6.71 Proablitlity for the Dance

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

6.71 Proablitlity for the Dance

Postby Art Vandelay on Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:16 pm

StatJunkie now has us at 6.71% probability. (Harvard is 32.11%) Even the maroon colored glasses wearing crowd have to admit at this point that sounds about right. We'd need to win out with two on the road and win at least one and probably two in the ACCT. We have only won 5 straight once this season back in early December when we beat a stretch of pretty weak teams (with a decent win against Maryland in the middle). I don't like our chances.

Also our RPI is also down to 50, which sucks becuase we are on the verge of no longer being a quality win for Harvard.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Re: 6.71 Proablitlity for the Dance

Postby BCEagle74 on Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:06 pm

0.00% of winning the title.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:35 pm

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:StatJunkie now has us at 6.71% probability. (Harvard is 32.11%) Even the maroon colored glasses wearing crowd have to admit at this point that sounds about right. We'd need to win out with two on the road and win at least one and probably two in the ACCT. We have only won 5 straight once this season back in early December when we beat a stretch of pretty weak teams (with a decent win against Maryland in the middle). I don't like our chances.

Also our RPI is also down to 50, which sucks becuase we are on the verge of no longer being a quality win for Harvard.

StatJunkie is a stupid website the same way TWB hates Ken Pomeroy. Harvard is not making the NCAAs at an at-large, I don't care if they win every game the rest of the way. If we win out (including Tuesday's adventure to VT), then I'll happily engage in the NCAA Tournament discussion. Outside of that, we have to win the ACCT which is not happening under any circumstance. UVA is dreadful (a lot worse than Miami despite the record) and Wake is even more dreadful. VT will be coming off a 9:00 pm game with Gameday on campus against Duke. I'd just assume see them win that game, then not pay attention to BC. VT is in for a letdown that game, we just don't have the depth to capatalize.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:39 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:dook is going to beat the everloving goiter outta vpi.

mark. it. down.

:hokie ...just wanted to use the Hokie Icon....
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:52 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:StatJunkie now has us at 6.71% probability. (Harvard is 32.11%) Even the maroon colored glasses wearing crowd have to admit at this point that sounds about right. We'd need to win out with two on the road and win at least one and probably two in the ACCT. We have only won 5 straight once this season back in early December when we beat a stretch of pretty weak teams (with a decent win against Maryland in the middle). I don't like our chances.

StatJunkie is a stupid website the same way TWB hates Ken Pomeroy. Harvard is not making the NCAAs at an at-large, I don't care if they win every game the rest of the way. If we win out (including Tuesday's adventure to VT), then I'll happily engage in the NCAA Tournament discussion. Outside of that, we have to win the ACCT which is not happening under any circumstance. UVA is dreadful (a lot worse than Miami despite the record) and Wake is even more dreadful. VT will be coming off a 9:00 pm game with Gameday on campus against Duke. I'd just assume see them win that game, then not pay attention to BC. VT is in for a letdown that game, we just don't have the depth to capatalize.

We beat UVA by three at home so I would not call them a gimmie. Wake sucks something awful.

As for stat junkie, it is like RPI, Pomeroy and a number of other statistical models, interesting, but flawed. I don't think Harvard is getting in as an at large. I also don't think we are getting in so who is more or less likely is kind of a moot point when neither will make it.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:24 pm

P.S. Harvard controls their own destiny for a tourney bid now.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:52 pm

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

We beat UVA by three at home so I would not call them a gimmie. Wake sucks something awful.

Mike Scott played that game...big difference.
As for stat junkie, it is like RPI, Pomeroy and a number of other statistical models, interesting, but flawed. I don't think Harvard is getting in as an at large. I also don't think we are getting in so who is more or less likely is kind of a moot point when neither will make it.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:19 pm

Actually, Mike Scott did not play that game. Which is alarming.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:23 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Don't let fact get in the way of your argument. Watch the game and/or check a box score. Mike Scott did not play so my argument stands.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:12 am

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Don't let fact get in the way of your argument. Watch the game and/or check a box score. Mike Scott did not play so my argument stands.

Didn't realize that, I was almost sure he played. I'm a stand-up guy I'll admit I was wrong. UVA still has no talent but is well coached. We still win this game based on the fact that I'm in attendance. Can't help us on Tuesday though (Blacksburg is like 4.5 hours each way for me, sorry)
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:13 am

Updated from ESPN Bubble Watch:

Boston College [16-11 (6-7), RPI: 58, SOS: 17] The Eagles, like the teams below them in this space, are barely hanging on. That status comes thanks to Wednesday night's home loss to Miami, which is not a total killer -- the Hurricanes are hovering in the mid-60s range in the RPI, at least -- but is exactly the kind of loss a team with an already shaky at-large profile can hardly afford. The Eagles now have a sub-.500 conference record and spend their next two games traveling to Virginia and Virginia Tech before closing out the regular season versus Wake Forest. That creates a nonexistent margin for error. At this point, Reggie Jackson & Co. have to win all three of those games to get into the tournament.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:30 pm

Lunardi has moved us to the first 4 out.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby joemack13 on Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:51 pm

will statjunkie be able to tell whether we're in after the selection show?
joemack13
Campion Hall

Return to Conte Forum