ACC BYE

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

ACC BYE

Postby MilitantEagle on Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:59 pm

BC wins last two.
VT loses to Duke and BC and beats Clemson.
Clemson loses to Duke and VT
Maryland loses at least one of its final three games.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Re: ACC BYE

Postby 31southst on Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:09 pm

Would it be better to get a bye or be the 5/6 seed and (hopefully) be able to notch one more win?
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:14 pm

31southst {l Wrote}:Would it be better to get a bye or be the 5/6 seed and (hopefully) be able to notch one more win?

I'd rather have the best shot at winning the ACCT for two reasons: 1) Winning the ACC is good and 2) I think we may need to win the ACCT or at least get into the ACC Championship game to get a bid. Also, I don't think a win over GT or WF in the first round of the tourney will do anything for us in terms of the resume. I would rather be rested when we play Clemson or VT or Maryland on the second day.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby StayBlessed on Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:40 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}:Would it be better to get a bye or be the 5/6 seed and (hopefully) be able to notch one more win?

I'd rather have the best shot at winning the ACCT for two reasons: 1) Winning the ACC is good and 2) I think we may need to win the ACCT or at least get into the ACC Championship game to get a bid. Also, I don't think a win over GT or WF in the first round of the tourney will do anything for us in terms of the resume. I would rather be rested when we play Clemson or VT or Maryland on the second day.

And eliminates the chance for a bad loss against WF or GT...that would definitely bust our bubble!
StayBlessed
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:18 pm

just finish in the top 6. 7 or below is certain death to Carolina.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby bcmurph on Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:12 pm

Bye...Bye

Edit...jumped the gun
"Stay with this young team - there are great days ahead." Coach Donahue tweet 2/19/2012 -
bcmurph
McGuinn Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:36 pm

UPDATED:

BC gets a bye (I think) if:

BC beats WF;
Clemson loses @Duke and beats VT; and
Maryland wins @Miami and beats UVA.

It's possible...
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:38 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:UPDATED:

BC beats WF;

It's possible...

Wont mind Wake a 2nd time. It is only #1 I am worried about. No bye needed.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:41 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

BC beats WF;

It's possible...

Perhaps, but to win the ACC, I think the bye is big. Although running into Duke in the semifinals is not ideal. Getting a six seed, playing FSU on Friday and UNC on Saturday could be a better situation.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:42 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

BC beats WF;

It's possible...

Perhaps, but to win the ACC, I think the bye is big. Although running into Duke in the semifinals is not ideal. Getting a six seed, playing FSU on Friday and UNC on Saturday could be a better situation.

Fair. Like your take, but I am more worried about NCAA. ACC tourney win is a pipe dream.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:01 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

BC beats WF;

It's possible...

We've now eliminated the possibility of a 6 seed unless you think Clemson is beating Duke I believe.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby auggiebc on Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:43 am

If the goal is to get to the big dance, then the best scenario that could play out is for Clemson to lose at Duke and again at home to VT (this would burst Clemson's buble which is good for us, and at the same time it would strengthen our RPI because of VT beating them on their home floor). Then we beat Wake this weekend and again in the ACCT as the 5th seed. Then it makes the selection committee's job very easy; they could easily justify taking 5 ACC teams without a problem. We'd have 20 wins, an RPI in the 30's, and a top 20 SoS.
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:05 am

auggiebc {l Wrote}:If the goal is to get to the big dance, then the best scenario that could play out is for Clemson to lose at Duke and again at home to VT (this would burst Clemson's buble which is good for us, and at the same time it would strengthen our RPI because of VT beating them on their home floor). Then we beat Wake this weekend and again in the ACCT as the 5th seed. Then it makes the selection committee's job very easy; they could easily justify taking 5 ACC teams without a problem. We'd have 20 wins, an RPI in the 30's, and a top 20 SoS.

Then we force the selection committee's hand by beating VT in the second round, getting us to 21 wins and 3-0 vs. VT - no way they could take VT and not us after that kind of domination. They would have to take only 3 ACC teams or take us.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby bignick33 on Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:07 am

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:
auggiebc {l Wrote}:If the goal is to get to the big dance, then the best scenario that could play out is for Clemson to lose at Duke and again at home to VT (this would burst Clemson's buble which is good for us, and at the same time it would strengthen our RPI because of VT beating them on their home floor). Then we beat Wake this weekend and again in the ACCT as the 5th seed. Then it makes the selection committee's job very easy; they could easily justify taking 5 ACC teams without a problem. We'd have 20 wins, an RPI in the 30's, and a top 20 SoS.

Then we force the selection committee's hand by beating VT in the second round, getting us to 21 wins and 3-0 vs. VT - no way they could take VT and not us after that kind of domination. They would have to take only 3 ACC teams or take us.

V-Tech isn't getting selected over us unless something catastrophic happens. That's already in the bag.

My guess is that V-Tech beats Clemson this weekend, and both teams dance.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:10 am

BC beats WF;

It's possible...

The scenario you're positing is a four-way tie at 9-7 (BC, Clemson, Maryland, and VT) in which head-to-head records are scrambled (BC over Maryland and VT, Clemson over BC and VT, Maryland over Clemson, VT over Maryland). If won-lost record within the tie group is the second tiebreaker, then BC (4-1) gets the bye over Clemson (2-1), VT (2-3), and Maryland (1-4). This is the ONLY way BC can get the bye. If VT beats Clemson, they get the bye at 10-6 and BC is seeded either 5 (if Clemson loses at Duke) or 6 (if Clemson wins at Duke) -- assuming, of course, that BC beats WF. If Clemson beats both Duke (unlikely) and VT, THEY get the bye at 10-6 and BC (again, assuming a win over WF) is seeded 5. If Maryland doesn't win out and Clemson loses to Duke and beats VT, then Clemson gets the bye from the three-way tie and again BC (with a win over WF) is seeded 5. All this would be too much of a headache to think about if BC weren't on the NCAA bubble.
Last edited by RedBaron67 on Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:30 pm

RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:

BC beats WF;

It's possible...

The scenario you're positing is a four-way tie at 9-7 (BC, Clemson, Maryland, and VT) in which head-to-head records are scrambled (BC over Maryland and VT, Clemson over BC and VT, Maryland over Clemson). If won-lost record within the tie group is the second tiebreaker, then BC (4-1) gets the bye over Clemson (2-1), VT (2-3), and Maryland (1-4). This is the ONLY way BC can get the bye. If VT beats Clemson, they get the bye at 10-6 and BC is seeded either 5 (if Clemson loses at Duke) or 6 (if Clemson wins at Duke) -- assuming, of course, that BC beats WF. If Clemson beats both Duke (unlikely) and VT, THEY get the bye at 10-6 and BC (again, assuming a win over WF) is seeded 5. If Maryland doesn't win out and Clemson loses to Duke and beats VT, then Clemson gets the bye from the three-way tie and again BC (with a win over WF) is seeded 5. All this would be too much of a headache to think about if BC weren't on the NCAA bubble.

Right so the 6th seed is out of the question here. Playing Wake isn't going to do us any SOS help twice in a week.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:56 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:

BC beats WF;

It's possible...

The scenario you're positing is a four-way tie at 9-7 (BC, Clemson, Maryland, and VT) in which head-to-head records are scrambled (BC over Maryland and VT, Clemson over BC and VT, Maryland over Clemson). If won-lost record within the tie group is the second tiebreaker, then BC (4-1) gets the bye over Clemson (2-1), VT (2-3), and Maryland (1-4). This is the ONLY way BC can get the bye. If VT beats Clemson, they get the bye at 10-6 and BC is seeded either 5 (if Clemson loses at Duke) or 6 (if Clemson wins at Duke) -- assuming, of course, that BC beats WF. If Clemson beats both Duke (unlikely) and VT, THEY get the bye at 10-6 and BC (again, assuming a win over WF) is seeded 5. If Maryland doesn't win out and Clemson loses to Duke and beats VT, then Clemson gets the bye from the three-way tie and again BC (with a win over WF) is seeded 5. All this would be too much of a headache to think about if BC weren't on the NCAA bubble.

Right so the 6th seed is out of the question here. Playing Wake isn't going to do us any SOS help twice in a week.

A 6 seed isn't ABSOLUTELY excluded (see above), but one assumes that both the Dukies and the Cameron Crazies will be semi-berserk after the VT loss (especially since VT followed it by crashing against BC); the possibility of a Clemson upset looks VERY small. A 5 seed and a second WF game won't help our RPI, but it WILL give us that 20th win; as close to the surface of the bubble as we are, any positive result is reason for applause. I won't breathe easily before Selection Sunday, however, unless we win the semifinal against Clemson or VT; THAT would close the deal on a bid.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby BCeezy on Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:56 pm

I'm sticking to my gut here, and for the last few weeks I've been really pulling for the 6th seed. I figured we would lose to VT last night, and then also figured we needed 2 ACC tourney wins to get in the tournament, and I really like the match-up with us against the #3 seed FSU (obviously because they are without Singleton). To feel really safe, I still feel like this is the best scenario as it might be really tough to beat VT 3 times in a year. We are a terrible match up for them, so maybe we could get the 3-0 sweep. But first round if we were a 5 we'd get Wake, and as a 6 get GT, neither of which should be a problem. It's almost a toss up for me with VT and FSU.

It's great though we are in the discussion for either a 4, 5, or 6. Waking up yesterday I thought we were destined for the 7 and a 2nd round matchup with UNC or Duke (whoever loses Saturday) in Greensboro.

With all that said, I see the ACC standings finishing up as:

1. Duke 14-2 (Think they sweep the series with UNC with a win at Chapel Hill)
2. UNC 13-3
3. FSU 11-5
4. BC 9-7 (4-1 vs. VT, Maryland, Clemson)
5. Clemson 9-7 (2-1 vs. BC, Maryland, Clemson)
6. VT 9-7 (2-3 vs. BC, Maryland, Clemson)
7. Maryland 9-7 (1-4 vs. BC, VT, Clemson)
8. Virginia 6-10
9. Miami 6-10
10. NC State 5-11
11. GT 4-12
12. Wake Forest 1-15

Never would have thought we'd be getting a first round bye after a 3-7 stretch in ACC play.
BCeezy
Carney Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:17 pm

BCeezy {l Wrote}:I'm sticking to my gut here, and for the last few weeks I've been really pulling for the 6th seed. I figured we would lose to VT last night, and then also figured we needed 2 ACC tourney wins to get in the tournament, and I really like the match-up with us against the #3 seed FSU (obviously because they are without Singleton). To feel really safe, I still feel like this is the best scenario as it might be really tough to beat VT 3 times in a year. We are a terrible match up for them, so maybe we could get the 3-0 sweep. But first round if we were a 5 we'd get Wake, and as a 6 get GT, neither of which should be a problem. It's almost a toss up for me with VT and FSU.

It's great though we are in the discussion for either a 4, 5, or 6. Waking up yesterday I thought we were destined for the 7 and a 2nd round matchup with UNC or Duke (whoever loses Saturday) in Greensboro.

With all that said, I see the ACC standings finishing up as:

1. Duke 14-2 (Think they sweep the series with UNC with a win at Chapel Hill)
2. UNC 13-3
3. FSU 11-5
4. BC 9-7 (4-1 vs. VT, Maryland, Clemson)
5. Clemson 9-7 (2-1 vs. BC, Maryland, Clemson)
6. VT 9-7 (2-3 vs. BC, Maryland, Clemson)
7. Maryland 9-7 (1-4 vs. BC, VT, Clemson)
8. Virginia 6-10
9. Miami 6-10
10. NC State 5-11
11. GT 4-12
12. Wake Forest 1-15

Never would have thought we'd be getting a first round bye after a 3-7 stretch in ACC play.

Actually, it could almost all be settled tonight; if Maryland loses at Miami and Clemson loses at Duke, we're locked into the 5 seed IF (I reiterate yet again) we beat WF at Conti. The semifinal will then be with the winner of the VT@Clemson game (if we can shake off our inconsistency long enough to beat WF twice). I have to agree with you in preferring Clemson to VT; beating any reasonably competitive opponent three times in one season is a tough task, and doubly so for a team as unpredictable as this BC group.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:44 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:... Playing Wake isn't going to do us any SOS help twice in a week.

and at the rate they are going, neither is vpi

Step back off the ledge...they lost 1 game.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:47 pm

I think we get the 5 ultimately...Clemson gets annihilated by Duke tonight and Maryland goes on the road and faceplants against a pretty talented Miami team. On the plus side of things that Session 1 ACCT Ticket is looking cheaper and cheaper...maybe I'll spring and sit in the lower level.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:56 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:... Playing Wake isn't going to do us any SOS help twice in a week.

and at the rate they are going, neither is vpi

Step back off the ledge...they lost 1 game.

well, according to one of your other hoops weirdo buddies, their rpi dropped below 60. that's not really all that helpful, is it?

and wouldn't it be "step back on the ledge" or are you hoping i already killed myself?

ps - fire al

ps - Al still sucks at coaching.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:06 pm

I'm a little surprised that more people aren't hoping for a bye and a possible ACC Championship. We are not going to win the NCAAs, but we can win the ACC in a year when it is on par with the Mountain West. If BC gets a bye, it has VT in the first round and they match up well with them and could easily get to the semis. They will probably have to play Duke or UNC at that point and would need to pull off the upset and then who knows, there could be an upset in the other semifinal game. Anything can happen. We've seen some good runs by lower seeds in recent years, why not a championship run by a 4-seed?
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:48 pm

Well, it looks like Maryland will lose so we'll have a first round game against WFU or GT.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:13 pm

Looking 5 seed now. BC should be in at 9-7 ---and maybe they beat Clemson/VT the 4 seed. Clemson should beat VT, but either way with MD losing, we are looking 5 hole.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:19 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:and carolina did everything they could to give that game to fsu. roy for coy

That coaching by Roy Wlliams was absolutely embarassing on a number of different levels. That was the Al Skinner use of timeouts.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby shockdoct on Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:19 pm

Great call by Hamilton there. Can totally see why you would want to leave 15-20 secs left on the clock.
shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:20 pm

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:Looking 5 seed now. BC should be in at 9-7 ---and maybe they beat Clemson/VT the 4 seed. Clemson should beat VT, but either way with MD losing, we are looking 5 hole.

Give me Clemson as a 4 seed. They aren't very good. Not sure we're beating VT 3 times in a season. Should also root for UNC to beat Duke on Saturday Night. Way more likely we beat UNC than Duke (also way more likely UNC loses a first round game to Miami).
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:35 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:and carolina did everything they could to give that game to fsu. roy for coy

That coaching by Roy Wlliams was absolutely embarassing on a number of different levels. That was the Al Skinner use of timeouts.

Roy Williams is a terrible terrible basketball mind. Roy can recruit.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCeezy on Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:34 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Roy Williams is a terrible terrible basketball mind. Roy can recruit.

Agree 100%. I always tell people I think Roy sucks as a coach and they look at me like I have 3 heads. He gets top talent in the country year in and out but I think he is a horrendous coach.
BCeezy
Carney Hall

Next

Return to Conte Forum