NCAA Tournament

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

NCAA Tournament

Postby MOTO on Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:39 pm

The way I see it, Boston College may have earned an NCAA tournament bid or may be watching on television during halftime of their NIT appearances.

On the one hand, the wins over Viriginia Polytechnical Institute were big factors and we have a good opportunity to finish the season with a winning ACC record. On the other hand, we are all aware of some bad losses by the Boston College Eagles.

The Boston College Eagles now have to face Wake Forest. It goes without saying that this is a big game for the Eagles. If they lose, I think fans can be assured they will not make the tournament. Unless of course, the Boston College Eagles win the ACC tournament. It begins to get very complicated at this point.

After that game, it is possible Boston College faces a bye or plays a first round game. On the one hand, it may be beneficial to roll up additional wins before facing the selection committee. On the other hand, it may be beneficial to have some rest in order to prepare for a run in the ACC tournament.

I am going to go out on a limb and stake my position very clearly here; Boston College's best opportunity will be to win the ACC tournament and should prepare in a manner best designed to accomplish that goal. You may believe it is best to "roll up" wins, but I believe it is very clear that if we win the ACC tournament we will be playing in the NCAA and may even have a reasonably good seed. I also strongly believe, despite what many here seem to think, that we should prepare each season to win every game we play in and win the ACC tournament. That is the best position that the Eagles can be in to have a strong NCAA tournament seed and a guaranteed bid.

That's the way I see it.
MOTO
n00b

Re: NCAA Tournament

Postby cvilleagle on Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:47 pm

I strongly disagree.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby Logitano on Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:08 pm

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:I strongly disagree.

You do not think we get in the tournie if BC wins the ACC tournie or you do not want BC to win every game? I agree with MOTO and want BC to win every game. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:39 pm

MOTO {l Wrote}:but I believe it is very clear that if we win the ACC tournament we will be playing in the NCAA

Has anyone CONFIRMED this?
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby branchinator on Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:52 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
MOTO {l Wrote}:but I believe it is very clear that if we win the ACC tournament we will be playing in the NCAA

Has anyone CONFIRMED this?

You're not going to find that kind of in-depth analysis on this site. There's no CONTENT here!
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:15 pm

The way I see it, Virginia Tech royally fucked themselves over tonight.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby Onyx Blackman on Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:24 pm

MOTO is no Edward Aronson.
Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby AdamBC on Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:49 pm

According to the latest statjunkie.com update, we're 27.65% and on the 'in' side of the bubble. A nice jump from the last update.
AdamBC
Cushing Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:17 am

AdamBC {l Wrote}:According to the latest statjunkie.com update, we're 27.65% and on the 'in' side of the bubble. A nice jump from the last update.

Lunardi has us at the #12 in the East playing Michigan in a play-in.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:42 am

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:
AdamBC {l Wrote}:According to the latest statjunkie.com update, we're 27.65% and on the 'in' side of the bubble. A nice jump from the last update.

We'd do just fine against Michigan. Playing in DC would be ideal also (if only because I live here). Give me an over-rated 'Zona team in the next round traveling about 3,000 miles coast-to-coast then a so-so St. John's team. Sweet 16 before our beating from Ohio State In Newark would be a serious possibility.

As someone who's planning on going in DC, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T PUT SYRACUSE IN THIS REGIONAL! Their fans are insufferable and would travel in the thousands down here which sucks to try and get tickets. Unfortunately, I'm about 100% sure they end up in DC.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:13 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:

We'd do just fine against Michigan. Playing in DC would be ideal also (if only because I live here). Give me an over-rated 'Zona team in the next round traveling about 3,000 miles coast-to-coast then a so-so St. John's team. Sweet 16 before our beating from Ohio State In Newark would be a serious possibility.

As someone who's planning on going in DC, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T PUT SYRACUSE IN THIS REGIONAL! Their fans are insufferable and would travel in the thousands down here which sucks to try and get tickets. Unfortunately, I'm about 100% sure they end up in DC.

If we end up in DC I will definitely be at the opening-round game as well.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby bcmurph on Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:34 am

CBS Sportsline (Palm) has us as a 10 v. Missouri in Chicago...Sets up a potential 2nd round game with the Golden Domers...
"Stay with this young team - there are great days ahead." Coach Donahue tweet 2/19/2012 -
bcmurph
McGuinn Hall

Postby shockdoct on Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:40 am

I applaud MOTO for really sticking his neck out there in his predictions.
shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:45 am

shockdoct {l Wrote}:I applaud MOTO for really sticking his neck out there in his predictions.

I fail to understand why everyone continues to find him amusing. It was incredibly :lame the first attempt. It's now :orca
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby SiValEagle on Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:35 pm

Onyx Blackman {l Wrote}:MOTO is no Edward Aronson.

I had exactly the same thought.
SiValEagle
n00b

Postby branchinator on Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:59 pm

bcmurph {l Wrote}:CBS Sportsline (Palm) has us as a 10 v. Missouri in Chicago...Sets up a potential 2nd round game with the Golden Domers...

If we played Missouri, there would be no 2nd round matchup. They're a rich man's Clemson, a super athletic team that we really struggle against.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:18 pm

branchinator {l Wrote}:
bcmurph {l Wrote}:CBS Sportsline (Palm) has us as a 10 v. Missouri in Chicago...Sets up a potential 2nd round game with the Golden Domers...

If we played Missouri, there would be no 2nd round matchup. They're a rich man's Clemson, a super athletic team that we really struggle against.

Missouri = :whiteflag in Round 1.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby bcmurph on Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:36 pm

According to Statsheet.com our fine performance today took our RPI from 36 to 43...

http://statsheet.com/mcb/rankings/RPI?id=2011-03-06

Of course, that's still better than Clemson or VT, but I'm thinking we're going to need 2 wins in Greensboro to get in...
"Stay with this young team - there are great days ahead." Coach Donahue tweet 2/19/2012 -
bcmurph
McGuinn Hall

Postby auggiebc on Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:59 pm

bcmurph {l Wrote}:According to Statsheet.com our fine performance today took our RPI from 36 to 43...

http://statsheet.com/mcb/rankings/RPI?id=2011-03-06

Of course, that's still better than Clemson or VT, but I'm thinking we're going to need 2 wins in Greensboro to get in...

unfortunately I agree with you about the 2 win thing in the ACCT. For some reason, we are getting lumped in with Clemson and VT even though our RPI, SoS and non-conference wins are much more impressive than either of those 2 teams.
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:53 pm

Wake 264. Ouchie.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:14 pm

This should be the monster thread for ACC and NCAA.

CBS Palm has BC in --on the bubble and Clemson and Vt in the playin games.

Interesting.

Notre Dame a 1 seed before the BE Tourney and St John's a 4.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby Logitano on Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:39 pm

We win our next 4 games and we are not only in the ncaa tournie we are a 6 or 7 seed. Suck on that knowledge! :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby branchinator on Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:42 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:We win our next 4 games and we are not only in the ncaa tournie we are a 6 or 7 seed. Suck on that knowledge! :ace

:toby says, "why win and create undue pressure on yourself when you can beat Wake, lose to Clemson in a close game, and make one of the play-in games?"
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby GodofBeasts94 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:01 pm

bcmurph {l Wrote}:According to Statsheet.com our fine performance today took our RPI from 36 to 43...

And our SOS dropped from 18 to 28. It's hard to imagine a team could be so bad that it has that kind of an impact on another team's standing. And we have to play them again! Despite winning our RPI will end up in the 50's and our SOS in the 30's.

My assumption is that two of the three teams are in -- and it all comes down to the tourney.

Clemson is 2-0 against us and VT; they're holding the 4 seed; despite their RPI of 59 and SOS of 87 -- and despite the low probability given them by statjunkie.org -- I think they have the upper hand.

But VT is in a world of hurt. They're a woeful 0-3 against Clemson and BC. Their RPI currently is 63 and their SOS is 87. They're the only team to play 6 games against Wake, GT and Virginia and they still only mustered 9 wins. Yes they beat Duke but they didn't finish the season out. I won't be surprised if they lose to GT Thursday; and then I wouldn't want to be Seth G.........

Bottom line, again, as we've been saying for weeks: win one and we're in. 20-12 with a 9-7 conference record and a strong enough RPI and SOS to wipe the shit stain that is Yale off our resume.
GodofBeasts94
Carney Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:17 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
branchinator {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:We win our next 4 games and we are not only in the ncaa tournie we are a 6 or 7 seed. Suck on that knowledge! :ace

:toby says, "why win and create undue pressure on yourself when you can beat Wake, lose to Clemson in a close game, and make one of the play-in games?"

plus, you gotta save the kids legs for st. patty's day... then it's JUST WIN 6 time

i wonder if butler is going to fuck up everyone's company pools THIS YEAR the way it did last year? we had some latina CSR pick schools at random and she crushed us all last year, very humbling....
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:20 pm

GodofBeasts94 {l Wrote}:

And our SOS dropped from 18 to 28. It's hard to imagine a team could be so bad that it has that kind of an impact on another team's standing. And we have to play them again! Despite winning our RPI will end up in the 50's and our SOS in the 30's.

My assumption is that two of the three teams are in -- and it all comes down to the tourney.

Clemson is 2-0 against us and VT; they're holding the 4 seed; despite their RPI of 59 and SOS of 87 -- and despite the low probability given them by statjunkie.org -- I think they have the upper hand.

But VT is in a world of hurt. They're a woeful 0-3 against Clemson and BC. Their RPI currently is 63 and their SOS is 87. They're the only team to play 6 games against Wake, GT and Virginia and they still only mustered 9 wins. Yes they beat Duke but they didn't finish the season out. I won't be surprised if they lose to GT Thursday; and then I wouldn't want to be Seth G.........

Bottom line, again, as we've been saying for weeks: win one and we're in. 20-12 with a 9-7 conference record

...and baring a miracle, you pretty much guarantee BC has to play a #3 or maybe even a #2 seed in the first game. If we don't draw BYU at 9am Thursday morning, I don't like our chances.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Return to Conte Forum