Lonnie Jackson Q & A

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Lonnie Jackson Q & A

Postby thebigskinny31 on Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:04 pm

Incoming Freshman Lonnie Jackson Q&A
California guard eager to get college career started

April 16, 2011

Lonnie Jackson, a 6-foot-4-inch guard from Valencia, Calif., will join Boston College and Coach Donahue's team this fall. In this Q&A, Jackson gives some insights to his game as he looks forward to arriving on campus on June 23.

Describe your game, your style of play. Can you assess your strengths and areas to work on?
I'm a smart player. I can shoot the ball and I'm really competitive. I really want to win, that's my main goal. I sacrifice for the team. I get after it on defense. At the end of the day, I just really want to win. I'm a really competitive person.

I think my biggest strength is my basketball IQ and my shot. My weakness is probably my strength and I have to work on my point-guard skills and develop more into a 1-2 guard, a combo guard. I need to tighten up my handle and learn how to run a team. In high school, I never really had to run a team because I was just scoring.

What can you tell me about your future BC teammates who are also from California? Have you played with or against any of them?
Kyle (Caudill) and Ryan (Anderson) were both on my (Double Pump) team my sophomore year, and I played with Kyle for my whole AAU career. Ryan is just like me. He wants to be the best. He's not satisfied with mediocrity. He can shoot the ball, he can post up. He's really versatile and I'm glad I can play with him. Kyle is a big guy. He's really smart, he can pass the ball and he has good post moves. I love when he and I are doing a pick-and-roll situation or I'm coming up from one of his pin downs because he knows what I'm going to do. He's always ready for the catch and we can play off each other really well because he understands the game like I do.

BC has had some very good players from California in the last 10 years (Jared Dudley, Sean Marshall, Craig Smith). Did their success influence your decision at all?
It didn't really impact my decision. It just showed me that it's possible to go from coast to coast and get it done. I remember being told that Jared Dudley was just a real fun guy. When he decided he wanted to make it to the next level, he really committed himself, and that's what I really admire about him. He just stuck to it because he wasn't one of the top players, he wasn't ranked high. That's kind of like me. Right now, I feel like I'm underrated. It shows me that it's possible. Right now, we're all on the same level once we go to college, there's no more rankings. We're all on the same platform. That's what I really like about Jared Dudley.

What do you know about Boston College and the city of Boston? Are you looking forward to spending a few years on the East Coast?
Honestly, I didn't know much when the coaches first started calling me. But I know Boston is a great college town. There are so many kids up there and so many colleges. That's what I really like about it. I also just like how the people of Boston have so much love for their sports teams - the Boston Celtics, Boston Red Sox and Patriots. It's a great sports town and I just really liked the feel of it when I was up there.
I know Boston College is a private school, a Jesuit college. I also like how BC is only 9,000 students, not that many people, so you develop relationships with people.

What other interests or hobbies do you have?
I really just hang out with my friends, go see movies, play video games. I don't have any other big hobbies.

Did you get a chance to watch BC on TV this past year? What appealed to you about Coach Donahue's style of play?
I got to watch a lot this year. Every time they were on ESPN I would record it. What appealed to me throughout the season was how, in Coach Donahue's style, they got up and down in their offense and how they let the guys play. Coach Donahue didn't always take them out. He just lets you play basketball. I also like how the offense allows you to make decisions on the court. And, probably the best thing, he really lets you shoot the ball. They were among the top schools in threes attempted, so that's what I really like about the system.

Who have been the biggest influences on your game, on your development?
My dad (Lance) has been my biggest influence. He's really taught me about the game and helped me with my shot, and my shot is the best asset to my game. He comes to the gym with me still to this day and works out with me. I also work out with Mike Penberthy. He was on the Los Angeles Lakers and he also played overseas. I also work out with (former Phoenix Suns guard) Rod Foster. It's a good mixture of people to work out with and they help me develop my game.
thebigskinny31
Carney Hall

Re: Lonnie Jackson Q & A

Postby footer20 on Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:38 pm

thebigskinny31 {l Wrote}:Incoming Freshman Lonnie Jackson Q&A

April 16, 2011

Lonnie Jackson, a 6-foot-4-inch guard from Valencia, Calif., will join Boston College and Coach Donahue's team this fall. In this Q&A, Jackson gives some insights to his game as he looks forward to arriving on campus on June 23.

Describe your game, your style of play. Can you assess your strengths and areas to work on?
I'm a smart player. I can shoot the ball and I'm really competitive. I really want to win, that's my main goal. I sacrifice for the team. I get after it on defense. At the end of the day, I just really want to win. I'm a really competitive person.

I think my biggest strength is my basketball IQ and my shot. My weakness is probably my strength and I have to work on my point-guard skills and develop more into a 1-2 guard, a combo guard. I need to tighten up my handle and learn how to run a team. In high school, I never really had to run a team because I was just scoring.

What can you tell me about your future BC teammates who are also from California? Have you played with or against any of them?
Kyle (Caudill) and Ryan (Anderson) were both on my (Double Pump) team my sophomore year, and I played with Kyle for my whole AAU career. Ryan is just like me. He wants to be the best. He's not satisfied with mediocrity. He can shoot the ball, he can post up. He's really versatile and I'm glad I can play with him. Kyle is a big guy. He's really smart, he can pass the ball and he has good post moves. I love when he and I are doing a pick-and-roll situation or I'm coming up from one of his pin downs because he knows what I'm going to do. He's always ready for the catch and we can play off each other really well because he understands the game like I do.

BC has had some very good players from California in the last 10 years (Jared Dudley, Sean Marshall, Craig Smith). Did their success influence your decision at all?
It didn't really impact my decision. It just showed me that it's possible to go from coast to coast and get it done. I remember being told that Jared Dudley was just a real fun guy. When he decided he wanted to make it to the next level, he really committed himself, and that's what I really admire about him. He just stuck to it because he wasn't one of the top players, he wasn't ranked high. That's kind of like me. Right now, I feel like I'm underrated. It shows me that it's possible. Right now, we're all on the same level once we go to college, there's no more rankings. We're all on the same platform. That's what I really like about Jared Dudley.

What do you know about Boston College and the city of Boston? Are you looking forward to spending a few years on the East Coast?
Honestly, I didn't know much when the coaches first started calling me. But I know Boston is a great college town. There are so many kids up there and so many colleges. That's what I really like about it. I also just like how the people of Boston have so much love for their sports teams - the Boston Celtics, Boston Red Sox and Patriots. It's a great sports town and I just really liked the feel of it when I was up there.
I know Boston College is a private school, a Jesuit college. I also like how BC is only 9,000 students, not that many people, so you develop relationships with people.

I really just hang out with my friends, go see movies, play video games. I don't have any other big hobbies.

Did you get a chance to watch BC on TV this past year? What appealed to you about Coach Donahue's style of play?
I got to watch a lot this year. Every time they were on ESPN I would record it. What appealed to me throughout the season was how, in Coach Donahue's style, they got up and down in their offense and how they let the guys play. Coach Donahue didn't always take them out. He just lets you play basketball. I also like how the offense allows you to make decisions on the court. And, probably the best thing, he really lets you shoot the ball. They were among the top schools in threes attempted, so that's what I really like about the system.

My dad (Lance) has been my biggest influence. He's really taught me about the game and helped me with my shot, and my shot is the best asset to my game. He comes to the gym with me still to this day and works out with me. I also work out with Mike Penberthy. He was on the Los Angeles Lakers and he also played overseas. I also work out with (former Phoenix Suns guard) Rod Foster. It's a good mixture of people to work out with and they help me develop my game.

Sounds like a good kid but Lonnie, Boston is far from a college town. We have MANY colleges but Conte, or any other Massachusetts college, is not full when the ball is thrown in the air. Its far from it. You will find some devoted fans but if youre looking for a Red Sox / Celtics like atmosphere, you and your boys from cali need to win some big games.
footer20
McGuinn Hall

Postby bcmurph on Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:48 pm

"Ryan is just like me. He wants to be the best. He's not satisfied with mediocrity"

Sweet...
"Stay with this young team - there are great days ahead." Coach Donahue tweet 2/19/2012 -
bcmurph
McGuinn Hall

Postby Eagledom on Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:09 pm

footer20 {l Wrote}:

April 16, 2011

Sounds like a good kid but Lonnie, Boston is far from a college town. We have MANY colleges but Conte, or any other Massachusetts college, is not full when the ball is thrown in the air. Its far from it. You will find some devoted fans but if youre looking for a Red Sox / Celtics like atmosphere, you and your boys from cali need to win some big games.

Attendance at Conte determines whether Boston is a college town?
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby footer20 on Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:51 am

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
footer20 {l Wrote}:

April 16, 2011

Attendance at Conte determines whether Boston is a college town?

No, if a team is winning, they might be followed, but usually die hard fans are those that are alumni at their school. If the Red Sox win, Celtics win, Bruins lose, and BC has a spring game, Bc is going to have a quarter of a page in the paper. Boston is a sports town right now, it could cahnge if Donahue wins and we can recruit out of Tilton, St. Marks, and maybe lawrence.
footer20
McGuinn Hall

Postby StayBlessed on Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:49 pm

I think when he Lonnie said, " good college town" I think he's referring to all the good academic schools in the Boston area in general.
StayBlessed
Carney Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:48 pm

Boston is the #1 college town in the U. S., but it's not a college SPORTS town. Pro sports have dominated Boston for most of the last century, and that shows no sign of changing in the foreseeable future (which, of course, creates a major misfit between BC and the ACC).
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby AdamBC on Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:30 pm

RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:(which, of course, creates a major misfit between BC and the ACC).

Like GT and Atlanta pro sports or UMD and Baltimore pro sports or Miami? A third of the ACC is in the same situation.
AdamBC
Cushing Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:12 pm

AdamBC {l Wrote}:
RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:(which, of course, creates a major misfit between BC and the ACC).

Like GT and Atlanta pro sports or UMD and Baltimore pro sports or Miami? A third of the ACC is in the same situation.

I don't think it is the same situation. In Georgia and Florida, college sports are far more a part of public consciousness than in Massachusetts; in Atlanta and Miami, pro sports are well established but don't take up 98% of the sports fans' mental landscape the way they do in Boston. Even UMaryland (which is actually closer to DC than to Baltimore and thus has to compete with two pro sports cities) is better off in that respect; I know from first-hand observation that UMD gets FAR better coverage in the Washington Post than BC gets in the Boston Globe.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby MattTheEagle on Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:45 pm

The quote was "it's a great college town" and yes Boston is without a doubt a college town. Huge concentration of colleges and universities, which I found to be a very appealing aspect of BC while still being located just outside the city.

The other part was "it's a sports town" which is true as well with patriots, sox, bruins, and celtics. It isn't a college sports town, but still around Boston you will see bars have BC memorabilia or name items after BC or Flutie or something like that.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby Mitch on Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:33 am

If BC basketball becomes a perennial contender in the ACC and in the NCAAs, Boston sports fans will jump all over the bandwagon to support the Eagles. If BC becomes a perennial rivall of Duke and North Carolina those games in particular will be two of the hottest tickets in town.

As said in Field of Dreams, "If you build it, they will come."

I believe that in Steve Donohue we finally have an aggressive head coach and exciting style of play that will attract the local players and some of the nation's top recruits...and I've always felt that given a choice of a top-notch program, Boston would be far more attractive to a recruit than Storrs, CT, for example.
Mitch
n00b

Postby StayBlessed on Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:05 pm

I live in Atlanta...the problem over here is that most people are not from Atlanta (like me). Everyone pulls for their own pro team (like me). College football dominates the scene in Georgia. College basketball is just college basketball...in other words fans in Atlanta are warm weather fans!
StayBlessed
Carney Hall

Return to Conte Forum