Recruits doing well

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Recruits doing well

Postby SeaCaptim on Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:19 pm

BC recruit Brendan Silk got his 3rd goal for USNDT under 18 team vs UMaine tonight. He was skating on a line with another BC recruit-Frankie Vatrano, who is lighting it up. Evan Richardson, the recruit from western Canada is supposed to be a special player and he could land at BC either next season or 2013, depending on circumstances.
SeaCaptim
Carney Hall

Re: Recruits doing well

Postby SeaCaptim on Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:22 pm

Marc Biega (D) is still out there and BC needs a defenseman.
SeaCaptim
Carney Hall

Postby wolverineneshl on Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:25 pm

Does HU have the inside track since his siblings went there?
wolverineneshl
McGuinn Hall

Postby SeaCaptim on Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:26 pm

I would think he would have been Harvard bound many months ago...perhaps Harvard's shaky program is steering him in another direction.
SeaCaptim
Carney Hall

Postby SeaCaptim on Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:54 pm

Rumblings that Casey Fitzgerald-Defenseman and brother of BC commit-Ryan Fitzgerald, has committed to BC. CF is only a frosh at Malden Catholic, so 2015 is the projected arrival date.
SeaCaptim
Carney Hall

Postby shockdoct on Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:44 pm

SeaCaptim {l Wrote}:Rumblings that Casey Fitzgerald-Defenseman and brother of BC commit-Ryan Fitzgerald, has committed to BC. CF is only a frosh at Malden Catholic, so 2015 is the projected arrival date.

York alluded to being very excited about the elder Fitzgerald this past summer.
shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:24 am

SeaCaptim {l Wrote}:Marc Biega (D) is still out there and BC needs a defenseman.
wolverineneshl {l Wrote}:Does HU have the inside track since his siblings went there?
SeaCaptim {l Wrote}:I would think he would have been Harvard bound many months ago...perhaps Harvard's shaky program is steering him in another direction.

Is there room for Biega? BC already has 3 defensemen committed for 2012 and 2 more for 2013. Also, Biega was picked in the Quebec Major Junior draft and might be looking in that direction.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:18 pm

RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:
SeaCaptim {l Wrote}:Marc Biega (D) is still out there and BC needs a defenseman.
wolverineneshl {l Wrote}:Does HU have the inside track since his siblings went there?
SeaCaptim {l Wrote}:I would think he would have been Harvard bound many months ago...perhaps Harvard's shaky program is steering him in another direction.

Is there room for Biega? BC already has 3 defensemen committed for 2012 and 2 more for 2013. Also, Biega was picked in the Quebec Major Junior draft and might be looking in that direction.

For 2012, Lose Cross & Shea. We have to assume Dumoulin is gone so we'll be losing 3 and adding 3. I can't believe Wey is going to leave after yet another injury filled season so he'll wait till senior year but you never know.

For 2013, Lose Wey & Alber add 2.

If possible would love to add another Dman. Depth is a huge issue as clearly York doesn't trust Begert right now.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby SeaCaptim on Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:56 pm

York should be able to find a Defenseman who can play. Assuming BC does not have a full scholarship available right away, we still can bring in a quality kid on a 2 or 3 year offer. Often times the recruit is told (with verifiable history) that he will get a 2 or 3 year scholly guaranteed, and a chance for an additional year, if another BC player turns Pro early.
SeaCaptim
Carney Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:28 pm

Midterm Ranks for North American skaters was released today, after a quick look through saw 2 for BC next year (I might have missed some just breezed through it).

29. Matheson
206. Silk

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=76670&navid=DL|NHL|home
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:29 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Midterm Ranks for North American skaters was released today, after a quick look through saw 2 for BC next year (I might have missed some just breezed through it).

29. Matheson
206. Silk

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=76670&navid=DL|NHL|home

Matheson is slipping a bit based on his season so far in the USHL.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby SeaCaptim on Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:42 pm

That is a perfect spot for Matheson, as we do not want him going in the top 10 of the 1st round. This way, he most likely ends up at BC, and not in the NHL minors next season. Matheson is doing fine from everything I read. He is young and developing and will have a great opportunity to develop further at BC. He appears to be offensive minded and we could use that.
SeaCaptim
Carney Hall

Postby bignick33 on Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:25 pm

SeaCaptim {l Wrote}:That is a perfect spot for Matheson, as we do not want him going in the top 10 of the 1st round. This way, he most likely ends up at BC, and not in the NHL minors next season. Matheson is doing fine from everything I read. He is young and developing and will have a great opportunity to develop further at BC. He appears to be offensive minded and we could use that.

He won't be anywhere close to 10.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:41 pm

York talking on http://www.thepipelineshow.com/ a Canadian show, about Matheson not concerned about the issue of showing up with rights traded. Family values education.

Thoughts on the departed to CHL Shea: still follows as players as best as he can (hasn't checked in a month) adjustment period etc
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:00 pm

MM has been playing better recently in Dubuque, and it no longer looks like he's at risk of falling out of the first round.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:24 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:MM has been playing better recently in Dubuque, and it no longer looks like he's at risk of falling out of the first round.

Granted you can never know for sure but what's your guess on the number of years he stays at BC?
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:26 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:MM has been playing better recently in Dubuque, and it no longer looks like he's at risk of falling out of the first round.

Granted you can never know for sure but what's your guess on the number of years he stays at BC?

I don't think I could make an educated guess. Too many variables.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:44 am

From NEHJ: BC-bound Vatrano on verge
By Bill Keefe

Everybody has to start somewhere.

For Frankie Vatrano, that meant strapping on the street hockey goalie pads as a 5-year-old and letting his brothers — 12 and 8 years older — “ripping them at me with no mercy.”

Vatrano has come a long way from providing entertainment for his brothers in their East Longmeadow, Mass., driveway. A center on the U.S. Under-18 National Team with a scholarship waiting next year at Boston College, Vatrano’s ability also has him in the mix at the highest level of the game. Last month, he was ranked 118th among North American skaters for June’s draft by the NHL Central Scouting Bureau.

“It’s always in the back of your head,” Vatrano said of the draft. “I try not to think about it and play the best I can. Before a game, you look up and there are tons of scouts there. No one on the team gets too worried about it. You try to take it one game at a time.”

Vatrano did admit that it’s “very exciting knowing everything you worked for is right around the corner.”

Being around his older brothers immersed Vatrano in the game. Sammy, the oldest of the three, played at Babson and Greg played at AIC, graduating last spring. Vatrano would go to their games and, when Greg was playing for the New England Junior Falcons, there was an extra draw because his cousin, current Boston College senior Barry Almeida (Springfield, Mass.), also was on the team.

From an early age, Frankie Vatrano and his parents put their time in on the road driving the hour-and-a-half to Marlboro, Mass., to play for the Minuteman Flames and then for the Boston Junior Bruins Empire League team. As one of the youngest Empire League players at age 14, Vatrano posted 38-38-76 numbers to help the Bruins to a playoff crown.

Last year, he made the jump to the U.S. National Team Development Program and did not miss a beat. His 19 goals and 30 points both ranked second on the team. He led the club in game-winning goals with seven and tied for the lead with four power-play goals.

Through 37 games this season, Vatrano was tied for second on the team with 10 goals and tied for fourth with 20 points.

“He has an NHL-level shot,” said Danton Cole, who has coached Vatrano for both seasons with the NTDP. “He can really hum a puck.”

But Vatrano is more than a one-dimensional player and works on his overall game.

“This year, I’m getting more physical, getting into the corners and it helps my play a lot,” Vatrano said. “Sometimes you’re not on your best game and you have to find other ways to contribute. There are always things you can get better at, the defensive game, moving laterally.”

Vatrano is thick at 5-foot-10 and 215 pounds. Just don’t take ‘thick’ to be a code word for slow or out of shape. On his Twitter account, Vatrano lays claim to being the “fastest 5-10 215 human.” He adds, “I’m comfortable where I am. If I lost five pounds, I would not be the same player.”

Said Cole, “He works his tail off in the weight room and on the ice. He is one of our strongest players. He is very efficient in his skating. He tracks the puck offensively and defensively as well as anyone here. If there’s a race for the puck, he usually wins it.”

Vatrano recently got the chance to showcase his skills for family, friends and probably a BC representative when the Under-18s came to Boston for a pair of games Jan. 7 and 8. Vatrano had a goal in a 7-4 win at Northeastern followed by an assist in a 3-3 tie with Boston University.

Next year, the games with BU will take on added significance, not only because of the BC-BU history, but also because his roommate of the past two years, Matt Grzelcyk (Charlestown, Mass.), will be wearing scarlet and white.

“We joke around a little bit,” Vatrano said of the future rivalry. “It will be a lot of fun playing against him after living with him for two years, but it will be weird at the same time.”

It is those friendships as well as the experience of representing your country in international tournaments that Vatrano said he will relish the most from his time with the NTDP. So far, he has won three international competitions with two more opportunities: the Five Nations Tournament in Finland Feb. 7-13 and the World Under-18 Championships in the Czech Republic in April.

