All-time BC team....

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

All-time BC team....

Postby DallasEire on Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:13 am

well, another year is about to end in disappointment for BC basketball. This team is fairly deficient in talent levels when compared to other more disappointing BC squads but every BC team I have watched over the last twenty-six years have been notably deficient in one area or another. Very few times have we had the complete puzzle. In looking back over those teams though you can put together the complete roster that forever seems to be just out of grasp.

So, who would make the team and who would start ? This is only players I have seen and it only ranges back to 1983-1984. We might actually be able to close deal with this roster.....

PG ( toughest call ) I'm going with Michael Adams
2GD Dana Barros ( we'll be a bit small on the perimeter but hard to match up in spreading the floor )
SM Fwd Jared Dudley ( glue guy that can play inside and out )
PWR Fwd Craig Smith
CTR or 5 Bill Curley

Bench:

GD Reggie Jackson ( may get nod to start at 2gd just due to size and athleticism )
GD Howard Eisley ( true point player )
GD Troy Bell
FWD Danya Abrams
FWD *** ******* ( athleticism just too good to pass up especially on roster of all power and small forwards )
FWD Ryan Sidney ( this isn't the all character team but this guy did add a ton from various positions until he went insane ) could have gone with Trapani here

Notably forgotten:

Will Foley
Jaimie Benton
Doug Able
David Hinton
Mark Molinsky
Tyrone Scott
Bryan Edwards
Antonio Granger
DallasEire
n00b

Re: All-time BC team....

Postby bcmurph on Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:25 am

I think I'd have Jay Murphy there somewhere...maybe ahead of Sidney
"Stay with this young team - there are great days ahead." Coach Donahue tweet 2/19/2012 -
bcmurph
McGuinn Hall

Postby DallasEire on Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:39 am

bcmurph {l Wrote}:I think I'd have Jay Murphy there somewhere...maybe ahead of Sidney

More than likely you're right. I wanted a match-up problem off the bench but Murphy was better interior player by vast difference
DallasEire
n00b

Postby BCEagles25 on Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:17 pm

15 man team:
PG Michael Adams
SG Troy Bell
SF Jared Dudley
PF Craig Smith
C- Bill Curley

Bench:
G- Eisley, Rice, Jackson, Barros, Bagley
F- Granger, Murphy, Trapani
C- Abrams, ********

Considered:
Huckaby, Marshall, Singletary, Raji, Sidney, Hinnant

I don't know much prior to the 80's.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby BC923 on Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:03 pm

I've only been actively following since the early 2000s and picking up around 2004-5 so i will withhold judgement on players before that time. So my all BC team would look like

PG-Troy Bell (Scores at will and can carry a team)
SG- Reggie Jackson (athleticism and size combined with good shooting ability and great driving abilities)
SF- Dudley (Can score from most places on the court and good defender)
PF- Craig Smith (Undersized in height, but is a great rebounder and interior scorer)
C- :seanwilliams (athleticism and defense speak for themselves, if he can stay unsuspended for a whole season we'll win some games)

Bench:
Tyrese Rice- streaky shooter and he isn't afraid to take the big shots
Sean Marshall- him yelling in Reddicks face
Marquez Haynes- Never got much time at BC but led the NCAA in scoring his senior year at UT Arlington
Kenny Walls- Steve Kerr type role as a shooter
Uka Agbai- defensively he was good and we haven't had too many recent big men that could take his place
Joe Trapani- On this team I'd give him time at SF so that he wasn't undersized on defense, I think that would really help him out.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:05 pm

Um, yea, Bagley starts at pg.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby bcmurph on Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:10 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Um, yea, Bagley starts at pg.

I think he jst missed the frame of reference for the orginal poster....
"Stay with this young team - there are great days ahead." Coach Donahue tweet 2/19/2012 -
bcmurph
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:13 pm

bcmurph {l Wrote}:

Too many words to read. All-time is just 30 years I take it?
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby bcmurph on Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:19 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
bcmurph {l Wrote}:

Started following in '83-84
bcmurph
McGuinn Hall

Postby DallasEire on Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:32 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
bcmurph {l Wrote}:

Yeah, should have stated MY all-time team and I mislabeled it.... should have been 84-85. I have no doubt Bagley is the starting PG if my frame of reference started one year prior but my BC basketball for me began the year Andre Turner donkey-punched us at Reunion. I have no doubt we would have taken out Waymon and the Boomer Sooner to bring home the all Big East Final Four
DallasEire
n00b

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:34 pm

Bagley
Barros
Dudley
Smith
Curley

Adams
Bell
Austin
Driscoll
Murphy

Eisley
Rice
Penn
Abrams
Williams
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby bcmurph on Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:37 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Bagley
Barros
Dudley
Smith
Curley

Adams
Bell
Austin
Driscoll
Murphy

Eisley
Rice
Penn
Abrams
Williams

No Bobby Carrington for you?
bcmurph
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:42 pm

bcmurph {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Bagley
Barros
Dudley
Smith
Curley

Adams
Bell
Austin
Driscoll
Murphy

Eisley
Rice
Penn
Abrams
Williams

No Bobby Carrington for you?

No, and I dont know much about this Ward character either. Comfortable with my list.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby triangeleagle on Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:56 pm

No Ken Reeves?
triangeleagle
n00b

Postby GreenvilleEagle on Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:34 pm

Ernie Cobb? Rick "Big Bong" Kuhn?
GreenvilleEagle
Campion Hall

Postby angrychicken on Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:58 am

Snowball Grant
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:49 am

I am always amazed that Troy Bell doesn't get more love on these types of posts. Not only should he be first team All-BC, he's arguably the best player in the history of the school. Two-time BE player of the year. All-time leading scorer. Very good defensive player. Led BC to a BE Title. This shouldn't even be up for debate. His NBA career or the Skinner teams that came after him should not be a factor in how we view his time at BC.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:02 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:I am always amazed that Troy Bell doesn't get more love on these types of posts. Not only should he be first team All-BC, he's arguably the best player in the history of the school. Two-time BE player of the year. All-time leading scorer. Very good defensive player. Led BC to a BE Title. This shouldn't even be up for debate. His NBA career or the Skinner teams that came after him should not be a factor in how we view his time at BC.

He's not even arguably one of the top 3 guards to play at BC. Unfortunately, he played at a position where BC has had all of its superstars - Bagley, Adams and Barros. And those three guys played in the Big East when the Big East was sick (Bagley caught the start, and Barros the tail end).

I barely remember Bagley, but I remember him being awesome. Barros was ridiculous.

Bell also benefited from a lot more games being played now.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:13 am

Bagley played for Boston College for three seasons, where he averaged nearly 18 points a game and became the first Eagle to earn Big East Men's Basketball Player of the Year honors.[1] He averaged 20.4 points per game during the 1980-81 season, his sophomore year, and led the Eagles to the regular-season championship and NCAA Tournament's Sweet 16.[2] The following year, Bagley scored 21.1 points per game and led Boston College to the Elite Eight of the NCAA Tournament.[2] Bagley also played in the Men's World University Games in 1981, and led the team with 14.8 points per game.[3] He left Boston College after his junior year and entered the 1982 NBA Draft.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:13 am

Need to stop putting Reggie Jackson on this list. Against FSU, Clemson, Duke and UNC he was completely useless. Kid vanishes on the biggest stage, unlike Joe Trapani.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby bignick33 on Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:27 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Need to stop putting Reggie Jackson on this list. Against FSU, Clemson, Duke and UNC he was completely useless. Kid vanishes on the biggest stage, unlike Joe Trapani.

I agree that Reggie is nowhere near the top 15. But, I'm don't think your comments are particularly fair to him. He doesn't have much of a supporting cast. Trap is nice player, but he's just a spot-up shooter. Opponents don't really have to key on him; they just have to be generally aware of his whereabouts on the court and close out on his shots. Much of Raji's offense comes off offensive rebounds. Paris is a marginal ACC player. Smith excelled when he played with Dudley and Rice, guys who could get their own offense; Dudley was lucky enough to play with Smith and Rice; Rice was best on the teams with Smith and Dudley and a veteran Marshall. It is an obvious statement that teams are better when they have multiple stars; but I think it's worth emphasizing the fact that opponents can key in on the star if there is only one.

For example, when Rice lost the supporting cast before his senior season, BC had a terrible season. Barros and Bagley and Bell were exemplary because they managed some level of success even when their supporting cast wasn't great. If that's your point about Reggie, it's reasonable; however, I found the vitriol to be a bit over the top. If you gave Craig Smith to Reggie, he almost certainly "wouldn't vanish on the biggest stage," because the opposition wouldn't be able to key on him.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:28 am

Not a single mention of Jonathan Beerbohm?

But he was in the dunk contest, and he has an awesome last name!
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby SiValEagle on Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:02 pm

This thread reminds me of the overall lack of talent we've had over the years.

Not to take anything away from our players. I've cheered for all of them.

But to have a player like Trapani (again, who I like) on our second team all-time (or even last 30 years)...
SiValEagle
n00b

Postby Eagledom on Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:05 pm

SiValEagle {l Wrote}:This thread reminds me of the overall lack of talent we've had over the years.

But to have a player like Trapani (again, who I like) on our second team all-time (or even last 30 years)...

Point taken, but Trapani shouldn't be on any sane person's 2nd or 3rd team all time. Neither should Sean Marshall.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:15 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
SiValEagle {l Wrote}:This thread reminds me of the overall lack of talent we've had over the years.

Point taken, but Trapani shouldn't be on any sane person's 2nd or 3rd team all time. Neither should Sean Marshall.

Anyone that doesnt have Curly on their team is nuts.

How does a team with 3 of our best all time players and NBA draft picks not beat Vilanova? I am pissed all over again.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby MaxxPower325 on Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:18 pm

There should be a spoy somewhere for John Garris, one of the hardest working guys ever at BC.

If he were 6'10" instead of 6'8" he would have been an all-timer.
MaxxPower325
Campion Hall

Postby BC923 on Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:42 pm

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:Not a single mention of Jonathan Beerbohm?

But he was in the dunk contest, and he has an awesome last name!

he is one of my all time favorite players.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:42 pm

My all time team:

Dwayne Pina
Ludmil Hadjisotirov
Kevin Hrabowski--I was absolutely stunned when I learned that he was black. Amazing!
Brad Christianson
David Hinton

To me, this line up sums up most of what I have taken away from BC basketball over the years.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:56 pm

No love for Duane Woodward? That's cold.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby wildcat81 on Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:55 am

Most Overrated team

Rakim Sanders
Akida McClain
Chris Herren
Tyler Roche
Steve Hailey
Josh Southern