ACC Tournament

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: ACC Tournament

Postby branchinator on Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:12 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
branchinator {l Wrote}:We'll miss Trapani and Raji. We won't miss Southern, Paris, or Dunn.

Has Southern ever dunked a basketball during a game?

Basketball? No. Donut? Yes.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:34 pm

branchinator {l Wrote}:We'll miss Trapani and Raji. We won't miss Southern, Paris, or Dunn.

Jeff Paris? I'm sure you don't mean Biko.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby bcbcbcbcbc4444 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:01 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
bcbcbcbcbc4444 {l Wrote}:Hypothetical: BC beats Wake and VT beats GT, then both BC and VT lose in the next round. Which team would get into the tournament first? (obviously both may not get in in this scenario) I would hope it would be BC because VT is absolute trash. Outside of the Duke win their resume is awful, but I feel like the consensus is that VT is better than they actually are.

this seems like a very lawyerly way to avoid a warning. caddy, i defer to your lawyerly judgement

The Wake game is in the bag. There, I said it.
bcbcbcbcbc4444
Carney Hall

Postby branchinator on Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:19 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:

Biko is awful. One good game against one of the worst teams in college basketball doesn't change that.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:33 pm

branchinator {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:

Biko is awful. One good game against one of the worst teams in college basketball doesn't change that.

I'd have to agree here. He's Tyler Roche except with a little more handle and a ton worse on defense.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:15 pm

He's a legit ACC player. He used to be scared and hesitant, and he really didnt have a game. He was just a pass-first kind of guy. However this year, he's become more of a leader, manned up and adjusted to the system, evidently improved his three point shot, and has just become more confident as a whole. He adapted to the system and fits it like a glove. Good team player, good shooter. For the style of basketball we play, he's pretty good. I don't see how he's awful at all. If you said that last year, I'd probably agree.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:36 am

bcbcbcbcbc4444 {l Wrote}:
bcbcbcbcbc4444 {l Wrote}:Hypothetical: BC beats Wake and VT beats GT, then both BC and VT lose in the next round. Which team would get into the tournament first? (obviously both may not get in in this scenario) I would hope it would be BC because VT is absolute trash. Outside of the Duke win their resume is awful, but I feel like the consensus is that VT is better than they actually are.

this seems like a very lawyerly way to avoid a warning. caddy, i defer to your lawyerly judgement

I got fucking WARNED for saying it. There, I said it.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby BCEagle74 on Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:52 am

BC -12.

BC loses, because of the way things and politics are, BC may get bounced?

You can't lose to a 12 seed and be a possible bubbler and expect to get in or a play-in game?
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:22 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
branchinator {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:

I'd have to agree here. He's Tyler Roche except with a little more handle and a ton worse on defense.

This may be one of the worst comparisons ever made on this site.

On top of what 25 said, it's not too hard to remember how BC has played this season without him in the lineup and when he goes to the bench.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby EagleDave on Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:54 am

If we win by less than 10 we should pack our bags and go home.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:01 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
branchinator {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:

On top of what 25 said, it's not too hard to remember how BC has played this season without him in the lineup and when he goes to the bench.

He's a pure shooter that has a decent handle. That's it. He is horrendous on defense and has no ability to get to the basket. With all of this said, he should still play much more than Moton or Cahill.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:25 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
branchinator {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:

He's a pure shooter that has a decent handle. That's it. He is horrendous on defense and has no ability to get to the basket. With all of this said, he should still play much more than Moton or Cahill.

Pure shooters can do more than hit set shots immediately off a pass. Don't get me wrong - upping his career 3point% by like 14% this season opened up the floor dramatically, but pure shooter? Really?

I think you're confusing what he's asked to do with his actual abilities. Unlike Roche I've seen him take it to the rim effectively in several games, but the Don is not asking him to do that. He's still a pass first PG who can hit an open shot now and again. His defense is nothing, but comparing him to a 6-7 guy who was always guarding guys with more height and weight (because he was playing out of position out of need) and who purely got by on hustle makes no sense.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:50 am

EagleDave {l Wrote}:

I think BC may struggle at the beginning of this game just because it's the ACC Tournament and it's a big stage. Ultimately I think we'll be fine but it'll probably be ugly basketball.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby EagleDave on Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:02 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
EagleDave {l Wrote}:

I think BC may struggle at the beginning of this game just because it's the ACC Tournament and it's a big stage. Ultimately I think we'll be fine but it'll probably be ugly basketball.

There might be 47 people in the stands for this one...BC is used to that. If they can't be focused enough to handily dispatch the worst ACC team in recent memory, they don't deserve to play in the NCAA's, there I said it.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:06 am

EagleDave {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
EagleDave {l Wrote}:

There might be 47 people in the stands for this one...BC is used to that. If they can't be focused enough to handily dispatch the worst ACC team in recent memory, they don't deserve to play in the NCAA's, there I said it.

they will rout wake forest

perhaps tre will be one of those 47 people in the stands? he could drive to the tourney from his office
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:14 am

EagleDave {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
EagleDave {l Wrote}:

Just wanted to point out there hasn't been a worse ACC win% in conference since the Terps went 0fer in 1987 and it's the worst overall ACC win% since Georgia Tech's 4 win 1981 "team".
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:26 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
EagleDave {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
EagleDave {l Wrote}:

Just wanted to point out there hasn't been a worse ACC win% in conference since the Terps went 0fer in 1987 and it's the worst overall ACC win% since Georgia Tech's 4 win 1981 "team".

