The U @ BC Must-Win Wed. Night 7 pm

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: The U @ BC Must-Win Wed. Night 7 pm

Postby bcmurph on Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:16 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
bcmurph {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:I don't think that they are necessarily poorly coached, I just don't think that they have enough basketball smarts and depth. When you have a kid like Cahill in at a critical time, your team is weak.

I think if he is in crunch time and he doesn't need to be, your team is poorly coached.

Cahill can have all of Moton's minutes...

Moton plays defense. You clowns think being a midget and hitting a three is more important that playing D.

Reggie and Paris should get most of both of their minutes. That's the point.

Reggie and Paris play defense? Cahill's taken the only the only charges other than Elmore that I can remember...
"Stay with this young team - there are great days ahead." Coach Donahue tweet 2/19/2012 -
bcmurph
McGuinn Hall

Postby chughes543 on Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:39 pm

Exactly, I don't care if Moton is a decent defender or not. His jump shot resembles a high school girl's and he always looks out of control. Rubin and Moton have gotten exposed in ACC play.
bcmurph {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:I don't think that they are necessarily poorly coached, I just don't think that they have enough basketball smarts and depth. When you have a kid like Cahill in at a critical time, your team is weak.

I think if he is in crunch time and he doesn't need to be, your team is poorly coached.

chughes543
n00b

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:02 pm

DaveSpeed {l Wrote}:What would BC's record be if Al was coaching this team?
Tough to predict.
A friend of mine who is a huge Al supporter posed this question to me the other day.
Thoughts?

Depends. Are Ravenel and Sanders still here? And are Heslip, Noreen and Papa still here? Because that team wins 22-24 games. Which is why Al was fired after last year, GDF wouldn't have been able to pull the trigger then (or so he feared).

With the team that is on the court right now, I think Al would have done slightly worse. I don't think these guys, with the exception of Reggie, Raji and Trapani, fit the flex very well.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:04 pm

bcmurph {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
bcmurph {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Moton plays defense. You clowns think being a midget and hitting a three is more important that playing D.

Reggie and Paris should get most of both of their minutes. That's the point.

Reggie and Paris play defense? Cahill's taken the only the only charges other than Elmore that I can remember...

No, by definition my saying Moton is the only one playing defense, that means I don't think anyone else does, which annoys me and is why Moton has to play a little. Cahill is a cute story, but he the worst on defense and can't do anything but shoot. Which is not his fault, he is a damn walk on. He shouldn't be out there so damn much.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:06 pm

chughes543 {l Wrote}:Exactly, I don't care if Moton is a decent defender or not. His jump shot resembles a high school girl's and he always looks out of control. Rubin and Moton have gotten exposed in ACC play.
bcmurph {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

So in other words, you don't give a shit about defense, you just want to see pretty jumpers.

I am not a huge Moton fan, but at least he is a legit defender. Rubin and Cahill can't do anything in ACC play.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MattTheEagle on Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:06 pm

They have gotten plenty of minutes to have proven themselves and I think it is pretty clear that Rubin and Moton flatout cannot play ACC ball. Cahill is better than both but despite his high basketball IQ he lacks the skills to play ACC ball. Nonetheless, with our current roster I understand why Cahill gets a lot of minutes.

I think Skinner would have won 20-21 games this year with this roster + Sanders, Ravanel, Noreen, Heslip, and Ndao.
At the same time I think Skinner would have won 14 games this year with our current roster.

This game looked beyond ugly in the first half which is inexcusable for both the players and Donahue. In a couple of years though I see BC being very good. I am excited for Donahue's guys coming in and cannot wait for when we no longer have to rely on big minutes from walkons.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:07 pm

MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:They have gotten plenty of minutes to have proven themselves and I think it is pretty clear that Rubin and Moton flatout cannot play ACC ball. Cahill is better than both but despite his high basketball IQ he lacks the skills to play ACC ball. Nonetheless, with our current roster I understand why Cahill gets a lot of minutes.

I think Skinner would have won 20-21 games this year with this roster + Sanders, Ravanel, Noreen, Heslip, and Ndao.
At the same time I think Skinner would have won 14 games this year with our current roster.

