North Dakota Fighting Sioux

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: North Dakota Fighting Sioux

Postby BC '00 on Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:36 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
BC '00 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
BC '00 {l Wrote}:
(e.g. using "Redskins" is akin to naming a team the N*****s)

Not true. Look up why they were named the Redskins and get back to me.

I don't think it really matters why they were named that, unless there was a local tribal chieftain named Joe Redskin who they were honoring. And I think N*****s is overstating it...it's more like "Darkies" or something. Whether it was originally intended as an insult doesn't matter much.

Actually it does because a word without intention is just a formation of letters. If you don't take context and intention into account, you're just being a sensitive boob.

I like boobs.
BC '00
Cushing Hall

Postby bcsoxfan12 on Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:35 pm

BC '00 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
BC '00 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
BC '00 {l Wrote}:
(e.g. using "Redskins" is akin to naming a team the N*****s)

Not true. Look up why they were named the Redskins and get back to me.

I don't think it really matters why they were named that, unless there was a local tribal chieftain named Joe Redskin who they were honoring. And I think N*****s is overstating it...it's more like "Darkies" or something. Whether it was originally intended as an insult doesn't matter much.

Actually it does because a word without intention is just a formation of letters. If you don't take context and intention into account, you're just being a sensitive boob.

I like boobs.

I second that :skank .....see common ground that all of us can agree on.......seriously, some people need to lighten up
bcsoxfan12
Campion Hall

Postby angryty on Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:14 pm

The 74 weakness of academia and the NCAA is shameful. North American Indians had 9/10 of a whole continent to themselves, abundant natural resources that Europe could only dream about and what did they do with it? Nothing. Not a single scientific or technological achievement to speak off. From a purely Darwinian perspective, they deserved to lose the continent and deserved to be exterminated. On top of that they can't handle their liquor.

The only thing wrong with Indian mascots is they actually do venerate Indians. I would prefer to see more truthful monikers like instead of William & Mary's The Tribe they could change it to "The Useless Drunks Who Exist for the Day the Government Check Arrives and They get to Go on a Three Day bender" or "the Fighting Sioux" who could be changed to "Backward Savage Cowards Who Got Their Asses Handed to Them Everytime They Fought Europeans in Forces Larger than 200" or the The Aztecs, who admittedly don't fall into the same category in that they had a few technological achievements could be renamed "The Supersticious Cowards Who Had Basic Understandings of Astronomy and Mathematics But Who Managed to get Destroyed by a a Group of Menudo Rejects".
angryty
McGuinn Hall

Postby BigRedGuy on Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:30 pm

I am 3/8ths Irish can I be personally offended by Notre Dame using Irish as a Mascot? BTW I remember SI doing an article on the North Dakota Alum who donated the $$$ for the arena was controversial because he liked to collect SS / Hitler memorabillia. The mascot thing is out of control. When I lived in Florida the liberals wanted FSU to get rid of the "Seminole" mascot until the actual SEminole Nation objected, stating that they were proud of how the University used and carried the Mascot / Nickname
BigRedGuy
n00b

Previous

Return to Kelley Rink