BC-Northwestern...

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: BC-Northwestern...

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:31 pm

Dirtywater {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Dirtywater {l Wrote}:Pathetic and putrid. I have never seen a BC team fold so easily as this team. Talent not there folks. We need a fucking miracle here.

I love this one. The minute the team (and Reggie) plays like shit, "the talent is not there." Like clockwork.

The minute the team? There weren't minutes this year when this team played like shit - there were hours upon hours with some minutes of very good play. The fact that this team should have done better because of your belief in their inherent physical talent (but failed because they were psychologically fragile to defensive pressure or some other reason) is irrelevant. The only "clockwork" here was this team's ability to roll it up and fold in important games.

Yeah, you really don't win as many games as they did with hours upon hours of shit with some minutes of good play. This team was very inconsistent, didn't show for some games, and had bad stretches in others. But they played very well an awful lot. That's not a sign of a team with a lack of talent.

Truth is that BC is a decent, borderline bubble team talent wise. Most of the time they played that way. I attribute the bad games/stretches to what was going on between the ears, frankly, and I am not sure that there is much the Don could have done about that.

I thought the Don did a good job getting guys that don't fit his system to fit his system. There were times this season when that square peg/round hole problem made things look awful. But I can live with that, overall it was a decent season, with a couple of WTF losses that prevented it from being a very good season exceeding my expectations.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby bcnyceagle on Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:37 pm

So does this mean Reggie's already made up his mind to go to the NBA with the way he played today?
bcnyceagle
Cushing Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:29 pm

I don't think it's fair to dump on all of the seniors. I think Trapani, Paris and Southern give at least good effort. In Trapani's case, great effort. Raji, eh, and Dunn is a non-factor. In my opinion, the problem with the team is Reggie. When he doesn't try what are the other four players supposed to do? There was one point in the game where I honestly felt he intentionally turned the ball over. He was dribbling around mid court and just kind of threw the ball at the Northwestern player's legs. Most likely it was not intentional, but his lack of overall effort was definitely intentional. Disgusting. It was sad to be at Conte today. And there were lots of Northwestern fans and they were fired up, however.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Dirtywater on Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:26 pm

I bet there is a ton we don't understand about Reggie. The kid sounds way too serious - like a military brat who is afraid to let anyone down. And when the pressure comes or stuff isn't working out - he freezes up - like the world is on his shoulders. This kid would be completely lost in the pros at this stage. Lets hope another year of maturation in the program under Don pays dividends for him and he learns to play hard and relax at the same time. Some kids are just too young at this stage to assume the spotlight.
Dirtywater
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:28 pm

Shredder {l Wrote}:Declaring for the draft wouldn't be a wise move for Reggie with the impending lockout, but it probably would be better for BC. It frees up another scholarship (although it probably shouldn't be used until after next year anyway) but also allows the Don to start this new class in his system rather than build the team around Reggie. I hope he comes back so he can help BC and also wind up with a better pro career than if he leaves now. But if he's set on leaving, I won't be too upset either.

Don needs to sit Reggie down and have a heart to lollygagger talk.

Tell him what he expects this summer, workouts, leadership, defense, practice in the fall and next year.... and make sure there is no room for Reggie to pull this shit next year, ------or just tell him he will be riding the bench if he disagrees or fails to follow the new rules.

Make it public too, so we get no race cards or Sharpton moments.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby angrychicken on Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:16 pm

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:
Make it public too, so we get no race cards or Sharpton moments.

That should work out well. :roll:
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby BC923 on Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:38 am

DallasEire {l Wrote}:BC is a dumb team. I think the overall consideration on this senior class is that they have a pathetic basketball IQ collectively. They get their balls kicked in by Ivy League type teams because they are not smart enough to compete.

true
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby BC923 on Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:41 am

EagleDave {l Wrote}:Pathetic, yet fitting end for the seniors on the team. Good riddance.

I shudder to think of how bad they'd be without him next year, but I think Reggie needs to go too. There were times today where I was sure he was either hung over or still drunk. I don't think I want him hanging around the incoming freshman for next season and poisoning them with his piss poor effort. It's not like they'll make the tournament anyway. In fact there's recent precedent to establish that not only will they not make the tournament, they'll be lucky to finish .500 (see: Tyrese's junior year). If Reggie has even an inkling to go to the NBA, he should do it, and Stevie D. ought to pack his bags for him.

Donahue also gets some of the blame for this one. Does anyone remember the Yale game where he said he'd no longer tolerate those types of efforts? 35 minutes for Reggie today, indicates that he was more than willing to put up with it on the off chance he sobered up long enough to stop turning the ball over.

I'm glad that this era of BC basketball has mercifully come to an end. Now we'll find out what the Don is really made of, and hopefully we'll get back to actually being able to watch these teams and liking the players...

Who should he put in? Moton is shit and that only hurts the team, Biko had fouls, Cahill can't run the point. In a perfect world Reggie should have been benched, but we really had no one behind him to bring in.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby BC923 on Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:45 am

Tyrese Rice giving up in teh USC game really seems to have rubbed off on Reggie. The other players aren't quite good enough to win if Reggie doesn't decide to show up and that is what happened today. the other problem is that this team looks like they are used to losing, and there isn't a sense of urgency.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:32 am

BC923 {l Wrote}:Tyrese Rice giving up in teh USC game really seems to have rubbed off on Reggie. The other players aren't quite good enough to win if Reggie doesn't decide to show up and that is what happened today. the other problem is that this team looks like they are used to losing, and there isn't a sense of urgency.

Tyrese Rice was possibly my favorite player all-time at BC, but what he did in that USC game was disgusting.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby footer20 on Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:13 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:Tyrese Rice giving up in teh USC game really seems to have rubbed off on Reggie. The other players aren't quite good enough to win if Reggie doesn't decide to show up and that is what happened today. the other problem is that this team looks like they are used to losing, and there isn't a sense of urgency.

Tyrese Rice was possibly my favorite player all-time at BC, but what he did in that USC game was disgusting.

Tyrese was a dog in ONE big game which was definitely more important than this NIT shit show but compare the two against the big guns of the ACC

Against Carolina, Tyrese lit them up for 30 something in the first half of a loss but also ran the show in a huge win. Tyrese was also a big part of the close Doook wins, and carried the team in the win at Conte down the stretch.

Look at Reggie against the two. he played very well as a frosh against the two but as the star, hes shooting 30% and is averaging 10 apiece. Its hard to hit last second shots, as Reggie attempted in the NC game, and it almost went down, but Tyrese was always great at creating a good shot....and more than anything Tyrese had the swagger that the team was going to win or lose on his shoulders and when he became determined to take over, he might have been the hardest 6'0" cover in all of the NCAAs
footer20
McGuinn Hall

Postby BC923 on Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:29 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Tyrese Rice is also one of my all time favorites but that game was probably Reggie's lasting impression of him.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby EagleDave on Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:40 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:
EagleDave {l Wrote}:Pathetic, yet fitting end for the seniors on the team. Good riddance.

I shudder to think of how bad they'd be without him next year, but I think Reggie needs to go too. There were times today where I was sure he was either hung over or still drunk. I don't think I want him hanging around the incoming freshman for next season and poisoning them with his piss poor effort. It's not like they'll make the tournament anyway. In fact there's recent precedent to establish that not only will they not make the tournament, they'll be lucky to finish .500 (see: Tyrese's junior year). If Reggie has even an inkling to go to the NBA, he should do it, and Stevie D. ought to pack his bags for him.

Donahue also gets some of the blame for this one. Does anyone remember the Yale game where he said he'd no longer tolerate those types of efforts? 35 minutes for Reggie today, indicates that he was more than willing to put up with it on the off chance he sobered up long enough to stop turning the ball over.

I'm glad that this era of BC basketball has mercifully come to an end. Now we'll find out what the Don is really made of, and hopefully we'll get back to actually being able to watch these teams and liking the players...

Who should he put in? Moton is shit and that only hurts the team, Biko had fouls, Cahill can't run the point. In a perfect world Reggie should have been benched, but we really had no one behind him to bring in.

In a 25 point game with 5-10 minutes left it doesn't matter...you're not winning, so use the opportunity to teach.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:46 pm

Season is now over.

Turn the page.

See the Mitch post.

Have fun.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Previous

Return to Conte Forum