From doing anything just to play in the driveway to a Division 1 scholarship, a world championship opportunity and the subject of NHL scouts. Tag-along brothers everywhere, take notice.

http://www.hockeyjournal.com/news/juniors/2011-12/From_NEHJ-_BC-bound_Vatrano_on_verge
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:25 pm

MATHESON NAMED USHL DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF WEEK
Blue-liner contributed two goals and an assist as Fighting Saints took four of six points.

March 20, 2012

DUBUQUE, Iowa – One member of the Fighting Saints secured some league-wide recognition after the team grabbed four of six points this past weekend. Mike Matheson was named USHL Defensive Player of the Week after collecting three points, including two goals and an assist, over three games for the Fighting Saints. The defenseman scored a goal and dished out an assist in Thursday’s 4-1 win over Team USA. He also equaled a season high when he finished the contest with a plus-three rating.

Matheson completed the weekend scoring his ninth goal of the season just sixteen seconds into Saturday’s loss to Waterloo. He also helped the Saints successfully deny 12-of-13 opponent power play chances during the three-game stretch. The 18-year-old from Pointe-Claire, Quebec has put up 22 points, nine goals and thirteen assists, in 45 games during his first USHL season. A top prospect for the 2012 NHL Draft who is committed to play NCAA hockey at Boston College, Matheson is tied for third among all League defensemen with nine goals.

http://www.dubuquefightingsaints.com/sl ... hp?sid=397
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:27 am

Central Scouting had their final rankings for North American skaters, here are BC's recruits

Michael Matheson #30 6'2" 175 D
Chris Calnan #69 6'2" 188 RW
Frank Vatrano #88 5'10" 218 C
Travis Jeke # 184 6'4" 205 D (BC has really gravitated towards these large defensemen)
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:35 pm

BC added another for 2013, F Adam Gilmour of Nobles.

6-2, 193 & 101 on NHL Draft Rankings
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:03 am

Is the draft rating overall or North America? I know Central Scouting breaks up the two but not sure about the other scouting services.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:26 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:Is the draft rating overall or North America? I know Central Scouting breaks up the two but not sure about the other scouting services.

North America, sorry should've specified.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:16 am

Recruit Austin Cangelosi in the news for a highlight reel goal:

http://ushl.com/news.php?news_id=907

Forgive me if the youtube doesn't work, it's blocked at work but trying to embed nonetheless

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/ISftuDMmWWI[/youtube]
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby RedBaron67 on Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:02 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Recruit Austin Cangelosi in the news for a highlight reel goal:

Forgive me if the youtube doesn't work, it's blocked at work but trying to embed nonetheless

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/embed/ISftuDMmWWI[/youtube]

That really was quite a spectacular goal -- first a chip shot over 2 defensemen, then another chip shot over the goalie, in OT of a 0-0 game, for the first playoff win in the team's history. Cangelosi had 29 goals and 30 assists in 53 games this season -- another Gaudreau in the making? It makes me wonder: did NHL Central Scouting overlook Cangelosi, or is he slightly too young for this year's draft?
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:26 pm

RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:Recruit Austin Cangelosi in the news for a highlight reel goal:

That really was quite a spectacular goal -- first a chip shot over 2 defensemen, then another chip shot over the goalie, in OT of a 0-0 game, for the first playoff win in the team's history. Cangelosi had 29 goals and 30 assists in 53 games this season -- another Gaudreau in the making? It makes me wonder: did NHL Central Scouting overlook Cangelosi, or is he slightly too young for this year's draft?

Yeah since he's a USHL kid, I'll defer to BigNick on that one.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby RedBaron67 on Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:57 pm

I found out: 18 years old by September 15 is the NHL draft cutoff, so Cangelosi at August 27 narrowly qualifies. I'm pretty surprised that NHL Central Scouting passed him over.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby SeaCaptim on Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:14 pm

Cangleosi is only 5' 6" 160 pounds and the NHL does not place a premium on small fast kids. If you watch the NHL games, the trend is bigger than ever...the Rangers look like they have about 6 guys at 6' 5" plus.
SeaCaptim
Carney Hall

Postby bignick33 on Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:55 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:

Yeah since he's a USHL kid, I'll defer to BigNick on that one.

I think he projects to be a really good college player...the next little BC forward. He might or might not be drafted, but for such a small kid, that's immaterial as far as his college upside. Remember Gaudreau was only a 4th rounder and Gerbe was a 5th (!) rounder.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby wolverineneshl on Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:55 pm

Anybody know anything about Peter McMullen? He's suppose to come in the fall but would like to know any info on him.
wolverineneshl
McGuinn Hall

Next

Return to Kelley Rink