Class of 2018

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Class of 2018

Postby HJS on Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:57 pm

Has there ever been a postmortem as to what happened with that recruiting class? Maybe it all boils down to miss playing Eichel (but that's nonetheless a career-defining screw up).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Re: Class of 2018

Postby claver2010 on Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:08 am

I think after Noah's departure some discussion / examination of the recruiting is warranted.

The whispers as to why Eichel didn't come to BC was because Jerry required a committment of 2 years which Eichel wasn't willing to give. Logic would dictate that Noah made that commitment and then...

It has seemed there have been a growing number of recruits who don't show and players who bounce early. Then you look at how the lack of depth has impacted this team over the last 3 years it's not hard to connect the dots.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Snooks Kelly on Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:49 pm

It seems that a high number of USNDT players are skipping college or are doing the one and done. I don't know if it's because of what's being fed to them in Ann Arbor, or, maybe this is just normal. Also, it appears that the NHL is making a bigger deal of the draft. Kids that you used to notified by a phone call are being wined and dined all over, I can only imagine how smoke Francis blew up Hannifan's butt in Tampa.

Lastly, if a kid is using Bobby Orr as his advisor/agent -- stay away. That guy has no interest in formal education.
Snooks Kelly
n00b

Postby HJS on Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:27 pm

So basically... in an effort to "take a stand" against one-and-done players, we passed on one of hockey's great talents because he was honest on about his collegiate plans. And, instead, we took 2 less truthful players in Sonny Milano and Noah Hanifin.

This feels a bit like the growing pains Coach K dealt with with one-and-done players. Nonetheless, I think the biggest flag on this is not correctly reading Milano and Hanifin while deciding to kick Eichel down Comm Ave.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:55 pm

Or it is a shift in terms of how York is constructing his teams. The truth is that if you look at our rosters since the Coach Champion Era began the highly touted, high 1st round draft pick is an outlier in our program. Prior to Hanafin, I don't think we had another kid drafted in the Top-10 during the York era (Ceglarski had at least couple--Guerin and Leetch). At one point Reasoner was listed as a possible top 5 pick but if I am not mistaken he ended up being a mid 1st round pick. To the extent we have had 1st rounders, they tended to be either late 1st round picks--Pat Eaves comes to mind or guys in the high teens early 20s who were "projects"--raw with size--like Orpik, Boyle, Kreider, Kevin Hayes.

Looking at our National Championship teams, the only one that had more than 2 late 1st rounders on it was 2001--with Kobasew going 14 and Kolanos going 19 (with Orpik going 18). Of course, the two high drafted skill players--Kolanos and Kobasew also left after 2 and 1 years respectively and the team fell off a cliff the next season. After that, the 2008 and 2010 teams were dominated by undrafted and middle round players--the 08 team being notable for prison raping a Wisconsin team loaded with high draft picks--I think Nick Petrecki may have been a 1st round pick but if he was it was at the tail end of the round. The 12 team had two first rounders in Kreider and Hayes--but of the raw, big, late 1st round variety and a lot of 2nd, 3rd and 4th round talent, which is usually left alone by the NHL to develop.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby BostonCollege1 on Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:10 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Or it is a shift in terms of how York is constructing his teams. The truth is that if you look at our rosters since the Coach Champion Era began the highly touted, high 1st round draft pick is an outlier in our program. Prior to Hanafin, I don't think we had another kid drafted in the Top-10 during the York era (Ceglarski had at least couple--Guerin and Leetch). At one point Reasoner was listed as a possible top 5 pick but if I am not mistaken he ended up being a mid 1st round pick. To the extent we have had 1st rounders, they tended to be either late 1st round picks--Pat Eaves comes to mind or guys in the high teens early 20s who were "projects"--raw with size--like Orpik, Boyle, Kreider, Kevin Hayes.

Looking at our National Championship teams, the only one that had more than 2 late 1st rounders on it was 2001--with Kobasew going 14 and Kolanos going 19 (with Orpik going 18). Of course, the two high drafted skill players--Kolanos and Kobasew also left after 2 and 1 years respectively and the team fell off a cliff the next season. After that, the 2008 and 2010 teams were dominated by undrafted and middle round players--the 08 team being notable for prison raping a Wisconsin team loaded with high draft picks--I think Nick Petrecki may have been a 1st round pick but if he was it was at the tail end of the round. The 12 team had two first rounders in Kreider and Hayes--but of the raw, big, late 1st round variety and a lot of 2nd, 3rd and 4th round talent, which is usually left alone by the NHL to develop.

Dick's absolutely correct. I'd rather have a slightly less talented kid (and the undersized speedsters and developing projects) that stays for 3-4 years, gets better over time, and values the college, the education and the York experience. Enough of the one and dones - that's what Major Junior is for.
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:26 pm

Meh, I enjoy winning.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:03 pm

Okay, but that goes to the fundemental question--what is the best way to win. At BC, during this era of greatness, we have defeated and in certain notable instances, prison raped some very young Minnesota, Wisconsin, North Dakota and Michigan teams that were loaded with high draft picks with teams built on 2nd, 3rd and later round talent.

Me, I think you win more with a Scuderi or Doumlin, etc. who will mature and develop over a Hanafin, whose physical ability was apparent, but who also made some remarkably stupid plays over the course of the season. Of course, you absolutely need to go after a transcendant talent like Leetch, Kariya or Eichel and enjoy the year you get, but defensemen are different and Hanafin was not transcendant.

*While Leetch was obviously a defensemen, what made him a transcendant talent was his off the charts offensive ability. While Leetch's defensive ability was grossly underrated in the NHL it took him a couple of years to develop his uncanny ability to track the puck and his extremely effective rub out hip check.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:32 pm

BC hockey has the luxury of being Duke, but I think the point is that in hockey (as opposed to hoop, which has no competition for the talent in juniors) the old Al Skinner BC build a team mode might provide more long term sustained success.

I'd suggest you build like that and take a 1 and done guy like Eichel or Hanifan every once in a while. Maybe they stay an extra year like Kreider (he's the STAR/top draft pick of that last championship team, although it was only #20)
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:26 pm

While what Dick wrote is accurate, I'd like to point out that if York took Eichel instead of that jabroni from Strong Island, he would have had another title to his name. Basically, that means I'm with teddy in the build a team like BC always has, but occasionally pepper it with superstar one-and-doners.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:11 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:While what Dick wrote is accurate, I'd like to point out that if York took Eichel instead of that jabroni from Strong Island, he would have had another title to his name. Basically, that means I'm with teddy in the build a team like BC always has, but occasionally pepper it with superstar one-and-doners.

That BC team last year was a mess. I don't believe last year's team wins a NC with Eichel. There was some weird chemistry issue which I could never put my finger on. Outside of Tuch and Hanifan, there also wasn't much other high end talent.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BostonCollege1 on Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:30 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:While what Dick wrote is accurate, I'd like to point out that if York took Eichel instead of that jabroni from Strong Island, he would have had another title to his name. Basically, that means I'm with teddy in the build a team like BC always has, but occasionally pepper it with superstar one-and-doners.

That BC team last year was a mess. I don't believe last year's team wins a NC with Eichel. There was some weird chemistry issue which I could never put my finger on. Outside of Tuch and Hanifan, there also wasn't much other high end talent.

There wasn't even much mid-grade offensive talent on last year's team - at least not in the upperclassmen.

Some on this board can bitch about how we would have won with Eichel, but BU didn't. We've traditionally won with some higher-end (but not elite) young talent, supplanted with fast, tough role-players who could put the puck in the net. Gionta, Gaudreau, Gerbe and Atkinson weren't NHL ready after one year - too small. Boyle and the Hayes brothers needed to develop their skating. But we win with them in years 2-4, especially when most of the rest of the team is guys like Hughes, Scuderi, Whitney, Mullane, Arnold, Cross, Bellefeuille, Gibbons, Almeida, etc. These guys were good to great college players, but not elite NHL talent.

The one and dones are why the Sioux, Minny, Michigan haven't won shit lately. Yale, Union and PC have, though. It's still a team sport.
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:59 am

While this is undeniably true, I am also not ready to get on board with the Union, etc. approach of stocking up on 25 year old Canadian mercenaries who will never get a sniff above the ECHL.

I am of the get the mid-level NHL talent/promising projects and go after transcendant offensive talent when it is available (despite the one and done likelihood), rinse and repeat.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:41 am

It's not worth arguing but take Eichel off BU they're a .500 club, he was that good (and the numbers back that up). BC made the tournament without him, would they have won it all? Who knows with single elimination but they would've probably been the favorites.

Anyways, I wonder how much of a discussion this would've been if we had more than 2 upperclassmen who would suit up every night on a normal BC team (if you want to throw in Quinn Smith, sure). EPSTEIN POST. As has been said for a couple of years now, you can't completely whiff on 2 classes worth of forwards. Spare me the Johnny argument, he fell into the staffs laps in May and if Ulf JR didn't leave they wouldn't have $$ for him.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:48 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:It's not worth arguing but take Eichel off BU they're a .500 club, he was that good (and the numbers back that up). BC made the tournament without him, would they have won it all? Who knows with single elimination but they would've probably been the favorites.

Anyways, I wonder how much of a discussion this would've been if we had more than 2 upperclassmen who would suit up every night on a normal BC team (if you want to throw in Quinn Smith, sure). EPSTEIN POST. As has been said for a couple of years now, you can't completely whiff on 2 classes worth of forwards. Spare me the Johnny argument, he fell into the staffs laps in May and if Ulf JR didn't leave they wouldn't have $$ for him.

Last year I thought was more of a chemistry issue. There was some weird stuff going on with that team.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:09 am

this deserves a bump
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:37 am

Thought we were in the clear after he took a few shifts this year. :shrug

To be honest, I think we're ok. Having Milano bolt hurt last year but again it was more about not having any offense in the jr. and sr. classes. We now have 3 years of recruiting talent and are essentially down to 2 seniors playing on the 4th line if Silk comes back.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:57 am

I think we're ok as well. Granted this is all with the understanding that they're incredibly young and have played a spaz on 3rd & 10 level soft schedule so far.