This game looked beyond ugly in the first half which is inexcusable for both the players and Donahue. In a couple of years though I see BC being very good. I am excited for Donahue's guys coming in and cannot wait for when we no longer have to rely on big minutes from walkons.

The idea that you think Cahill is better than Moton is laughable. More hoop weirdos that don't understand anything other than points.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby branchinator on Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:08 pm

I'd rather Elmore gets minutes over Moton, Cahill, Rubin and just go with Reggie as the primary ball handler.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:11 pm

branchinator {l Wrote}:I'd rather Elmore gets minutes over Moton, Cahill, Rubin and just go with Reggie as the primary ball handler.

This. The Don should've shortened the rotation weeks ago. Reggie, Biko, Raji, Trapani, Southern, with good minutes off of the bench from Elmore and spot time for Dunn, Rubin and Moton. By spot, I mean 5-6 minutes tops. The rotation thing is cool and all but is a disaster with this team. They need to go with a short rotation and leave guys in to win or lose the game. 11 man rotations are for November and December.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Art Vandelay on Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:25 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:They have gotten plenty of minutes to have proven themselves and I think it is pretty clear that Rubin and Moton flatout cannot play ACC ball. Cahill is better than both but despite his high basketball IQ he lacks the skills to play ACC ball. Nonetheless, with our current roster I understand why Cahill gets a lot of minutes.

The idea that you think Cahill is better than Moton is laughable. More hoop weirdos that don't understand anything other than points.

Cahill is a walk on and frankly with this roster I think he is earning his minutes. He is limited obviously, but he can shoot, brings some much needed energy and works hard. He is as someone else mentioned the only guy on this team who steps in to take a charge. Moton is a better athlete than Cahil clearly, but I have yet to see him deomonstrate anything he is very good at. His 5 fouls and 3 turnovers really filled up the stat sheet tonight. I can't believe we wasted a scholorship on him and are stuck with 3 more years of him. I'd rather play more walkons this year.

I was at the game and the first half was about as ugly as I've ever seen. Can someone let Reggie know the games start at 7?
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCHerbert on Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:26 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
branchinator {l Wrote}:I'd rather Elmore gets minutes over Moton, Cahill, Rubin and just go with Reggie as the primary ball handler.

This. The Don should've shortened the rotation weeks ago. Reggie, Biko, Raji, Trapani, Southern, with good minutes off of the bench from Elmore and spot time for Dunn, Rubin and Moton. By spot, I mean 5-6 minutes tops. The rotation thing is cool and all but is a disaster with this team. They need to go with a short rotation and leave guys in to win or lose the game. 11 man rotations are for November and December.

There was a time when I didn't mind eleven man rotations because you can never have enough fresh bodies. I got tired of it and I couldn't keep up...I now stick with a weekly four man rotation...these old bones can't handle the pounding anymore... ;)
BCHerbert
McGuinn Hall

Postby MattTheEagle on Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:26 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

I agree with this.

If you really want to know, I see nothing encouraging from Moton. I do not think he handles the ball like an ACC guard should, his shot is horrendous for a point guard, and he is often out of control. I am not saying Cahill is great (as evidenced by my earlier post), but I like him better than Moton. Yes, Cahill can shoot better but he also plays smart: preventing shot clock winding down, fighting for lose balls, taking charges -- I think he does all of those things better than either Rubin or Moton.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:29 pm

MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

I agree with this.

If you really want to know, I see nothing encouraging from Moton. I do not think he handles the ball like an ACC guard should, his shot is horrendous for a point guard, and he is often out of control. I am not saying Cahill is great (as evidenced by my earlier post), but I like him better than Moton. Yes, Cahill can shoot better but he also plays smart: preventing shot clock winding down, fighting for lose balls, taking charges -- I think he does all of those things better than either Rubin or Moton.

All of your comments ignore the one thing Moton does well, that the rest of the team is terrible at - play defense. On a team where guys let guards blow by them and has no shot blocker, the one that plays defense plays, period. Same is true for Southern, and predictably no one notices that either.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:59 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Tough to predict.
A friend of mine who is a huge Al supporter posed this question to me the other day.
Thoughts?

Depends. Are Ravenel and Sanders still here? And are Heslip, Noreen and Papa still here? Because that team wins 22-24 games. Which is why Al was fired after last year, GDF wouldn't have been able to pull the trigger then (or so he feared).

With the team that is on the court right now, I think Al would have done slightly worse. I don't think these guys, with the exception of Reggie, Raji and Trapani, fit the flex very well.

Heslip + Noreen + Papa = 7-9 more wins? Because you can't possibly assume any of the players that were still on the team would have improved in any way.

I think I predicted 13-16 wins. When you're left with a bunch of lazy untalented players, a few hard workers and one quality player, there are going to be many frustrating nights. This was one of them.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:00 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

The problem is that they are both bad players in their own special ways. Cahill is useless on defense and Moton is completely useless on offense. I'm totally on board with TWB and shortening the bench the rest of the season. Danny Rubin needs to be removed from the starting line-up as he does absolutely nothing productive at all during a basketball game. The problem is that we have Jackson, Paris, Raji and Trapani who are all decent players. Southern sucks on offense but I can live with him at center. Elmore is fine off the bench but that's it. Moton, Cahill, Dunn and Rubin for one reason or anything aren't good basketball players and should not be playing more than 5 minutes. Shorten the rotation and let's just see what happens because I think we're pretty screwed anyhow at this point. We have 6 (generously) ACC players. The rest of the kids couldn't hack in the CAA or AMerica East.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:03 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

I agree with this.

All of your comments ignore the one thing Moton does well, that the rest of the team is terrible at - play defense. On a team where guys let guards blow by them and has no shot blocker, the one that plays defense plays, period. Same is true for Southern, and predictably no one notices that either.

Moton is going to play a lot against VT, I can promise you that (against Delaney). He's awful on offense. Donahue is really screwed because he has about 6 legitimate players and the rest (Rubin, Moton, Cahill, Dunn and the that guy from the Penguins of Madagasscar) are a complete joke playing against ACC level players. Cinci upsetting GTown and Maryland winning doesn't help us any tonight.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby auggiebc on Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:03 pm

win out the regular season then win 2 more in the ACCT then we MIGHT have a chance to get to the dance.

But given the fact that this team starts a guy named Danny Rubin and gives walk-on Cahill crunch time minutes makes me wonder where my optimism is coming from.

This team's only chance at winning is to keep the walk-ons in warmups and limit the rotation to 7 players total. At this point in the season the Don should be well awayre that the talent on this roster is not 9/10 deep. It's only 6 deep, maybe 7.
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:05 pm

auggiebc {l Wrote}:win out the regular season then win 2 more in the ACCT then we MIGHT have a chance to get to the dance.

But given the fact that this team starts a guy named Danny Rubin and gives walk-on Cahill crunch time minutes makes me wonder where my optimism is coming from.

This team's only chance at winning is to keep the walk-ons in warmups and limit the rotation to 7 players total. At this point in the season the Don should be well awayre that the talent on this roster is not 9/10 deep. It's only 6 deep, maybe 7.

Jackson, Paris, Elmore, Raji, Trapani and Southern should play....the rest quite frankly shouldn't play more than 5 minutes a night.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:06 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Tough to predict.
Thoughts?

Heslip + Noreen + Papa = 7-9 more wins? Because you can't possibly assume any of the players that were still on the team would have improved in any way.

I think I predicted 13-16 wins. When you're left with a bunch of lazy untalented players, a few hard workers and one quality player, there are going to be many frustrating nights. This was one of them.

Whatever you say. Fact is that Sanders missed 6 weeks, came back out of shape, and Reggie is a better player now. Plus the ACC is a TON worse as a conference. Yes, of course, I forgot, Al had a shit season, grossly underachieved, and had never been successful before, so it is crazy to think that a healthy group of seniors would have succeeded. I mean, he never had any success with a veteran ballclub.

Needless to say, it is pretty obvious that the reason GDF was so quick to pull the trigger is that he was tired of watching that moribund offense, despite its success, and the lack of enthusiasm Al displayed for promoting the program, and that he was truly afraid that with the team he had coming back, he would lose his excuse to fire him.

