College Gameday

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

College Gameday

Postby Art Vandelay on Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:47 am

Digger, Hubert and Bilas all think BC is out.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Re: College Gameday

Postby chuckiedukes on Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:05 am

They're all jerkoffs, but let's not forget that a 18-11 BC team was left out of the Big Dance in 2003 when Troy Bell was Big East Player of the Year. Of course, there are four more spots open this year.

But I'd stil feel a lot better about our chances with two more wins. I'd feel great about them with three more.
chuckiedukes
n00b

Postby BCEagle74 on Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:17 am

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:Digger, Hubert and Bilas all think BC is out.

BC beats WF twice, they would have a 10% chance of being left out.

This is why the ESPuscadores have been fatwaboy'd. Even Bilas is now getting way to full of himself.

It a gigantic mutual reach around festival of ESPN talking heads jerking each others junk.

Lunardi has missed on maybe 3 teams in 5 years.

BC has to beat WF it looks like twice in a row. 20-11 and 10-7-- then going into VT or Clemson in Round 2 is in, but a whole host of Tourney upsets, BC has better win 3 and end the bullshit.

21-12 11-8 is a lot better than -- 20-12 and 10-8
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:32 am

I don't see beating Wake twice being all that helpful. I think if we were to beat Wake twice and lose in the second round of the ACCT, we are in a very tenuous position on the bubble and dependent on other teams losing to get in. We need to win 2 in the ACCT with one of them against at least a decent team to feel comfortable on selection Sunday.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:54 am

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:I don't see beating Wake twice being all that helpful. I think if we were to beat Wake twice and lose in the second round of the ACCT, we are in a very tenuous position on the bubble and dependent on other teams losing to get in. We need to win 2 in the ACCT with one of them against at least a decent team to feel comfortable on selection Sunday.

Beating Wake twice is not helpful. Beating Clemson or whoever is the 4v5 game is.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby auggiebc on Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:59 am

Rhetorical question to the committee/talking heads: How do you not take a power conference school who finishes with 20+ wins, an RPI in the 30's, and a SoS in the top 20? I just don't see it happening......you can't tell me there are really 68 (less the auto-bid) teams in the country more deserving.

If we don't get in, I think it will have alot to do with the fact that there are 2 other bubble teams in our conference in very similar positions as us. 6 ACC teams are not dancing, so the talking heads are looking at BC, Clemson and VT as some sort of 3-headed monster where they can only take 1 or 2 of them. So instead of getting compared to the Richmonds and the Memphis' and the Michigans, we are getting compared strictly against the VT's and Clemsons.
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:35 pm

BC is probably in, and 2 wins over Wake is not bad, nor is it a plus. It is just lipstick - 20 wins and 10 conference wins. Win in round 2 would make it no issue.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Art Vandelay on Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:45 pm

auggiebc {l Wrote}:Rhetorical question to the committee/talking heads: How do you not take a power conference school who finishes with 20+ wins, an RPI in the 30's, and a SoS in the top 20? I just don't see it happening......you can't tell me there are really 68 (less the auto-bid) teams in the country more deserving.

If we don't get in, I think it will have alot to do with the fact that there are 2 other bubble teams in our conference in very similar positions as us. 6 ACC teams are not dancing, so the talking heads are looking at BC, Clemson and VT as some sort of 3-headed monster where they can only take 1 or 2 of them. So instead of getting compared to the Richmonds and the Memphis' and the Michigans, we are getting compared strictly against the VT's and Clemsons.

As TRE said, the ACC is a power conference in name only this year. That being said, there are several teams who have a simlar argument and it's largely a matter of choosing among them. RPI and SOS are nice but you need some quality wins, which we are lacking in and you can't discount the bad losses. If it comes down to Alabams, Colorado, Baylor, Michigan, Richmond and BC for the last couple of spots, that is not an easy decision and cases can be made for all of them. We better seriously root for the favorites to win all the traditional one bid conferences, because if a team like Duquenne wins the A-10 that could end up stealing a bubble slot since Xavier and Temple are in and Richmond is right there on the bubble with us.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:48 pm

Lunardi and Gottlieb think they're in. I'll take their word over Gameday's.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:58 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:BC is probably in, and 2 wins over Wake is not bad, nor is it a plus. It is just lipstick - 20 wins and 10 conference wins. Win in round 2 would make it no issue.

Losing in Round 2 is going to make between 6:00-7:00 pm very stressful.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby apbc12 on Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:00 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:Lunardi and Gottlieb think they're in. I'll take their word over Gameday's.

Don't trust Gottlieb, he always phones in his picks.

:koolaid
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:38 pm

The Bubble was an absolute disaster today: Wins by Alabama, Michigan, Richmond and Clemson...that's certainly not what we were looking for.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BC923 on Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:31 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:The Bubble was an absolute disaster today: Wins by Alabama, Michigan, Richmond and Clemson...that's certainly not what we were looking for.

Lunardi still has us in fwiw.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:43 am

apbc12 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:Lunardi and Gottlieb think they're in. I'll take their word over Gameday's.

Don't trust Gottlieb, he always phones in his picks.

:koolaid

Doug Gottlieb and Seth Davis over at CBS are utterly WORTHLESS! Simply mind boggling wrong year after year,

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby auggiebc on Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:00 am

something nobody seems to be mentioning is the fact that VT had by far the easiest conference schedule in the ACC. They only had to play UNC, Duke, FSU, Clemson and Miami once each. Whereas BC had to play those same teams a combined 7 times, 5 of which were on the road. if BC had VT's conference schedule we'd have at least 11 conference wins. VT got GT twice, Wake twice, Virginia twice, and still only got 9 conference wins? pathetic.
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:00 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:The Bubble was an absolute disaster today: Wins by Alabama, Michigan, Richmond and Clemson...that's certainly not what we were looking for.

3 of those 4 were playing other bubble teams. Relax.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:49 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

3 of those 4 were playing other bubble teams. Relax.

Fair point...though we still didn't get much help.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:43 pm

I think Seth Greenberg will be fired if VT misses the Tourney.

And he should be.

He may be a huge VT guy and daughters and loved and family, but business is business and failing all these years in a row....

VT has to make a run in the tourney and win.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:04 pm

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:I think Seth Greenberg will be fired if VT misses the Tourney.

And he should be.

He may be a huge VT guy and daughters and loved and family, but business is business and failing all these years in a row....

VT has to make a run in the tourney and win.

In Greenberg's defense, that team has had some key guys injured this year. Chaney and Thompson have missed the enitre season and would make them an entirely different team. They still should have done more with what they had but they were picked to finish second in the ACC assuming they had those guys.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:03 pm

Virginia Tech is definitely in tough shape at present; they have to beat Georgia Tech and Florida State to have even a decent chance at a bid, and even that might not be enough with their 0-3 record against BC and Clemson. Clemson is in slightly better shape, but losing to BC would put them on shaky ground. BC is still alive after beating Wake Forest, but needs a repeat victory to have a chance for a bid and needs a victory over Clemson after that to make their chance substantially better than even. The ACC has been weak enough this year that the tournament committee might only take four ACC teams, so winning against Clemson is closer to a necessity then a luxury; if we lose that game and still get a bid, we will be very lucky indeed.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby MaxxPower325 on Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:36 pm

RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:Virginia Tech is definitely in tough shape at present; they have to beat Georgia Tech and Florida State to have even a decent chance at a bid, and even that might not be enough with their 0-3 record against BC and Clemson. Clemson is in slightly better shape, but losing to BC would put them on shaky ground. BC is still alive after beating Wake Forest, but needs a repeat victory to have a chance for a bid and needs a victory over Clemson after that to make their chance substantially better than even. The ACC has been weak enough this year that the tournament committee might only take four ACC teams, so winning against Clemson is closer to a necessity then a luxury; if we lose that game and still get a bid, we will be very lucky indeed.

I can't see how a VT team we beat twice, with a lower RPI and an abysmal SOS gets in ahead of us.

One win over a coasting Duke team does not make up for the three strikes against, at least in a head to head scenario.
MaxxPower325
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:42 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:BC is probably in, and 2 wins over Wake is not bad, nor is it a plus. It is just lipstick - 20 wins and 10 conference wins. Win in round 2 would make it no issue.

I think we're in with a win on Thursday but agreed.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:38 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

I think we're in with a win on Thursday but agreed.

It's going to be sketchy at best. You're cheering in a big way for Butler and ODU tonight, those games are huge.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby EagleDave on Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:02 am

VaTech is out barring a miracle run through the ACC Tournament. I agree that beating Wake twice is probably not going to alter the perception of BC basketball in the eyes of the committee. What they can do to help themselves is do what they did against VaTech...beat a fellow bubble team into the ground. Assuming they stroll past the Deacs on Thursday, Clemson is a must win. If they lose to Clemson (again), Clemson & BC's resumes are close enough that the Tigers having beaten us twice will get them the nod. A split though makes BC look better because they lost on the road at LJC (no shame in that) and won at a neutral site. The other thing that helps in that situation is that it becomes about computer numbers, which BC has in spades.

They need to oust Clemson. Period. Otherwise they're at the mercy of the committee that will see that they lost twice to Clemson and are .500 since the start of 2011.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:33 pm

EagleDave {l Wrote}:VaTech is out barring a miracle run through the ACC Tournament. I agree that beating Wake twice is probably not going to alter the perception of BC basketball in the eyes of the committee. What they can do to help themselves is do what they did against VaTech...beat a fellow bubble team into the ground. Assuming they stroll past the Deacs on Thursday, Clemson is a must win. If they lose to Clemson (again), Clemson & BC's resumes are close enough that the Tigers having beaten us twice will get them the nod. A split though makes BC look better because they lost on the road at LJC (no shame in that) and won at a neutral site. The other thing that helps in that situation is that it becomes about computer numbers, which BC has in spades.

They need to oust Clemson. Period. Otherwise they're at the mercy of the committee that will see that they lost twice to Clemson and are .500 since the start of 2011.

Lunardi still has both us and VT in as well as Clemson. I think VT and BC both need to win 2 in the ACCT. I feel like this is the kind of year where some team comes out of nowhere to win a conference tournament and steal a bid kind of like Georgia did in the SEC a couple of years ago.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby Eagledom on Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:53 pm

EagleDave {l Wrote}:VaTech is out barring a miracle run through the ACC Tournament. I agree that beating Wake twice is probably not going to alter the perception of BC basketball in the eyes of the committee. What they can do to help themselves is do what they did against VaTech...beat a fellow bubble team into the ground. Assuming they stroll past the Deacs on Thursday, Clemson is a must win. If they lose to Clemson (again), Clemson & BC's resumes are close enough that the Tigers having beaten us twice will get them the nod. A split though makes BC look better because they lost on the road at LJC (no shame in that) and won at a neutral site. The other thing that helps in that situation is that it becomes about computer numbers, which BC has in spades.

1 more win is enough. I don't think Clemson is a must by any stretch. The ACC will probably get 5 teams, and we already have the edge over VT.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:12 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:

1 more win is enough. I don't think Clemson is a must by any stretch. The ACC will probably get 5 teams, and we already have the edge over VT.

you're probably right, but I don't really want to leave that to chance. plus I'd rather not be playing a week from tomorrow.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby auggiebc on Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:22 pm

If we beat Wake and lose to Clemson, I'll have to be knee-deep in vodka just to watch the Selection show on Sunday night.

To the point above, we need to get the hell out of that play-in game on Tuesday. Leave that game for the Michigans and Colorados and VT's of the world.

PS: Go Old Dominion tonite.
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:10 pm

Wrong. Clemson and BC are both in with a BC win over Wake. Clemson is in, period.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Art Vandelay on Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:38 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Wrong. Clemson and BC are both in with a BC win over Wake. Clemson is in, period.

I agree but would amend that to say BC is in with a win over wake as long as we don't have teams that would not otherwise be in win a confrence tourney and steal a bid. Win over Clemson and we should have nothing to worry about. Thats said....I expect to be sweating on selection sunday.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Next

Return to Conte Forum