BC Basketball Clinic

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

BC Basketball Clinic

Postby MattTheEagle on Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:11 pm

Anyone know who is there as potential BC prospects? I heard our 2011 class is at the clinic along with several HS prospects. Also it looks like there are a bunch of former Cornell players including Foote at BC which is also pretty awesome. Hopefully it is going as well as it appears, which is definitely encouraging after losing Jones.

From Donahue's twitter it seems like Tyler Roche and Biko Paris are also helping out. This is really cool. I wish Roche could have played for Donahue. It is awesome that he is loyal to the Don despite never getting a chance to play for him.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Re: BC Basketball Clinic

Postby bcmurph on Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:04 am

Via twitter...a trio from Northfield MT Hermon in PA

Anthony Dallier '13, Skyler White '13 and Jeremy Miller '15 will be in Chestnut Hill tomorrow for the #BostonCollege Elite camp. #GoEagles!
"Stay with this young team - there are great days ahead." Coach Donahue tweet 2/19/2012 -
bcmurph
McGuinn Hall

Postby bcmurph on Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:39 am

another tweet...

2013 wing Steve Haney Jr of Lansing Eastern (MI) will attend this weekend's Boston College elite camp

Apparently BC has been recruiting him...

On the schools recruiting him: Some of the newer ones are Boston College, DePaul, Oregon State, Illinois, Harvard, William & Mary, Western Michigan and Detroit. Michigan and Michigan State have been recruiting me longer. At this point, Detroit and Western Michigan have offered

http://www.umhoops.com/2011/06/14/2013-qa-steve-haney-jr-recaps-u-m-visit/
"Stay with this young team - there are great days ahead." Coach Donahue tweet 2/19/2012 -
bcmurph
McGuinn Hall

Postby Brablc on Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:58 am

http://bostoncollege.rivals.com/barrier ... &mid=&rid=

Decent rundown of the camp and the in-coming recruits.

If you can't use the link above, you can access it here: http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/teams/bam
Brablc
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:52 am

This recap is really really encouraging, especially about Clifford, Anderson and Daniels.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:59 am

Some interesting things from the article:

There was nobody in the camp who could really stop Clifford on offense.

Encouraging, hopefully it is more his skill than simply his size

Another player that looked ready for action in the winter was Ryan Anderson, who probably has the most ready-to-play build of any of the freshmen. Anderson is built to be a scorer and got his points both inside and out. It's easy picturing him having a freshman season like Rakim Sanders in 2007-2008, where he will score in double digits most nights and be one of the best scorers on the team.

That's great news if true, I can't remember a BC freshman being more "ready" than Rakim -even though it didn't turn out well & I was one of his biggest critics
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby branchinator on Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:15 pm

I'd say Craig Smith was pretty "ready" as well. It took him a year to get in shape but skill-wise, he was ready to go from Day 1.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:28 pm

branchinator {l Wrote}:I'd say Craig Smith was pretty "ready" as well. It took him a year to get in shape but skill-wise, he was ready to go from Day 1.

Smith had a tremendous freshman year (19.9 ppg, 7.9 rpg, .603 fg%), but he was a freshman with an asterisk. His "readiness" happened somewhat ironically; after committing to BC as a HS senior in LA (where he attracted no interest from the Pac-10), Smith didn't qualify academically, so he did a fifth year at Worcester Academy. In his season at Worcester, he got in much better shape, averaged 20 and 10, and became a far more desirable prospect; BC was actually rather lucky he decided to honor his original commitment.

It should be noted that Clifford is also a fifth-year recruit, having reclassified from 2010 when he transferred to Milton Academy. Right now, it appears that, much like Smith, he's become a much better player over that extra year -- another case of BC benefiting by getting an early commitment from a late bloomer.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby Shaddix on Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:51 pm

RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:
branchinator {l Wrote}:I'd say Craig Smith was pretty "ready" as well. It took him a year to get in shape but skill-wise, he was ready to go from Day 1.

Smith had a tremendous freshman year (19.9 ppg, 7.9 rpg, .603 fg%), but he was a freshman with an asterisk. His "readiness" happened somewhat ironically; after committing to BC as a HS senior in LA (where he attracted no interest from the Pac-10), Smith didn't qualify academically, so he did a fifth year at Worcester Academy. In his season at Worcester, he got in much better shape, averaged 20 and 10, and became a far more desirable prospect; BC was actually rather lucky he decided to honor his original commitment.

It should be noted that Clifford is also a fifth-year recruit, having reclassified from 2010 when he transferred to Milton Academy. Right now, it appears that, much like Smith, he's become a much better player over that extra year -- another case of BC benefiting by getting an early commitment from a late bloomer.

ESPN was in LOVE with Clifford after the game he held his own against Kaleb T. I'm surprised they cooled down on him after that.
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby SouthernComfort on Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:25 pm

Someone who's opinion I trust was at the camp and wrote this little report. I personally think he's being tough on Anderson, but I wasn't there :

"Spent the afternoon at the camp. Ran into several other long time fans there and discussed the action.

In order of who impressed most in this venue here's our brief consensus view:

1. Clifford. How good is he? NBA level player in the future. Legit 7 feet. Maybe not an NBA star but has roster upside "potential" if trajectory holds. Very athletic, hands, ball skills, works hard, lean but not fragile, good hops, touch inside and out. Great get.
2. Lonnie Jackson. Combo guard. Looks like he can play some point as well as natural 2. Really nice stroke. Good court vision. Good handle. Needs strength, but that should come. Great get.
3. Jordon Daniels. 5'7 (estimate). Great handle. Tough minded(gotta be to be this good at this height). Great vision. PG passing instincts. Quick. Will push the ball up the court. Decent shot if he can get it off (if someone is on him-forget the shot-needs space), nice floater in the lane. He'll give us minutes at PG. Reportedly can dunk. Good get.
4. Ryan Anderson. What position is he? He is 6'7. Maybe 6'7.5. Very (very!)flat shot. Low release. Not super athletic. Not super intense. Some handle. Some size. Needs to get in shape. If he plays 4, we're going really small. We all felt he looks like a 3 but not ready for prime time. Hope we are wrong! Big questions.
5. Ryan Kilkullen. 6-6. 3 man. Tough. Cut physique. Looks like he puts time in weight room: in shape and ready to go. Intense. High motor! All the time. Decent mid range jumper. SD type of player. Not sure about upside but he will get minutes this year. Good get.
6. Kyle Caudill. Probably 6'10-11. He could be #4. Maybe more a 5. Clearly: all projections contingent upon him getting in shape. Slow. SLOW. No hop. BUT- there is good news--some real upside here--good hands, decent touch down low, shows a little hook with either hand, space eater. Looks like he wants to get better. A bigger Josh Southern with much better low post and ball skills. Interesting project. Glad we have him.
7. Eddie Odio. 6-6 or so. Has athleticism. Can jump! Not a strong rebounder during these pick up games. Outside player. In warms ups and drills -- shows some upside. Sort of a 2 man and outside 3. Needs lean muscle mass, some weight, intensity, fitness. We shall see.
8. Other invited walk on: can't recall his name. He looks 6'5 or so, plays like Kulkullen (hard nosed) without the strength, shot, skills from what we could tell.

German not there. From some we spoke to yesterday who have seen him the word is: he can play, can shoot, but not a great handle. 2 man.

From our perch as observers today summary view: big question--who plays 4 this year? (or, if Clifford plays 4--who plays 5?). We'll see lots of small this year: We will have some long, long nights and maybe (hopefully) some nice surprises now and then. Over time: If we can surround this class with one or two more big time (and big) ACC players (e.g reggie type skills-but some size needed): it could be special."
SouthernComfort
n00b

Postby NJM89 on Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:27 pm

RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:

I played against Clifford when he was a Freshman at Bridgewater-Rayham. He wasn't really that good at all but he was the tallest on the court about 6'8 at that time. Its nice to see that he has improved a lot since then and grown even taller.
NJM89
Campion Hall

Postby Shaddix on Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:41 pm

SouthernComfort {l Wrote}:Someone who's opinion I trust was at the camp and wrote this little report. I personally think he's being tough on Anderson, but I wasn't there :

"Spent the afternoon at the camp. Ran into several other long time fans there and discussed the action.

In order of who impressed most in this venue here's our brief consensus view:

1. Clifford. How good is he? NBA level player in the future. Legit 7 feet. Maybe not an NBA star but has roster upside "potential" if trajectory holds. Very athletic, hands, ball skills, works hard, lean but not fragile, good hops, touch inside and out. Great get.
2. Lonnie Jackson. Combo guard. Looks like he can play some point as well as natural 2. Really nice stroke. Good court vision. Good handle. Needs strength, but that should come. Great get.
3. Jordon Daniels. 5'7 (estimate). Great handle. Tough minded(gotta be to be this good at this height). Great vision. PG passing instincts. Quick. Will push the ball up the court. Decent shot if he can get it off (if someone is on him-forget the shot-needs space), nice floater in the lane. He'll give us minutes at PG. Reportedly can dunk. Good get.
4. Ryan Anderson. What position is he? He is 6'7. Maybe 6'7.5. Very (very!)flat shot. Low release. Not super athletic. Not super intense. Some handle. Some size. Needs to get in shape. If he plays 4, we're going really small. We all felt he looks like a 3 but not ready for prime time. Hope we are wrong! Big questions.
5. Ryan Kilkullen. 6-6. 3 man. Tough. Cut physique. Looks like he puts time in weight room: in shape and ready to go. Intense. High motor! All the time. Decent mid range jumper. SD type of player. Not sure about upside but he will get minutes this year. Good get.
6. Kyle Caudill. Probably 6'10-11. He could be #4. Maybe more a 5. Clearly: all projections contingent upon him getting in shape. Slow. SLOW. No hop. BUT- there is good news--some real upside here--good hands, decent touch down low, shows a little hook with either hand, space eater. Looks like he wants to get better. A bigger Josh Southern with much better low post and ball skills. Interesting project. Glad we have him.
7. Eddie Odio. 6-6 or so. Has athleticism. Can jump! Not a strong rebounder during these pick up games. Outside player. In warms ups and drills -- shows some upside. Sort of a 2 man and outside 3. Needs lean muscle mass, some weight, intensity, fitness. We shall see.
8. Other invited walk on: can't recall his name. He looks 6'5 or so, plays like Kulkullen (hard nosed) without the strength, shot, skills from what we could tell.

German not there. From some we spoke to yesterday who have seen him the word is: he can play, can shoot, but not a great handle. 2 man.

From our perch as observers today summary view: big question--who plays 4 this year? (or, if Clifford plays 4--who plays 5?). We'll see lots of small this year: We will have some long, long nights and maybe (hopefully) some nice surprises now and then. Over time: If we can surround this class with one or two more big time (and big) ACC players (e.g reggie type skills-but some size needed): it could be special."

Jesus, extremely harsh on Anderson....everyone has been raving about him, even from the rivals camp article I saw. Not sure why the arc of his shot should matter as long as it goes in?

But anyways, I am surprised at Lonnie. I really saw him as our 6th man who can drain shots, but if he can get good looks, maybe he will start? That's a great sign.
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby SouthernComfort on Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:05 pm

As I said, I think he's being harsh on Anderson. That being said, no reports did say he was athletic and flat shot isn't a good thing. However, I think that he's not a style player, but a player who will find his points and that doesn't show in a couple of extremely early scrimmages
SouthernComfort
n00b

Postby joemack13 on Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:23 am

SouthernComfort {l Wrote}:As I said, I think he's being harsh on Anderson. That being said, no reports did say he was athletic and flat shot isn't a good thing. However, I think that he's not a style player, but a player who will find his points and that doesn't show in a couple of extremely early scrimmages

What about reports the you're Josh Southern's love child?
joemack13
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:53 am

Outside of these guys, I'd be astonished if Heckmann and Humphries both weren't starters. Humphries is a 6'5 SG and Heckmann is a 6'7" SF so I actually don't think rebounding is going to get a huge issue. You're probably looking at:

Daniels
Humphrey
Heckmann
Anderson
Clifford
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:07 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:were there any fans there? with reggie gone i'm wondering how the self centered doucher nerds are going to draw attention to themselves this year

(potato, peas, eggplant)

What are you doing over on the basketball board? Stick to posting naked pictures and stuff like that.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby apbc12 on Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:19 am

SouthernComfort {l Wrote}:As I said, I think he's being harsh on Anderson. That being said, no reports did say he was athletic and flat shot isn't a good thing. However, I think that he's not a style player, but a player who will find his points and that doesn't show in a couple of extremely early scrimmages

The write up from your friend basically says "Ryan Anderson: too much like Jared Dudley." I hope he's right.

Thanks for providing it though. Excellent CONTENT!.

P and S no offense but your namesake drink tastes like shit.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:44 am

apbc12 {l Wrote}:

The write up from your friend basically says "Ryan Anderson: too much like Jared Dudley." I hope he's right.

After watching Ryan Anderson on tape, he's nothing like Dudley. Seems like more of an Evan Ravenel/Craig Smith type guy. Undersized but he's not going to be playing on the outside. Anderson is a bit of a tweener between the 3/4 but ultimately I'd imagine he'll end up as a 4.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:59 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}: Seems like more of an Evan Ravenel/Craig Smith type guy.

Hopefully a little more of the latter than the former.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby apbc12 on Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:12 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
apbc12 {l Wrote}:

After watching Ryan Anderson on tape, he's nothing like Dudley. Seems like more of an Evan Ravenel/Craig Smith type guy. Undersized but he's not going to be playing on the outside. Anderson is a bit of a tweener between the 3/4 but ultimately I'd imagine he'll end up as a 4.

Dudley is nothing like Dudley as a freshman. His first 1+ years at BC Dudley made a living on putbacks and jumpers from 10 to 15 feet. He was, whether by team necessity or because that's what his then-current skill level dictated, a slow 3/small 4. I have watched absolutely none of Anderson's tape and am basing the comparison solely on SC's initial post. In any event, if Anderson duplicates Dudley's BC career, I'll develop a man crush on him and end up rooting for whatever NBA team he happens to play for at any given time.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:32 pm

This thread is worth a read, it is hilarious
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Shoreagle on Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:30 am

The Anderson evaluation was pretty spot on.
Shoreagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:31 am

What's even worse is that there's a good chance Ryan Anderson is the starting PF at Arizona this season.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:00 am

harkens back to the time when Clifford was last healthy
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:38 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:harkens back to the time when Clifford was last healthy

do you think he'll get to 100% this year?
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Return to Conte Forum