Maryland Game Saturday 1 PM

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Maryland Game Saturday 1 PM

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:04 pm

Huge board for Trapani, who despite not having his shot, played a good game today. Some huge defensive boards.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCEagles25 on Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:06 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:Raji has had a good game... But he's quietly 0-6 from three.

0-7. I haven't seen him do much. His shooting is keeping this close.

Yeah but his rebounding and offense inside the arc is keeping them ahead.

He's been playing okay inside the arc, nothing spectacular. Certainly wouldn't credit him with being the difference in the game. Especially when Reggie has 31, and the 5'9'' walk on had three threes.

I don't have any problem with him shooting, but crediting him with keeping them ahead is ridiculous.

Well I'm not citing him as the #1 reason, but 12 points and 7 rebounds has been a solid contribution, neutralizing 0-7.

Great win.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby MattTheEagle on Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:07 pm

Excellent, excellent, excellent.

Raji missed his threes big time (although it was his huge 3 that won us the game last time we played Maryland). Nonetheless, for the most part we played very well this game. Cahill might not have that great of basketball skills but he plays very smart. He gave us some really good minutes.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:12 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:Raji has had a good game... But he's quietly 0-6 from three.

0-7. I haven't seen him do much. His shooting is keeping this close.

Yeah but his rebounding and offense inside the arc is keeping them ahead.

He's been playing okay inside the arc, nothing spectacular. Certainly wouldn't credit him with being the difference in the game. Especially when Reggie has 31, and the 5'9'' walk on had three threes.

I don't have any problem with him shooting, but crediting him with keeping them ahead is ridiculous.

Well I'm not citing him as the #1 reason, but 12 points and 7 rebounds has been a solid contribution, neutralizing 0-7.

Great win.

Like I said, he played okay, and shot poorly.

He certainly wasn't a negative. I don't have much bad to say about that game, thought everyone played pretty well, and of course Reggie was spectacular. Some of the guys had an off shooting night (Biko/Trapani/Raji), but when they play good D and Reggie has a night like that, they can win anyway.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby EagleDave on Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:35 pm

Good solid win in a game they absolutely had to have. They played well on both sides of the floor and actually were able to control Jordan Williams (to my utter and absolute shock). They forced the Maryland guards to try and beat them, and they weren't up to the task.

A week off before playing @ UNC next week should do them some good. If I'm Stevie D., I walk into the film session on Monday, start the tape of the game last week and leave the room. Nothing else really needs to be said.

I expect a vastly improved effort against the Heels next weekend.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby gaelfu on Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:44 pm

The crowd today was the loudest I've heard it all year and appeared to really give our guys a boost. I'm really surprised Maryland didn't try and feed Williams the ball more in the post. Southern did a good job defensively on him, but I expected Williams to get at least a touch every possession or so. Reggie was spectacular and it's really nice to see him out of his funk as the season nears its close. We needed this one for the tourney and I feel better about our chances of making it. If we can go 9-7 and win an ACC tourney game, I think we'll sneak in as an 11 or 12 seed.
tobaccoroadeagle is a giant flaming tool, Fight the good fight 74!
gaelfu
Carney Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:46 pm

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:what is gary williams flipping out about?

Someone called a TO on his bench (which they didn't have -a tech) and no one told him they had none left. Hence the "inadvertent" whistle. Surprised they didn't call it.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:48 pm

EagleDave {l Wrote}:If I'm Stevie D., I walk into the film session on Monday, start the tape of the game last week and leave the room. Nothing else really needs to be said.

This is something I would do, and I think it is something a ton of coaches would do, but I would bet SD is a bit more of a "focus on the positives" kind of guy. The potential downside to this is making the team think that UNC is too good. Maybe a highlight film of the MD game with some of the back cuts and ball rotation and defense would work.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Art Vandelay on Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:00 pm

gaelfu {l Wrote}:The crowd today was the loudest I've heard it all year and appeared to really give our guys a boost. I'm really surprised Maryland didn't try and feed Williams the ball more in the post. Southern did a good job defensively on him, but I expected Williams to get at least a touch every possession or so. Reggie was spectacular and it's really nice to see him out of his funk as the season nears its close. We needed this one for the tourney and I feel better about our chances of making it. If we can go 9-7 and win an ACC tourney game, I think we'll sneak in as an 11 or 12 seed.

Good crowd overall with the exception of the student section which was not even half full.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby EagleDave on Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:19 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
EagleDave {l Wrote}:If I'm Stevie D., I walk into the film session on Monday, start the tape of the game last week and leave the room. Nothing else really needs to be said.

This is something I would do, and I think it is something a ton of coaches would do, but I would bet SD is a bit more of a "focus on the positives" kind of guy. The potential downside to this is making the team think that UNC is too good. Maybe a highlight film of the MD game with some of the back cuts and ball rotation and defense would work.

He's going to have to dig deep if he wants to try and find positives...

"Well...nobody got hurt."
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:47 pm

EagleDave {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

We made UNC look ridiculously good that game. We probably still won't win, but I don't expect us to lose by 40 either.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BC923 on Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:50 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
EagleDave {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

We made UNC look ridiculously good that game. We probably still won't win, but I don't expect us to lose by 40 either.

Reggie needs to look at what Jordan Taylor at Wisconsin did last night. He has to take over, if he scores 30 points we have a decent chance to keep it close until the end and hopefully catch some breaks and hit big shots down the stretch. If he plays as well as he did yesterday, with the sense of urgency he'll need against UNC i could see him putting in 30 or 35 points, and that is what we need unless someone else can step up score 20 along with him.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:01 pm

We made UNC look like a Top 5 team. But they're no Harvard. I say it'll be close @ UNC.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:13 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:We made UNC look like a Top 5 team. But they're no Harvard. I say it'll be close @ UNC.

Certainly hope so. Beating UNC on the road would take us off the bubble most likely.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BC98to04 on Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:48 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:We made UNC look like a Top 5 team. But they're no Harvard. I say it'll be close @ UNC.

After the Harvard game, I'm a little skeptical of the Don using past results as motivation. UNC is just a really bad matchup for us. Several athletic bigs, really good athletes at all positions to pressure the outside shot.

That said, we have an entire week to game plan for UNC. I'm expecting a few interesting wrinkles to be schemed and implemented this week. Plus, correcting some obvious problems from last game (for example, we won't telegraph three straight passes to a stationary Southern that allow Zeller to jump around him, steal the ball and start a fast break). Combine that with some UNC overconfidence after the last game and the fact that BC needs it more and I say we take this game in a shocker. Or at least, that's what I'll have talked myself into by Saturday.
BC98to04
n00b

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:23 pm

EagleDave {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Yes, I forgot, BC only played one game this season.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:51 pm

If I had to circle a game that we're going to blow the NCAA Tournament on, I'd have to circle that Miami game at home next Wednesday Night.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby EagleDave on Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:04 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:If I had to circle a game that we're going to blow the NCAA Tournament on, I'd have to circle that Miami game at home next Wednesday Night.

Wake Forest is the unbelievably obvious choice for a Spaz/TOB-esque WTF loss to guarantee us a home game in the NIT.
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby EagleDave on Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:06 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
EagleDave {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Yes, I forgot, BC only played one game this season.

I actually read that wrong, I thought you meant look for positives from the NC game...hence the "nobody got hurt" comment. My bad.
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:28 am

EagleDave {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:If I had to circle a game that we're going to blow the NCAA Tournament on, I'd have to circle that Miami game at home next Wednesday Night.

Wake Forest is the unbelievably obvious choice for a Spaz/TOB-esque WTF loss to guarantee us a home game in the NIT.

I will legitimately shed tears if we lose to Wake at home. Talk about killing the bachelor party even before we get in the car to drive down to Greensboro.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BC923 on Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:28 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
EagleDave {l Wrote}:

I will legitimately shed tears if we lose to Wake at home. Talk about killing the bachelor party even before we get in the car to drive down to Greensboro.

if we lose to wake it's just a legitimate excuse for you to get 10x drunker than you planned.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:23 am

BC923 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
EagleDave {l Wrote}:

if we lose to wake it's just a legitimate excuse for you to get 10x drunker than you planned.

:pepper2
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Previous

Return to Conte Forum