal of making the NHL.

The 18-year-old Norwell native, who is scheduled to become a senior at Noble and Greenough this fall, has three options. Calnan can remain in prep school and most likely serve as a captain for the club. He can stay at Nobles as a student but play for the Eastern Junior Hockey League’s South Shore Kings. Or Calnan can enroll at an Iowa high school and play for the Waterloo Blackhawks, who own his US Hockey League rights. He has committed to Boston College for 2013.

Naturally, Calnan’s current coach believes one path is preferable to the others.

“The thing that really bothers me and worries me,’’ said Noble and Greenough coach Brian Day, “is an awful lot of kids are being sold the idea that hockey is the only thing, without pursuing the best education possible.

“In 25 years, three kids I’ve coached got to the NHL. Two of them have college degrees. The good players who don’t make it, they still have the education piece to fall back on at the end of the day.

“The high school education is very important. You’re a member of the community. A lot of kids play second sports. There are leadership possibilities. Where else is a kid going to be a leader in the community? Not only within the locker room, but within the community? You can’t quantify that.’’

At this week’s NHL draft at Pittsburgh’s Consol Energy Center, Calnan will most likely be picked in the middle rounds. The NHL Central Scouting Bureau pegs the budding power forward as the No. 69-ranked North American skater. Calnan plays a rough-and-tumble style that has made his hometown Bruins take notice.

Kyle Woodlief, chief scout of the Red Line Report, wonders whether Calnan might have been slotted higher had he played hockey elsewhere in 2011-12.

“He’s probably done what he can do in prep school,’’ Woodlief said. “Prep school is a terrible developmental level for any kid at any position. You can play major junior in Canada, go to the USHL, the EJHL. He’s going to better himself in any of those leagues more than playing in 26 or 28 games in prep school.’’

It is a sentiment players in Calnan’s position have heard for quite some time. There are NHLers, such as Jonathan Quick (Avon Old Farms), Mark Fayne (Nobles), and Chris Kreider (Phillips Andover), whose prep school roots did little to stunt their development. But American youngsters, via scouts, coaches, junior officials, and family advisers, are being told that a league like the USHL is the best developmental avenue. They cite the coaching, level of competition, and heavy game schedule as advantages.

“It’s a better league,’’ Calnan said. “It’s going to get me better prepared for BC. The downs are that it’s in Iowa, far from home. You don’t really get to have a senior year. You’re in a different place and you don’t feel as comfortable. On the education piece, you’re not going to get a diploma from Nobles.’’

Calnan also acknowledged the positives and negatives of his other scenarios. He believes the EJHL will be a better league for him to polish his on-ice skills. But it might be awkward for him to see his Nobles coaches and teammates every day while playing for another club. If Calnan remains at Nobles, he could assume a leadership position and graduate with his friends.

“The downside,’’ Calnan said, “is that it might not help me fit into the BC lineup as much.’’

Day’s argument is that players who are good enough to reach the NHL will eventually get there regardless of the path. Day often refers to Fayne as a player who excelled in prep school. After graduating from Nobles, Fayne played four years at Providence College. As a first-year pro, Fayne appeared in 19 AHL games before graduating to New Jersey full-time.

“It didn’t hurt him to stay at Nobles and graduate from Nobles,’’ Day said. “It didn’t preclude him from being a real solid player and being in the Stanley Cup Final.’’

Calnan projects to be a skilled wing at BC and a grinding forward in the NHL. This past season, he had 28 goals and 27 assists in 27 games. Nobles lost to Lawrence Academy in the New England prep school final.

“He’s a guy with good size, drives the net hard, sees the ice pretty well,’’ Woodlief said. “He’s more of a creator off the wing than a goal scorer. He’s more of a playmaker than natural finisher. He uses his size really well along the boards and down in the corners. He’s really good below the circles.

“He’s a high-character kid in terms of work ethic and compete level. He’s a terrifically fit kid. I don’t know that his skill level is first- or second-line quality in the NHL. But because of his size, compete level, and work ethic, he could be a bottom-six forward.’’

The 6-foot-2-inch, 195-pound Calnan continues to transform from a pure goal scorer to a blue-collar grinder. Calnan, who is the nephew of former NHLer Jeremy Roenick, opened eyes at the NHL combine in Toronto earlier this month. He posted a best-in-show vertical jump of 32.5 inches, an indicator of explosive speed. Calnan was among the top performers in the Wingate bike test, which measures anaerobic fitness.

With more on-ice development, Calnan could mature into the type of power forward that every NHL club is seeking.

“It’s more about playing physical,’’ Calnan said. “That’s what pro scouts want to see. They want a guy who’s big and throws the body around.

“Not a lot of people like to go into the dirty areas. I like to do it. Teams need it.’’
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:19 am

The NHL draft starts tonight, there will be some future Eagles called this weekend -round 1 is tonight, Matheson might go but apparently he's an early round 2.

ESPN had a scout and Chiarelli's take on the New England kids, here are blurbs on the BC commits:

69. Chris Calnan, Noble & Greenough, RW
Scout’s take: “Got better and better as the year went on. He started to play physical and use the body, which I think is everybody was waiting to see. He’s got a bomb of a shot. And he’s got a commitment to BC now, that was nice to see.”

Chiarelli’s take: “I mean there are some good kids in the prep leagues and the Calnan kid’s a good player – a big strong kid – very physically mature, power-forward type.”

88. Frank Vatrano, USA U-18 (East Longmeadow, Mass.), C
Scout’s take: “If you were to put him in the Catholic Conference or prep school hockey, he’s a 50-goal scorer. He’s got an NHL shot right now, he’s got such a quick release. He’s very hard to knock off the puck. He’s become a very good hockey player [with Team USA].”

101. Adam Gilmour, Noble & Greenough, RW
Scout’s take: “He’s got high skill, sets guys up. He’s going to get stronger. He’s a tall lanky kid. He’ll go to BC and that’s his type of game, playing a type of run-and-gun game, he’ll do fine there.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/high-school/post/_/id/17277/scouts-break-down-new-england-nhl-draft-class
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:29 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:The NHL draft starts tonight, there will be some future Eagles called this weekend -round 1 is tonight, Matheson might go but apparently he's an early round 2.

ESPN had a scout and Chiarelli's take on the New England kids, here are blurbs on the BC commits:

Scout’s take: “Got better and better as the year went on. He started to play physical and use the body, which I think is everybody was waiting to see. He’s got a bomb of a shot. And he’s got a commitment to BC now, that was nice to see.”

Chiarelli’s take: “I mean there are some good kids in the prep leagues and the Calnan kid’s a good player – a big strong kid – very physically mature, power-forward type.”

Scout’s take: “If you were to put him in the Catholic Conference or prep school hockey, he’s a 50-goal scorer. He’s got an NHL shot right now, he’s got such a quick release. He’s very hard to knock off the puck. He’s become a very good hockey player [with Team USA].”

Scout’s take: “He’s got high skill, sets guys up. He’s going to get stronger. He’s a tall lanky kid. He’ll go to BC and that’s his type of game, playing a type of run-and-gun game, he’ll do fine there.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/high-school/post/_/id/17277/scouts-break-down-new-england-nhl-draft-class

Neither ESPN nor TSN mocks have Matheson in the first round, but I think he could sneak in at the end of it. There are a lot of teams that like him, and his skill set ("puck-moving defemseman") is both coveted and elusive. What's probably hurting his stock is that there are a glut of high-potential d-men in this draft, so teams have a lot of good options. He's heading to BC regardless of when he's drafted.

Another guy to keep an eye from Mattheson's team is one-time UVM commit Zemgus Girgensons. He's currently mocked in the mid first round, but I'd be mildly surprised if he made it past 12. A couple teams that are of interest to people who post on this board have been inquiring about him. He is explosive and has a complete skill-set (he crushed the USHL last year, and his team was on track to make a run at the championship until he got hurt early in the playoffs), but he has been a bit injury-prone in his career. And, he is a Soviet. He is signing with whoever drafts him.
Last edited by bignick33 on Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:31 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:Neither ESPN nor TSN mocks have Matheson in the first round, but I think he could sneak in at the end of it. There are a lot of teams that like him, and his skill set ("puck-moving defemseman") is both coveted and elusive. What's probably hurting his stock is that there are a glut of high-potential d-men in this draft, so teams have a lot of good options. He's heading to BC regardless of when he's drafted.

Wanted to ask you this, even if Montreal picks him in the 2nd?
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DuchesneEast on Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:33 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:The NHL draft starts tonight, there will be some future Eagles called this weekend -round 1 is tonight, Matheson might go but apparently he's an early round 2.

Neither ESPN nor TSN mocks have Matheson in the first round, but I think he could sneak in at the end of it. There are a lot of teams that like him, and his skill set ("puck-moving defemseman") is both coveted and elusive. What's probably hurting his stock is that there are a glut of high-potential d-men in this draft, so teams have a lot of good options. He's heading to BC regardless of when he's drafted.

Another guy to keep an eye from Mattheson's team is one-time UVM commit Zemgus Girgensons. He's currently mocked in the mid first round, but I'd be mildly surprised if he made it past 12. A couple teams that are of interest to people who post on this board have been inquiring about him. He is explosive and has a complete skill-set (he crushed the USHL last year, and his team was on track to make a run at the championship until he got hurt early in the playoffs), but he has been a bit injury-prone in his career. And, he is a Soviet. He is signing with whoever drafts him.

All good news, cant wait to see these men at the Heights.

Still odd hearing anything at BC called Run and Gun.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby bignick33 on Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:37 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:Neither ESPN nor TSN mocks have Matheson in the first round, but I think he could sneak in at the end of it. There are a lot of teams that like him, and his skill set ("puck-moving defemseman") is both coveted and elusive. What's probably hurting his stock is that there are a glut of high-potential d-men in this draft, so teams have a lot of good options. He's heading to BC regardless of when he's drafted.

That's not really an issue. He isn't anywhere close to being NHL ready. He doesn't have the size, and he was wildly inconsistent last year. He is still learning how to play the game. There might be some push for him to spend a couple years in the Q, but I don't think it'll be strong. Remember, they had no issue with Louis Leblanc--another Québécois draft pick by the Habs (he was the one for whom they passed up on Kreider to pander to the locals who prefer local French-speakers over Anglos)--going to Harvard after he was drafted. And, needless to say, Jerry York > Ted Donato.

Also, I edited my post above with some info about one of Matheson's teammates who is a potential top-10 guy.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:39 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

That's not really an issue. He isn't anywhere close to being NHL ready. He doesn't have the size, and he was wildly inconsistent last year. He is still learning how to play the game. There might be some push for him to spend a couple years in the Q, but I don't think it'll be strong. Remember, they had no issue with Louis Leblanc--another Québécois draft pick by the Habs (he was the one for whom they passed up on Kreider to pander to the locals who prefer local French-speakers over Anglos)--going to Harvard after he was drafted. And, needless to say, Jerry York > Ted Donato.

Also, I edited my post above with some info about one of Matheson's teammates who is a potential top-10 guy.

Sorry my question was on the pressure from Montreal for him to go to the Q. I still remember when they grabbed Leblanc over Kreider, was absolutely hilarious at the time, even more so now
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:43 am

Matheson to Florida at 23, great news.

Edit: Here are some comments from Florida front office

Fla. GM Dave Tallon on Matheson: "He can really skate, and I love defensemen who can skate. He's arguably the best skater in the draft and can move the puck."

Fla. Dir of Player Devlpmt Brian Skrudland on Matheson: "His skating ability is incredible. The game's all about skating to me."

Matheson on draft night reaffirming his commitment to BC and told teams when interviewed
http://video.panthers.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=93&id=182498&cmpid=embed-share-video
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

PreviousNext