Rating the Don's First Recruiting Class

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Rating the Don's First Recruiting Class

Postby Brablc on Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:06 am

While I know there is a Commits / Recruiting thread, I thought it would be great to break-out a thread on this topic with PG Jordan Daniels joining this year's class. So our 2011 class looks like this:

PF Ryan Anderson (ESPN: 93)
C Kyle Caudill (ESPN: 89)
SG Lonnie Jackson (ESPN: 88)
PG Jordan Daniels (ESPN: 88)
C Dennis Clifford (ESPN: 87)
SF Eddie Odio (ESPN: 80)

Transfer: SG / SF Michael Humpfrey
Walk-On: PF Ryan Kilcullen

Overall, I think the Don put together a very strong first class that should make us competitive next year and in the future. Every one of the recruits that he brought in saw an increase in their recruiting rankings after we signed them (Anderson even jumping into the ESPN 100). I also like that every recruit seems to be a high character, high basketball IQ that fits the Don's system.

I also like his use of Transfers in getting Humpfrey (who I think will be great next year) and getting a walk-on in Kilcullen that can provide an extra big body down low.

My Grade: B+

Your thoughts?
Brablc
McGuinn Hall

Re: Rating the Don's First Recruiting Class

Postby cvilleagle on Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:11 am

I like the guys that he got - it just seems like a lot of players. I know that having virtually no recruiting for two straight years kind of forced his hand, but I'm concerned that this lump of scholarships will be very difficult to smooth out.

I think the transfer will turn out to be a great get and a contributor next year, I like what I've seen of Anderson, and I like that we have a lot of size up and down the roster.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:22 am

It's a B or B+ if you want because it fills all the needs and has one potential superstar in Anderson. It's so hard to tell though until these kids get on campus and start playing.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby apbc12 on Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:10 pm

Does the 5/8 rule no longer exist?
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby branchinator on Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:47 pm

How is Caudill rated higher than Clifford by ESPN? Either way, I give this class a solid B+ with the potential to climb into "A-" range. There are some sneaky high upside guys in this class.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:56 pm

For the record here is how ESPN grades them.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiti ... id=5520916
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:39 pm

I like the class a lot. Not sure if there is a superstar among them. But, usually they don't present themselves until they are on campus. Nonetheless, I think they are at least 5 ACC-caliber players on that list. And really, that is all you can ask for. We will need a superstar to emerge from that class or the one of 2012. If that happens, we will be in fantastic shape as I think a lot of these guys can contribute on an NCAA Tourney-level team.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby commavegarage on Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:51 pm

Brablc {l Wrote}:Every one of the recruits that he brought in saw an increase in their recruiting rankings after we signed them (Anderson even jumping into the ESPN 100).

Isn't it normal for a recruit's grade to jump when they get offers from power conference schools? I feel like I've heard that before.

Idk if I can really give them a grade but I think there is some great potential in this class.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:05 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:I like the class a lot. Not sure if there is a superstar among them. But, usually they don't present themselves until they are on campus. Nonetheless, I think they are at least 5 ACC-caliber players on that list.

Which is more than we have now...
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Brablc on Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:24 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
Brablc {l Wrote}:Every one of the recruits that he brought in saw an increase in their recruiting rankings after we signed them (Anderson even jumping into the ESPN 100).

Isn't it normal for a recruit's grade to jump when they get offers from power conference schools? I feel like I've heard that before.

Idk if I can really give them a grade but I think there is some great potential in this class.

I would agree somewhat. But all the players had significant jumps:

Anderson from 88 to 93
Clifford from 82 to 87
Jackson from 82 to 88

Anderson jumping into the ESPN 100 list isn't just him being sign by BC. It's really been his great play for Long Beach Poly after he signed that has facilitated the jump.

Overall, I think it's just a sign that the Don is a pretty good judge of talent.
Brablc
McGuinn Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:24 pm

branchinator {l Wrote}:How is Caudill rated higher than Clifford by ESPN? Either way, I give this class a solid B+ with the potential to climb into "A-" range. There are some sneaky high upside guys in this class.

Caudill has been getting short shrift around here. I know he's kind of a mountain so he may not be so fast, but with that body and the shooting stroke that he has, if he can stay injury free he can be an inside-outside player on offense, and a solid post defender.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby Logitano on Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:05 pm

I am on team Odio! :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:43 pm

Anderson has major superstar potential, and he doesn't seem like a prima donna. He will get more touches at BC swinging between 3 and 4 than he did in HS.

I also think, from what I have seen, that Jackson has all ACC potential.

Haven't watched a ton of tape on the other guys, but Humphrey, Caudill and Clifford are all legit ACC players.

I give this class an A personally. Some top talent, well spread position-wise, and great fits for the system. Not sure how good the PG is, but getting one in this class was huge.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DrJackRyan on Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:17 pm

Brablc {l Wrote}:

Isn't it Matt Humphrey?
DrJackRyan
Campion Hall

Postby branchinator on Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:26 pm

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:
branchinator {l Wrote}:How is Caudill rated higher than Clifford by ESPN? Either way, I give this class a solid B+ with the potential to climb into "A-" range. There are some sneaky high upside guys in this class.

Caudill has been getting short shrift around here. I know he's kind of a mountain so he may not be so fast, but with that body and the shooting stroke that he has, if he can stay injury free he can be an inside-outside player on offense, and a solid post defender.

Caudill makes Josh Southern look like :seanwilliams
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby Brablc on Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:36 pm

DrJackRyan {l Wrote}:
Brablc {l Wrote}:

Isn't it Matt Humphrey?

Yep, Nice catch!
Brablc
McGuinn Hall

Postby BC923 on Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:09 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:I like the class a lot. Not sure if there is a superstar among them. But, usually they don't present themselves until they are on campus. Nonetheless, I think they are at least 5 ACC-caliber players on that list. And really, that is all you can ask for. We will need a superstar to emerge from that class or the one of 2012. If that happens, we will be in fantastic shape as I think a lot of these guys can contribute on an NCAA Tourney-level team.

I agree. I think these are all solid, program foundation type guys, which is all you can really ask for in year one. Going forward I'd like to see some higher profile guys but this is a very good start.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:48 am

I think the #68 player in the country, and the star of one of the best high school teams in the country, is a high profile guy, especially for BC. Highest rated BC recruit since I can remember, and only Sanders comes close in pre-campus arrival accolades. Anderson appears to have none of Sanders' drawbacks, but even so, Sanders was a legit ACC player. I think it is safe to project Anderson as a big time player.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby StayBlessed on Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:07 am

I believe we have founded a complete coach...recruiting & coaching! For this reason I think basketball at BC has more of a promising future :cheer then football :spaz3
StayBlessed
Carney Hall

Postby bcaddict on Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:42 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I think the #68 player in the country, and the star of one of the best high school teams in the country, is a high profile guy, especially for BC. Highest rated BC recruit since I can remember, and only Sanders comes close in pre-campus arrival accolades. Anderson appears to have none of Sanders' drawbacks, but even so, Sanders was a legit ACC player. I think it is safe to project Anderson as a big time player.

Agreed.
bcaddict
Carney Hall

Postby Ahzeem on Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:14 am

branchinator {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:

Caudill makes Josh Southern look like :seanwilliams

Kyle is legit... and faster than you think... he is a mountain and will run the middle. :bag but you didn't hear that from me...

All these kids (Anderson, Daniels, Caudill and Jackson) are use to being on the court contributing for major minutes every night for their respective teams.
Ahzeem
Carney Hall

Postby Bumpers on Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:19 am

StayBlessed {l Wrote}:I believe we have founded a complete coach...recruiting & coaching! For this reason I think basketball at BC has more of a promising future :cheer then football :spaz3

I cannot comment on the Don's dual competency until TRE comments on carolina2010's opinion of Chad Bishop.

:chewbanka
Bumpers
McGuinn Hall

Postby Ahzeem on Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:56 pm

bcaddict {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I think the #68 player in the country, and the star of one of the best high school teams in the country, is a high profile guy, especially for BC. Highest rated BC recruit since I can remember, and only Sanders comes close in pre-campus arrival accolades. Anderson appears to have none of Sanders' drawbacks, but even so, Sanders was a legit ACC player. I think it is safe to project Anderson as a big time player.

Agreed.

Well Anderson just got selected to play in the inaugural All-American Championship game, which will take place April 3 in Houston, Texas. He will play with and against forty of the best high school boys basketball players in the country. Us fans of college basketball will get the chance to see what the next generation of All-Americans look like in a little preview.

Here is the roster:
http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/03/03/all- ... rs-posted/
:popcorn we shall see
Ahzeem
Carney Hall

Postby BCMcG on Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:39 pm

Good for Ryan.

I don't think it was mentioned, but none of our guys was selected for the McD's game. Looking at the roster, it's a who's who of baby rapist commits. And, yes, I typed the words "baby" and "rapist" to describe the collection of programs represented.

http://www.mcdonaldsallamerican.com/2011_BoysRosterAlph.pdf
BCMcG
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:50 pm

BCMcG {l Wrote}:Good for Ryan.

I don't think it was mentioned, but none of our guys was selected for the McD's game. Looking at the roster, it's a who's who of baby rapist commits. And, yes, I typed the words "baby" and "rapist" to describe the collection of programs represented.

http://www.mcdonaldsallamerican.com/2011_BoysRosterAlph.pdf

Another Plumlee, another Teague, another of Doc Rivers' offspring and what appears to be McAdoo offspring.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Return to Conte Forum