But you hold on to your theory. It's a good one.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:14 pm

Mike_S {l Wrote}:BC still has a fighting chance at the NCAAs if they win out regular season, as the bubble is soft. I can't imagine they will do it though.

Virginia won at Georgia Tech tonight and will likely be licking their chops this weekend. They played a good game against BC in Boston when they were still not doing too well overall.

Perhaps you didn't see UVA drop 41 points against Duke a week and a half ago. UVA is unlike Miami in that they have very little talent but are well coached. Their 2 best players are either suspended or injured. If BC gave an even effort each time out, I'd say we'd win by 8-10. With the way this teams plays, I have absolutely no clue.

Does anyone know, will BC just stay in Virginia since they go to Blacksburg on Tuesday Night? I can't imagine they fly all the way back to Boston and all the way back down here again...
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Dirtywater75 on Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:16 am

At least this season and this team (especially the Moton, Rubin caliber players) will keep the Don up at night thinking he's really going to have to recruit like never before if he wants to make the big bucks for more than just a few more years.

I went to the game tonight. Donahue was all over Jackson and Jackson seemed confused and frustrated at times dealing with his new coach. Not sure but it looks like it relates mostly to his defensive play. He is really struggling with his game (and this coach). Someone else noted correctly that this team seems leaderless on the floor - very little emotion or energy. We may have substantially under appreciated the difficulty they are having with the new offense. They look very mechanical out there at times. If these seniors were juniors - this team would be vastly better next season. This season should be written off as a learning year for both coach and Jackson. If the new freshmen can play - we will see very little of Moton and the walk ons. This job is a huge opportunity for Donahue - and I'm confident he isn't going to waste it.
Dirtywater75
Carney Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:43 am

auggiebc {l Wrote}:win out the regular season then win 2 more in the ACCT then we MIGHT have a chance to get to the dance.

How much do you think he can really shorten the rotation? Jackson already plays 35 minutes a night, Paris and Trapani average over 30 and Raji is not much below that. These guys look like they are dragging ass at the end of games as it is. They play a fast paced offense and need a blow once in a while so you need guys like Moton and Cahill to steal some minutes. Even if you play Reggie 40 minutes and the other three 30 you need to find a way to cover 30 minutes of playing time. Southern is 20 minutes a game at most so that is 50 minutes to be split between Moton, Rubin, Cahill and Elmore. If we try to shorten up I see that hurting more than helping at this point.

I love this "only chance at wining" crap. I seem to recall being a 3 pointer that was halfway down away from beating UNC on the road a couple of days ago using a rotation like we just did. We don't have that good of a team if we only have 4 guys anyone is confident in. Simple as that.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:03 am

I thought like all here-- we were short or very short --- on talent from last year starting the year --- -and SD energized the team, kids and program and hopes were raised.

Just not enought talent>>>> after all these games you can see the vacuum and saying we have the talent doesn't amke it so?

Reggie is erratic, and this time of the year in crunch time, your get exposed and BC has to play almost perfectly to win versus tough teams and after 4 years of inconsistent and poor play, BC is now out of the tournament if they do not step it up and that looks doubtful or a real long shot.

BC as of right now, is below a bubble team. One shot versus UNC...one here...one here....and now BC has to put a string together and that is all Reggie Jackson. Trapani is playing well.

It's gonna be very very tough.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:13 am

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:

How much do you think he can really shorten the rotation? Jackson already plays 35 minutes a night, Paris and Trapani average over 30 and Raji is not much below that. These guys look like they are dragging ass at the end of games as it is. They play a fast paced offense and need a blow once in a while so you need guys like Moton and Cahill to steal some minutes. Even if you play Reggie 40 minutes and the other three 30 you need to find a way to cover 30 minutes of playing time. Southern is 20 minutes a game at most so that is 50 minutes to be split between Moton, Rubin, Cahill and Elmore. If we try to shorten up I see that hurting more than helping at this point.

I love this "only chance at wining" crap. I seem to recall being a 3 pointer that was halfway down away from beating UNC on the road a couple of days ago using a rotation like we just did. We don't have that good of a team if we only have 4 guys anyone is confident in. Simple as that.

That's because UNC played one of the worst games I've ever seen and we still lost. Give 30 of those remaining minutes to Elmore (he's not wonderful but etter than the other awful alternatives) and then give the Rubin's and Cahill's of the world 5 minutes each. Cahill and Moton aren't "stealing minutes" right now, I bet they both played 20+ minutes last night. You're not going to beat even the bad teams in the ACC with 3 walk ons out there.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:14 am

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:I thought like all here-- we were short or very short --- on talent from last year starting the year --- -and SD energized the team, kids and program and hopes were raised.

Just not enought talent>>>> after all these games you can see the vacuum and saying we have the talent doesn't amke it so?

Reggie is erratic, and this time of the year in crunch time, your get exposed and BC has to play almost perfectly to win versus tough teams and after 4 years of inconsistent and poor play, BC is now out of the tournament if they do not step it up and that looks doubtful or a real long shot.

BC as of right now, is below a bubble team. One shot versus UNC...one here...one here....and now BC has to put a string together and that is all Reggie Jackson. Trapani is playing well.

It's gonna be very very tough.

Again there is no excuse for losing to Frank Fucking Haith....TWICE.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:02 am

For those who thought that Skinner would get more than 22 wins this year, the last time he did that he had 3 1st rounders and a soon to be 1st team All-ACC player. Granted the ACC is down, it's not nearly that down. It's pointless to argue anyways, it happened & I'm happy it did -this program was regressing under him.

Also the idea that we have "maybe 6" ACC players is comical, we have 3 maybe 4? Reggie, Trap, Raji, Biko?

This is said no matter who is the coach, it's sad that the big class probably won't win a tourny game in their 4 years.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Cadillac90 on Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:17 am

I have two things to say:

1) Irregardless of your opinion on the talent of this team, this loss falls on the coach. He failed miserably last night, down 38-17 at half? WTF? BC lost by 1 to these guys down in Miami so please don't tell me BC can keep up with Miami. That being said, Donahue will have this team back to being relevant within 3 years.
2) OJ sucks donkey balls.

Regards,
Mrs. Skinner
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby apbc12 on Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:23 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:you can't possibly assume any of the players that were still on the team would have improved in any way.

Do you huff paint every day, or is it just a weekend thing?
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby auggiebc on Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:30 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:

this. and the last place you are going to successfully short the bench is when you play 4 days in a row... aka - our only chance at going to the ncaa tournament.

fair enough. but my point is that you can't consistently win with a rotation of 10 guys when the roster only has 6 productive players. Miami played 8 last night (37 min, 34,34,29,25,15,15,11). They didn't seem too tired. But that's not the point...the point is they only have 8 players who can be somewhat productive, so they only play 8. We have 6 guys who can be productive, but we play 10. We played a walk-on for 22 minutes last nite... a walk-on who can't play defense. and he was on the floor more than half of the game!!! we start a guy in danny rubin who hasn't done one thing productive in the past month.
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:31 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:

That's because UNC played one of the worst games I've ever seen and we still lost. Give 30 of those remaining minutes to Elmore (he's not wonderful but etter than the other awful alternatives) and then give the Rubin's and Cahill's of the world 5 minutes each. Cahill and Moton aren't "stealing minutes" right now, I bet they both played 20+ minutes last night. You're not going to beat even the bad teams in the ACC with 3 walk ons out there.

I don't disagree that we are going to struggle if we need to have walk ons out there. Thats my point. We are going to struggle becuase we don't have enough good players right now. If the option is play cahill 20 minutes or play Raji, Trapani,Jackson and Paris 40 a piece, I'll stick with the current approach. They may be good for the forst 30 but they will not be able to walk for the last 10 and we'll get killed. We are bad enough on defense when we aren't exhausted. Assume we win one in the ACCT on Thursday - how do you think they are going to look playing on Friday. You can argue about who should get minutes betwen Cahill. Moton, Rubin and Elmore but at least 3 of them have to play a fair amount of minutes. Rubin seems lost so he should play the least of that group in my opinion.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum