If only Conte were like this

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

If only Conte were like this

Postby ryrob on Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:35 pm

Watching the SDSU game yesterday, I was really entertained by their student section and the whole arena was buzzing. Here's a pretty good article on "The Show", their student section. Almost like Cameron but with way fewer nerds and way more :skank .
ryrob
Merkert Hall

Re: If only Conte were like this

Postby BCEagles25 on Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:16 pm

So? We have peas and carrots.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:35 pm

Have they always had great student support like that? I don't remember SDSU ever being good in hoops before.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:48 pm

They aren't that good at hoops now. They've lost to the only good team on their schedule, another overrated shitshow, twice.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Art Vandelay on Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:57 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:They aren't that good at hoops now. They've lost to the only good team on their schedule, another overrated shitshow, twice.

They are 25-2 and have an SOS of 26. Am I sensing a touch of east coast bias?
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:They aren't that good at hoops now. They've lost to the only good team on their schedule, another overrated shitshow, twice.

You're sensing a touch of "I've seen them enough times now to not have to rely on the numbers."
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:13 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:

You're sensing a touch of "I've seen them enough times now to not have to rely on the numbers."

I've seen SDSU play a couple of times...they're pretty good. They'd be about 12-4 in the ACC.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:22 pm

SDSU is essentially riding a rankings jump from a win over #12 (at the time) Gonzaga, a team that turned out to be just decent. While they have blown out some bad teams (including Cal), they also beat IUPUI by 2 and played the likes of Occidental. Their conference isn't bad, but it's not that good and the cream (BYU) handled them relatively easily twice. They had no answer for Fredette the first game, and couldn't stop the rest of the team in the second.

I'd say BYU is a decent team, that deserves a good seed, but is a major upset risk in the round of 32. SDSU is headed towards the dreaded 5-12 game with a matchup from the bottom of a power conference.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Art Vandelay on Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:45 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:SDSU is essentially riding a rankings jump from a win over #12 (at the time) Gonzaga, a team that turned out to be just decent. While they have blown out some bad teams (including Cal), they also beat IUPUI by 2 and played the likes of Occidental. Their conference isn't bad, but it's not that good and the cream (BYU) handled them relatively easily twice. They had no answer for Fredette the first game, and couldn't stop the rest of the team in the second.

I'd say BYU is a decent team, that deserves a good seed, but is a major upset risk in the round of 32. SDSU is headed towards the dreaded 5-12 game with a matchup from the bottom of a power conference.

I agree they are probably a little high when looking at the numbers, but they still are a pretty good team that is liklely going to finish 27-2. They would easily be a top 4 team in the ACC this year (not that that is saying much this season). Lunardi has them a 3 right now and that is likely where they will land assuming no major meltdowns between now and then.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCMcG on Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:15 pm

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:Have they always had great student support like that? I don't remember SDSU ever being good in hoops before.

They haven't. Gameday did a profile of them earlier this season and, when he took over, Steve Fisher had to walk around campus handing out free tickets to try to get people to show up. They're no different from the fairweather fans in Chestnut Hill.
BCMcG
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:36 pm

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:SDSU is essentially riding a rankings jump from a win over #12 (at the time) Gonzaga, a team that turned out to be just decent. While they have blown out some bad teams (including Cal), they also beat IUPUI by 2 and played the likes of Occidental. Their conference isn't bad, but it's not that good and the cream (BYU) handled them relatively easily twice. They had no answer for Fredette the first game, and couldn't stop the rest of the team in the second.

I agree they are probably a little high when looking at the numbers, but they still are a pretty good team that is liklely going to finish 27-2. They would easily be a top 4 team in the ACC this year (not that that is saying much this season). Lunardi has them a 3 right now and that is likely where they will land assuming no major meltdowns between now and then.

I don't see them as a 3 seed. Doesn't that conference have a tourney? That's one more loss, to the same team. They'll end the season ranked around 14-15 and get a 5 seed, maybe a 4.

Saying that they would be top 4 in the ACC is a HUGE stretch, but even so, means jackshit. There is only one real team in the ACC this year, and even they aren't spectacular without Irving.

P&S - that gaudy record means nothing. They have played Gonzaga, St. Marys and BYU (two losses) as their only legit opponents.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Art Vandelay on Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:48 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:

I don't see them as a 3 seed. Doesn't that conference have a tourney? That's one more loss, to the same team. They'll end the season ranked around 14-15 and get a 5 seed, maybe a 4.

Saying that they would be top 4 in the ACC is a HUGE stretch, but even so, means jackshit. There is only one real team in the ACC this year, and even they aren't spectacular without Irving.

P&S - that gaudy record means nothing. They have played Gonzaga, St. Marys and BYU (two losses) as their only legit opponents.

Losing to BYU, who Lunardi has as a 1 seed right now, is not going to drop them much. As I said top 4 in the ACC is not saying much, but I don't see it a much of a stretch. They also have one more shot at a marquis win if they get BYU on the conference tourney final. BYU is a good team and losing to them is nothing to be ashamed of and no matter who SDSU played they beat the teams on the schedule. I know they didn't play powerhouses like Yale and Harvard, but still.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:51 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:

UNLV twice are good wins as well. They have an RPI of 26
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby bignick33 on Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:52 pm

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:

Losing to BYU, who Lunardi has as a 1 seed right now, is not going to drop them much. As I said top 4 in the ACC is not saying much, but I don't see it a much of a stretch. They also have one more shot at a marquis win if they get BYU on the conference tourney final. BYU is a good team and losing to them is nothing to be ashamed of and no matter who SDSU played they beat the teams on the schedule. I know they didn't play powerhouses like Yale and Harvard, but still.

I think TW's point is that they haven't beaten a top 25 (RPI) opponent this year. The two games against BYU were a missed opportunity to prove that they are a top 10 caliber team.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:57 pm

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:

You are using apples to compare to apples to make a point about oranges. Using BYU as your touchstone is absurd, and they are largely where they are because they beat SDSU twice. That's circular reasoning that is unsupported.

No idea what the shot at BC is about. BC is not a good team. SDSU is better than BC, though it would be a good matchup.

If SDSU is a 1 or a 2, they have a shot at two tourney wins just because of seeding. So would BC if they ran up an absurd conference record, and got one of those seeds. I don't hear anyone espousing vermont for a #3 seed.

By the way, a "marquis" is British royalty.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Art Vandelay on Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:00 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:

I think TW's point is that they haven't beaten a top 25 (RPI) opponent this year. The two games against BYU were a missed opportunity to prove that they are a top 10 caliber team.

And my point is they beat UNLV twice who is 26th in the RPI and beat everyone else they played other than BYU. I agree they missed an opportunity to split with BYU and pick up a really good win, but that does not mean they are not a quality team. It means they have trouble with a team projected as a number 1 seed who has the best scorer in the country playing for them. I am not sying SDSU is winning a national championship or making a final four, but they are a pretty good team in my opinion.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:07 pm

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:

And my point is they beat UNLV twice who is 26th in the RPI and beat everyone else they played other than BYU. I agree they missed an opportunity to split with BYU and pick up a really good win, but that does not mean they are not a quality team. It means they have trouble with a team projected as a number 1 seed who has the best scorer in the country playing for them. I am not sying SDSU is winning a national championship or making a final four, but they are a pretty good team in my opinion.

My main point is that I have seen them play Gonzaga, St. Mary's, UNLV and BYU twice (thank you awesome cable package) and I didn't see a very good team on the floor. They basically beat teams up inside with their forwards, and have one guy on the roster over 6'9'', who doesn't play much. You can get away with a forward oriented team averaging like 6'7'' in that conference. It's like a team with one guard and 3 Corey Rajis. But guards win tournament games. Gay will have to step it up big time.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Art Vandelay on Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:08 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:

You are using apples to compare to apples to make a point about oranges. Using BYU as your touchstone is absurd, and they are largely where they are because they beat SDSU twice. That's circular reasoning that is unsupported.

No idea what the shot at BC is about. BC is not a good team. SDSU is better than BC, though it would be a good matchup.

If SDSU is a 1 or a 2, they have a shot at two tourney wins just because of seeding. So would BC if they ran up an absurd conference record, and got one of those seeds. I don't hear anyone espousing vermont for a #3 seed.

I admit the shot at BC was uncalled for but I am still not over being 0-2 against the Ivy league.

I am not using BYU as my touchstone, I am simply replying to the comment that if they lose to BYU in the conf tourney they will drop a bunch. I just don't see that having a huge impact. Whether or not BYU is overrated isn't the point. BYU is highly rated and how they got there is irrelevant. Losing to them does not hurt SDSU much.

I guess your vermont reference is becuase they lost to BYU, but they also lost 6 other games this year including Maine and BU so I am not sure how that is relevant. I don't see SDSU getting a 1 or 2. A 3 is likely, maybe a 4 depending on how other teams do and that is probably right about what they deserve.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:15 pm

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:

I admit the shot at BC was uncalled for but I am still not over being 0-2 against the Ivy league.

I am not using BYU as my touchstone, I am simply replying to the comment that if they lose to BYU in the conf tourney they will drop a bunch. I just don't see that having a huge impact. Whether or not BYU is overrated isn't the point. BYU is highly rated and how they got there is irrelevant. Losing to them does not hurt SDSU much.

I guess your vermont reference is becuase they lost to BYU, but they also lost 6 other games this year including Maine and BU so I am not sure how that is relevant. I don't see SDSU getting a 1 or 2. A 3 is likely, maybe a 4 depending on how other teams do and that is probably right about what they deserve.

I could have used Utah State or Arizona. They should be 3 seeds!
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:20 pm

For the record, Utah State had a better performance than SDSU against BYU, beat St. Mary's like SDSU, and their other two losses are Georgetown and a WTF to Idaho (happens). They are barely scratching the top 25, would probably be an 8 or 9 seed, and if they don't win their tourney, will be on the bubble.

Their conference is not as good as SDSU's but jesus, why the descrepancy in ranking there? Probably because no one was jacking up an unranked BYU team at the time they played them. Everything is relative.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Art Vandelay on Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:24 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:

I could have used Utah State or Arizona. They should be 3 seeds!

Lunardi has Arizona as a 5 seed anyway so its not too far off but they have 6 losses so not exactly an apt comparison. Utah State would work well since they have losses to BYU and Gtown, but they lost to Idaho so they are not quite the same. I get the point you are trying to make, though you don't really have a good comparison. I just don't see how a team in a non BCS conference would ever have a chance to get a decent seed with your logic. Say what you will about RPI but SOS etc are factored into it and when you end up at #4 you did something right.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:38 pm

SOS is faulty in it's very nature, as it is based on opponents and opponent's opponents winning percentage. There is no effort whatsoever to distinguish between a 17-11 (8-8) team in the Big East and one in the WAC. It overweights early season nonconference schedules, and essentially renders moot the strength of you conference (granted, not all teams have balanced conference schedules, but bear with me, the difference is slight) as the total for the first two thirds as it relates to conference play essentially balances out to .500 in every conference.

That's why I hate statistics. I can turn on the TV and watch SDSU and compare them to a team like Wisconsin or Louisville right behind them and see the difference. It is obvious.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby ryrob on Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:31 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:all of my posts in this thread

ryrob
Merkert Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:45 am

For what it's worth, BYU's record against high-majors is 1-1 (beat Arizona 87-65(!), lost to UCLA 86-79, both on neutral floors); their only other loss was to New Mexico in The Pit, 86-77. They play New Mexico in Provo tomorrow night. If they win out, they might squeeze into a 2 seed, given the shortage of dominant high-majors.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:53 am

ryrob {l Wrote}:

I wasn't doing any baiting in this thread. I honestly think SDSU is a decent, but not great team that doesn't play anyone other than a pretty good midmajor (that actually deserves a 3 seed and plays some decent teams) and has major personnel matchup nightmares that will kill them in the dance.

If I got baited, then I am fine with that. It is an interesting discussion. What do you do with midmajors that don't play anyone when they take care of business all season, but have obvious flaws with their squad that you can project to be issues when they play teams from the big conferences?

In truth, calling a team a 3 seed is saying that they are likely for the Sweet 16. Calling them a 2 seed is saying that they are likely for the Elite 8 and a Final Four contender. If you were on the selection committee, would you consider SDSU a likelihood for even the Sweet 16? BYU, yes - they should be a 3 or a 4 (right now). SDSU - not so much. I'd have them slotted for a 5 or 6, which would put them squarely in first round danger zone.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Art Vandelay on Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:29 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
ryrob {l Wrote}:

I wasn't doing any baiting in this thread. I honestly think SDSU is a decent, but not great team that doesn't play anyone other than a pretty good midmajor (that actually deserves a 3 seed and plays some decent teams) and has major personnel matchup nightmares that will kill them in the dance.

If I got baited, then I am fine with that. It is an interesting discussion. What do you do with midmajors that don't play anyone when they take care of business all season, but have obvious flaws with their squad that you can project to be issues when they play teams from the big conferences?

In truth, calling a team a 3 seed is saying that they are likely for the Sweet 16. Calling them a 2 seed is saying that they are likely for the Elite 8 and a Final Four contender. If you were on the selection committee, would you consider SDSU a likelihood for even the Sweet 16? BYU, yes - they should be a 3 or a 4 (right now). SDSU - not so much. I'd have them slotted for a 5 or 6, which would put them squarely in first round danger zone.

It is an interesting discussion and I agree it is hard to judge a team like SDSU against a team with a worse record that plays in a major conference. I think an important point is that whether the numbers are flawed or not (and I agree the SOS and RPI calcs are not perfect) the committee uses them. So like it or not an RPI of 4 with an SOS of 26 gets a pretty high seed. They are also still in the top 10 so less than a 3 would be a hard sell. It's also interesting that you note that making them a 3 is saying they are likely for the sweet 16. In many cases that is a self fulfilling prophecy since the high seed gives them an easier path.

I saw Lunardi and debating this with Gottleib this morning. Lunardi says BYU is on the #1 line and its not close, but Gottlieb is more in your court and thought Duke should be a #1 over them. I guess this is what makes basketball better than football when it somes to crowning a champ. At some point the teams have to play whereas in fottball this type of debate would determine who even gets a shot.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:13 pm

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
ryrob {l Wrote}:

It is an interesting discussion and I agree it is hard to judge a team like SDSU against a team with a worse record that plays in a major conference. I think an important point is that whether the numbers are flawed or not (and I agree the SOS and RPI calcs are not perfect) the committee uses them. So like it or not an RPI of 4 with an SOS of 26 gets a pretty high seed. They are also still in the top 10 so less than a 3 would be a hard sell. It's also interesting that you note that making them a 3 is saying they are likely for the sweet 16. In many cases that is a self fulfilling prophecy since the high seed gives them an easier path.

I saw Lunardi and debating this with Gottleib this morning. Lunardi says BYU is on the #1 line and its not close, but Gottlieb is more in your court and thought Duke should be a #1 over them. I guess this is what makes basketball better than football when it somes to crowning a champ. At some point the teams have to play whereas in fottball this type of debate would determine who even gets a shot.

It's kind of crazy that they're debating whether to put BYU or Duke on the #1 line, because although BYU is a solid team, even a good team, I have no doubt that Nolan Smith would eat Jimmer for lunch head-to-head. And that's BYU's best matchup.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby BC923 on Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:59 pm

If BYU gets a one seed and whoever comes out of the OVC gets a 16, I'd bet on the OVC team, maybe only 15% chance they win but i think its a better chance than ever and the odds would be spectacular.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby weinerdog on Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:15 pm

BYU is surely no longer a safe #1. I think it's fair to speculate that SDSU can beat them in the conference tourney. So THEN what do you do with them? Reward them? Discount the win and torch BYU's seed along with SDSU? The key throwaway comment in this thread is the word "win". Other than losing to an at-the-time-worthy-of-Top-5-or-10 BYU, SDSU has been perfect. Sure they've played a lot of other teams not much (or any) better than, say, Yale, but they've beaten ALL of those lesser squads, unlike just about everybody else in the country. I think they're a Top-4 seed, and will play to it in March Madness.
"...and, more importantly, me."
--Gene DeFilippo, January 7, 2009.
weinerdog
McGuinn Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:48 pm

I don't think BYU is a 1 team anymore. They had limited games to prove that they're still a top team despite the loss of Davies, and I now wouldn't be surprised if they drop below a 2 as well.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Return to Conte Forum