the OFFICIAL bc wake thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: the OFFICIAL bc wake thread

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:27 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:hahaahahhahah "let's give credit to skinner...he really developed these players"

Yeah, I mean OJ told me that they walked on campus this good, so its crazy to say he is a good coach, just a great recruiter. Wait, I am confused.

Just because he developed players in the past doesn't mean he developed this particular set of players.

Even if that were true and all of Raji's, Jackson's and Trapani's 1200+ points came this season, who brought them in?

I thought Roy Williams sucks.

He does. Al Skinner also stinks with a chalkboard in his hands. And BC is not UNC. Point?

And were talking about player development while at the school not recruiting them to the school. What's yours?

My point is that the players developed under both coaches. The difference, to the extent that there really is one (Yale, Harvard, URI, Miami) this season is the on court coaching, at which both Al and Roy Williams sucked. Al brought the players in, Al developed them, and Al put them in a shitty offense that allowed them to fail.

You don't don't develop players into an NCAA tourney team in 6 months. You give an NCAA tourney team an opportunity to succeed by giving them a good system. That is what the Don did. It has nothing to do with player development - it is about using the pieces correctly. With a team starting Cahill, that should be blatenetly obvious.

Really? You mean Donahue having them shoot hundreds of shots each day didn't help, for instance, Biko Paris' 3 pt % shoot from 27% to 40% while taking nearly 5X more than last year? Or Reggie improving his FG% by 7%, FT% by 8% and 3P% by 13% while taking 40 more 3's?

A large part of that is the design of the offense, which is all about creating three point shots. This is pretty basic - most of BC's three in the tight flex were contested at the end of the shot clock.

And I didn't say they didn't develop under the Don. You said they didn't develop under Al. Feel free to stay on point,
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:27 pm

Can we end this game already? Wake sucks but according to gamecast they are hanging in.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:29 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:And I didn't say they didn't develop under the Don. You said they didn't develop under Al. Feel free to stay on point,

They didn't.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:29 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:hahaahahhahah "let's give credit to skinner...he really developed these players"

Yeah, I mean OJ told me that they walked on campus this good, so its crazy to say he is a good coach, just a great recruiter. Wait, I am confused.

Just because he developed players in the past doesn't mean he developed this particular set of players.

Even if that were true and all of Raji's, Jackson's and Trapani's 1200+ points came this season, who brought them in?

He does. Al Skinner also stinks with a chalkboard in his hands. And BC is not UNC. Point?

And were talking about player development while at the school not recruiting them to the school. What's yours?

My point is that the players developed under both coaches. The difference, to the extent that there really is one (Yale, Harvard, URI, Miami) this season is the on court coaching, at which both Al and Roy Williams sucked. Al brought the players in, Al developed them, and Al put them in a shitty offense that allowed them to fail.

You don't don't develop players into an NCAA tourney team in 6 months. You give an NCAA tourney team an opportunity to succeed by giving them a good system. That is what the Don did. It has nothing to do with player development - it is about using the pieces correctly. With a team starting Cahill, that should be blatenetly obvious.

Really? You mean Donahue having them shoot hundreds of shots each day didn't help, for instance, Biko Paris' 3 pt % shoot from 27% to 40% while taking nearly 5X more than last year? Or Reggie improving his FG% by 7%, FT% by 8% and 3P% by 13% while taking 40 more 3's?

Biko's 3 point percentage as a sophomore was 37%, just saying. In any event, players are supposed to get better as they get older and more experienced, so to attributing their improvement solely to Donahue doesn't seem all that sharp.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:31 pm

I think rehasing Donahue vs Skinner for the eleventeenth millionth time has jinxed BC basketball. Please stop.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:31 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Biko's 3 point percentage as a sophomore was 37%, just saying. In any event, players are supposed to get better as they get older and more experienced, so to attributing their improvement solely to Donahue doesn't seem all that sharp.

You expected sharp? Consider the source. His argument ignores the obvious (the style of offense) so blatenly, it's not worth really getting into.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:31 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

All the best player developers just say "go shoot more" and then walk away.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:31 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:And I didn't say they didn't develop under the Don. You said they didn't develop under Al. Feel free to stay on point,

They didn't.

In regards to your ridiculous "jump-shooting" example, shouldn't Paris have been practicing on his own? Typically, this is a skill that players work on individually, because organized practice isn't really necessary for it. Team drills are what typically occurs during limited practice time. If he didn't work on his skills individually, then it's a pretty big indictment. Stop ragging on Biko.

Edit: what teddy and chalupa-boy said.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:32 pm

Damnit, how are they back within 12? We need to get refocused here.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:33 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:Biko's 3 point percentage as a sophomore was 37%, just saying. In any event, players are supposed to get better as they get older and more experienced, so to attributing their improvement solely to Donahue doesn't seem all that sharp.

I think the point is that they didn't get better. They showed up as FR, we saw what they were & they were the same after their JR years.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:33 pm

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:I think rehasing Donahue vs Skinner for the eleventeenth millionth time has jinxed BC basketball. Please stop.

I'm not rehashing it. I can like the new guy better without shitting on the old guy. Some people can't, because it is too hard.

The Don is a good coach and he was left some good talent. That's why I predicted 20 wins and a tourney appearance, and was laughed at for setting expectations too high. In truth, BC probably should have won 22-23 games by this point.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby cvilleagle on Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:34 pm

Also, Colorado is hanging in that game with KSU. We need KSU to pull away.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby BCMcG on Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:34 pm

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:I think rehasing Donahue vs Skinner for the eleventeenth millionth time has jinxed BC basketball. Please stop.

This.

Please make it stop.
BCMcG
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:35 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:Biko's 3 point percentage as a sophomore was 37%, just saying. In any event, players are supposed to get better as they get older and more experienced, so to attributing their improvement solely to Donahue doesn't seem all that sharp.

I think the point is that they didn't get better. They showed up as FR, we saw what they were & they were the same after their JR years.

And that point is pretty stupid. Al's fault was the Xs and Os, not the player development, and that was proven over and over and over, and is magnified now that we have a guy that knows how to draw them up.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:35 pm

I wish I could watch the Cuse vs. St John's game. It's been within 3 points for pretty much the entire second half.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby commavegarage on Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:36 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

They didn't.

In regards to your ridiculous "jump-shooting" example, shouldn't Paris have been practicing on his own? Typically, this is a skill that players work on individually, because organized practice isn't really necessary for it. Team drills are what typically occurs during limited practice time. If he didn't work on his skills individually, then it's a pretty big indictment. Stop ragging on Biko.

Seeing as Skinner couldn't find the practice gym if you game him a map, that really isn't saying much.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:37 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

They didn't.

Seeing as Skinner couldn't find the practice gym if you game him a map, that really isn't saying much.

Huh? Skinner didn't play basketball for BC.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:38 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Can we end this game already? Wake sucks but according to gamecast they are hanging in.

I know, it was not so nerve-wracking to watch on TV, where Wake's suckage is more obvious...
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:38 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

They didn't.

Guy must have been a fucking GREAT recruiter then.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:38 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

They didn't.

Oh that's right. You, like many other skinner apologists, thought it was fine that he spent 5x more of his time playing ball with people like me at the plex then working on the team he was paid to work with.
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:39 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

They didn't.

Oh that's right. You, like many other skinner apologists, thought it was fine that he spent 5x more of his time playing ball with people like me at the plex then working on the team he was paid to work with.

You've gone completely off the map.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:40 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

They didn't.

You should post more so you can be a better poster. Whew, I'm tired from all this superior poster development...
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:41 pm

Ughhh, realizing i'm walking into the theater during the closing credits here, I hope the skinner haters, other than OJ (cause you know), are class of '09 or later, because if not, wow, that's some dishonest shit right there.

It was time for him to go, etc. but the revisionist shit is stupid.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby commavegarage on Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:42 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

They didn't.

You should post more so you can be a better poster. Whew, I'm tired from all this superior poster development...

You really think Donahue completely changing practice routines, off-season training, etc. had nothing to do with the improvement on this team?
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:42 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

They didn't.

If he were motivated, he would be doing it on his own.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:43 pm

Oof Raji: 2-9 but 9 rebounds
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:44 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

They didn't.

No, but I bet you were fine with winning 28, 27, 25, 24, 22, 21 and 20 games, and 2 Big East Titles.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:45 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

They didn't.

You really think Donahue completely changing practice routines, off-season training, etc. had nothing to do with the improvement on this team?

sigh
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:46 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

They didn't.

A. How much have they really improved? Especially from the 22-win team two years ago?

B. Most of it has to do with dumping the CYO offense and putting in a dynamic college offense, an obvious point you continue to ignore.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:46 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

They didn't.

No, but I bet you were fine with winning 28, 27, 25, 24, 22, 21 and 20 games, and 2 Big East Titles.

When was that, 2001? Last time I checked, nobody was telling Al to leave when his methods worked (more importantly when his assistant coaches were good)
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum