MELLOW KNICK YELLOW

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

MELLOW KNICK YELLOW

Postby BCEagle74 on Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:48 pm

Knicks going no where without big men.

Sources: Knicks land Carmelo Anthony

The New York Knicks have acquired Carmelo Anthony, sources told ESPN The Magazine's senior writer Chris Broussard on Monday night.

Completing the deal, Denver will get Wilson Chandler, Raymond Felton, Danilo Gallinari, Timofey Mozgov, the Knicks' 2014 first-round draft pick, the Warriors' 2012 second-round pick, the Warriors' 2013 second-round pick and $3 million in cash while Chauncey Billups, Shelden Williams, Anthony Carter and Renaldo Balkman will head to New York, according to the Denver Post.

Anthony wasn't at the Nuggets' practice on Monday night. Instead, the All-Star forward was in Burbank, Calif., taping a segment on "Conan."

Anthony, who has been the subject of intense speculation as Thursday's trade deadline approaches, stayed behind in Los Angeles following the NBA All-Star Game while his teammates gathered at the Pepsi Center.

Team spokesman Tim Gelt told The Associated Press that Anthony's absence was excused. Late Monday afternoon, Anthony tweeted: "Headed to Burbank to film THE CONAN SHOW."

Anthony has been the subject of trade talks ever since he declined to sign a three-year, $65 million extension with the Nuggets last summer. His biggest pursuers were the Knicks and New Jersey Nets.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Re: MELLOW KNICK YELLOW

Postby branchinator on Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:07 pm

This trade won't make the Knicks much better but they'll at least be more interesting. The Knicks somehow figured out a way to make their team defense even worse.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:28 pm

branchinator {l Wrote}:This trade won't make the Knicks much better but they'll at least be more interesting. The Knicks somehow figured out a way to make their team defense even worse.

Read my mind...that team defense is going to be even worse.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:41 pm

I like Dantoniio but as long as Dolan and Isaiah are assocaited with the team they will never win.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:33 am

1973 -- I had hair.

The Knicks can play hard defense just like BC and any other team..

It's all ....wanna

D'Antoni teams were world class defensive slackers in PHX and the Knicks lack that natural DNA.

I think Denver mad a great deal and the Knicks think next year with Chris Paul and Deron Williams will be the point guard and win a bunny??

I would love to see Karl piece this new team together with lost of nice assets this year and make a playoff upset or two and then watch Dolan Isiah and the Knicks collapse as usual.

It will be interesting to see what Dnever gets for Danilo Gallinari... so goes Danilo so goes the NBA....

You laughed when I posted that months ago..

Who is lauging now...

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:42 am

The NBA is all about stars. The Cs win nothing without Pierce or (especially) Garnett. Anthony is a 26-year-old legit star. You fill the rest of the roster with minimum contract types and they will be competing year-in and year-out. I mean... look at how bad the Cleve is doing sans LeBron.

All that said... Knicks aren't getting Paul or Williams. No one will be able to have 3 max contracts in the new CBA (because they are putting in a real cap). So... the Knicks will have to stay at 2 legit stars. The real problem with the Knicks is Amare's knees. The guy is Brandon Roy/Greg Oden. The Suns were trying to give him away 2 years ago and largely stayed away from the bidding this Summer because their doctors thought there wasn't much time left on a guy with no cartiledge in his knee. Can Carmelo win anything of note if Amare is injured or greatly hindered?

Regardless of who made the trade (I.Thomas), it is a very good deal. Gallinari is not Dirk. Mozgov is a poor man's Darko Milicic. Felton was a rent-a-player. Wilson Chandler is a free agent. These parts are really more valuable to the Knicks than they are worth anything to Denver. They are all nice role players for a team with a star. But, if the Knicks were able to keep 2 of these guys (which seemed likely as of Thursday as they were still refusing Gallinari and Mozgov), they would be a legit threat this year to win the whole thing.

Kinda weird that the Nets did nothing but make it so expensive that the Knicks couldn't win anything major. It's also kinda weird that Anthony just didn't kick the Nets out of the process earlier (in which case he would have 1 or 2 real nice teammates to win now). Finally... what the eff happened to Corey Brewer? He was so awesome at Florida. Now... he is a throw-in expiring contract.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby apbc12 on Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:35 am

HJS {l Wrote}: Finally... what the eff happened to Corey Brewer? He was so awesome at Florida. Now... he is a throw-in expiring contract.

I was wondering the same thing yesterday. I thought he would end up being by a healthy margin the best pro from that Florida team.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby Logitano on Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:01 pm

The Knicks as previously configured were good but not good enough. I have no problem blowing up the roster for Melo. Not one of those players was worth not doing this deal over even if satan himself was pulling the strings of dolan. I think Donnie did a great job putting the knicks in the proper position to do the deal. Would have liked to have kept Chandler or Galo to have a backup at SF and melo certainly could have helped out the bockers by saying there was no chance he would ever sign with the nyets. He did not do it but he did get paid and is now playing for the franchise he wanted to play for so he wins. As a season ticket holder for the NYK I just won too because my tickets for the next few games just quadrupled in price. Good times, aint we luck we got them, Good times! :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:12 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:The Knicks as previously configured were good but not good enough. I have no problem blowing up the roster for Melo. Not one of those players was worth not doing this deal over even if satan himself was pulling the strings of dolan. I think Donnie did a great job putting the knicks in the proper position to do the deal. Would have liked to have kept Chandler or Galo to have a backup at SF and melo certainly could have helped out the bockers by saying there was no chance he would ever sign with the nyets. He did not do it but he did get paid and is now playing for the franchise he wanted to play for so he wins. As a season ticket holder for the NYK I just won too because my tickets for the next few games just quadrupled in price. Good times, aint we luck we got them, Good times! :ace

Problem with Chandler was that he wasn't going to be here next year, I would've liked to keep Gallo. 22 years old and still improving, he'd be great to hover along the 3 point line when Melo drives to the hoop.

Walsh deserves credit for getting this team out of cap armageddon -the idea that Isaiah is still in Dolans ear makes me want to :suicide . He must have something on Dolan, there's no other explanation.

Bottom line is you need stars to win in this league, they have 2 of the top 15 players at 28 & 26, it's easier to fill in the role players.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Logitano on Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:25 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:The Knicks as previously configured were good but not good enough. I have no problem blowing up the roster for Melo. Not one of those players was worth not doing this deal over even if satan himself was pulling the strings of dolan. I think Donnie did a great job putting the knicks in the proper position to do the deal. Would have liked to have kept Chandler or Galo to have a backup at SF and melo certainly could have helped out the bockers by saying there was no chance he would ever sign with the nyets. He did not do it but he did get paid and is now playing for the franchise he wanted to play for so he wins. As a season ticket holder for the NYK I just won too because my tickets for the next few games just quadrupled in price. Good times, aint we luck we got them, Good times! :ace

Problem with Chandler was that he wasn't going to be here next year, I would've liked to keep Gallo. 22 years old and still improving, he'd be great to hover along the 3 point line when Melo drives to the hoop.

Walsh deserves credit for getting this team out of cap armageddon -the idea that Isaiah is still in Dolans ear makes me want to :suicide . He must have something on Dolan, there's no other explanation.

Bottom line is you need stars to win in this league, they have 2 of the top 15 players at 28 & 26, it's easier to fill in the role players.

I should amend my statement in that I would have liked either gallo or chandler to remain as a backup for this year. We are now incredibly thin at that spot and I do not see us being able to address that until after the season so chandler leaving as a free agent possibly even as a sign and trade would have helped us through this particular season.
Dolan is a weird guy and he either loves your or hates you. Once he loves someone there is literally nothing that person can do to lose that love and vice versa if he has no use for someone that never changes. Dolan loves Zeke. Dolan is the retarded son of a man who was smart. Ranger fans always want to know what Slats has on Dolan. Nothing, Dolan just worships the guy. He is not an incredibly smart guy who puts a high premium on the wrong things. There is a lot more I could say on this matter but I am happy today. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:34 pm

"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Logitano on Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:42 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Great article from Lupica.
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baske ... _thom.html

"I read Mike Lupica!" Best quote in the history of broadcast television. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:40 pm

Wait, what?

The Knicks aren't any better today than they were yesterday. And Amare is 28 going on 45. They did get a big star though, although he is grossly overrated. But it should ensure more butts in the seats to witness .500 basketball.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Logitano on Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:28 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Wait, what?

The Knicks aren't any better today than they were yesterday. And Amare is 28 going on 45. They did get a big star though, although he is grossly overrated. But it should ensure more butts in the seats to witness .500 basketball.

The Knicks are better than they were yesterday by a country mile. The Knicks sell out almost every game. Everytime you write something like that I wish the coward paul pierce had finished the job when he attempted suicide 10 years ago. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:38 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:

The Knicks are better than they were yesterday by a country mile. The Knicks sell out almost every game. Everytime you write something like that I wish the coward paul pierce had finished the job when he attempted suicide 10 years ago. :ace

The Knicks may not even be as good today as they were yesterday. Enjoy the "Pay Amare to get surgery and watch Carmelo go for 30 on 56 shots while giving up 140 points" era of Knick hoop.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Shredder on Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:02 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:

You must mean NBA champion Paul Pierce. Melo's Knicks are the perfect tenants for the World's Most Famous Arena and all the banners its pro teams put in the rafters.
Shredder
McGuinn Hall

Postby Logitano on Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:03 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:

The Knicks may not even be as good today as they were yesterday. Enjoy the "Pay Amare to get surgery and watch Carmelo go for 30 on 56 shots while giving up 140 points" era of Knick hoop.

You have grossly overrated how good the knicks were yesterday if you think they may even be worse. I say that as a person who has watched every game this season. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:06 pm

Have to agree with 9 on this. They decimated their roster for this trade, and that would even be fine if they had 2 superstars, but they have 1, given that Amare is toast. So Carmelo is going to try to carry the team, and he's a very, very, good player, but he's not good enough to carry them night in and night out. Ronnie Turiaf is this team's starting center. Ronnie Turiaf.

That being said, while they're not better, it may still have been a good trade. At least they'll sell some tickets, and they weren't a legit contender anyways.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby commavegarage on Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:16 pm

There is no way the Knicks end up only 3 or 4 games over .500 or worse at the end of this year. Therefore, they are better than they were yesterday.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby Logitano on Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:07 pm

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:Have to agree with 9 on this. They decimated their roster for this trade, and that would even be fine if they had 2 superstars, but they have 1, given that Amare is toast. So Carmelo is going to try to carry the team, and he's a very, very, good player, but he's not good enough to carry them night in and night out. Ronnie Turiaf is this team's starting center. Ronnie Turiaf.

That being said, while they're not better, it may still have been a good trade. At least they'll sell some tickets, and they weren't a legit contender anyways.

Ok so your opinion is entirely based on Amare Stoudemire will never play basketball again starting tomorrow. Got it. The knicks are a sell out or almost a sell out every night so you think for the extra 100-200 tickets they may sell for a couple of games this was a good trade. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:26 pm

This is only a good trade (a) 2 seasons from now if (b) the Knicks can sign a guy like Dwight Howard and (c) Amare doesn't break in the meantime and (d) they get rid of that bum Schottenheimer D'Antoni that coaches them and thinks defense is overrated. For the next two seasons, the Knicks remain what they were - a .500 team with no defense. They got a great scorer, but are left with one big and a PG that can't do anything but shoot at this point in his career.

Adding a PG that can't penetrate and a ball hog. Amare is going to love this shit.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:05 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:This is only a good trade (a) 2 seasons from now if (b) the Knicks can sign a guy like Dwight Howard and (c) Amare doesn't break in the meantime and (d) they get rid of that bum Schottenheimer D'Antoni that coaches them and thinks defense is overrated. For the next two seasons, the Knicks remain what they were - a .500 team with no defense. They got a great scorer, but are left with one big and a PG that can't do anything but shoot at this point in his career.

Adding a PG that can't penetrate and a ball hog. Amare is going to love this shit.

Phoenix Suns East.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:14 am

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:Have to agree with 9 on this. They decimated their roster for this trade, and that would even be fine if they had 2 superstars, but they have 1, given that Amare is toast. So Carmelo is going to try to carry the team, and he's a very, very, good player, but he's not good enough to carry them night in and night out. Ronnie Turiaf is this team's starting center. Ronnie Turiaf.

And the Cs did worse damage to their roster to acquire Garnett. They filled it with late 1st rounders, 2nd rounders and exception contracts... and then they went out and won the gd NBA championship. Every team would gut their roster for one of the true bonafide stars in the Association. The Knicks are better today than they were yesterday. And they are better tomorrow too. The issues with Amare's knees are real. But, they already had the risk. They didn't just acquire him in the deal.

The question I raised was whether they are good enough. They aren't. Amare was a well-deserved All-Star and, so long as he can deal with the bone-on-bone grinding, he will continue to be an elite player. When combined with Carmelo, this means that the Knicks will win twice as many games as they lose. They don't play D and that will be their death in the second round of the playoffs. But, they will make the second round (which they couldn't say before the trade).
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:29 am

Garnett had lesser knee issues too, -------but the Celtics had Ainge and some real talent --- Rondo, Pierce and Ray and LSU Baby is a solid sub? Perkins and others. The Celts had some stars???

The Knicks have Dolan and Isiah now in the lead and much less talent. Walsh is now a GM dunsel and he gave away the talent needed if Amare goes down or to even go deep in the playoffs??

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:32 am

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:The Knicks have Dolan and Isiah now in the lead and much less talent. Walsh is now a GM dunsel and he gave away the talent needed if Amare goes down or to even go deep in the playoffs??

Would that talent replacing Amare be anywhere good enough to win a playoff series? Probably not. They took a risk to become better. Sports are full of them. Like blowing a long-developed endowment to build a massive dome in a heavily-populated NIMBY area. Or taking on hood rats just because they run sub-4.3 40's. Or offering 12 year olds...
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:44 am

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:Garnett had lesser knee issues too, -------but the Celtics had Ainge and some real talent --- Rondo, Pierce and Ray and LSU Baby is a solid sub? Perkins and others. The Celts had some stars???

The Garnett deal occurred in the Summer of 2007. At that time, Rondo was coming off a less-than-stellar rookie compaign where he only started 20 games. Glen Davis had just been drafted out of LSU in the SECOND ROUND. Neither was considered to be anything.

What happens in these situations is that players rise up and fill roles. Which, in candor, is much easier to do on a team with stars than without. Is Rondo a great player if he is on the Nets? No. Does Felton go back to sucking with the Nuggets? Likely.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:00 pm

Sounds like you can cross DWill off the list of potential Knicks.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Saveagle on Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:05 pm

Well, he ain't signing a long term deal with the Nets, so he just might still be available as a free agent next summer. Depending on how big the cap is under a new CBA of course.
Saveagle
Carney Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:26 pm

The Nets and Billy King and the Russian Zillionaire absolutely buried Dolan and Isiah.

He drove the price up for Melo so high that the Knicks are still no where near beating Miami and Boston or Orlando since they gave up too many bench and starter assets and picks.

Walsh was right and Dolan hit the Peter JF Panic Button. The original Walsh offer was so far less and the Nets made the Knicks pay dearly in draft choices and talent.

BILLY KING -- GM of the Year!!!... what a move! He signs DW and has the cap for Howard and Lopez and the rest, The Nets are farther along and if Stoudamire blows out a knee... The Nuggets will win a Bunny before Dolan the Dolt and Isiah the Pornocoach.

DW leaves... Billy can sign Chris Paul??

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:33 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

And the Cs did worse damage to their roster to acquire Garnett. They filled it with late 1st rounders, 2nd rounders and exception contracts... and then they went out and won the gd NBA championship. Every team would gut their roster for one of the true bonafide stars in the Association. The Knicks are better today than they were yesterday. And they are better tomorrow too. The issues with Amare's knees are real. But, they already had the risk. They didn't just acquire him in the deal.

The question I raised was whether they are good enough. They aren't. Amare was a well-deserved All-Star and, so long as he can deal with the bone-on-bone grinding, he will continue to be an elite player. When combined with Carmelo, this means that the Knicks will win twice as many games as they lose. They don't play D and that will be their death in the second round of the playoffs. But, they will make the second round (which they couldn't say before the trade).

Yeah, this really isn't anything like the Garnett/Allen acquisitions, which happened in the same preseason to add a 2nd and 3rd star. The Cs already had a young center that they didn't trade and had just made the steal of the draft with Glen Davis. They also had a PG that was about to blossom, Rondo, and a defensive stopper in Tony Allen, and a bull on the glass in leon Powe. Add to that fact that FA was still going on, so they made the roster deep with guys that were contributers, like Posey and House.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Next

Return to Conte Forum