Chad Ford tweets...

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Chad Ford tweets...

Postby b0mberMan on Thu May 05, 2011 12:06 pm

That Reggie is likely pulling out.

He's been driving the "lottery pick" bus for Reggie this whole time, so who knows.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Re: Chad Ford tweets...

Postby BCMcG on Thu May 05, 2011 12:14 pm

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post?id=30582

By all accounts, including ESPN Insider Chad Ford's, Insider Boston College guard Reggie Jackson is still agonizing about his future.

The Eagles star is getting mixed signals from the NBA. Some GMs think he's a lottery pick. Others see a late first or early second-round talent at best. That uncertainty has put Jackson in the precarious position of hoping he can impress the unimpressed by Sunday's draft deadline. To do so, he'll have to play well this weekend in a large workout in New Jersey, where he'll be among the best players, if not the best, in the gym.

With such a short time frame to make his decision -- note to the NCAA: this is where the whole "testing the waters" thing kind of comes in handy -- Jackson's next few days could be make or break.

Thing is, unless his planned workout goes worse than anyone could imagine, Jackson is likely better off remaining in the draft. Frankly, he should probably stay no matter what.

There are two reasons for this. One, as Chad wrote at the link above, is Jackson's likely ability to impress scouts in workouts and the NBA draft combine in the next few months. But arguably the most important reason is the situation Jackson would return to if he decided to come back to school.

That "situation" is the rebuilding Boston College Eagles in their second year under Steve Donahue. Simply put: It's going to be a tough season in BC. The Eagles lost four senior starters from last season's offensively brilliant and defensively inept team: Joe Trapani, Corey Raji, Josh Southern and Biko Paris, all carryovers from the Al Skinner era, will all be gone in 2011-12. (That's also true of senior reserves John Cahill and Cortney Dunn.) What's left is a team that will rely heavily on Oregon transfer Matt Humphrey -- who averaged 5.4 points and 2.5 rebounds in 16.2 minutes per game as a sophomore with the Ducks -- and a deep but unproven group of freshman recruits.

One of those recruits, forward Ryan Anderson, is a top 100 prospect ranked No. 17 at his position in the class of 2011. There are nice players in this mix. In a down ACC, Boston College might not be totally horrible.

Jackson is a fantastic player, one of the best and most efficient offensive players in the country at any position in 2011. Sure, he would make the Eagles better. Yes, he would get a lot of shots. But how much of a boost to his draft stock would that really lend? What if the losses of his longtime teammates cause a decline in performance? What if his team is so bad NBA scouts take notice in a negative way?

No matter how you break it down -- as SCACCHoops did this week -- the returning roster is not one that inspires much confidence in BC's ability to get to the NCAA tournament in 2012. Jackson might be the difference between 10 wins and 15, but that's a lot to ask of a player with a pro future on his doorstep. This team is rebuilding, and it might be better for Jackson if he skipped that process entirely.
BCMcG
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCMcG on Thu May 05, 2011 12:19 pm

Also, Ford's tweet is confusing. I think he's saying that Reggie is "out" of the workout in NJ. Morris made it official yesterday that he's going in the draft and I'm pretty sure Honeycutt is a goner as well.
BCMcG
McGuinn Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu May 05, 2011 12:20 pm

BCMcG {l Wrote}:Also, Ford's tweet is confusing. I think he's saying that Reggie is "out" of college ball. Morris made it official yesterday that he's going in the draft and I'm pretty sure Honeycutt is a goner as well.

I read it as he's "out" of the draft. But...you're right, it's confusing.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby westwoodeagle on Thu May 05, 2011 12:20 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:That Reggie is likely pulling out.

He's been driving the "lottery pick" bus for Reggie this whole time, so who knows.

His tweet is refering to Reggie pulling out of a workout organized by a bunch of the NBA teams. The new early withdrawal deadline means that these kids don't have time to workout for all of the teams that want to see them so they are now pooling resources and doing joint workouts. HE's not referring to him pulling out of the draft.
westwoodeagle
n00b

Postby b0mberMan on Thu May 05, 2011 12:25 pm

westwoodeagle {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:That Reggie is likely pulling out.

His tweet is refering to Reggie pulling out of a workout organized by a bunch of the NBA teams. The new early withdrawal deadline means that these kids don't have time to workout for all of the teams that want to see them so they are now pooling resources and doing joint workouts. HE's not referring to him pulling out of the draft.

D'oh!
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby joemack13 on Thu May 05, 2011 12:54 pm

good catholics don't pull out :pontif
joemack13
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu May 05, 2011 8:19 pm

I still think Jackson goes pro...but it's a pretty risk proposition.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby bcmurph on Sat May 07, 2011 7:06 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:I still think Jackson goes pro...but it's a pretty risk proposition.

This story sounds like he feels the same way...also sounds like he is going to be in Jersey

Today he stands on the precipice of potentially the most important 48 hours of his 21-year existence. As one of the few participants in the New Jersey pre-draft workout considered worthy of a potential first-round pick, Jackson will have his first and only opportunity to perform in front of NBA teams up close on Saturday afternoon. His hand will be forced a little over 24 hours later.

“It's a very difficult decision for a guy like me given that I'm hearing everything from late lottery on down for my range,” Jackson says of the NCAA's draft deadline. “It's hard to get a sense of things when there are no real opportunities to work out for teams to get a feel for where you are. “

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Tes ... z1LfQy2KGC
http://www.draftexpress.com
"Stay with this young team - there are great days ahead." Coach Donahue tweet 2/19/2012 -
bcmurph
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat May 07, 2011 10:19 am

Reggie better be damn sure he's going to be a first round pick otherwise he's making a huge mistake
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby bcmurph on Sat May 07, 2011 12:23 pm

Via twitter Reggie did not go to the workout in NJ

@TheHoopsReport
Ryan Feldman
Boston College's Reggie Jackson is not here. He must've pulled out at the last minute, as many expected.
"Stay with this young team - there are great days ahead." Coach Donahue tweet 2/19/2012 -
bcmurph
McGuinn Hall

Postby bcmurph on Sat May 07, 2011 12:27 pm

another rumor I've seen a couple of times;

Our spies have informed us that Celts exec Danny Ainge is so impressed with BC point guard Reggie Jackson that he’s already guaranteed the Celts will take him with the 25th pick in this year’s draft. Ainge personally was on hand for a number of Jackson’s game, and is a tremendous fan. The problem for the C’s is that Jackson’s stock is soaring and the thoughts from scouts everywhere is that he will be long gone by then meaning that Boston will have to trade up to select him.

“Danny’s already guaranteed him,” a source close to Jackson’s camp told TKB. “He saw a ton of games at BC this year.”

http://www.theknicksblog.com/2011/05/06/source-celts-have-given-guarantee-to-jackson/
bcmurph
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat May 07, 2011 2:15 pm

bcmurph {l Wrote}:another rumor I've seen a couple of times;

Our spies have informed us that Celts exec Danny Ainge is so impressed with BC point guard Reggie Jackson that he’s already guaranteed the Celts will take him with the 25th pick in this year’s draft. Ainge personally was on hand for a number of Jackson’s game, and is a tremendous fan. The problem for the C’s is that Jackson’s stock is soaring and the thoughts from scouts everywhere is that he will be long gone by then meaning that Boston will have to trade up to select him.

“Danny’s already guaranteed him,” a source close to Jackson’s camp told TKB. “He saw a ton of games at BC this year.”

http://www.theknicksblog.com/2011/05/06/source-celts-have-given-guarantee-to-jackson/

The reason I'm not buying this is because if he had a guarantee from the Celts, he wouldn't be waiting until the last second hear to make a decision
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby SJeagle09 on Sat May 07, 2011 4:01 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
bcmurph {l Wrote}:another rumor I've seen a couple of times;

The reason I'm not buying this is because if he had a guarantee from the Celts, he wouldn't be waiting until the last second hear to make a decision

I'm not certain that guarantee is worth anything...
:pontif
SJeagle09
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat May 07, 2011 4:13 pm

He's gotta make a decision by tomorrow one way or another.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby joesim on Sat May 07, 2011 4:37 pm

"Boston College PG Reggie Jackson, who was scheduled to attend, was a no-show and has pulled out of the NBA draft."
http://www.nj.com/college-basketball/in ... draft.html
joesim
McGuinn Hall

Postby MattTheEagle on Sat May 07, 2011 4:52 pm

joesim {l Wrote}:"Boston College PG Reggie Jackson, who was scheduled to attend, was a no-show and has pulled out of the NBA draft."

Wow...I was not expecting that.

I predicting around 13 wins without Reggie and Elmore, but I will likely bump it up to 18 if Reggie does indeed come back. BC could actually be pretty good next year with Reggie. A lot depends on how good Humphrey is and how well the freshman can adjust. I was excited to see Donahue's guys getting brought in and contributing and I think they still will be crucial for us with Reggie. Outside of UNC, there really won't be a team we can't beat especially with so many guys entering the draft. NCAA tournament will not be out of the question with Reggie.

Reggie is going to need his A-game which was lacking against the tougher opponents. If Reggie can lead the eagles to victory next year, it will be a huge boost to his resume.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby 31southst on Sat May 07, 2011 6:02 pm

joesim {l Wrote}:"Boston College PG Reggie Jackson, who was scheduled to attend, was a no-show and has pulled out of the NBA draft."

I'm waiting for further confirmation before I get too excited. I'm worried this might be like the Chad Ford tweet and it's a mix up between pulling out of the workout and pulling out of the draft altogether.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby bcmurph on Sat May 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Another random tweet... @TMichaelCronin

Glad to see Reggie Jackson and Gibbs come back to school for love of college hoops of course but also would be dumb for them to go.
bcmurph
McGuinn Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Sat May 07, 2011 6:16 pm

31southst {l Wrote}:

I'm waiting for further confirmation before I get too excited. I'm worried this might be like the Chad Ford tweet and it's a mix up between pulling out of the workout and pulling out of the draft altogether.
bcmurph {l Wrote}:Another random tweet... @TMichaelCronin

Glad to see Reggie Jackson and Gibbs come back to school for love of college hoops of course but also would be dumb for them to go.

I'm not ready to celebrate either just yet; a couple of one-sentence quotes (one of which is probably based on the other) are pretty shaky documentation. If it's true, I hope some reliable source confirms it soon so I can stop fretting about it. If you think I'm paranoid, check the report from bcaddict on the "Reggie to RETURN!" thread; the situation is still up in the air.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Return to Conte Forum