UMass & NU

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

UMass & NU

Postby claver2010 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:22 pm

Probably the 1st time a UMass game has ever sold out, and head to a house of horrors for BC on Saturday. As a reminder, NU has a free feed which is HD quality.

These next couple of weekends are really a chance to distance ourselves from others in HE. This weekend, the 2 teams are 8th & 9th, followed by 2 home games against last place Maine, then 1 home game against 7th place UVM into the first round of the Beanpot.

Wey is good to go after taking a brutal slash on Saturday night
User avatar
claver2010
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 13151
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:55 pm
Karma: 1495

Re: UMass & NU

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:44 pm

claver2010 wrote:Probably the 1st time a UMass game has ever sold out


Most likely due to the now postponed King York celebration.
User avatar
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 11427
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:25 pm
Location: A Chalupa Stand
Karma: 2555

Re: UMass & NU

Postby claver2010 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:12 pm

Not time to pull the alarm yet but there are certainly concerns.

Need to find out the deal with Sullivan, because we can't last w 5 D & Dyroff for too long

Thankfully this team banked all those wins in the 1st half, no one is going to run away with this thing so there's time to work through the issues. One glaring beyond what we've discussed is the PK. This is the slowest BC team in years and there simply isn't the pressure that we're used to. Not the best metric, but only 1 SHG this season (believe it was an ENG)? We're usually near the top in teh country in those.

Thought the first 5/10 minutes was really the turning point in the game. A couple of 5 on 3s with great chances, that just didn't go in. To top it off UMass throws in SHG that really put the team in a malaise.

Anyway onto the next one.
User avatar
claver2010
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 13151
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:55 pm
Karma: 1495

Re: UMass & NU

Postby shockdoct on Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:59 am

Pulling an IB here, but I recognized the Tiefenwerth name in the box score. Wasn't he a BC commit?
User avatar
shockdoct
Cushing Hall
 
Posts: 2818
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:40 pm
Karma: 297

Re: UMass & NU

Postby garf112 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:00 am

shockdoct wrote:Pulling an IB here, but I recognized the Tiefenwerth name in the box score. Wasn't he a BC commit?


Same guy. Was told he could come to BC and they would honor whatever scholarship offer was made, but he wasn't going to see the ice.
garf112
Carney Hall
 
Posts: 385
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:55 pm
Karma: 43

Re: UMass & NU

Postby claver2010 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:51 am

garf112 wrote:
shockdoct wrote:Pulling an IB here, but I recognized the Tiefenwerth name in the box score. Wasn't he a BC commit?


Same guy. Was told he could come to BC and they would honor whatever scholarship offer was made, but he wasn't going to see the ice.


Correct, they have another former BC commit coming in next year, Frankie Vatrano
User avatar
claver2010
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 13151
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:55 pm
Karma: 1495

Re: UMass & NU

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:33 am

Uh we lost to UMass 5-2. Yuck
User avatar
eepstein0
Lyons Hall
 
Posts: 9125
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:35 pm
Location: Danvers, MA
Karma: 122

Re: UMass & NU

Postby claver2010 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:32 pm

Slightly better tonight
User avatar
claver2010
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 13151
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:55 pm
Karma: 1495

Re: UMass & NU

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:36 pm

claver2010 wrote:Slightly better tonight


1. Matthews is a dump
2. NE would have lost to Colby tonight. BC was dominating
3. We still need to fix the D situation. They're very talented, but seem lost half the time
User avatar
eepstein0
Lyons Hall
 
Posts: 9125
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:35 pm
Location: Danvers, MA
Karma: 122

Re: UMass & NU

Postby claver2010 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:41 pm

eepstein0 wrote:
claver2010 wrote:Slightly better tonight


1. Matthews is a dump
2. NE would have lost to Colby tonight. BC was dominating
3. We still need to fix the D situation. They're very talented, but seem lost half the time


1) Agreed, least favorite road trip in HE
2) Didnt watch, went to Rangers Bs
3) Agreed, Matheson with an upper body injury, no word yet
User avatar
claver2010
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 13151
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:55 pm
Karma: 1495

Re: UMass & NU

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:11 pm

claver2010 wrote:
eepstein0 wrote:
claver2010 wrote:Slightly better tonight


1. Matthews is a dump
2. NE would have lost to Colby tonight. BC was dominating
3. We still need to fix the D situation. They're very talented, but seem lost half the time


1) Agreed, least favorite road trip in HE
2) Didnt watch, went to Rangers Bs
3) Agreed, Matheson with an upper body injury, no word yet


Matheson got blasted into the boards near where I was sitting. He looked fine but didn't play after that
User avatar
eepstein0
Lyons Hall
 
Posts: 9125
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:35 pm
Location: Danvers, MA
Karma: 122

Re: UMass & NU

Postby flyingelvii on Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:35 am

The problem with the D is that they're young. Defense typically takes less skill to play and is more based in instincts and reading plays and whatnot. They just don't have that awareness at this level, so while they have a lot of raw talent it probably won't manifest itself for another year or so. Which is basically why I'm tempering my expectations this year. They'll go as far as the D will take them and I'm a little leery on that end.
flyingelvii
Merkert Hall
 
Posts: 4100
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:28 pm
Karma: 386

Re: UMass & NU

Postby SeaCaptim on Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:45 am

Colin Sullivan looked great last night as I caught the 2nd and 3rd periods only. Jeke is really coming along, although he is still learning. I concur with your assessment of defensemen developing instincts. These Frosh need to play to develop these instincts, and you have to live with some mistakes along the way. Alber's loss was big, but BC will be a better team by March, since they were forced to play these kids earlier in the season. Jeke had a terrific goal on Friday night, and he got off some great shots at NU last night.
SeaCaptim
Carney Hall
 
Posts: 224
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:15 pm
Karma: -31

Re: UMass & NU

Postby claver2010 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:51 pm

flyingelvii wrote:The problem with the D is that they're young. Defense typically takes less skill to play and is more based in instincts and reading plays and whatnot. They just don't have that awareness at this level, so while they have a lot of raw talent it probably won't manifest itself for another year or so. Which is basically why I'm tempering my expectations this year. They'll go as far as the D will take them and I'm a little leery on that end.


Fair assessment. The Alber injury hurts, the benefit of matching a FR with an upperclassman was huge. Dumoulin spoiled us with what he was able to do in his own end as a FR. The benefit of Beanpot, our tough OOC, etc is by the time we hit the NCAA tournament and even the HE tournament they're very well seasoned for FR.
User avatar
claver2010
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 13151
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:55 pm
Karma: 1495

Re: UMass & NU

Postby pick6pedro on Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:18 pm

Was thrilled to be in the house Saturday with better seats than the 'Bater. You've got 4 straight bottom-of-the-barrell teams, so don't rush back Matheson. I agree the team only goes so far as the D takes them, which is why I've been a big proponent of giving them all the minutes they can stand.

Loved that they pinned the haters down and took a huge doosky on the collective blogosphere.
User avatar
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 11427
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:25 pm
Location: A Chalupa Stand
Karma: 2555

Re: UMass & NU

Postby claver2010 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:28 pm

BC Hockey Blog ‏@bchockeyblog1
INJURY UPDATE- Dman Mike Matheson has an upper body injury. He is questionable for Friday's game vs Maine.

I'd be surprised if we hear more before seeing the lineup Friday night
User avatar
claver2010
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 13151
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:55 pm
Karma: 1495


Return to Kelley Rink

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 2 guests

Untitled document