OT: Running Rebels documentary

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

OT: Running Rebels documentary

Postby DallasEire on Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:39 pm

Anyone seen this on HBO ? I know there is one on the Fab Five also and i've yet to see that one but undoubtedly it suffers from the same revisionist embracing of the sport's worst traits as some form of an evolutionary transformation.

Why do all of these documentaries suffer from the same pool of "intellectual" professors deeply studied in some manufactured discipline of idiocy ? But we know they are smart because they wear dark rimmed glasses and are employed at Cal Berkeley

And of course, they are here to inform us that our dislike of collegiate players that are an intellectual offense to the clinically retarded is some form of disguised racism. Nevermind the clips of three to four players clearly 35 yrs old ( moses scurry or larry johnson ) getting into fist fights on the court it is the use of the loaded term "thugs" to describe the actions of the moronic thugs that is really offensive.

The reluctance to embrace the finer points of the jump stop, perpetual carry, circle dance of hallway enthusiasm, irrational arrogance, the tattoo, and the clearly unqualified intelligence levels are also just signs of our inner George Wallace... and clearly the game has changed for the better
DallasEire
n00b

Re: OT: Running Rebels documentary

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:03 pm

What's wrong with the jump stop?
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DallasEire on Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:16 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:What's wrong with the jump stop?

Not too much other than that it used to be cosidered up and down and players use it to propel themselves an extra 17 feet.... Or just one dribble from the three point lane into the lane without the actual skill of executing a pass or common dribble move
DallasEire
n00b

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:29 pm

DallasEire {l Wrote}:

Not too much other than that it used to be cosidered up and down and players use it to propel themselves an extra 17 feet.... Or just one dribble from the three point lane into the lane without the actual skill of executing a pass or common dribble move

Jump stop was legal in high school when I played in the late 80s. Maybe it has been extended too far, but it really isn't a violation. Pick up dribble, land on one foot, then both feet, you can't pivot but you can pick up one or both feet so long as the feet don't retouch prior to a shot or pass. As far as I know that has always been the rule.

It's pretty much a fundamental triple-threat move that has always been in the game.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DallasEire on Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:39 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DallasEire {l Wrote}:

Jump stop was legal in high school when I played in the late 80s. Maybe it has been extended too far, but it really isn't a violation. Pick up dribble, land on one foot, then both feet, you can't pivot but you can pick up one or both feet so long as the feet don't retouch prior to a shot or pass. As far as I know that has always been the rule.

It's pretty much a fundamental triple-threat move that has always been in the game.

I agree with the concept as it was defined but it has been extended beyond rationale like the period of time where you could extend the parameters of the court by simply jumping in the air and calling timeout before landing out of bounds
DallasEire
n00b

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:08 am

I have not watched either of the documentaries, but I do find it interesting that cheaters are being glorified. Then again, Jalen Rose was the executive producer of the Fab Five piece, so what else should we expect?
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby apbc12 on Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:38 am

DallasEire {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DallasEire {l Wrote}:

I agree with the concept as it was defined but it has been extended beyond rationale like the period of time where you could extend the parameters of the court by simply jumping in the air and calling timeout before landing out of bounds

The jump stop and the leaping timeout offend you? Are you Norman Dale?
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Return to Conte Forum