ACC Tournament

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

ACC Tournament

Postby BCeezy on Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:09 pm

First round
Miami over UVA
BC over Wake
Maryland over NCSU
VT over GT

Quarterfinals
UNC over Miami (barely)
Clemson over BC (really hate this match up for BC)
FSU over VT
Duke over Maryland

Semifinals
UNC over Clemson (should also be a close one for UNC)
Duke over FSU

Finals
Duke over UNC (Duke takes series 2-1 and gets a #1 seed)

Hopefully BC can take care of business against Wake, and then surprise me vs. Clemson. Their length and athleticism makes them a bad match-up for us, but on a neutral court things should be different than playing them at Little John.
BCeezy
Carney Hall

Re: ACC Tournament

Postby auggiebc on Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:30 pm

I agree that Clemson is a bad matchup for us. But a few of things in our favor:

-BC is hot right now. Reggie, Trap, Raji, and Biko all peaking at the same time.
-Clemson will not have played in 6 days come tipoff. This time of year, that is a long layoff. I think there's a good chance they start a bit rusty.
-Clemson is a much different team away from their home court. They don't play with nearly as much confidence.

If we jump on them early, we'll have a good chance.
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Postby 2008Eagle on Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:07 am

The Clemson game would be winnable. They're definitely not as good away from home -- their best road win was College of Charleston, while managing to lose to South Carolina, NC State, and Virginia at their buildings. BC's only crappy road losses were Rhode Island and Miami, neither of which is as bad as any of the three Clemson lost to. BC didn't play great against them earlier, but they didn't play a terrible game, either.

Anyway Clemson does pose matchup issues for BC but overall I don't think they're that much better than we are, if at all. On a neutral court I think BC would have about a 50/50 shot against them, assuming they make quick work of Wake.
2008Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:15 am

auggiebc {l Wrote}:I agree that Clemson is a bad matchup for us. But a few of things in our favor:

-BC is hot right now. Reggie, Trap, Raji, and Biko all peaking at the same time.
-Clemson will not have played in 6 days come tipoff. This time of year, that is a long layoff. I think there's a good chance they start a bit rusty.
-Clemson is a much different team away from their home court. They don't play with nearly as much confidence.

AUGGIE KNOWS HOOPS.

They have to beat WF to at least get in or the worst scenario on the sports sites... a 7th play-in game for a shot...but I am thinking 10-12 seed if we win 1 and let it rip!

BC took a page out of the ND book and rotated 7 guys and was 12-22 from 3 Ball Village or something and Biko was "I LOVE PARIS" 6-7 and Cahill???????????????? Ok it was WF.

Reggie drives and hits 3 and we get yesterdays shooting and Traps and Raji and Southern all defense and hot...

NO EXCUSES... GO 6-0. In the NCAA's... The ACC--winning 2 would be great and fly home Saturday and perpare and rest for Thursday or Friday. I love the 12 seed... you get a 5 upset and a 4 the next round.

Just get in and roll.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby bcmurph on Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:00 am

auggiebc {l Wrote}:

This...On the way home yesterday,I think I heard Meter say that BC was 15-1 When leading at the half...
"Stay with this young team - there are great days ahead." Coach Donahue tweet 2/19/2012 -
bcmurph
McGuinn Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:26 am

Let's not start sucking each other's dicks just yet, still have to get past Wake on thursday afternoon. I hope the team isn't taking them too lightly after the win on sunday. Playing at home on senior day is far different than an early matinee game in front of a pro-wake crowd down in Greensboro.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:37 am

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:Let's not start sucking each other's dicks just yet, still have to get past Wake on thursday afternoon. I hope the team isn't taking them too lightly after the win on sunday. Playing at home on senior day is far different than an early matinee game in front of a pro-wake crowd down in Greensboro.

I'd have to agree, Thursday will be trickier in Greensboro.

Miami > UVA (horrible coaching with tons of talent vs. great coach with no talent)
BC > Wake (don't do it BC)
MD > NCST (I could see MD just quitting in this one)
VT > GT (Paul Hewitt's last ever game at GT)

Miami > UNC (yes you're reading this correctly)
BC > Clemson (close game but I think we win)
Duke > MD (closer than you'd think)
VT > FSU (VT needs this one in the worst way)

Miami > BC (we match-up even worse against Miami than Clemson)
Duke > VT

Duke > Miami (just like last year)
Last edited by eepstein0 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:46 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
and it should go without saying that we message board posters should make sure that we focus on thursday and not look ahead to friday. if we do, the team will lose

THIS IS IMPORTANT!
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby SJeagle09 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:04 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:Let's not start sucking each other's dicks just yet, still have to get past Wake on thursday afternoon. I hope the team isn't taking them too lightly after the win on sunday. Playing at home on senior day is far different than an early matinee game in front of a pro-wake crowd down in Greensboro.

Miami > UVA (horrible coaching with tons of talent vs. great coach with no talent)

Duke > MD

Duke > MD (just like last year)

I know you are going to be there, so I will defer to you but Duke and Maryland will play 3 times in a row? :dildodog
:pontif
SJeagle09
Cushing Hall

Postby EagleDave on Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:07 am

I'm 97.5% sure that Duke played Georgia Tech last year in the final...
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby auggiebc on Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:31 am

If we can't beat Wake on Thursday with our toruney lives on the line, then I'll rest easy knowing we don't deserve to dance anyway.

But I think there is something to the old cliche "senior-laden team". Trap, Raji, Biko, and perhaps even Southern, are most likely in a "lets go down swinging" mindset. I expect our guys to play some ball this week/weekend. The Trap postgame interview yesterday was telling. He gave Wake their due, but then added "we want another shot at Clemson on a neutral court". Love that attidude.
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:54 am

SJeagle09 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Duke > MD

Duke > MD (just like last year)

I know you are going to be there, so I will defer to you but Duke and Maryland will play 3 times in a row? :dildodog

Fixed...and thanks. Is anyone else going?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:47 pm

I'm still pessimistic about our chances. I think we'll beat Wake on Thursday, but I see us losing to Clemson and being a 1 seed in the NIT. I have no idea why people think we'll beat Clemson. The last game against them was not even that close, and they're just not a good matchup for us. Despite the fact that it's difficult to beat the same team three times in one season, I would much rather have drawn VT in the 2nd round of this tournament.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:14 pm

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:I'm still pessimistic about our chances. I think we'll beat Wake on Thursday, but I see us losing to Clemson and being a 1 seed in the NIT. I have no idea why people think we'll beat Clemson. The last game against them was not even that close, and they're just not a good matchup for us. Despite the fact that it's difficult to beat the same team three times in one season, I would much rather have drawn VT in the 2nd round of this tournament.

You have to be a major negative Nancy at this point to think that a loss to Clemson, a team already in, knocks BC out. I suppose some weird mid major shit could happen, but things would have to break just right for BC to be out, not in.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:16 pm

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:I'm still pessimistic about our chances. I think we'll beat Wake on Thursday, but I see us losing to Clemson and being a 1 seed in the NIT. I have no idea why people think we'll beat Clemson. The last game against them was not even that close, and they're just not a good matchup for us. Despite the fact that it's difficult to beat the same team three times in one season, I would much rather have drawn VT in the 2nd round of this tournament.

Juan Pierre. While I know what you mean, BC did pull within 7 with 3 minutes remaining. Then they give up an offensive rebound for a 3 which essentially ended it.
Tulowitzki. Remember the offense in that game? It was like they had no idea and no prep for their matchup zone. While they seemed to adjust later, they still ended up shooting under 40% for the game. Despite the inside matchup problems, with the hot hands and now knowing what to expect, I don't think that will happen again.
huston threet. That game was the tail end of a really tough stretch of opponents for the team.
grady sizefore. Littlejohn is magical and won't be making the trip.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:44 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

You have to be a major negative Nancy at this point to think that a loss to Clemson, a team already in, knocks BC out. I suppose some weird mid major shit could happen, but things would have to break just right for BC to be out, not in.

Last four in means you are in a tenuous position and we are not moving off the last four in by beating Wake. A deep conference tourney run by teams currently on the wrong side of the bubble or a random team that is out right now winning an automatic is all it takes. I would not say I am pessimistic, but very cautiously optimistic. We are also assuming that the committee is going to agree with Joey Brackets, which when it comes down to a couple of teams they may not.

Bottom line is this. BC is in control of what happens to them. Take care of business against Wake and beat Clemson and they are in. Lose to Clemson and leave it in some doubt.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:48 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

I hope we don't have to find out, but my basic concern is:

1. Perception that ACC is down means 20 wins isn't what it used to be.
2. Our RPI/SOS (the best part of our resume) are headed down, even if we beat Wake on Thursday.
3. If it's close, I can just see committee members looking at those two Ivy losses and saying "0-2 vs. Ivy isn't a tournament resume",
and finally:
4. Even if we deserve a bid, we're BC. We get no BAMA.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:58 pm

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

2. Our RPI/SOS (the best part of our resume) are headed down, even if we beat Wake on Thursday.
3. If it's close, I can just see committee members looking at those two Ivy losses and saying "0-2 vs. Ivy isn't a tournament resume",
and finally:

As far as I know, number 1 is not a factor the committee looks at. Number two may be headed down, but in H2H with other bubble teams, those numbers are still strong. Number 3 could easily occur if they need something to distinguish between us and another bubble team with similar numbers. Number 4 isn't necessarily true - look at the 7 seed 2 years ago (when a 10/11 seemed more in line with the resume) and the 11 seed in 2002 (when I feel they did not deserve a bid at all and then they got tooled on by Texas).
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:01 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

and finally:

As far as I know, number 1 is not a factor the committee looks at. Number two may be headed down, but in H2H with other bubble teams, those numbers are still strong. Number 3 could easily occur if they need something to distinguish between us and another bubble team with similar numbers. Number 4 isn't necessarily true - look at the 7 seed 2 years ago (when a 10/11 seemed more in line with the resume) and the 11 seed in 2002 (when I feel they did not deserve a bid at all and then they got tooled on by Texas).

I'm a big ODU fan tonight. Hopefully the bubble is very, very soft so I can stop being so negative.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby bcbcbcbcbc4444 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:42 pm

Hypothetical: BC beats Wake and VT beats GT, then both BC and VT lose in the next round. Which team would get into the tournament first? (obviously both may not get in in this scenario) I would hope it would be BC because VT is absolute trash. Outside of the Duke win their resume is awful, but I feel like the consensus is that VT is better than they actually are.
bcbcbcbcbc4444
Carney Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:11 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
bcbcbcbcbc4444 {l Wrote}:Hypothetical: BC beats Wake and VT beats GT, then both BC and VT lose in the next round. Which team would get into the tournament first? (obviously both may not get in in this scenario) I would hope it would be BC because VT is absolute trash. Outside of the Duke win their resume is awful, but I feel like the consensus is that VT is better than they actually are.

this seems like a very lawyerly way to avoid a warning. caddy, i defer to your lawyerly judgement

i refuse to even acknowledge this Wake Forest team as any kind of worthy opponent in the first round. yes, i am thinking past wake. f-u cowards, to everyone who takes this game on March 10th, seriously.

that said, if BC had played the Clem at BC and not in South Carolina, would it have made any difference? Was Clemson just so much better that there is little chance that BC can whip their asses in round two?
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby auggiebc on Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:13 pm

The Clemmy is tough at home. But get them on the road or at a neutral site and they turn into a paper Tiger (haha...get it?)

seriously, they are an awful team away from their home gym. And BC is playing well right now. We can beat them.
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:21 pm

auggiebc {l Wrote}:The Clemmy is tough at home. But get them on the road or at a neutral site and they turn into a paper Tiger (haha...get it?)

seriously, they are an awful team away from their home gym. And BC is playing well right now. We can beat them.

They better beat them. This is an extremely important ACC tournament for BC. Their seeding is entirely dependent upon how well they do vs The Clem and then UNC.

BC is going to be absolutely CRUSHED by graduation. ALL of the big men are gone when the tourney ends, all of them. NFW BC gets even a sniff of the tourney next year. They will be very lucky if they crack the NIT in 2012.

They really need to close the deal this year. In the ACC, 20 wins gets you into the tourney no doubt about it. They will struggle to even win 12 next year.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby ryrob on Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:28 pm

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:4. Even if we deserve a bid, we're BC. We get no BAMA.

I actually think BC does get some BAMA in basketball where we don't really otherwise deserve it. Remember going from unranked to #17 after beating UNC two years ago? Kinda like the opposite of football.
ryrob
Merkert Hall

Postby ryrob on Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:29 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
auggiebc {l Wrote}:The Clemmy is tough at home. But get them on the road or at a neutral site and they turn into a paper Tiger (haha...get it?)

They better beat them. This is an extremely important ACC tournament for BC. Their seeding is entirely dependent upon how well they do vs The Clem and then UNC.

BC is going to be absolutely CRUSHED by graduation. ALL of the big men are gone when the tourney ends, all of them. NFW BC gets even a sniff of the tourney next year. They will be very lucky if they crack the NIT in 2012.

They really need to close the deal this year. In the ACC, 20 wins gets you into the tourney no doubt about it. They will struggle to even win 12 next year.

That's fucking dumb. Reggie isn't going anywhere. Outside of Raji's offensive boards and Southern when he feels like playing D, I'll miss none of the seniors. I think the freshman will be fine. Tourney next year is definitely not out of the question.
ryrob
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:43 pm

ryrob {l Wrote}:

That's fucking dumb. Reggie isn't going anywhere. Outside of Raji's offensive boards and Southern when he feels like playing D, I'll miss none of the seniors. I think the freshman will be fine. Tourney next year is definitely not out of the question.

Speaking of fucking dumb, you dont think we'll miss our starting point guard? Or our second leading scorer and leading rebounder? And are you aware that we recruited a 6'11 guy, a 6'10 guy, and a star 6'8 power forward?

This class will absolutely be missed.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby ryrob on Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:47 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
ryrob {l Wrote}:

Speaking of fucking dumb, you dont think we'll miss our starting point guard? Or our second leading scorer and leading rebounder? And are you aware that we recruited a 6'11 guy, a 6'10 guy, and a star 6'8 power forward?

We're winning more than 12 games next year. We're by no means a tourney lock, but that's absolutely retarded to think we'll be that bad.
ryrob
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:49 pm

ryrob {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
ryrob {l Wrote}:
innocentbystander {l Wrote}:They better beat them. This is an extremely important ACC tournament for BC. Their seeding is entirely dependent upon how well they do vs The Clem and then UNC.

We're winning more than 12 games next year. We're by no means a tourney lock, but that's absolutely retarded to think we'll be that bad.

That I agree with (depending on how strong the field is next year as opposed to this year.) When you say that this class isn't going to be missed that's entirely different. We certainly weren't expected to be where we are now, and I don't see why we can't exceed next year.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby branchinator on Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:52 pm

We'll miss Trapani and Raji. We won't miss Southern, Paris, or Dunn.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby angrychicken on Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:10 pm

branchinator {l Wrote}:We'll miss Trapani and Raji. We won't miss Southern, Paris, or Dunn.

Has Southern ever dunked a basketball during a game?
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Next

Return to Conte Forum