2017-18 Season

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2017-18 Season

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:13 pm

Another very good win tonight
User avatar
eepstein0
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 15368
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:35 pm
Location: Danvers, MA
Karma: -325

Re: 2017-18 Season

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:20 pm

#13 in the PWR and 7-1 in league play with a big one tomorrow against Betardo’s alma mater. Woll is the best goalie in college hockey and he is the best I think we have seen at BC—he is as physically gifted as Schneider without Schneider’s penchant for having the occasional shit-the-bed night where he couldn’t stop a beach ball.

And just as good, BU is circling the drain. It is one thing to get horse raped by Denver, it is an entirely different thing when Maine does it to you.
Dick Rosenthal
Cushing Hall
 
Posts: 2126
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:39 pm
Karma: 364

Re: 2017-18 Season

Postby BostonCollege1 on Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:42 pm

Dick Rosenthal wrote:#13 in the PWR and 7-1 in league play with a big one tomorrow against Betardo’s alma mater. Woll is the best goalie in college hockey and he is the best I think we have seen at BC—he is as physically gifted as Schneider without Schneider’s penchant for having the occasional shit-the-bed night where he couldn’t stop a beach ball.

And just as good, BU is circling the drain. It is one thing to get horse raped by Denver, it is an entirely different thing when Maine does it to you.


BU got blown out by Maine?!? That’s spectacular!

Tonight was another big win for Jerry’s boys, UNH started off the season very well. Any win at UNH is a good one. If BC can take 3 out of the next 5 vs. NU, BU and Harvard (not sure why they’re losing so much), I’ll be happy.

I’m still not perfectly sold on Woll, I think he has some odd off-nights, but he doesn’t let up a lot of big rebounds.

I think we’re on the same page; this is a young team, still developing their identity and you simply don’t count out Coach Champion.
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall
 
Posts: 533
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:37 am
Karma: 62

Re: 2017-18 Season

Postby AdamBC on Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:14 am

https://streamable.com/kitep

Woll's save was number 2 on Sports Center top 10 last night.
User avatar
AdamBC
Cushing Hall
 
Posts: 2729
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:57 pm
Karma: 376

Re: 2017-18 Season

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:19 pm

Pounded the Puppies tonight 4 to 1. Very likely to climb into the top 10 with back to back road wins over top 15 teams. They also go to 8-1 in Hockey East and 3 games up on the 2nd place Puppies.
Dick Rosenthal
Cushing Hall
 
Posts: 2126
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:39 pm
Karma: 364

Re: 2017-18 Season

Postby BostonCollege1 on Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:10 pm

Dick Rosenthal wrote:Pounded the Puppies tonight 4 to 1. Very likely to climb into the top 10 with back to back road wins over top 15 teams. They also go to 8-1 in Hockey East and 3 games up on the 2nd place Puppies.


Jerry's been saying that they have to learn to win with a defense-first mentality and scrapping for goals, and it appears they've bought in. Love it.
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall
 
Posts: 533
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:37 am
Karma: 62

Re: 2017-18 Season

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:11 pm

A 4-4 tie against Harvard—blowing a late goal that allowed Harvard to tie. Harvard has struggled this year, but on paper they are a very good team, so maybe they just need some time to gel. Also, BC has tended to spit the bit in the Thanksgiving weekend games it has played against Harvard in recent years, so I can’t complain about the result.

BU shit the bed against Cornell at MSG-fell behind 3-0 and 4-1 before deciding to actually try, but came up short 4-3. Nobody does less with more than David Quinn, so it will be interesting to see what happens. If we sweep them, I think the year is over for them—they have shown repeatedly that they have no heart—and if they are six or seven games out of 1st place they likely pack it in and start dreaming about starting their pro careers. If they sweep us they are right back in the hunt.
Dick Rosenthal
Cushing Hall
 
Posts: 2126
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:39 pm
Karma: 364

Re: 2017-18 Season

Postby BostonCollege1 on Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:08 pm

Dick Rosenthal wrote:A 4-4 tie against Harvard—blowing a late goal that allowed Harvard to tie. Harvard has struggled this year, but on paper they are a very good team, so maybe they just need some time to gel. Also, BC has tended to spit the bit in the Thanksgiving weekend games it has played against Harvard in recent years, so I can’t complain about the result.

BU shit the bed against Cornell at MSG-fell behind 3-0 and 4-1 before deciding to actually try, but came up short 4-3. Nobody does less with more than David Quinn, so it will be interesting to see what happens. If we sweep them, I think the year is over for them—they have shown repeatedly that they have no heart—and if they are six or seven games out of 1st place they likely pack it in and start dreaming about starting their pro careers. If they sweep us they are right back in the hunt.


I love that they moved the home and home weekend vs. BU back to December. Great to have a really meaningful weekend series before the break, with the students there.
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall
 
Posts: 533
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:37 am
Karma: 62

Re: 2017-18 Season

Postby b0mberMan on Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:38 pm

BU seems to be in that place Michigan was maybe 20 years ago: a holding spot for NHL bound players with no team identity.

It’s fabtastic.
NorthEndEagle wrote:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall
 
Posts: 9353
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:43 pm
Location: Cat hair pee fire
Karma: 2652

Re: 2017-18 Season

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:47 pm

Nice effort to earn the split. Played really sloppy last night, but game back with a disciplined effort that shut down BU. Would have been nice to finish off BU with a sweep, but after tonight’s completely dominating effort, I feel pretty good about this team.
Dick Rosenthal
Cushing Hall
 
Posts: 2126
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:39 pm
Karma: 364

Re: 2017-18 Season

Postby b0mberMan on Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:15 am

Still not sure if we're that much different than last year: clean up on weak teams, can't hang against good teams. Feel like we're always getting outshot.

Here's hoping this is one of those "we get better as the season goes along" type years and November was the start of that trend.
NorthEndEagle wrote:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall
 
Posts: 9353
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:43 pm
Location: Cat hair pee fire
Karma: 2652

Re: 2017-18 Season

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:57 pm

They are better than last year. They are not a National Championship threat, but they will make the tournament this year. And while I don’t think they can win four games in the tournament, with Woll, they are capable of beating anyone in a one and done situation. I was told by someone who I think is in the know, Coach Champion has been building things carefully with an eye to building a juggernaut for his farewell seasons. Lenny left the cupboard dry when he retired—basically Ian Moran and a lot of garbage—which doomed Cedarchuk. York is not going to do that to Brown.
Dick Rosenthal
Cushing Hall
 
Posts: 2126
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:39 pm
Karma: 364

Re: 2017-18 Season

Postby b0mberMan on Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:48 am

Still not sure I’m ready to believe we’re materially different from last year.
NorthEndEagle wrote:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall
 
Posts: 9353
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:43 pm
Location: Cat hair pee fire
Karma: 2652

Re: 2017-18 Season

Postby BostonCollege1 on Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:44 pm

b0mberMan wrote:Still not sure I’m ready to believe we’re materially different from last year.


Radically different, no, but there's a difference from last year. We have more young, offensive talent. They're just raw.

On the pre-game radio interview, Jerry said they have to stay out of the penalty box. Unfortunately, it didn't take this young team much time to completely lose their composure last night against a veteran team, much like the first game against BU. They need to win at least two of the upcoming out of conference games.
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall
 
Posts: 533
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:37 am
Karma: 62

Re: 2017-18 Season

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:38 am

Campoli just left the team. Hadn't seen the ice this year, so the reason why is pretty obvious.
NorthEndEagle wrote:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall
 
Posts: 9353
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:43 pm
Location: Cat hair pee fire
Karma: 2652

Re: 2017-18 Season

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:16 pm

Lohan was assaulted outside a restaurant on Boylston and is out indefinately?
User avatar
eepstein0
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 15368
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:35 pm
Location: Danvers, MA
Karma: -325

Re: 2017-18 Season

Postby BostonCollege1 on Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:51 pm

eepstein0 wrote:Lohan was assaulted outside a restaurant on Boylston and is out indefinately?


BC's statement said the unprovoked assault occurred at a restaurant on Boylston (more bar than restaurant, perhaps?), didn't mention if was inside or outside. BPD investigating. Very strange.

Lohan's listed at 6'5", 217. Hard to believe someone could do so much damage to keep him out indefinitely. Bottle to the head?
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall
 
Posts: 533
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:37 am
Karma: 62

Re: 2017-18 Season

Postby claver2010 on Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:11 am

i'm sure it is a restaurant by day, bar by night
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
User avatar
claver2010
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 16838
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:55 pm
Karma: 2940

Re: 2017-18 Season

Postby eagle33 on Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:38 am

Story on the news this morning says he was with his girlfriend and it looked like maybe it was a fast food place. Sounds like he has a broken jaw.
eagle33
McGuinn Hall
 
Posts: 533
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:29 am
Karma: 39

Re: 2017-18 Season

Postby angrychicken on Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:49 am

Does Ryan Ohliger have an alibi for the night in question?
User avatar
angrychicken
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 15564
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:39 pm
Karma: 15395

Re: 2017-18 Season

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:41 am

angrychicken wrote:Does Ryan Ohliger have an alibi for the night in question?

or frank spaziani?
Image
User avatar
TobaccoRoadEagle
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 19998
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:51 am
Location: tobaccoroad
Karma: 5601

Re: 2017-18 Season

Postby flyingelvii on Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:51 am

eagle33 wrote:Story on the news this morning says he was with his girlfriend and it looked like maybe it was a fast food place. Sounds like he has a broken jaw.

Per Google he was in line at the Domino's in Fenway. I'm guessing he was coming from Baseball Tavern or one of the bars around there.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall
 
Posts: 5015
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:28 pm
Karma: 593

Re: 2017-18 Season

Postby BostonCollege1 on Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:31 pm

flyingelvii wrote:
eagle33 wrote:Story on the news this morning says he was with his girlfriend and it looked like maybe it was a fast food place. Sounds like he has a broken jaw.

Per Google he was in line at the Domino's in Fenway. I'm guessing he was coming from Baseball Tavern or one of the bars around there.


It’s one thing to choose Domino’s for your late night munchies, but to actually wait in line for that shit?
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall
 
Posts: 533
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:37 am
Karma: 62

Re: 2017-18 Season

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:23 pm

BostonCollege1 wrote:
flyingelvii wrote:
eagle33 wrote:Story on the news this morning says he was with his girlfriend and it looked like maybe it was a fast food place. Sounds like he has a broken jaw.

Per Google he was in line at the Domino's in Fenway. I'm guessing he was coming from Baseball Tavern or one of the bars around there.


It’s one thing to choose Domino’s for your late night munchies, but to actually wait in line for that shit?

and you need to be on your toes to avoid the noid
Image
User avatar
TobaccoRoadEagle
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 19998
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:51 am
Location: tobaccoroad
Karma: 5601

Re: 2017-18 Season

Postby HJS on Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:19 pm

Seems that it has been years since BC has been Frozen Four-worthy. I think it's fair to wonder whether Jerry has lost his fastball.
Gov. Romney, when you were asked what is the biggest geopolitical foe facing America, you said Russia. And the 1980s are now calling to ask for their foreign policy back. The Cold War has been over for 20 years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bowhUWl6rxQ
User avatar
HJS
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 13471
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:08 pm
Karma: 193

Re: 2017-18 Season

Postby BostonCollege1 on Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:33 pm

HJS wrote:Seems that it has been years since BC has been Frozen Four-worthy. I think it's fair to wonder whether Jerry has lost his fastball.


Fair to wonder, but if Eeli Tolvanen was eligible for college, this would be a radically different team. The Predators are talking about having him jump to the NHL this year, once he's done with his KHL season, where he's having an "historic" year for an 18/19 year old. https://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2017/12/12/16766936/eeli-tolvanen-khl-record-predators-2017-nhl-draft-olympics

As for future recruits, it's a bit up and down, but we do have some very well regarded kids coming in the next couple of years. Harvard's recruiting as well as, or better, than anyone in the country.
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall
 
Posts: 533
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:37 am
Karma: 62

Re: 2017-18 Season

Postby HJS on Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:11 am

All good teams have been losing kids to the NHL sooner than they'd like. Jerry still seems surprised and Ill-equipped to handle it. I go back to the Jack Eichel recruitment wher he refused to take a one-and-done player but wound up taking a kid who never showed up on campus (Sonny Milano) and a one-and-done player who wasn't as honest about his intentions (Hanifin). It reminds me of Coach K before he adjusted and found the right formula of mixing multi-year players with rentals.
Gov. Romney, when you were asked what is the biggest geopolitical foe facing America, you said Russia. And the 1980s are now calling to ask for their foreign policy back. The Cold War has been over for 20 years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bowhUWl6rxQ
User avatar
HJS
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 13471
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:08 pm
Karma: 193

Re: 2017-18 Season

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:32 am

Hate to be epstein, but earlier this year I expressed concern that this team looked like last year's team: could beat up on weak competition but can't win against good/better teams. That seems to be playing out. Given how down the Hockey East is as a whole, we're still sitting on top of the standings and aren't out of the post season yet. But we're not getting in unless we win the tourney given how awful our OOC was.
NorthEndEagle wrote:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall
 
Posts: 9353
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:43 pm
Location: Cat hair pee fire
Karma: 2652

Re: 2017-18 Season

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:34 am

Really the shame is BU's going to win the tourney next week (cause Northeastern never wins) and feel like they accomplished something for once with all of their NHL talent.
NorthEndEagle wrote:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall
 
Posts: 9353
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:43 pm
Location: Cat hair pee fire
Karma: 2652

Re: 2017-18 Season

Postby claver2010 on Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:24 am

outside of woll, just not a whole lot of talent on the roster.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
User avatar
claver2010
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 16838
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:55 pm
Karma: 2940

PreviousNext

Return to Kelley Rink

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Untitled document