Do we root for or against VT?

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Do we root for or against VT?

Postby RedBaron67 on Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:28 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:An irony of our game against Virginia Tech this week is that we lose, we'll gain a top 50 RPI win (our first game against Va Tech) as Va Tech is currently just out of the top 50. That being said, I look at this game as effectively being a play-out game for whichever team loses.

i think their win against dook brings them above 50 rpi and punches their ticket for a first round ncaa loss

Their RPI is currently 53. The Duke win is great, but they don't have a top-50 road win. In my opinion, they still have some work to do. Their resume isn't really much different was than it was in the last three of four years when they were left out.

True, which makes it even funnier that Dickie told Seth in the postgame that they were definitely in. However, they were in the last couple out the times they were left out and with the bigger field, I have to agree with TREE that they are in at this point.

Losses to BC and Clemson will put them right back out of the field. Tuesday isn't a play out game for VT. Unless we have a finals of the ACCT run in us, it's a play-out game for BC.

The practical goal to aim at is 20 wins and a .500 conference record; no ACC team has ever hit this target and failed to get into the NCAA tournament. VT needs to beat either BC OR Clemson OR win their first round tournament game to get there; BC needs to beat VT AND Wake Forest AND win their first round tournament game, or else beat Wake and reach the ACCT championship game. As tough as it looks, beating VT is probably the easier route; we have to hope their adrenaline really crashes after the Duke game.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:56 pm

RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:The practical goal to aim at is 20 wins and a .500 conference record; no ACC team has ever hit this target and failed to get into the NCAA tournament.

Wanna try again?
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:46 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:The practical goal to aim at is 20 wins and a .500 conference record; no ACC team has ever hit this target and failed to get into the NCAA tournament.

Wanna try again?

Over the last five years or so, the exact opposite might be true. I don't think a .500 or below ACC team has made the NCAAs. Maybe there has been one or even two, but bottom line, a .500 conference record in what has been a mediocre ACC gives you about a 20% chance at best.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:53 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Wanna try again?

Over the last five years or so, the exact opposite might be true. I don't think a .500 or below ACC team has made the NCAAs. Maybe there has been one or even two, but bottom line, a .500 conference record in what has been a mediocre ACC gives you about a 20% chance at best.

VT, last season. Irony, since RedBaron talks about VT.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:59 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Wanna try again?

Ok. I guess I was trying to block out last year's college basketball season.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:04 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Wanna try again?

No, I meant you were correct. VT last season, 10-6, 22 wins. NIT.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby RedBaron67 on Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:28 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Wanna try again?

No, I meant you were correct. VT last season, 10-6, 22 wins. NIT.

I apologize for my error. It seems that I haven't appreciated just how far downhill the ACC has gone. Still, if BC gets to 20 wins, we could slide in on RPI, but we definitely need a quality win like this road game at VT to do it. (It's also worth noting that Harvard no longer looks like such a bad loss; they're 21-5. Amaker may be building them into a serious local annoyance.)
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby Logitano on Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:56 am

I guess that it is going against the grain around these parts but I am rooting for BC against VT tonight! :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:21 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:I guess that it is going against the grain around these parts but I am rooting for BC against VT tonight! :ace

Despite some appearances to the contrary, we really are BC fans here, but the team's recent inconsistency (2-3 since the first VT game) has our morbid side in the ascendant.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:25 pm

RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:I guess that it is going against the grain around these parts but I am rooting for BC against VT tonight! :ace

Despite some appearances to the contrary, we really are BC fans here, but the team's recent inconsistency (2-3 since the first VT game) has our morbid side in the ascendant.

I am actually rooting for BC to lose so that they don't get a chance at a bye and thus can pick up an extra win in the ACC tourney.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby RedBaron67 on Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:29 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:

I am actually rooting for BC to lose so that they don't get a chance at a bye and thus can pick up an extra win in the ACC tourney.

Any possible chance BC has for a bye depends on BC, VT, Clemson, and Maryland finishing in a four-way tie for fourth place; I have no idea who gets the bye in that case. You might as well root for BC tonight; even if they get a bye, beating VT is still the easier path to an NCAA bid.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:54 pm

RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:

Any possible chance BC has for a bye depends on BC, VT, Clemson, and Maryland finishing in a four-way tie for fourth place; I have no idea who gets the bye in that case. You might as well root for BC tonight; even if they get a bye, beating VT is still the easier path to an NCAA bid.

That wooshing sound was sarcasm and irony passing over your noggin.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Previous

Return to Conte Forum