bc +9 at vpi

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: bc +9 at vpi

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:28 am

BC needs this win baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:37 am

Bottom Line..if BC loses...

.....BC would have to win at least 3 in the ACC Tourney and the last game versus WF-- or worse -- all 4 and the ACC Tourney.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:07 am

:hokie 71
:angrychicken 63

I'm giving us the benefit of the doubt even in that score. Unless VT has a letdown game, this gets ugly. We have absolutely no answer for Delaney, Allen or Davilla.

3 Keys to this Game:

(1) Start quick (no getting down 10-2 right off the bat)
(2) 40 minutes of defense (BC has been better at this but if they have one of those ugly lapses Delaney will just kill them)
(3) Shoot the lights out (see BC at the Comcast Center)

In closing:

Dear Biko Paris,

You haven't made a jump shot since the year 2010. If you could show up tonight and actually make shots, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:20 am

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:Bottom Line..if BC loses...

.....BC would have to win at least 3 in the ACC Tourney and the last game versus WF-- or worse -- all 4 and the ACC Tourney.

If BC loses tonight, we will be able to watch some fine NIT basketball games.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby bignick33 on Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:28 am

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:.....BC would have to win at least 3 in the ACC Tourney and the last game versus WF-- or worse -- all 4 and the ACC Tourney.

According to my research, if BC wins the ACC Tourney, they will make the NCAA Tourney.

Thoughts?
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:45 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:.....BC would have to win at least 3 in the ACC Tourney and the last game versus WF-- or worse -- all 4 and the ACC Tourney.

According to my research, if BC wins the ACC Tourney, they will make the NCAA Tourney.

Thoughts?

Enough TRE
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:47 am

BC will win this game. Then we will have to suffer through a miserable performance against Wake that I give a 50/50 chance at the ultimate WTF.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:54 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:BC will win this game. Then we will have to suffer through a miserable performance against Wake that I give a 50/50 chance at the ultimate WTF.

Look I want nothing better than for BC to win, but please entertain me how we're winning that building outside of VT just flat out face-planting.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:56 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:BC will win this game. Then we will have to suffer through a miserable performance against Wake that I give a 50/50 chance at the ultimate WTF.

Look I want nothing better than for BC to win, but please entertain me how we're winning that building outside of VT just flat out face-planting.

Because VT is mediocre, BC needs the game, VT is coming off of a huge high with major let down potential, BC is a very bad matchup for VT, and the building doesn't get to play.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Eagledom on Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:04 am

No idea how anyone who has ever seen wake this year could still predict that BC has a 50-50 shot at losing to them.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:07 am

Eagledom {l Wrote}:No idea how anyone who has ever seen wake this year could still predict that BC has a 50-50 shot at losing to them.

Because it has little to do with Wake's talent. No one would have predicted BC having a shot to lose to Yale, either.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Eagledom on Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:09 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:No idea how anyone who has ever seen wake this year could still predict that BC has a 50-50 shot at losing to them.

Because it has little to do with Wake's talent. No one would have predicted BC having a shot to lose to Yale, either.

Oh, that's right....its because you hate Donahue.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby bignick33 on Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:10 am

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Didn't Teddy just predict a win @ Virginia Tech??
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:14 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Didn't Teddy just predict a win @ Virginia Tech??

Pretty much. OJ's even piss poor at baiting.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:15 am

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Wake >>>>>> Yale ....Wake would run Yale out of their own building.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:16 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Because VT is mediocre, BC needs the game, VT is coming off of a huge high with major let down potential, BC is a very bad matchup for VT, and the building doesn't get to play.

Little John didn't get to play either but we don't seem to have a whole lot of success down there either.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby bignick33 on Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:23 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

I think you're underestimating Wake's suckitude. This is a team that lost to Stetson (8-22) by ten, Wintrop (11-16) by nine, UNC-Wilmington (13-17) by twelve, and Presbyterian (13-18) by two. They were stomped by thirty-five by Georgia Tech (although they did manage to avoid getting double-up, yay!!). It's a borderline miracle that they've won a single ACC game. As bad as losing to Yale at home was, losing to Wake at home would be equally bad.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:26 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Little John didn't get to play either but we don't seem to have a whole lot of success down there either.

Clemson is a terrible matchup for BC. VT is not. I like Avila, but he hasn't played well against BC, so their best players have been Delany and Allen, two guys that are primarily perimeter players. For whatever reason, BC has completely taken away Delaney (I'd go zone) and letting Allen get his hasn't hurt them.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:29 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

I think you're underestimating Wake's suckitude. This is a team that lost to Stetson (8-22) by ten, Wintrop (11-16) by nine, UNC-Wilmington (13-17) by twelve, and Presbyterian (13-18) by two. They were stomped by thirty-five by Georgia Tech (although they did manage to avoid getting double-up, yay!!). It's a borderline miracle that they've won a single ACC game. As bad as losing to Yale at home was, losing to Wake at home would be equally bad.

This, and the circumstances of coming off a win at VT with the front end of the bubble in sight, would make it the most epic WTF of all time, and right in the BC wheelhouse.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:36 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

This, and the circumstances of coming off a win at VT with the front end of the bubble in sight, would make it the most epic WTF of all time, and right in the BC wheelhouse.

I'm with you on this. Your scenario would be about five times worse than losing to Georgia Tech two years ago would have been when Image bailed us out with the buzzer-beater.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:14 pm

Allen is who I worry about tonight. Delaney didn't have a good night with an Iverson-esque 19 points (6-17). Outside of those two the entire team had 12 points.

DON'T

BE

AFRAID

OF

LANE'S

BROTHER
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BCMcG on Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:17 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Clemson is a terrible matchup for BC. VT is not. I like Avila, but he hasn't played well against BC, so their best players have been Delany and Allen, two guys that are primarily perimeter players. For whatever reason, BC has completely taken away Delaney (I'd go zone) and letting Allen get his hasn't hurt them.

Jeff Allen is most definitely not a perimeter player. In the last game against BC, he had 19 rebounds and about 10 dunks.
BCMcG
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:23 pm

BCMcG {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Clemson is a terrible matchup for BC. VT is not. I like Avila, but he hasn't played well against BC, so their best players have been Delany and Allen, two guys that are primarily perimeter players. For whatever reason, BC has completely taken away Delaney (I'd go zone) and letting Allen get his hasn't hurt them.

Jeff Allen is most definitely not a perimeter player. In the last game against BC, he had 19 rebounds and about 10 dunks.

Against BC, you would be a dominant post player. Allen is most definitely a perimeter player - he's a three/four hybrid at VT and has moved primarily from in the post to the perimeter in his time there. He's not a three point shooter, put he plays facing the basket primarily.

And rebounding doesn't tell me much - Reggie Jackson is BC's best rebounder.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby apbc12 on Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:35 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Did the game get moved to Magical Lane Stadium?

NOT THE KEYS!
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby auggiebc on Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:35 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}: Because VT is mediocre, BC needs the game, VT is coming off of a huge high with major let down potential, BC is a very bad matchup for VT, and the building doesn't get to play.

agreed. I have been saying this about VT all year. I'll give them credit for the Duke game...they needed a marquee win and they finally got one. But overall they've had the weakest conference schedule out of any ACC team by far (only played Duke, UNC, FSU, Miami and Clemson once each) which is making their conference record on paper look much better than it actually is......and they didn't beat anyone out of conference.

The good news is that the talking heads are really high on VT so a BC win tonite will go even further for us than it probably should.
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:47 pm

In the first BC-VT game, Allen beat up on BC with 25 (10-19) and 19, Delaney got his points (19) by taking a lot of shots (6-17), the other three starters combined for 12 points, and the three bench players combined for zero points in 29 minutes. On the BC side, no one played very well except Trapani (14 and 9), Reggie had one of his worst games (10 points, 4-13), but BC scraped through by being a little less incompetent on offense than VT. It's really a stretch to imagine that VT will play that badly in their own building, even with a major post-Duke adrenaline crash, so BC's only hope is to step up on offense, where there's a lot of room for improvement. Unfortunately, VT has been playing well since the first BC game (4-1, capped by the upset of Duke), while BC has been all over the place (2-3), so the 9 point spread is quite plausible. As noted repeatedly from multiple sources, this is a critical game for BC, but they're going to need an outstanding effort and some luck to pull it out.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby auggiebc on Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:33 pm

are we using this as the game thread? if not then someone (who has luck) start a new thread.

biggest game of the year. must-win game. tourney hopes on the line. what other cliches are applicable?
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:38 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

1) I agree VT is mediocre (but so are we)
2) I agree we need this game (but so do they)
3) Definite potential for a letdown game, but with the experiences they have had the last couple of years being on the wrong side of the bubble, I think they are going to be very motivated to lockup a bid, which they will do if they win their last two.
4) Not sure how bad a matchup we really are for them. We beat them by 2 on our home court and they seemed to matchup ok.
5) I know home court advantage is foreign to those of us who see a lot of games at Conte, but it actually does exist. Ask Duke - It's a tough place to play.

That said, I think 9 points is a lot and it will be close.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby Eagledom on Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:48 pm

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

1) I agree VT is mediocre (but so are we)
2) I agree we need this game (but so do they)
3) Definite potential for a letdown game, but with the experiences they have had the last couple of years being on the wrong side of the bubble, I think they are going to be very motivated to lockup a bid, which they will do if they win their last two.
4) Not sure how bad a matchup we really are for them. We beat them by 2 on our home court and they seemed to matchup ok.
5) I know home court advantage is foreign to those of us who see a lot of games at Conte, but it actually does exist. Ask Duke - It's a tough place to play.

That said, I think 9 points is a lot and it will be close.

you are debating this with a guy who thinks (1)BC will lose to Wake, (2) Rakim Sanders is an NBA lottery pick, and (3) Josh Southern is an outstanding Defensive player.....good luck.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby bcmurph on Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:08 pm

In the context of tonight's game, I'll say this about Southern;

In the first game the team was +11 with him on the court. VT scored 28 points in his 25 minutes and 28 points in the 15 minutes he was on the bench....Go Josh, Go Eagles...
"Stay with this young team - there are great days ahead." Coach Donahue tweet 2/19/2012 -
bcmurph
McGuinn Hall

Next

Return to Conte Forum