Final Four

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Final Four

Postby BCMurt09 on Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:16 pm

According to statsheet.com, Boston College is tied with Tennessee, at #6, for most tournament appearances without a trip to the Final Four. Let's hope that our time is coming soon.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Re: Final Four

Postby MilitantEagle on Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:10 pm

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:According to statsheet.com, Boston College is tied with Tennessee, at #6, for most tournament appearances without a trip to the Final Four. Let's hope that our time is coming soon.

And last time I checked, BC had more NCAA Tourney wins than any other team that also has not been to a Final Four. Awesome! It kinda sums up BC. No BCS appearances. No Final Fours. How many other BCS teams can make that claim?
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby branchinator on Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:17 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:According to statsheet.com, Boston College is tied with Tennessee, at #6, for most tournament appearances without a trip to the Final Four. Let's hope that our time is coming soon.

And last time I checked, BC had more NCAA Tourney wins than any other team that also has not been to a Final Four. Awesome! It kinda sums up BC. No BCS appearances. No Final Fours. How many other BCS teams can make that claim?

I would trade all 4 hockey championships for a Final 4 appearance or BCS game.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:06 pm

branchinator {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

Fucking Idiot.

National Championships?

Not even 1.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby branchinator on Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:25 pm

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:
branchinator {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

Fucking Idiot.

National Championships?

Not even 1.

Please. Nobody gives a shit about hockey. A Final 4 appearance or BCS bowl would do a ton more for the school.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:54 am

branchinator {l Wrote}:
BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:
branchinator {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

Fucking Idiot.

National Championships?

Not even 1.

Please. Nobody gives a shit about hockey. A Final 4 appearance or BCS bowl would do a ton more for the school.

Considering hockey averages over 1.5k more per home game despite being a smaller venue than basketball, solid argument.

Now are you talking nationally? Sure a FF would be great but does anyone remember that Louisville went to a FF a mere 5 years ago? Not unless you are a diehard Louisville fan or are prompted.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby branchinator on Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:04 am

Of course I was talking about national perception. Because right now the national perception of BC is a cute little school that always chokes. Again, nobody gives a shit about hockey and the majority don't even know that our program is the tits. I'm glad our hockey team is good but a Final Four / BCS bowl would be far more meaningful to me.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:08 am

branchinator {l Wrote}:Of course I was talking about national perception. Because right now the national perception of BC is a cute little school that always chokes. Again, nobody gives a shit about hockey and the majority don't even know that our program is the tits. I'm glad our hockey team is good but a Final Four / BCS bowl would be far more meaningful to me.

Honestly, how many people do you think applied to Wake after seeing them in the Orange Bowl?

It's been said on this place but it isn't until your 2nd/3rd when a lot of people start to notice.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby branchinator on Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:12 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
branchinator {l Wrote}:Of course I was talking about national perception. Because right now the national perception of BC is a cute little school that always chokes. Again, nobody gives a shit about hockey and the majority don't even know that our program is the tits. I'm glad our hockey team is good but a Final Four / BCS bowl would be far more meaningful to me.

Honestly, how many people do you think applied to Wake after seeing them in the Orange Bowl?

It's been said on this place but it isn't until your 2nd/3rd when a lot of people start to notice.

Umm...you realize that BC saw a spike in applicants after that whole Flutie thing, right? Right?
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:18 am

branchinator {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

Umm...you realize that BC saw a spike in applicants after that whole Flutie thing, right? Right?

Umm...you realize that was nearly 30 years ago right? Right?

I'm comparing it to a modern day, peer school.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby branchinator on Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:22 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
branchinator {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

Oh, so we're changing our arguments now.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:32 am

branchinator {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
branchinator {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

Oh, so we're changing our arguments now.

How so? You said:

branchinator {l Wrote}: A Final 4 appearance or BCS bowl would do a ton more for the school.

I'm asking you to tell me how much it changed a peer school in recent times and you are referencing something that happened 30 years ago.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby branchinator on Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:40 am

Wake Forest isn't a "peer school" to BC on the football field. They had a decent little stretch for a couple years and have reverted back to being...Wake Forest. A BCS bowl game would do far more for BC's recruiting efforts than for a smaller school like Wake Forest.

As for basketball, Jim O'Brien was able to pull in that stellar class (at least on paper) in the mid-90s, largely because the 1994 team gave him a ton of great exposure. Just look at the recruiting class that Donahue pulled in this year on short notice. You don't think we'd have a much better shot at top recruits if we made a Final Four run? I sure do. Of course, there are recruits we'd never land but I bet more of the Alex Murphy types would be in play.

Now, I'm not trying to denigrate the hockey program. They're awesome. I just value their success less than basketball and football. And so does America, which is why the NHL continues to be a distant 4th among professional sports leagues.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:43 am

I wouldnt trade any hockey national championship except for a football national championship, and definitely not for a final four. I cant even name last year's final four except the championship game and I have no clue about the year before that. College hoops isnt what it used to be. The only final 4 I can remember is probably the year the Big East had 3 teams.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:00 am

branchinator {l Wrote}:Wake Forest isn't a "peer school" to BC on the football field. They had a decent little stretch for a couple years and have reverted back to being...Wake Forest. A BCS bowl game would do far more for BC's recruiting efforts than for a smaller school like Wake Forest.

As for basketball, Jim O'Brien was able to pull in that stellar class (at least on paper) in the mid-90s, largely because the 1994 team gave him a ton of great exposure. Just look at the recruiting class that Donahue pulled in this year on short notice. You don't think we'd have a much better shot at top recruits if we made a Final Four run? I sure do. Of course, there are recruits we'd never land but I bet more of the Alex Murphy types would be in play.

Now, I'm not trying to denigrate the hockey program. They're awesome. I just value their success less than basketball and football. And so does America, which is why the NHL continues to be a distant 4th among professional sports leagues.

When I said peer school, I meant academically & honestly if you combine academics & athletics they are probably the closest thing in the ACC we have to a peer school. A small, very good school, that has trouble attracting fans & every so often has a great year and other years is in the grand scheme of things -mediocre.

They had one great year and didn't receive an uptick in anything.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby SJeagle09 on Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:38 am

I think the size of the uptick is where you guys aren't seeing eye to eye. Appears to me that Branch is saying a BCS or Final Four will lead to an uptick in recruiting = more staying power in the football/bball hierarchy, not just a blip. That will then lead to the better national perception and uptick in whatever else (applications? prestige?)

That's the way I see it.
:pontif
SJeagle09
Cushing Hall

Postby EagleNYC on Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:45 am

The whole "never been to a BCS bowl" is horseshit. The BCS isn't old enough that is comes anywhere close to the "never been to a final four" mark, particularly since BC played in the Cotton Bowl after the '84 season (ignoring the Sugar, Orange and Cotton bowl appearances of yester year). Is it still upsetting that Wake has made the grade while we haven't? You bet. But step back of the ledge.
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:46 am

branchinator {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

I am a self-proclaimed football first, then hoops, then hockey guy and I still want to challenge you to a duel, Mr. Hamilton.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby branchinator on Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:53 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
branchinator {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

I am a self-proclaimed football first, then hoops, then hockey guy and I still want to challenge you to a duel, Mr. Hamilton.

Bring it.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby branchinator on Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:55 am

EagleNYC {l Wrote}:The whole "never been to a BCS bowl" is horseshit. The BCS isn't old enough that is comes anywhere close to the "never been to a final four" mark, particularly since BC played in the Cotton Bowl after the '84 season (ignoring the Sugar, Orange and Cotton bowl appearances of yester year). Is it still upsetting that Wake has made the grade while we haven't? You bet. But step back of the ledge.

Who's on a ledge? I just don't value hockey success as much as some people here.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:58 am

SJeagle09 {l Wrote}:I think the size of the uptick is where you guys aren't seeing eye to eye. Appears to me that Branch is saying a BCS or Final Four will lead to an uptick in recruiting = more staying power in the football/bball hierarchy, not just a blip. That will then lead to the better national perception and uptick in whatever else (applications? prestige?)

That's the way I see it.

Wake's results which would stem from the quality of shirtless boys with fluid hips have gone down post Orange Bowl.

As I said, I think it takes at least 2 before you see the uptick.

Edit: Look at every single team in the BE that has made a BCS game recently, none of them have been back since and it's the crappiest of crappy conferences.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:01 am

branchinator {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
branchinator {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

Bring it.

Do you have 6 fingers on your right hand?
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:05 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
branchinator {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

Agreed. Being the premier hockey program in the country is pretty cool and is worth more to me than a good run in the NCAA Tourney or a BCS appearance.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:32 am

I feel like Mizzou is up there as well. In Don I Trust.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby branchinator on Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:34 am

I need to clarify that I wouldn't trade ANY of our sailing national titles for a Final Four run or BCS bowl appearance. Those are too valuable.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:48 am

branchinator {l Wrote}:I need to clarify that I wouldn't trade ANY of our sailing national titles for a Final Four run or BCS bowl appearance. Those are too valuable.

I wouldnt trade our quidditch titles either. If we have any of those.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:58 pm

I love the hockey titles.

Seriously, all 800 people that care think the hockey program is the balls, but one game in the Final Four would draw more eyeballs in person and for TV than the hockey program has had in the last 10 years total.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:18 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I love the hockey titles.

Seriously, all 800 people that care think the hockey program is the balls, but one game in the Final Four would draw more eyeballs in person and for TV than the hockey program has had in the last 10 years total.

Agreed here. Hopefully we can get there one of these years under Donahue.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:26 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I love the hockey titles.

If we also won the ACC Regular Season and Tourney Championships in this mythical season, then I may vote for the Final Four season. But if it's just one lucky run to a Final Four and that's all, then I will keep the four hockey titles. For me, this argument is about pride, not eyeballs. When I think of the BC sports program, the things that I am most proud of are the four title banners hanging in Conte. A Final Four season when we are not technically the champions of anything would not change that. While not nearly as many people care about college hockey, it is still one of the four major sports and college sports fans know that BC has arguably the best program in the country. And that's pretty cool.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:28 pm

Doug Flutie's Heisman is second on my "BC Sports Pride" List.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Next

Return to Conte Forum