Gary Williams to Retire

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Gary Williams to Retire

Postby MattTheEagle on Wed May 11, 2011 6:21 pm

Considering their options and inability to get the biggest names, Turgeon seems like a pretty good hire. I would rate it a lot better than most of the recent college bball hires. And it could be really good for the ACC if Turgeon could get Maryland back to national prominence.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed May 11, 2011 6:42 pm

RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Mark Turgeon (sp?) to Maryland officially....meh.
HJS {l Wrote}:Good coach... underwhelming hire. Not dissimilar to the HCRE hire.

Sean Miller, Jamie Dixon or Jay Wright woulda done major damage there.

I think we should wait and see here rather than dismiss Turgeon prematurely. He's raised the caliber of the program everywhere he's been, and the potential of Maryland's program is very high. If he does the same there, they could become a national powerhouse again -- which would give us a third chronic headache to go with Duke and UNC.

Which is exactly what this conference needs. A reputable 3rd team beyond Duke & UNC
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Wed May 11, 2011 8:00 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:Good coach... underwhelming hire. Not dissimilar to the HCRE hire.

I think we should wait and see here rather than dismiss Turgeon prematurely. He's raised the caliber of the program everywhere he's been, and the potential of Maryland's program is very high. If he does the same there, they could become a national powerhouse again -- which would give us a third chronic headache to go with Duke and UNC.

Which is exactly what this conference needs. A reputable 3rd team beyond Duke & UNC

Maryland fans are awful. I hope it's UVA.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Thu May 12, 2011 12:24 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:

I've never quite understood why some people are so down on Maryland fans. I assume they're vulgar and abusive, but how does that differentiate them from umpteen other schools? As for UVA stepping into the gap, don't hold your breath; a national basketball power doesn't suit the image they want to project (the aberration of the Ralph Sampson period notwithstanding).
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu May 12, 2011 7:26 am

RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:

I've never quite understood why some people are so down on Maryland fans. I assume they're vulgar and abusive, but how does that differentiate them from umpteen other schools? As for UVA stepping into the gap, don't hold your breath; a national basketball power doesn't suit the image they want to project (the aberration of the Ralph Sampson period notwithstanding).

Their fans are WVU with a higher IQ. I believe there was a list of worst fans in :flagus going around the Nexus and they were really up there -I'll try to find it.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby cvilleagle on Thu May 12, 2011 7:44 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:

They have the facilities, but not the lax academic standards.

Really, it seems to me that the third power should be Wake - they were for a while - if they just hired a good coach they are clearly capable of bringing in highly-rated talent. Not sure if BZZZZZZ is the one to get it done though.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Previous

Return to Conte Forum