The talent upgrade up front is certainly noticeable despite getting absolutely nothing from the senior class. Also pumping 30+ shots per night while allowing 20ish is certainly nice, especially with a healthy demko between the pipes. That plus a PK unit that is running at net 100% (22/24 but 2 SHG), they'll be fine.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:17 am

I thought that, in limited exposure, Bracco was the 4th most noticable frosh behind Wood, White and Fitz in some order (probably Wood first). Of course, that could've changed as everyone settled in.

It is annoying when you look at how similar to the Milano situation of last year this was and think if we had learned anything or not, but I don't know if we should stop chasing top talent because they might leave. I'm sure we all were fine with getting a year of Hanifan, for example, and would've gladly taken Eichel. :shrug
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:48 pm

There certainly should be a talent line as to when you're willing to deal with the potential of anywhere between 0 - 1 year of a player. IMO Hanifin & Eichel would've been/ were worth it. Bracco & Milano are not. Hanifin is towards the edge of 'worth it' as well, there's no question Eichel would've been.

I will say, relaying the message that you're leaving to the coach who gave you $250k+ opportunity via text message says a lot about the kid.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:37 am

Breakaway: Quick word on second-round pick Jeremy Bracco leaving Boston College for the PHL Kitchener Rangers. Your thoughts on him developing in the OHL rather than college? What are the reasons, and were you guys involved in the decision?

Lamoriello: We weren't involved in that. That was a decision he made on his own. I've always said that college isn't for every player and junior isn't for every player. Nor is every player for college or is every player for junior. That's a decision they made. I was surprised to be perfectly honest. He was in an excellent program at Boston College, an outstanding coach (Jerry York), a program that put a lot of NHL players in here. I don't really know everything about it. I have spoken to the coach of Boston College, he was surprised at the decision just like I was.

no reason to doubt lou

http://www.thestar.com/sports/breakaway ... eason.html
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:41 am

The lesson is, as always, never trust a greasy, two-bit dago with a low IQ. I hope neither Bracco nor Milano make it to the show and horrendous injuries to both would be a plus.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:14 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:There certainly should be a talent line as to when you're willing to deal with the potential of anywhere between 0 - 1 year of a player. IMO Hanifin & Eichel would've been/ were worth it. Bracco & Milano are not. Hanifin is towards the edge of 'worth it' as well, there's no question Eichel would've been.

I will say, relaying the message that you're leaving to the coach who gave you $250k+ opportunity via text message says a lot about the kid.

York's done the same to other players.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby Logitano on Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:30 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:There certainly should be a talent line as to when you're willing to deal with the potential of anywhere between 0 - 1 year of a player. IMO Hanifin & Eichel would've been/ were worth it. Bracco & Milano are not. Hanifin is towards the edge of 'worth it' as well, there's no question Eichel would've been.

Watched Hanifan play against the NYR last night so I guess he made the right choice. Tried to put Hayes through the boards. Did not realize he is only 18. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:49 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:

Watched Hanifan play against the NYR last night so I guess he made the right choice. Tried to put Hayes through the boards. Did not realize he is only 18. :ace

In the 2 Canes-NYR games I've watched, I feel like they are mirror images of each other. Carolina controls the puck, can't hit the broadside of the barn, and has awful goaltending. The Rags have plenty of snipers, can't keep the puck on their sticks, and Hank.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:26 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:

In the 2 Canes-NYR games I've watched, I feel like they are mirror images of each other. Carolina controls the puck, can't hit the broadside of the barn, and has awful goaltending. The Rags have plenty of snipers, can't keep the puck on their sticks, and Hank.

the carolina hurricanes play embarrassingly bad hockey. the cam that all of tobaccoroad hates seems to be alergic to stopping the puck at the same degree that the cam that all of tobaccoroad loves seems to be alergic to losing. i also watched gerbe get mauled into the boards about 5 rows in front of me to start his 4 - 6 weeks of injury time out. i see nathan in another sweater next year... he has not been good. maybe he'll get packaged in with that waste of effort staal the oldest
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:42 pm

Went to the game tonight, BC looks like it has a talent problem to me in a major way.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:54 am

can't recall many, if any, teams matching the high end talent bu has this year. 4 1st rounders & 4 second rounders i believe

this year's FR class is supposed to be a solid 4 year class
next year's should have some high end, eeli tolvanen might be a top 5 pick & jacob tortora is leading the u18 team in goals and second in points.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:45 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:can't recall many, if any, teams matching the high end talent bu has this year. 4 1st rounders & 4 second rounders i believe

next year's should have some high end, eeli tolvanen might be a top 5 pick & jacob tortora is leading the u18 team in goals and second in points.

The kids BC has aren't bad at all, but it's not the clear NHL kids that I'm use to seeing.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEagles66 on Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:53 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:can't recall many, if any, teams matching the high end talent bu has this year. 4 1st rounders & 4 second rounders i believe

The kids BC has aren't bad at all, but it's not the clear NHL kids that I'm use to seeing.

That's because they all left early to start their NHL careers this past off-season....
BCEagles66
Carney Hall

Next

Return to Kelley Rink