Yes Wake sucks this year. But lets be honest, the ACC is by FAR the toughest conference in college basketball. So yeah, they suck, but their opponents are all good.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:31 am

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:But lets be honest, the ACC is by FAR the toughest conference in college basketball.

Not true at all this year. Outside of Duke and UNC (both legit National Championship contenders), the ACC is very mediocre. I would be shocked if any ACC team other than those two makes the Sweet 16.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby BCeezy on Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:35 am

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:But lets be honest, the ACC is by FAR the toughest conference in college basketball.

I really hope you forgot the red font here.
BCeezy
Carney Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:41 am

I checked for the space

:81
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:45 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
EagleDave {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
EagleDave {l Wrote}:

they will rout wake forest

perhaps tre will be one of those 47 people in the stands? he could drive to the tourney from his office

Nametag event?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby MaxxPower325 on Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:20 pm

i won't be there thursday or friday. its the curse of acquiring other companies at this time of year[/quote]

What companies are you in the process of acquiring, Mr. Gekko?
MaxxPower325
Campion Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:39 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:

Not true at all this year. Outside of Duke and UNC (both legit National Championship contenders), the ACC is very mediocre. I would be shocked if any ACC team other than those two makes the Sweet 16.

Depending on what brackets they put them in, Duke and UNC both might make the final 4.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:42 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:

Depending on what brackets they put them in, Duke and UNC both might make the final 4.

Indeed. But Wake only played two games against these teams. They played the rest of the mediocre league in their other fourteen games,.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:46 pm

MaxxPower325 {l Wrote}:
TRE {l Wrote}:i won't be there thursday or friday. its the curse of acquiring other companies at this time of year

What companies are you in the process of acquiring, Mr. Gekko?

Yoplait
Last edited by pick6pedro on Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:48 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

Indeed. But Wake only played two games against these teams. They played the rest of the mediocre league in their other fourteen games,.

Pittsburgh, Syracuse, and Notre Dame would NOT win more than 20 games if they had to play in the ACC this year.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:00 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

Pittsburgh, Syracuse, and Notre Dame would NOT win more than 20 games if they had to play in the ACC this year.

Pitt would...the other two would not.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby bignick33 on Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:03 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

The teams you cite were undefeated (3-0) against the ACC. Further, St. John's beat Duke. I don't dispute that the top of the ACC (namely, Duke and UNC) are better than the top of the Big East, and it's more likely that a national champion will come out of the ACC than the Big East. That being said, Big East is vastly stronger in the middle than the ACC is. It isn't close. The drop off from Duke/UNC to the third best team in the ACC is massive. There are upwards of ten Big East teams that would have finished top 3 in the ACC this year. For you to attribute Wake's miserable season to the strength of the ACC is preposterous, as the vast majority of the conference opponents that they played simply aren't that good. Only Duke and UNC are. The "top-to-bottom strength of the ACC" argument simply isn't true anymore, so just stop.

Aside from Duke, UNC, (sorry Teddy) and maybe MD, the ACC needs to upgrade it's coaches, or the middle of the conference will continue its slide. BC and UVA have taken steps in the right direction, but most of the ACC coaches can't hold a candle to their Big East counterparts. That is the biggest issue in my opinion.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:10 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

The teams you cite were undefeated (3-0) against the ACC. Further, St. John's beat Duke. I don't dispute that the top of the ACC (namely, Duke and UNC) are better than the top of the Big East, and it's more likely that a national champion will come out of the ACC than the Big East. That being said, Big East is vastly stronger in the middle than the ACC is. It isn't close.

I'm making the same argument that so called "experts" make when they denigrate ACC football. Ten teams in the ACC going 8-4 or 7-5 means the ACC sucks ass, but in the Big-Ten(12) when two teams go 11-1 and everyone else goes 6-6 or 5-7, the Big-Ten(12) is some kind of super-powerhouse.

I just want these conference evaluations to be consistent.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:13 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

The teams you cite were undefeated (3-0) against the ACC. Further, St. John's beat Duke. I don't dispute that the top of the ACC (namely, Duke and UNC) are better than the top of the Big East, and it's more likely that a national champion will come out of the ACC than the Big East. That being said, Big East is vastly stronger in the middle than the ACC is. It isn't close.

I'm making the same argument that so called "experts" make when they denigrate ACC football. Ten teams in the ACC going 8-4 or 7-5 means the ACC sucks ass, but in the Big-Ten(12) when two teams go 11-1 and everyone else goes 6-6 or 5-7, the Big-Ten(12) is some kind of super-powerhouse.

I just want these conference evaluations to be consistent.

Yea, but you retardedly choose to disregard what happened in the nonconference part of the schedule. In college football, there's never much of a sample of nonconference games, so any argument pre-bowl season is speculation. In college hoops we have a lot more games to look at to make our comparison. Your simplistic argument that "parity = mediocrity" ignores pretty much the entire season of results.
Last edited by bignick33 on Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum