BC-Fordham

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

BC-Fordham

Postby claver2010 on Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:03 pm

Apparently next year BC will be playing Fordham at the Izod Center as part of a double header. Good chance for all the NYC area alums to see the :screamyeagle
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Re: BC-Fordham

Postby Logitano on Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:11 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Apparently next year BC will be playing Fordham at the Izod Center as part of a double header. Good chance for all the NYC area alums to see the :screamyeagle

Fordham is bringing in about 500-1000 fans for their games at the Izod Center. This should be a lot of fun. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby Logitano on Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:33 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:Apparently next year BC will be playing Fordham at the Izod Center as part of a double header. Good chance for all the NYC area alums to see the :screamyeagle

Fordham is bringing in about 500-1000 fans for their games at the Izod Center. This should be a lot of fun. :ace

i hope the fls jerks remember where they spent more time

The FLS grads alone on this board could fill up the entire building. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:45 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:

My wife just asked me at the St John's game why I dont give a shit about Fordham athletics. I basically considered FLS a trade school. :duchE
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:03 pm

Put that one in the "we could WTF this one" next season.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Logitano on Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:40 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:

My wife just asked me at the St John's game why I dont give a shit about Fordham athletics. I basically considered FLS a trade school. :duchE

what did you trade for it, dignity? :koolaid

:whammy :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:34 pm

BC won't lose to Fordham. If they do, they are in trouble. Fairfield, on the other hand, would beat BC pretty handily with Needham and Sanders and a ton of talent.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:41 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:BC won't lose to Fordham. If they do, they are in trouble. Fairfield, on the other hand, would beat BC pretty handily with Needham and Sanders and a ton of talent.

Will Sanders be big enough for the 5 by then? They have a good A&S and a place for very good deli for bacon, egg & cheeses near campus.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:46 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:BC won't lose to Fordham. If they do, they are in trouble. Fairfield, on the other hand, would beat BC pretty handily with Needham and Sanders and a ton of talent.

Will Sanders be big enough for the 5 by then? They have a good A&S and a place for very good deli for bacon, egg & cheeses near campus.

Don't know. Do know that Sanders would be pretty fucking useful on a team that is hovering on the bubble and is pretty much one legit scoring swingman, fat or not, away from being a 7 seed in the dance. Next BC game, squint when you look at Danny Rubin starting as a walkon at the 3, and imagine Rakim Sanders.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:51 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

Don't know. Do know that Sanders would be pretty fucking useful on a team that is hovering on the bubble and is pretty much one legit scoring swingman, fat or not, away from being a 7 seed in the dance. Next BC game, squint when you look at Danny Rubin starting as a walkon at the 3, and imagine Rakim Sanders.

Against Miami would Rakim feel like playing or not?
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:52 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

Again, irrelevant. Wake me when Rubin puts up 13 ppg in the ACC or singlehandedly beats UNC.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:03 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

Again, irrelevant. Wake me when Rubin puts up 13 ppg in the ACC or singlehandedly beats UNC.

It wasn't a Rakim for Rubin comparison.

If it was you'd have to factor in the 2 double cheesesteaks/day & 20 lbs of weed that BC's campus gained as well.

Look, I liked Rakim when he got here but as the years progressed I realized I liked the idea of Rakim. A guy who came into BC with a pro-body, could lock down a 2-3 and had a decent/good inside outside game. That Rakim wasn't there, what we had was a guy who became content chucking 25' despite usually being the strongest player on the court and playing when he wanted to with no reprocussions. Rakim didn't want to work, not any one's fault but his own that he isn't here any more.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:08 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

If it was you'd have to factor in the 2 double cheesesteaks/day & 20 lbs of weed that BC's campus gained as well.

Look, I liked Rakim when he got here but as the years progressed I realized I liked the idea of Rakim. A guy who came into BC with a pro-body, could lock down a 2-3 and had a decent/good inside outside game. That Rakim wasn't there, what we had was a guy who became content chucking 25' despite usually being the strongest player on the court and playing when he wanted to with no reprocussions. Rakim didn't want to work, not any one's fault but his own that he isn't here any more.

No doubt that Rakim did not live up to potential. I agree that you look at him and see great things, and then they don't happen. However, two things:

1. Not living up to potential, he was a 13 ppg scorer, with 5 boards and 2.5 assists, that could lock up an opponent at times, hit the boards at a guard position, had a penchant for those soul crushing blocked shots on the fast break that turn momentum in your favor, hit a bunch of crunch time buckets (something BC really needs to take pressure off of Reggie) and on occassion, absolutely took over games offensively (the first half outburst against UNC stands out). By definition, you have to compare him to Rubin when pondering the impact he woulkd have made on this year's team.

2. I have to believe that if he had stayed, he would have been in better shape under the Don. Everyone else is. Not saying he would have bought into it, and maybe that's why he left, but had he stayed, he would have been in shape.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCMurt09 on Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:03 pm

Things are going to get interesting in the Murt household:

Papa Murt- FU '82, FLS '86
Mama Murt- FU '83, FLS '86
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:53 pm

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:Things are going to get interesting in the Murt household:

i'd like to mark this as a first...

first poster to tell us that his PARENTS are lawyers. teddy only gets partial credit (credit for dark sided jedi/no credit for cinnamon bun head)

FAMILY ATTACK!!!
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:09 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

No doubt that Rakim did not live up to potential. I agree that you look at him and see great things, and then they don't happen. However, two things:

1. Not living up to potential, he was a 13 ppg scorer, with 5 boards and 2.5 assists, that could lock up an opponent at times, hit the boards at a guard position, had a penchant for those soul crushing blocked shots on the fast break that turn momentum in your favor, hit a bunch of crunch time buckets (something BC really needs to take pressure off of Reggie) and on occassion, absolutely took over games offensively (the first half outburst against UNC stands out). By definition, you have to compare him to Rubin when pondering the impact he woulkd have made on this year's team.

2. I have to believe that if he had stayed, he would have been in better shape under the Don. Everyone else is. Not saying he would have bought into it, and maybe that's why he left, but had he stayed, he would have been in shape.

I'll honestly say I'd rather lose with Danny Rubin (who has absolutely no business playing big minutes on an ACC team, just like Tyler Roche never did) than be a little better and have to put up with Rakim Sanders. Great talent, but total waste of talent in my opinion. Rubin is good as a spot shooter off the bench for 5 minutes a night, which is going to leave us in a serious bind next season af SF with him and Elmore.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Logitano on Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:12 pm

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:Things are going to get interesting in the Murt household:

Will there be special nametags for FLS grads or just assume if you are not wearing a nametag at the game the person went to FLS since you all know each other? :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:19 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:I'll honestly say I'd rather lose with Danny Rubin (who has absolutely no business playing big minutes on an ACC team, just like Tyler Roche never did) than be a little better and have to put up with Rakim Sanders. Great talent, but total waste of talent in my opinion. Rubin is good as a spot shooter off the bench for 5 minutes a night, which is going to leave us in a serious bind next season af SF with him and Elmore.

If by "be a little better and have to put up with Rakim Sanders" you mean "deal with one season of a kid that would ensure the NCAA tourney," then I utterly disagree with you.

Sanders was a waste of GREAT talent. He didn't play to his GREAT talent. Even so, he was often still the best player on the floor. If you can't put up with kids that are prima donnas or figure out how to get the best of them, then you don't belong coaching in D1 and your team is going to stink.

Seriously, as a total waste of talent, the guy was a 13 ppg, 5 reb, 2.5 assist guy that played the best defense on the team. Saying you'd rather have Rubin over him because guys that don't work hard on their own make you want to take your ball and go home is retarded.

Sanders annoyed the shit out of me, I hope they can avoid guys with his attitude in the future, and I would trade any of the bottom 8 guys on the roster for him right now and twice on Saturday. And even if he didn't play hard, the team would be a lot better. Just having him on the floor would make it easier for Reggie and Trapani to score.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCEagles25 on Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:27 pm

No doubt in this system with the assumed hard work, he'd average 18-20 with 5-8 boards a game. But I can't assume he would buy into the system and work hard. That's why I'll take Rubin. A 6-6 pure shooter is a benefit to our system, so it's a win-win with either.

However, I think Sanders would be a cancer in the locker room. He's clearly a lazy worker. I don't really want his negativity in the locker room, and his laziness could rub off on the other players. It's hard to win when you have 4 guys on the floor who are working hard with a common goal, and one who is going at half speed and throwing up shots at his leisure.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:58 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:one who is going at half speed and throwing up shots at his leisure.

aka Rakim Sanders in his entire tenure at BC. I'm not at all as sold on Rubin as you are but that's fine.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Eagledom on Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:25 pm

sanders is a lottery pick!!!!!
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:34 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:

Glad I could draw you out of retirement. Sad to see you aren't anymore interesting.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Eagledom on Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:06 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:

Glad I could draw you out of retirement. Sad to see you aren't anymore interesting.

yes, because I am sure you said that just for my benefit. A) You didn't. B) If you did, it would be REALLY REALLY Pathetic.

Fact is, this board just bores the hell out of me nowadays, and the amount of actual knowledgeable sports talk is minimal (your post being a perfect example), so I rarely read or post aymore.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:13 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:

yes, because I am sure you said that just for my benefit. A) You didn't. B) If you did, it would be REALLY REALLY Pathetic.

Fact is, this board just bores the hell out of me nowadays, and the amount of actual knowledgeable sports talk is minimal (your post being a perfect example), so I rarely read or post aymore.

Actually, no, I was having a good discussion with smart hoops weirdos. Didn't give you a single thought, its been interesting talking about hoop instead of baiting you endlessly to my eternal amusement. But I can't take credit for baiting you this time, I had forgotten you existed.

As for the board boring you nowadays, that's no surprise. The only thing we talk about here is basketball under the new coach and you don't have anything to bitch about with him, unlike the last guy, if you know what I mean.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:04 am

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:However, I think Sanders would be a cancer in the locker room. He's clearly a lazy worker. I don't really want his negativity in the locker room, and his laziness could rub off on the other players. It's hard to win when you have 4 guys on the floor who are working hard with a common goal, and one who is going at half speed and throwing up shots at his leisure.

It's actually not that difficult to win if the talent outweighs the negative effect (as it does with many top 10 teams year after year). It's also fairly questionable exactly how negative he would be (or the Don would allow him to be) because it's tough to say how much was Rakim and how much was A* S******. BC would be a more complete team, better defensively, alow other players to fill roles better fit for them, deeper, and a much more dangerous team with higher aspirations. To me those assertions draw from reality and involve far less speculation than saying Rubin is more valuable overall this year than Rakim would have been just because Rakim was lazy at times.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:18 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:However, I think Sanders would be a cancer in the locker room. He's clearly a lazy worker. I don't really want his negativity in the locker room, and his laziness could rub off on the other players. It's hard to win when you have 4 guys on the floor who are working hard with a common goal, and one who is going at half speed and throwing up shots at his leisure.

It's actually not that difficult to win if the talent outweighs the negative effect (as it does with many top 10 teams year after year). It's also fairly questionable exactly how negative he would be (or the Don would allow him to be) because it's tough to say how much was Rakim and how much was A* S******. BC would be a more complete team, better defensively, alow other players to fill roles better fit for them, deeper, and a much more dangerous team with higher aspirations. To me those assertions draw from reality and involve far less speculation than saying Rubin is more valuable overall this year than Rakim would have been just because Rakim was lazy at times.

Possibly. That makes sense. But, I tend to think that his "this is a hard workout, can we stop?" attitude in the locker room would maybe be the difference between Joe Trapani diving for a loose ball (as he does this year) or watching it roll out of bounds. One bad attitude can make all the difference, especially on the younger guys.

But unfortunately we'll never know.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:31 am

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:One bad attitude can make all the difference, especially on the younger guys.

Which I think they got from a certain point guard...
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Return to Conte Forum