Do we root for or against VT?

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Do we root for or against VT?

Postby bcnyceagle on Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:05 pm

A loss to VT knocks us out of the tourney anyway. A sweep of a VT team that beat Duke makes us look better, right?
bcnyceagle
Cushing Hall

Re: Do we root for or against VT?

Postby bcmurph on Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:16 pm

I think we root against VT and keep hopes for a bye in the ACC tourney alive...We'll just have to take care of Duke ourselves in the semi's... ;)
"Stay with this young team - there are great days ahead." Coach Donahue tweet 2/19/2012 -
bcmurph
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:58 pm

against....go duke
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:09 am

For. That gives us a really nice win.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby bcbcbcbcbc4444 on Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:13 am

against. Now there's no way BC gets in over VT even if BC wins on tuesday.
bcbcbcbcbc4444
Carney Hall

Postby MattTheEagle on Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:30 am

We definitely wanted to root against VT. However, the fact that they won will not be a killer IF AND ONLY IF we beat VT on tuesday. We essentially needed to do this anyways, but now if we get the sweep against VT it will look extremely good on our resume why we should get in over them and it will likely be considered another quality win.

On a sidenote Baylor beat Texas A&M which is really bad for us. Also, Texas lost to Colorado. These were very bad events in terms of bubble hopes.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:18 am

MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:We definitely wanted to root againstVT??? However, the fact that they won will not be a killer IF AND ONLY IF we beat VT on tuesday. We essentially needed to do this anyways, but now if we get the sweep against VT it will look extremely good on our resume why we should get in over them and it will likely be considered another quality win.

On a sidenote Baylor beat Texas A&M which is really bad for us. Also, Texas lost to Colorado. These were very bad events in terms of bubble hopes.

Maybe its me? I was pulling for VT so if we win we look better??????? Hello???? The answer was FOR VT -----since it made them a NCAA bid team and we can beat them twice and.....

You got it half right.... we need to BEAT VT...to trigger BC getting back on the bubble radar or near??? If we upend VT and ---they beat Duke last night-- and we beat them twice??? --- and VT is now in according to ESPN and Vitale???

....and then BC wins its last 2 ACC regular season games and we win one game in the ACC Tourney, then I think we may have an outside shot?

BUT >>>> as we all thought ----- We win the next 2 regular season --- with 2 wins versus VT, and two wins in the ACC Tournament -----which I thought was dead nuts impossible and still may be after Tuesday night...then BC will get in..

Finishing strong!!

...and how can the committee not let BC in beating VT twice and 2 ACC wins in the Tourney?

19-11 9-7
2-1 ACC TOURNEY
21-12 FINAL == A seed!

At 9-7 BC has a real longshot chance at a huge tie for the 4th seed and a bye. I am now guessing maybe 5th or 6th --which is great since GT and WF are lousy... then maybe a re-match with UNC as a bye seed would be good.

Beating a stinky Virginia gave BC hope... but the GAME OF THE YEAR, make no mistake is VT, they lose to VT and maybe win 2 in the ACC Tourney..they still may be out!!! YIKES!!

GOTTA WIN 4 in a row now.

To me the whole season rides on beating VT on Tuesday to get back in the mix.... AND.... Its all about Reggie Jackson the QB --just like football. Reggie Jackson as we have seen a few times, when he is playing super, BC is in any ballgame.

The RJ BC Basketball Travelling Show and train pulls into Blacksburg Tuesday. Just win by 1 point.
Last edited by BCEagle74 on Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:18 am

bcnyceagle {l Wrote}:A loss to VT knocks us out of the tourney anyway. A sweep of a VT team that beat Duke makes us look better, right?

You and Murph are right.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby bcmurph on Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:39 am

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:
bcnyceagle {l Wrote}:A loss to VT knocks us out of the tourney anyway. A sweep of a VT team that beat Duke makes us look better, right?

You and Murph are right.

Thanks, but I think we said different things...However, I think we might have stumbled upon the best of both worlds.

We win out 9-7
VT loses to US and Clemson 9-7
Clemson loses to Duke, Beats VT 9-7
MD loses to NC, MIA or UVA 9-7

In any multi-team tie we would get the tie-breaker and bye in the first round...
"Stay with this young team - there are great days ahead." Coach Donahue tweet 2/19/2012 -
bcmurph
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:15 am

Unless VT has a letdown game, we're going to get destroyed by that team in that building. Them winning didn't do us any good also because it pushes us towards a 7 seed in the ACCT. It all comes down to Tuesday.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:31 am

I was thnking about this but does it matter? Isn't 2 wins h2h more important than 1 marquee win?
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BCEagles25 on Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:43 am

...Fuck! Why did we have to lose to Miami? ...And Yale??
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:11 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Unless VT has a letdown game...

i rooted for vpi for two reasons last night:

(1) they were playing dook

(b) i anticipate a let down game

we'll see if this very scientific methodology now works as i hope

That's fair before the only way we're winning in the magical Cassell Collilseum is a gigantic letdown. Y'all know that Cassell is right next to the magical Lane Stadium...that's a problem.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:26 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:I was thnking about this but does it matter? Isn't 2 wins h2h more important than 1 marquee win?

No, committee likes to know you can beat someone or make a run.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby branchinator on Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:36 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Unless VT has a letdown game...

i rooted for vpi for two reasons last night:

(1) they were playing dook

(b) i anticipate a let down game

we'll see if this very scientific methodology now works as i hope

I don't anticipate a letdown game on Tuesday for VTech. It's their Senior Day and only BC has letdowns on Senior Day.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:38 pm

BC will beat VT. I am worried more about Wake. Sucks, but true.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BC923 on Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:44 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:BC will beat VT. I am worried more about Wake. Sucks, but true.

i said 19-11 preseason, and ill stick to it, we'll win out. But obviously at the peak of the season (10-2) or something I was drinking :koolaid and thought we could get 23 wins or something.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:46 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:BC will beat VT. I am worried more about Wake. Sucks, but true.

Weren't you the one saying VT has 3 NBA type players? They also just beat Duke at home? Unless you're thinking letdown (which I am), we get stomped.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:24 pm

You just lost your right to call any person(s) a "moron, idiot, ninny and/or buffoon" and I am revoking your right to use the term "sophomoric."
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:29 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:

You just lost your right to call any person(s) a "moron, idiot, ninny and/or buffoon" and I am revoking your right to use the term "sophomoric."

You missed my point. Not a surprise.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:54 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:

+1 I really don't understand how you think we're winning on Tuesday.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:24 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:

Hmmmm. Was your point that "BC will beat VT (19-8) [on the road, 9pm game.] I am more worried about Wake (8-21) [at home, senior day]"?
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:55 am

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:

Hmmmm. Was your point that "BC will beat VT (19-8) [on the road, 9pm game.] I am more worried about Wake (8-21) [at home, senior day]"?

You dont follow BC very closely, do you. Modus Operendi.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCEagles25 on Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:19 am

I know VaTech is prone to a big let-down after a huge win and I know that BC isn't above losing on senior day.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:47 am

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:I know VaTech is prone to a big let-down after a huge win and I know that BC isn't above losing on senior day.

Brilliant analysis all the way around.... :violin
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby shockdoct on Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:00 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:I know VaTech is prone to a big let-down after a huge win and I know that BC isn't above losing on senior day.

Brilliant analysis all the way around.... :violin

Do you like BC Basketball?
shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Postby bignick33 on Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:05 pm

An irony of our game against Virginia Tech this week is that we lose, we'll gain a top 50 RPI win (our first game against Va Tech) as Va Tech is currently just out of the top 50. That being said, I look at this game as effectively being a play-out game for whichever team loses.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:19 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:An irony of our game against Virginia Tech this week is that we lose, we'll gain a top 50 RPI win (our first game against Va Tech) as Va Tech is currently just out of the top 50. That being said, I look at this game as effectively being a play-out game for whichever team loses.

i think their win against dook brings them above 50 rpi and punches their ticket for a first round ncaa loss

Their RPI is currently 53. The Duke win is great, but they don't have a top-50 road win. In my opinion, they still have some work to do. Their resume isn't really much different was than it was in the last three of four years when they were left out.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:32 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:An irony of our game against Virginia Tech this week is that we lose, we'll gain a top 50 RPI win (our first game against Va Tech) as Va Tech is currently just out of the top 50. That being said, I look at this game as effectively being a play-out game for whichever team loses.

i think their win against dook brings them above 50 rpi and punches their ticket for a first round ncaa loss

Their RPI is currently 53. The Duke win is great, but they don't have a top-50 road win. In my opinion, they still have some work to do. Their resume isn't really much different was than it was in the last three of four years when they were left out.

True, which makes it even funnier that Dickie told Seth in the postgame that they were definitely in. However, they were in the last couple out the times they were left out and with the bigger field, I have to agree with TREE that they are in at this point.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:13 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

True, which makes it even funnier that Dickie told Seth in the postgame that they were definitely in. However, they were in the last couple out the times they were left out and with the bigger field, I have to agree with TREE that they are in at this point.

Losses to BC and Clemson will put them right back out of the field. Tuesday isn't a play out game for VT. Unless we have a finals of the ACCT run in us, it's a play-out game for BC.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Next

Return to Conte Forum