The U @ BC Must-Win Wed. Night 7 pm

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: The U @ BC Must-Win Wed. Night 7 pm

Postby claver2010 on Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:45 am

apbc12 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:you can't possibly assume any of the players that were still on the team would have improved in any way.

Do you huff paint every day, or is it just a weekend thing?

Which player on this team improved in the time Skinner was here?

Reggie? I guess, partly because his minutes/shots increased.
Raji? Nope
Biko? Nope
Trap? Nope
Southern? Nope
Rakim? Not while he was here
Ravanel? Maybe now he has a 2nd grade reading level...
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:50 am

Last Night:

Moton 18 minutes
Cahill 22 minutes
Kowalski 2 minutes
Rubin 10 minutes

Elmore 13 minutes
Biko 28 minutes
Raji 21 minutes
Southern 19 minutes

Why is Cahill and Moton playing a combined 40 minutes while Elmore and Raji combine for 36 minutes? Biko should be play about 33 minutes. The point you guys are trying to make just doesn't prove out factually. It's absolutely ridiculous that Moton and Rubin are combining for 28 minutes when Raji only plays 21 and Elmore plays 13. You think Raji and Elmore are better than those two? Yea me too. I'm fine with Moton, Cahill and Rubin playing, but a combined 50 minutes is ridiculous when Raji only gets 21 and Elmore gets 13.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:52 am

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
auggiebc {l Wrote}:win out the regular season then win 2 more in the ACCT then we MIGHT have a chance to get to the dance.

But given the fact that this team starts a guy named Danny Rubin and gives walk-on Cahill crunch time minutes makes me wonder where my optimism is coming from.

This team's only chance at winning is to keep the walk-ons in warmups and limit the rotation to 7 players total. At this point in the season the Don should be well awayre that the talent on this roster is not 9/10 deep. It's only 6 deep, maybe 7.

How much do you think he can really shorten the rotation? Jackson already plays 35 minutes a night, Paris and Trapani average over 30 and Raji is not much below that. These guys look like they are dragging ass at the end of games as it is. They play a fast paced offense and need a blow once in a while so you need guys like Moton and Cahill to steal some minutes. Even if you play Reggie 40 minutes and the other three 30 you need to find a way to cover 30 minutes of playing time. Southern is 20 minutes a game at most so that is 50 minutes to be split between Moton, Rubin, Cahill and Elmore. If we try to shorten up I see that hurting more than helping at this point.

I love this "only chance at wining" crap. I seem to recall being a 3 pointer that was halfway down away from beating UNC on the road a couple of days ago using a rotation like we just did. We don't have that good of a team if we only have 4 guys anyone is confident in. Simple as that.

That's because UNC played one of the worst games I've ever seen and we still lost. Give 30 of those remaining minutes to Elmore (he's not wonderful but etter than the other awful alternatives) and then give the Rubin's and Cahill's of the world 5 minutes each. Cahill and Moton aren't "stealing minutes" right now, I bet they both played 20+ minutes last night. You're not going to beat even the bad teams in the ACC with 3 walk ons out there.

I don't disagree that we are going to struggle if we need to have walk ons out there. Thats my point. We are going to struggle becuase we don't have enough good players right now. If the option is play cahill 20 minutes or play Raji, Trapani,Jackson and Paris 40 a piece, I'll stick with the current approach. They may be good for the forst 30 but they will not be able to walk for the last 10 and we'll get killed. We are bad enough on defense when we aren't exhausted. Assume we win one in the ACCT on Thursday - how do you think they are going to look playing on Friday. You can argue about who should get minutes betwen Cahill. Moton, Rubin and Elmore but at least 3 of them have to play a fair amount of minutes. Rubin seems lost so he should play the least of that group in my opinion.

You get 24 hours of rest in between games and these kids are between 18-22 years old. I'd rather lose with our best players being tired that playing guys from the Penguins of Madagasscar, that's it. Your argument is just wrong. Look at the minutes breakdown last night.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:54 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Last Night:

Moton 18 minutes
Cahill 22 minutes
Kowalski 2 minutes
Rubin 10 minutes

Elmore 13 minutes
Biko 28 minutes
Raji 21 minutes
Southern 19 minutes

Why is Cahill and Moton playing a combined 40 minutes while Elmore and Raji combine for 36 minutes? Biko should be play about 33 minutes. The point you guys are trying to make just doesn't prove out factually. It's absolutely ridiculous that Moton and Rubin are combining for 28 minutes when Raji only plays 21 and Elmore plays 13. You think Raji and Elmore are better than those two? Yea me too. I'm fine with Moton, Cahill and Rubin playing, but a combined 50 minutes is ridiculous when Raji only gets 21 and Elmore gets 13.

The problem I have with Elmore is that he hasn't found a fit in the offense yet. He had 1 good offensive game @Duke and the rest of the ACC games, most have been zeroes, 2s, 3s.

Granted, outside of Cahill hitting some threes the other 2 haven't provided much on that end either. I guess I'm saying Raji should be getting more minutes.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:59 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Last Night:

Moton 18 minutes
Cahill 22 minutes
Kowalski 2 minutes
Rubin 10 minutes

Elmore 13 minutes
Biko 28 minutes
Raji 21 minutes
Southern 19 minutes

The problem I have with Elmore is that he hasn't found a fit in the offense yet. He had 1 good offensive game @Duke and the rest of the ACC games, most have been zeroes, 2s, 3s.

Granted, outside of Cahill hitting some threes the other 2 haven't provided much on that end either. I guess I'm saying Raji should be getting more minutes.

Give Rubin's minutes to Elmore. At least Elmore plays defense. Rubin does absolutely nothing productive (including not shooting when he's wide open). Give Kowalski's minutes to Southern. Now we're down to giving Moton and Cahill a total of 40 minutes. Give some to Raji and some to Elmore and those kids can play about 5-10 a night a piece. I'd far rather play Dallas Elmore 30 minutes than Moton and Cahill.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:05 am

Aside from changing minutes around - the first half wouldn't have occurred the way it did if the ball ever penetrated the 3 point line on offense. Swinging the ball side to side with passes to the block, backdoor or baseline cuts, and no dribble penetration against a matchup zone meant every shot was contested. It's like they didn't even watch tape of what Miami has done all season. Sure, the halftime adjustments worked, but it was too late. The minutes simply wouldn't have mattered, although I can see why people are frustrated with that aspect of the game.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:06 am

I mean look, I don't mean to beat up on Moton, Cahill or Rubin. They're being put in a bad position by being forced to play 20+ minutes a night in the ACC. All three of those kids would be fine in that role in the Ivy League or America East, but not in big-time college basketball. Donahue really likes those guys so I have to assume they're going to continue to play a fair amount, win or lose....and by my estimation there will be a fair amount of losing the rest of the season if the continue to play 20+ minutes a night.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:08 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:Aside from changing minutes around - the first half wouldn't have occurred the way it did if the ball ever penetrated the 3 point line on offense. Swinging the ball side to side with passes to the block, backdoor or baseline cuts, and no dribble penetration against a matchup zone meant every shot was contested. It's like they didn't even watch tape of what Miami has done all season. Sure, the halftime adjustments worked, but it was too late. The minutes simply wouldn't have mattered, although I can see why people are frustrated with that aspect of the game.

The first half last night was absolutely terrible in-game coaching by Steve Donahue.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby commavegarage on Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:31 am

apbc12 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:you can't possibly assume any of the players that were still on the team would have improved in any way.

Do you huff paint every day, or is it just a weekend thing?

Which current player improved under Al?
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby commavegarage on Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:34 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Needless to say, it is pretty obvious that the reason GDF was so quick to pull the trigger is that he was tired of watching that moribund offense, despite its success, and the lack of enthusiasm Al displayed for promoting the program, and that he was truly afraid that with the team he had coming back, he would lose his excuse to fire him.

What is this success you speak of? Getting past the first weekend of the NCAA tournament once in 15 or so years?
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby commavegarage on Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:37 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Needless to say, it is pretty obvious that the reason GDF was so quick to pull the trigger is that he was tired of watching that moribund offense, despite its success, and the lack of enthusiasm Al displayed for promoting the program, and that he was truly afraid that with the team he had coming back, he would lose his excuse to fire him.

What is this success you speak of? Getting past the first weekend of the NCAA tournament once in 15 or so years?

if steve donahue ever wins a conference champion he will be named emperor-(of-basketball)-for-life. al did it twice and he's the worst thing to ever happen to bc basketball

p.s. fire al

He would if that was the ultimate goal, which it isn't.
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby commavegarage on Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:01 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

if steve donahue ever wins a conference champion he will be named emperor-(of-basketball)-for-life. al did it twice and he's the worst thing to ever happen to bc basketball

p.s. fire al

so then what is the ultimate goal - to beat an ivy?

Clearly.
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby Logitano on Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:11 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

p.s. fire al

so then what is the ultimate goal - to beat an ivy?

Zing! Although The Don not being afraid of Holy Cross makes him aces in the eyes of most golden eagles. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:00 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
auggiebc {l Wrote}:win out the regular season then win 2 more in the ACCT then we MIGHT have a chance to get to the dance.

But given the fact that this team starts a guy named Danny Rubin and gives walk-on Cahill crunch time minutes makes me wonder where my optimism is coming from.

This team's only chance at winning is to keep the walk-ons in warmups and limit the rotation to 7 players total. At this point in the season the Don should be well awayre that the talent on this roster is not 9/10 deep. It's only 6 deep, maybe 7.

How much do you think he can really shorten the rotation? Jackson already plays 35 minutes a night, Paris and Trapani average over 30 and Raji is not much below that. These guys look like they are dragging ass at the end of games as it is. They play a fast paced offense and need a blow once in a while so you need guys like Moton and Cahill to steal some minutes. Even if you play Reggie 40 minutes and the other three 30 you need to find a way to cover 30 minutes of playing time. Southern is 20 minutes a game at most so that is 50 minutes to be split between Moton, Rubin, Cahill and Elmore. If we try to shorten up I see that hurting more than helping at this point.

I love this "only chance at wining" crap. I seem to recall being a 3 pointer that was halfway down away from beating UNC on the road a couple of days ago using a rotation like we just did. We don't have that good of a team if we only have 4 guys anyone is confident in. Simple as that.

That's because UNC played one of the worst games I've ever seen and we still lost. Give 30 of those remaining minutes to Elmore (he's not wonderful but etter than the other awful alternatives) and then give the Rubin's and Cahill's of the world 5 minutes each. Cahill and Moton aren't "stealing minutes" right now, I bet they both played 20+ minutes last night. You're not going to beat even the bad teams in the ACC with 3 walk ons out there.

I don't disagree that we are going to struggle if we need to have walk ons out there. Thats my point. We are going to struggle becuase we don't have enough good players right now. If the option is play cahill 20 minutes or play Raji, Trapani,Jackson and Paris 40 a piece, I'll stick with the current approach. They may be good for the forst 30 but they will not be able to walk for the last 10 and we'll get killed. We are bad enough on defense when we aren't exhausted. Assume we win one in the ACCT on Thursday - how do you think they are going to look playing on Friday. You can argue about who should get minutes betwen Cahill. Moton, Rubin and Elmore but at least 3 of them have to play a fair amount of minutes. Rubin seems lost so he should play the least of that group in my opinion.

You get 24 hours of rest in between games and these kids are between 18-22 years old. I'd rather lose with our best players being tired that playing guys from the Penguins of Madagasscar, that's it. Your argument is just wrong. Look at the minutes breakdown last night.

My argument is not wrong. You are debating why raji and Elmore aren't playing more than Moton and Cahill. I am not disagreeing there. As I said you can make an argument for one guy getting minutes over another but either way some combination of Moton, Cahill, Elmore and Rubin have to play quite a few minutes. If you'd rather lose with our best guys tired thats fine, but losing is exactly what you'll do. And still you will see a healthy does of Moton, Cahill and Elmore because there is no chance 4 guys are going 40 minutes no matter how old they are and 24 hours is not a lot of time between games.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:23 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:For those who thought that Skinner would get more than 22 wins this year, the last time he did that he had 3 1st rounders and a soon to be 1st team All-ACC player. Granted the ACC is down, it's not nearly that down. It's pointless to argue anyways, it happened & I'm happy it did -this program was regressing under him.

Also the idea that we have "maybe 6" ACC players is comical, we have 3 maybe 4? Reggie, Trap, Raji, Biko?

This is said no matter who is the coach, it's sad that the big class probably won't win a tourny game in their 4 years.

Skinner would have had a much better team than the Don has. Just sayin'. And the ACC is WAYYYYYYY down. In fact, it fucking blows.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:27 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

p.s. fire al

Yeah, TRE! Around here, the arbitrary goal of making the sweet 16 is more important that winning your conference.

Fucking clowns.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:28 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:For those who thought that Skinner would get more than 22 wins this year, the last time he did that he had 3 1st rounders and a soon to be 1st team All-ACC player. Granted the ACC is down, it's not nearly that down. It's pointless to argue anyways, it happened & I'm happy it did -this program was regressing under him.

Also the idea that we have "maybe 6" ACC players is comical, we have 3 maybe 4? Reggie, Trap, Raji, Biko?

This is said no matter who is the coach, it's sad that the big class probably won't win a tourny game in their 4 years.

Skinner would have had a much better team than the Don has. Just sayin'. And the ACC is WAYYYYYYY down. In fact, it fucking blows.

As I said, the last time Al had a team with more than 22 wins was when he had 3 1st rounders & a to be All-ACC player. Even with fatass this team would have maybe 1 first rounder. Again, the ACC isn't that down -especially compared to last year.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Logitano on Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:36 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

p.s. fire al

Yeah, TRE! Around here, the arbitrary goal of making the sweet 16 is more important that winning your conference.

Fucking clowns.

The Don needs at least 3 years to make a fair comparison with Al. However, if you want to make winning an ACC championship as a goal for the program then Al was never winning an ACC title. Suck on that knowledge. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:38 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

p.s. fire al

Fucking clowns.

If in the same time period, Donahue has the same amount of post season success as Skinner I will be very disappointed. But who cares about the post season when you can have 2 conf championships in 15 years!!!11!!
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

As I said, the last time Al had a team with more than 22 wins was when he had 3 1st rounders & a to be All-ACC player. Even with fatass this team would have maybe 1 first rounder. Again, the ACC isn't that down.

The ACC is as bad as it has ever been. Ever.

There are clearly some assumptions involved in all of this, but with a second scorer in Sanders, a low post presence in Ravenel, and the replacement of Moton and Rubin with Noreen, Heslip and Papa, plus the fact that Sanders doesn't miss 6 weeks and come back looking like a Twinkie, this is a 22+ win team.

I have said on a number of occasions that Al did a shit job last season. Based on his track record, one has to believe that was an aberration. If you don't your memory is short. Plus, your whole assumption is wrong, they were 22-12 in 08-09 with his terrible class and Ty Rice (no first rounders). Al's teams won 20 7 times and 22+ on 5 occasions.

All of that said, I am glad the Don is here and I think he can match Al's success and hopefully field teams that are more suited for the tournament. Just don't feel the need to shit on Al or pretend that the Don is doing some sort of miracle job.
Last edited by twballgame9 on Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:42 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

p.s. fire al

Fucking clowns.

The Don needs at least 3 years to make a fair comparison with Al. However, if you want to make winning an ACC championship as a goal for the program then Al was never winning an ACC title. Suck on that knowledge. :ace

Yes, because the ACC is so much better than the Big East, where Al won his titles.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:49 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

As I said, the last time Al had a team with more than 22 wins was when he had 3 1st rounders & a to be All-ACC player. Even with fatass this team would have maybe 1 first rounder. Again, the ACC isn't that down.

There are clearly some assumptions involved in all of this, but with a second scorer in Sanders, a low post presence in Ravenel, and the replacement of Moton and Rubin with Noreen, Heslip and Papa, plus the fact that Sanders doesn't miss 6 weeks and come back looking like a Twinkie, this is a 22+ win team.

I have said on a number of occasions that Al did a shit job last season. Based on his track record, one has to believe that was an aberration. If you don't your memory is short. Plus, your whole assumption is wrong, they were 22-12 in 08-09 with his terrible class and Ty Rice (no first rounders). Al's teams won 20 times and 22+ on 5 occasions.

All of that said, I am glad the Don is here and I think he can match Al's success and hopefully field teams that are more suited for the tournament. Just don't feel the need to shit on Al or pretend that the Don is doing some sort of miracle job.

That's why I said more than 22.

You're basing this 8 game improvement on:
1) A player that had zero work ethic and while talented played when he wanted to
2) An ACC that was down last year and is now worse in your mind
3) A guy who averaged less than 3 points per game in his 2 years and was 50/50 on being eligible
4) A FR who has appeared in 7 games on a middle of the road BE team
5) A FR who hasn't played all year at St. Joes
6) A FR who transferred to God knows where
7) A roster filled with players, 1 of whom maybe progressed under Al, and several of whom regressed.

Logical.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:03 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

I have said on a number of occasions that Al did a shit job last season. Based on his track record, one has to believe that was an aberration. If you don't your memory is short. Plus, your whole assumption is wrong, they were 22-12 in 08-09 with his terrible class and Ty Rice (no first rounders). Al's teams won 20 times and 22+ on 5 occasions.

1) A player that had zero work ethic and while talented played when he wanted to
3) A guy who averaged less than 3 points per game in his 2 years and was 50/50 on being eligible
7) A roster filled with players, 1 of whom maybe progressed under Al, and several of whom regressed.

Logical.

I am basing the 8 games on the fact that their most talented player missed six weeks, they lost a player that transferred to one of the top 5 teams in the country (OSU must suck at identifying talent), the fact that Noreen and Heslip couldn't be any worse than Moton and Rubin and the fact that Al did his worst coaching job in 13 years. Most of the improvement would have come simply from Sanders and Ravenel (who, unless you have amnesia, started to really come into his own late in the season) simply playing more, Reggie making the improvement he has, and Raji getting his ass back under the basket where he belongs.
Last edited by twballgame9 on Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Art Vandelay on Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:03 pm

You know what would be great is if we could keeo talking about the former coach and former cheese steak eating players. Who the eff cares what would have or might have happened if Al and/or Sanders, ravenel, Heslip etc were here? They aren't and anything anyone says about what would have happened if they were is a guess. If Sanders was in shape and if a bunch of incoming freshmen no one ever saw play were as good as people thought they maybe might be and all the rest of the crap being thrown around is bullshit. WHO CARES????

1) Al Skinner is not walking through that door
2) Sanders was a lazy piece of crap last year who may or may not have been a lazy piece of crap this year. Either way he had not lived up to potential through last year and even still was better than most of the guys we are trotting out there this year.
3) We had some freshmen that did not come. Maybe they were good, maybe they sucked and none of you weirdos can say you know becuase we never saw them play a minute of ACC basketball
4) With a first year head coach, a new system, and someone else's recruits, it is expected that you will have a bumby ride. Back before the season everyone seemed to know this, but got blinded when we won a few games against middling opponents.
5) This is not now and never was a tournament team
6) The ACC is having a sub par year overall - this is largely what led to the blind optimism by some once we beat a coupld of mediocre teams. We have list to all of the good teams in conference as expected. Note - We are one of the reasons the ACC is considered down this year.
7) Steve D is not working miracles, but he has shown some positive signs for the future. This year he is working with a fairly limited roster, no depth at all and a bunch of guys that do not fit his offensive system. So he should be given a bit of a break when things are rough and should not be coronated everytime he wins. He should not be compared to Al Skinner at every turn because that is not fair to either of them.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:07 pm

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:You know what would be great is if we could keeo talking about the former coach and former cheese steak eating players. Who the eff cares what would have or might have happened if Al and/or Sanders, ravenel, Heslip etc were here? They aren't and anything anyone says about what would have happened if they were is a guess. If Sanders was in shape and if a bunch of incoming freshmen no one ever saw play were as good as people thought they maybe might be and all the rest of the crap being thrown around is bullshit. WHO CARES????

2) Sanders was a lazy piece of crap last year who may or may not have been a lazy piece of crap this year. Either way he had not lived up to potential through last year and even still was better than most of the guys we are trotting out there this year.
3) We had some freshmen that did not come. Maybe they were good, maybe they sucked and none of you weirdos can say you know becuase we never saw them play a minute of ACC basketball
4) With a first year head coach, a new system, and someone else's recruits, it is expected that you will have a bumby ride. Back before the season everyone seemed to know this, but got blinded when we won a few games against middling opponents.
6) The ACC is having a sub par year overall - this is largely what led to the blind optimism by some once we beat a coupld of mediocre teams. We have list to all of the good teams in conference as expected. Note - We are one of the reasons the ACC is considered down this year.
7) Steve D is not working miracles, but he has shown some positive signs for the future. This year he is working with a fairly limited roster, no depth at all and a bunch of guys that do not fit his offensive system. So he should be given a bit of a break when things are rough and should not be coronated everytime he wins. He should not be compared to Al Skinner at every turn because that is not fair to either of them.

I am fine with this with 2 parting shots:

1) Sanders fat, lazy and with a broken ankle would be the second best player on the team and the only defender other than Moton

2) BC lost to Yale, Harvard, URI and Miami twice. Saying that this team was never a tournament team is revisionist history of epic proportions based on 5 really bad losses.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Art Vandelay on Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:20 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:You know what would be great is if we could keeo talking about the former coach and former cheese steak eating players. Who the eff cares what would have or might have happened if Al and/or Sanders, ravenel, Heslip etc were here? They aren't and anything anyone says about what would have happened if they were is a guess. If Sanders was in shape and if a bunch of incoming freshmen no one ever saw play were as good as people thought they maybe might be and all the rest of the crap being thrown around is bullshit. WHO CARES????

I am fine with this with 2 parting shots:

1) Sanders fat, lazy and with a broken ankle would be the second best player on the team and the only defender other than Moton

2) BC lost to Yale, Harvard, URI and Miami twice. Saying that this team was never a tournament team is revisionist history of epic proportions based on 5 really bad losses.

I agree on Sanders. As I said, even with him not living up to potential he is better than most on thisroster. Jackson is certainly better and you could make a case for Trapani but he is 2 or 3 either way.

I have said from day 1 this was not a tournament team and have never waivered from that. They lost some games they should not have and won some they should not have, but I never thought they were going to the dance. You had them at 20 wins and on the bubble since November. I thought they would end up about the same as last year. So I am not being revisionist.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:24 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Logical.

For me I'd probably just base it on 5 losses to crap teams and the fact there are still 3 games left on the schedule (at least) they should win. Would an Al-coached team still have lost some stinkers? Probably. But even a couple/three game swing here seems like the difference between NCAA and NIT. Like Al or not, he seemed to have built the roster towards this year being a solid season. And in a down ACC, it seems to me that would have been the case (record-wise). The fact that Sanders' was lazy on occassion somehow is used to say that he'd make fewer contributions than Rubin, Moton, Cahill, et al (or that his laziness + effect on the other players also nets less) is silly. With Evan, Sanders, and the 3 frosh this team would have more talent, more options, more big men, more depth, more experience, more defense, and more fuel in their legs down the stretch -- all of which leads directly to more wins.

That being said, I'm glad the Don is here now and on his way to building a successful future. It's weird living in a world where if you say something positive about Skinner, then you hate the Don and vice versa. Get over it already.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby commavegarage on Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:44 pm

Still trying to comprehend how wins in ACC Tourney >>>> Wins in NCAA tourney.
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:30 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:Still trying to comprehend how wins in ACC Tourney >>>> Wins in NCAA tourney.

Winning a conference championship is better than everything other than a Final Four appearance. The fact that people continually attribute some level accomplishment to the 15 teams that fail to win the championship still mystifies me. Actually, it doesn't. The Sweet 16 was chosen because it is where Al's success ended. If Al never made the 32, that would be the line. If Al had 4 Sweet 16s, but never went further, than the Elite Eight would be the line.

Fact is that winning your conference makes you a conference champion. Winning a round of 32 game makes you one of 16 teams that won a round of 32 game. The former gets you remembered as the winner of one of the best conferences in America, the latter gets you forgotten.

Unless you are one of the final four, winning games in the tournament <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<winning conference championship in Big East or ACC.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:29 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:4) A FR who has appeared in 7 games on a middle of the road BE team.

By the way, the middle of the road BE team of which you speak is less than a year removed from a Final Four and currently has something like 6 top 50 RPI wins and SOS of 4. Oh and they're better than 80% of the ACC.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum