All-Time BC Suck Team

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: All-Time BC Suck Team

Postby bignick33 on Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:06 pm

I never knew Paul Hewitt was born in Jamaica.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:28 pm

branchinator {l Wrote}:Yes, I'm sure Hewitt would gladly trade in his NCAA Championship Game appearance for all of Skinners' Round of 32 trophies. As for players, Hewitt recruited the following players:

The tremendous two is such an arbitrary line!!11!1! Just because they put some made for tv title for it doesn't mean anything!!
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BCFAN94 on Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:09 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:I think it's fair game. They were former players who are now long gone and are adults some are even pro (and I use the term lightly) players other's are probably in jail.

C Nate Doornekamp (team Canada)
F Andrew Bryant (known pistol whippee, UConn coed assaulter)
G Sydney (smoking a good career away)
F The counterfeiter
G Jerome Watson (his play was good but the thugs chasing him out of the second floor window of his apartment story puts him on the list)

Figures you'd jump in, fucking loser. Oh and it was Jermain Watson, you assface.

My apologies to Jermaine for not remembering his first name. Did I get the story correct?
BCFAN94
Campion Hall

Postby bcsouth on Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:27 pm

you guys are missing another unheralded transfer who actually went on to an NBA career. I will give you a hint he played in the 94 BC/UNC game, threw up an airball from 4 feet, fouled Montross softly that allowed him a three point play attempt and then was sent back to the bench. At the end of the year, he said something very bad about his roommate, as legend has it, transferred to a big ten school. didnt think he did much there, and ended up somehow being drafted by the NBA, where I beleive he may have played a few games. and the answer is.....

Paul Grant.

also bouns question: How did the kid do who I believe was from winchester, Keefe, who transferred from out west to Bc and then transferred again to I believe UNLV, ? Any career?

There was also one other kid I was always interested in, not a transfer but a local kid who I never recall hearing about, PAt Bradley who played at Arkansas and had a very good career. How did he end up at Arkansas?
bcsouth
n00b

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:30 pm

branchinator {l Wrote}:Yes, I'm sure Hewitt would gladly trade in his NCAA Championship Game appearance for all of Skinners' Round of 32 trophies. As for players, Hewitt recruited the following players:

Chris Bosh
Jarrett Jack
Will Bynum
Anthony Morrow
Thaddeus Young
Javaris Crittenton
Gani Lawal
Derrick Favors

A who's who of overrated shit right there.

As far as the 2nd place award goes, I suppose that one year makes up for 72–104 in the ACC and a very Skinner like record in the tourney (when he bothers to get there).
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:31 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:

The tremendous two is such an arbitrary line!!11!1! Just because they put some made for tv title for it doesn't mean anything!!

No, it is awesome that they made it to the loser's trophy. Doesn't make up for the rest of his career, which peaked at Al's average.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:37 pm

GlorytoBC {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:I think it's fair game. They were former players who are now long gone and are adults some are even pro (and I use the term lightly) players other's are probably in jail.

C Nate Doornekamp (team Canada)
F Andrew Bryant (known pistol whippee, UConn coed assaulter)
G Sydney (smoking a good career away)
F The counterfeiter
G Jerome Watson (his play was good but the thugs chasing him out of the second floor window of his apartment story puts him on the list)

Figures you'd jump in, fucking loser. Oh and it was Jermain Watson, you assface.

Can you confirm or deny your husband will be interviewing at GT or NCST? Even he'd be an upgrade on Hewitt or Lowe.

Paul Hewitt must've stole your GF or something, because Al Skinner would not be an upgrade over him. Hewitt isn't a good coach, but at least he could recruit. Skinner is inept at both.

Let's be fair. They all suck a lot, but I'd rather have Al than those other two coaches.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby branchinator on Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:48 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Chris Bosh
Jarrett Jack
Will Bynum
Anthony Morrow
Thaddeus Young
Javaris Crittenton
Gani Lawal
Derrick Favors

As far as the 2nd place award goes, I suppose that one year makes up for 72–104 in the ACC and a very Skinner like record in the tourney (when he bothers to get there).

The NBA impact of the Georgia Tech list far exceeds Dudley, Smith, Williams, and Bell. It's not even close. As for the NCAA resumes, Skinner was far more consistent, which earns him points, but his teams always choked when it mattered most. It's incredibly difficult to do what Hewitt did in 2003-2004. I guess it's a matter of preference. I'd be willing to go through some bad seasons for a Final Four run. Hewitt's biggest problem was that he didn't build on his deep run. There's no excuse to go from NCAA runner up to doormat.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:53 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
bcsouth {l Wrote}:you guys are missing another unheralded transfer who actually went on to an NBA career. I will give you a hint he played in the 94 BC/UNC game, threw up an airball from 4 feet, fouled Montross softly that allowed him a three point play attempt and then was sent back to the bench. At the end of the year, he said something very bad about his roommate, as legend has it, transferred to a big ten school. didnt think he did much there, and ended up somehow being drafted by the NBA, where I beleive he may have played a few games. and the answer is.....

Paul Grant.

also bouns question: How did the kid do who I believe was from winchester, Keefe, who transferred from out west to Bc and then transferred again to I believe UNLV, ? Any career?

There was also one other kid I was always interested in, not a transfer but a local kid who I never recall hearing about, PAt Bradley who played at Arkansas and had a very good career. How did he end up at Arkansas?

good ol ice hands. he and chris huang shared a snow cone once

what did he say about his roomate?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:59 pm

branchinator {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Chris Bosh
Jarrett Jack
Will Bynum
Anthony Morrow
Thaddeus Young
Javaris Crittenton
Gani Lawal
Derrick Favors

The NBA impact of the Georgia Tech list far exceeds Dudley, Smith, Williams, and Bell. It's not even close. As for the NCAA resumes, Skinner was far more consistent, which earns him points, but his teams always choked when it mattered most. It's incredibly difficult to do what Hewitt did in 2003-2004. I guess it's a matter of preference. I'd be willing to go through some bad seasons for a Final Four run. Hewitt's biggest problem was that he didn't build on his deep run. There's no excuse to go from NCAA runner up to doormat.

Not sure how you account for one and done guys here as I imagine it wasn't a Skinner decision or inability that is the reason you're never going to see a one and done player at BC. Bosh, Thad Young, Favors, and whoever, would never go to BC because they had no intention of going to school for one year. I'm not sure who or what is the reason for that exactly, but it would seem to make a straight up comparison of recruiting invalid.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:12 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
branchinator {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Chris Bosh
Jarrett Jack
Will Bynum
Anthony Morrow
Thaddeus Young
Javaris Crittenton
Gani Lawal
Derrick Favors

Not sure how you account for one and done guys here as I imagine it wasn't a Skinner decision or inability that is the reason you're never going to see a one and done player at BC. Bosh, Thad Young, Favors, and whoever, would never go to BC because they had no intention of going to school for one year. I'm not sure who or what is the reason for that exactly, but it would seem to make a straight up comparison of recruiting invalid.

Not to mention that other than Bosh and Favors, those guys suck. And, by the way, I could give a crap what they do in the NBA. The BC guys were all better college ballers than anyone on that list, including Bosh.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:20 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
branchinator {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Chris Bosh
Jarrett Jack
Will Bynum
Anthony Morrow
Thaddeus Young
Javaris Crittenton
Gani Lawal
Derrick Favors

Not to mention that other than Bosh and Favors, those guys suck. And, by the way, I could give a crap what they do in the NBA. The BC guys were all better college ballers than anyone on that list, including Bosh.

I'll give you Smith and Dudley and Bell. I'd far rather have Bosh than :seanwilliams
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby branchinator on Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:47 pm

You're right, they did suck, which is why BC beat them in the tournament in 2004.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:54 pm

branchinator {l Wrote}:You're right, they did suck, which is why BC beat them in the tournament in 2004.

This is totally dispositive of the argument. Good point.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby branchinator on Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:01 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
branchinator {l Wrote}:You're right, they did suck, which is why BC beat them in the tournament in 2004.

My point was that Georgia Tech had as much talent as BC during Hewitt's tenure. And you've done nothing to disprove that, which isn't surprising since you know jack shit about the NBA.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:04 pm

branchinator {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

My point was that Georgia Tech had as much talent as BC during Hewitt's tenure. And you've done nothing to disprove that, which isn't surprising since you know jack shit about the NBA.

If they had as much talent but weren't anywhere near as good, why do you prefer Hewitt, which is my point, and you have done nothing to disprove that, which isn't surprising since you know jack shit about winning.

Oh, and when did GT and BC join the NBA?
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:06 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
bcsouth {l Wrote}:you guys are missing another unheralded transfer who actually went on to an NBA career. I will give you a hint he played in the 94 BC/UNC game, threw up an airball from 4 feet, fouled Montross softly that allowed him a three point play attempt and then was sent back to the bench. At the end of the year, he said something very bad about his roommate, as legend has it, transferred to a big ten school. didnt think he did much there, and ended up somehow being drafted by the NBA, where I beleive he may have played a few games. and the answer is.....

Paul Grant.

good ol ice hands. he and chris huang shared a snow cone once

what did he say about his roomate?

Bonus question: what football player stole his girlfriend then dumped her a few weeks later?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby branchinator on Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:12 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
branchinator {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

If they had as much talent but weren't anywhere near as good, why do you prefer Hewitt, which is my point, and you have done nothing to disprove that, which isn't surprising since you know jack shit about winning.

When did I say that I preferred Hewitt? That's right, I didn't. I was merely responding to your post indicating that Hewitt would like to have Skinner's talent/record. Regular season record? Sure, there are plenty of coaches who'd kill to have Al's records in 2000-2007. But regular season doesn't mean squat in college basketball. Nobody remembers who won the regular season conference titles. And the NBA point is relevant because you don't make the NBA if you don't have talent.

But, please, keep on making points based on your uninformed opinions, loser.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:54 pm

branchinator {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
branchinator {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

When did I say that I preferred Hewitt? That's right, I didn't. I was merely responding to your post indicating that Hewitt would like to have Skinner's talent/record. Regular season record? Sure, there are plenty of coaches who'd kill to have Al's records in 2000-2007. But regular season doesn't mean squat in college basketball. Nobody remembers who won the regular season conference titles. And the NBA point is relevant because you don't make the NBA if you don't have talent.

But, please, keep on making points based on your uninformed opinions, loser.

Wait, let's recap. (1) You'd prefer a one-season college wonder who has a mediocre campaign and goes to the NBA because he is really tall and can jump really high, to a guy that stays four years, scores 2000 points, and wins; (2) making the NBA is your measuring stick of recruiting and college talent; (3) your brilliance about the NBA means you cannot be questioned about whether college coaches bring in good players; (4) nobody remembers that BC won the BE tourney in 2001; (5) making the finals and losing is teh awesome; (6) opinions are bad; (7) your opinion is fact, so it is not bad; (8) you take things way too seriously. Oh, and (9) BC has no players in the NBA; (10) Gani Lawal of the Iowa Energy is fucking awesome.

Okay, got it.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby branchinator on Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:08 pm

1) No, I wouldn't. Again, this is a discussion on the "talent" that each coach brought in. Please stay focused.

2) It's a good indication of the level of talent brought in to the program, yes. If these players were brought in and played for such a shitty coach, then they must have had some natural talent, no?

3) I don't like arguments that do not have any factual basis, which unfortunately is about 99.9% of the arguments you make on this board.

4) College basketball is all about what you do in the Big Dance.

5) Yes, let's completely discount this achievement by Hewitt. Making the finals and losing to a team with multiple future NBA draft picks is so embarrassing.

6) Uninformed ones like yours are, yes.

7) Never said it was. But at least I actually present real data to support it.

8) Probably.

9) Never said that. But if you want to go that route, Hewitt's has more former players in the NBA and they're making more of an impact.

10) Wait, so now it's ok to mention someone's professional career? I thought we were discussing their college performance!
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:17 pm

branchinator {l Wrote}:1) No, I wouldn't. Again, this is a discussion on the "talent" that each coach brought in. Please stay focused.

2) It's a good indication of the level of talent brought in to the program, yes. If these players were brought in and played for such a shitty coach, then they must have had some natural talent, no?

3) I don't like arguments that do not have any factual basis, which unfortunately is about 99.9% of the arguments you make on this board.

4) College basketball is all about what you do in the Big Dance.

5) Yes, let's completely discount this achievement by Hewitt. Making the finals and losing to a team with multiple future NBA draft picks is so embarrassing.

6) Uninformed ones like yours are, yes.

7) Never said it was. But at least I actually present real data to support it.

8) Probably.

9) Never said that. But if you want to go that route, Hewitt's has more former players in the NBA and they're making more of an impact.

10) Wait, so now it's ok to mention someone's professional career? I thought we were discussing their college performance!

"Paul Hewitt must've stole your GF or something, because Al Skinner would not be an upgrade over him. Hewitt isn't a good coach, but at least he could recruit. Skinner is inept at both."

That is the comment that started the discussion. You didn't make it, but it is what this whole discussion is about.

And I think your attempt to quantify whether someone is more "talented" by checking to see if they later became the backup PG for the Pistons instead of the 6th man for the Suns is funny. Your opinion that Hewitt is a better recruiter for college is based on the "fact" that after one mediocre season in which his team finished at the bottom of the conference, Derrick Favors left to become a decent NBA player. My opinion is based on fact too - instead of leaving to go to the NBA, Craig Smith and Jared Dudley stayed for four years (a fact), scored over 2000 points (also a fact) and consistently made BC a much better team than GT (probably an opinion, but I am too lazy to look up the records for their four years). So who again is the better recruiter?

Glad we have the Don, it's going to work out for the best, but Paul Hewitt is a fucking clown on all fronts, and anyone that would prefer him over Skinner either would trade eternal suckitude for one magial run to lose the NCAAs or has completely forgotten what Skinner did for the program.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby branchinator on Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:29 pm

"Paul Hewitt would give a nut for Al Skinners record or former player list."

And that was the post that I actually responded to. To the first part, sure, Hewitt would have killed to have Skinner's regular season record. Not many coaches wouldn't. But the players? They both had considerable talent during their tenures. Hewitt's talent was just more transient. If you want to give Skinner a decided advantage in something, it's the development of players.

As for Hewitt's "one magical run", well, he also made the NCAA Tournament in 2001, 2005, 2007, and 2010. He wasn't a one year wonder by any means. What he did have was too many shitty seasons during the latter part of his tenure, kind of like Skinner.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:38 pm

branchinator {l Wrote}:"Paul Hewitt would give a nut for Al Skinners record or former player list."

And that was the post that I actually responded to. To the first part, sure, Hewitt would have killed to have Skinner's regular season record. Not many coaches wouldn't. But the players? They both had considerable talent during their tenures. Hewitt's talent was just more transient. If you want to give Skinner a decided advantage in something, it's the development of players.

As for Hewitt's "one magical run", well, he also made the NCAA Tournament in 2001, 2005, 2007, and 2010. He wasn't a one year wonder by any means. What he did have was too many shitty seasons during the latter part of his tenure, kind of like Skinner.

No, he was a one year wonder, his other four appearance resulted in two first round knockouts and two second round knockouts. Yipee!!!!! He was 189-160 overall, 72-104 in the ACC, had ONE winning season in the ACC and never finsihed above third place. I love the jackasses that discount the regular season as if it means nothing.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby branchinator on Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:38 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
branchinator {l Wrote}:"Paul Hewitt would give a nut for Al Skinners record or former player list."

No, he was a one year wonder, his other four appearance resulted in two first round knockouts and two second round knockouts. Yipee!!!!! He was 189-160 overall, 72-104 in the ACC, had ONE winning season in the ACC and never finsihed above third place. I love the jackasses that discount the regular season as if it means nothing.

Al Skinner made the NCAA Tournament 7 times. He was a 1st or 2nd round knockout in all of them but one when his loaded team squeaked by Pacific and then beat a star-studded Montana team. If you want to blast Hewitt for his poor seasons, go ahead, but ridiculing his postseason record is hilarious coming from a Skinner supporter. I liked Skinner until I realized that he had reached his plateau. Skinner's teams at BC constantly underperformed when it mattered most.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby BC923 on Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:53 pm

branchinator {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:

Al Skinner made the NCAA Tournament 7 times. He was a 1st or 2nd round knockout in all of them but one when his loaded team squeaked by Pacific and then beat a star-studded Montana team. If you want to blast Hewitt for his poor seasons, go ahead, but ridiculing his postseason record is hilarious coming from a Skinner supporter. I liked Skinner until I realized that he had reached his plateau. Skinner's teams at BC constantly underperformed when it mattered most.

exactly Skinner and Hewitt are pretty similar in terms of postseason record.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:11 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:
branchinator {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:

exactly Skinner and Hewitt are pretty similar in terms of postseason record.

If you ignore the 0-0 post seasons with all that talent he had.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Ohioeagle on Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:42 pm

None of them on your list took a ten year federal sabbatical appointment for further intense research in point shaving, but I realize of course that your post seems limited to going as far back as the early 90's.
Ohioeagle
Carney Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:42 pm

branchinator {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:

Who said anything about Al Skinner? You stated that he was a one year wonder by any means and I just pointed put the fact that you were dead wrong. Nice try to turn your argument around though. Skinner was a good coach and did very well for BC. Was I frustrated that he had a difficult time advancing in the NCAA tournament? Yes. Did he deserve to get fired? Probably but I would have given him one more year. That said, his record as coach has nothing to do with Hewitt being a one year wonder.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby branchinator on Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:04 pm

I said that Paul Hewitt wasn't a one-year wonder. And he wasn't. He also made the tournament 4 other times while at Georgia Tech. There was no shifting of arguments but nice try anyways, Mrs. Skinner.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:06 pm

branchinator {l Wrote}:I said that Paul Hewitt wasn't a one-year wonder. And he wasn't. He also made the tournament 4 other times while at Georgia Tech. There was no shifting of arguments but nice try anyways, Mrs. Skinner.

He was a one-year wonder because the other times he made it to the tournament he was bounced in the first or second round. Not to mention that he has ONE winning season in the ACC and had a miserable conference record. That defines a one-year wonder.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum