Andy Katz

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Andy Katz

Postby Art Vandelay on Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:25 am

Andy Katz got a BC question in his chat on espn.com. Thought is take on Jackson was interesting (and hopefully inaccurate):

Andy:Yoiur thoughts on what BC has to down the stretch to stay on the right side of the bubble? does Reggie Jackson return next year, and your thoughts on coach donahue and staff so far

Andy Katz (3:36 PM)

I anticipate Reggie Jackson will leave since the draft is incredibly weak and he could be a first-round pick. BC is on the bubble. No question. Beat UNC Saturday and the Eagles will move up. BC needs to beat one of the top teams in the ACC.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Re: Andy Katz

Postby apbc12 on Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:49 am

If he would be a first round pick it would be silly to stay, and I'd wish him well.

That said (no one murder me please), as much as I like Reggae I'm not sure he's a long term NBA player at this point. He's stuck between positions a little bit, and would get annihilated defensively. He has the potential but I don't think he's reached it.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:52 am

Reggie is an NBA player either way, but he is not a first round pick right now and needs another year to work on the ball handling, which has greatly improved and can get better. He's a PG in the League, and without another year (one in which he would be the primary handler with Biko gone), he would sit the bench for a while.

He needs to prove that he can be less Troy Bell and more Howard Eisley.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Art Vandelay on Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:01 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Reggie is an NBA player either way, but he is not a first round pick right now and needs another year to work on the ball handling, which has greatly improved and can get better. He's a PG in the League, and without another year (one in which he would be the primary handler with Biko gone), he would sit the bench for a while.

I agree with you that he is not a first round pick and needs to work on his ball handling because he needs to be a PG to make it in the NBA.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:14 am

At times over the year he had me saying "Wow, this is a legit NBA player." Through most of the year his handle has been good, his shot has been good, his athleticism has been off the charts, his confidence has been there and his leadership is present. The bad three game stretch had me worried though -- I have to wonder why he was in the doghouse. But I'll bet he could grow to be a role player with a decent NBA team, almost like Dudley. I'm not sure Jackson could be an important sixth man on a team the way Dudley has been during his time in PHX. JD is just a different kind of player so I'm comparing apples to oranges here.

I met Jackson at the Alumni once, and told him he was awesome. I rule.
Last edited by BCEagles25 on Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby BC923 on Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:14 am

The NBA draft is mostly about wowing people with your athletic ability and skills are second. If Reggie went to a draft workout he would get picked, but I'm not sold on him as an NBA player yet.

I hope he stays.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby branchinator on Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:34 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:At times over the year he had me saying "Wow, this is a legit NBA player." Through most of the year his handle has been good, his shot has been good, his athleticism has been off the charts, his confidence has been there and his leadership is present. The bad three game stretch had me worried though -- I have to wonder why he was in the doghouse. But I'll bet he could grow to be a role player with a decent NBA team, almost like Dudley. I'm not sure Jackson could be an important sixth man on a team the way Dudley has been during his time in PHX. JD is just a different kind of player so I'm comparing apples to oranges here.

Did he autograph your breasts? This is important!
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:05 pm

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Reggie is an NBA player either way, but he is not a first round pick right now and needs another year to work on the ball handling, which has greatly improved and can get better. He's a PG in the League, and without another year (one in which he would be the primary handler with Biko gone), he would sit the bench for a while.

I agree with you that he is not a first round pick and needs to work on his ball handling because he needs to be a PG to make it in the NBA.

Agreed here I can't imagine he goes NBA. Also, not totally sure we need a UNC or Duke victory in order to make the NCAA(s). Just take care of business.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:01 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:

Agreed here I can't imagine he goes NBA. Also, not totally sure we need a UNC or Duke victory in order to make the NCAA(s). Just take care of business.

We need a victory over a top team to not sweat it out on selection sunday. Obviously need to beat Miami, UVA and Wake regardless, but add a UNC win to that and we can feel secure. 9-7 with our resume is not automatic.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:19 pm

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:

We need a victory over a top team to not sweat it out on selection sunday. Obviously need to beat Miami, UVA and Wake regardless, but add a UNC win to that and we can feel secure. 9-7 with our resume is not automatic.

9-7 will depend on our ACCT Result. 10-6 and we should be fine. All the more reason that game today hurts. Unfortunately with the way we're playing I'm nearly positive we're losing to Miami so I'm not sure it matters.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby apbc12 on Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:36 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Unfortunately with the way we're playing I'm nearly positive we're losing to Miami so I'm not sure it matters.

I dub thee HoopsJS.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby angrychicken on Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:48 pm

Reggie is nowhere near a first round pick this year. I'm not even sure he gets picked in the second. You hoops weirdos are crazy.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:58 am

apbc12 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Unfortunately with the way we're playing I'm nearly positive we're losing to Miami so I'm not sure it matters.

I dub thee HoopsJS.

So I get accused of being a merryman and then HJS....right.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby EagleDave on Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:21 am

The way Jackson has all but vanished against the best teams we've played in conference this season leads me to believe he'll be back. He can run up all the numbers he wants against teams like Bryant and Bucknell, but he's been unable to do it against top tier competition once the calendar turned to 2011.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:19 pm

EagleDave {l Wrote}:The way Jackson has all but vanished against the best teams we've played in conference this season leads me to believe he'll be back. He can run up all the numbers he wants against teams like Bryant and Bucknell, but he's been unable to do it against top tier competition once the calendar turned to 2011.

I missed the second Maryland game, but my innocent bystander-like skills lead to believe that he had a really good game. Granted Maryland is not amazing, but solid competition.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:02 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
EagleDave {l Wrote}:The way Jackson has all but vanished against the best teams we've played in conference this season leads me to believe he'll be back. He can run up all the numbers he wants against teams like Bryant and Bucknell, but he's been unable to do it against top tier competition once the calendar turned to 2011.

I missed the second Maryland game, but my innocent bystander-like skills lead to believe that he had a really good game. Granted Maryland is not amazing, but solid competition.

What part of the "best team's we've played in conference" did you miss? Maryland is 5-6 in conference and in 7th place. Pretty sure he was talking about the disapperaing act he pulled in the Duke, UNC and VT games.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby branchinator on Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:11 pm

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

What part of the "best team's we've played in conference" did you miss? Maryland is 5-6 in conference and in 7th place. Pretty sure he was talking about the disapperaing act he pulled in the Duke, UNC and VT games.

That's probably because it's pretty difficult to have a good game against upper echelon teams when you have the entire defense focusing on you every play.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:29 pm

branchinator {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

That's probably because it's pretty difficult to have a good game against upper echelon teams when you have the entire defense focusing on you every play.

I'm not debating the reason, just saying the MD game has nothing to do with the comment Dave made. That said he took 11, 10 and 13 shots in the games mentioned which is about his average so defenses focusing on him didn't prevent shots from going up. I watched those games and he made bad decisions and took bad shots. If you get doubled, someone else is open and great players find that open man not force it up. I love Reggie, but he has not played well when we have played the top teams in the ACC. It's as simple as that.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCHerbert on Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:11 pm

branchinator {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:At times over the year he had me saying "Wow, this is a legit NBA player." Through most of the year his handle has been good, his shot has been good, his athleticism has been off the charts, his confidence has been there and his leadership is present. The bad three game stretch had me worried though -- I have to wonder why he was in the doghouse. But I'll bet he could grow to be a role player with a decent NBA team, almost like Dudley. I'm not sure Jackson could be an important sixth man on a team the way Dudley has been during his time in PHX. JD is just a different kind of player so I'm comparing apples to oranges here.

Did he autograph your breasts? This is important!

No, but he autographed mine....mmmmmmmm........mmmmmmmmm......mmmmmmmmmmmm...okay, I'm finished reminiscing....
BCHerbert
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:21 pm

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:

Reggie needs year 4 to polish his skills.

Reggie even in a weak draft is a project.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:38 pm

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
branchinator {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

I'm not debating the reason, just saying the MD game has nothing to do with the comment Dave made. That said he took 11, 10 and 13 shots in the games mentioned which is about his average so defenses focusing on him didn't prevent shots from going up. I watched those games and he made bad decisions and took bad shots. If you get doubled, someone else is open and great players find that open man not force it up. I love Reggie, but he has not played well when we have played the top teams in the ACC. It's as simple as that.

His support cast isn't all too wonderful, I think that's the only point he was trying to make. And when your supporting cast isn't very good, it forces Reggie into taking some bad shots, etc.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:32 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
branchinator {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

His support cast isn't all too wonderful, I think that's the only point he was trying to make. And when your supporting cast isn't very good, it forces Reggie into taking some bad shots, etc.

His supporting cast is certainly not all americans but there are guys who can hit open shots and if he is doubled or the defense is focusing on him, someone else is open. A bad shot is his fault and no one else's. He makes the decision to throw it up instead of passing. Great players, especially at point guard, know how to take what the defense gives you. Reggie needs to work on that.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:35 am

I agree with you to a certain extent but in a lot of those games, the shot clock would wind down. Reggie does what he's supposed to do and comes and gets the ball with about 10 seconds. Then he's got to take the shot even if it's a bad one. I don't want him kicking to a covered Rubin, Moton, Cahill, etc. so they can try and take their guy off the dribble.

Paris, Raji and Trapani have the ability to make contested shots. Everyone else on this team except for Reggie is a useless offensive player if there is anyone remotely near them save for one or two good Josh Southern post moves followed by the obligatory traveling call.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Return to Conte Forum