St. John's

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

St. John's

Postby BCMurt09 on Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:53 pm

Beat Duke and now beat #9 Yukon by 27 points. In the words of LL Cool J "Don't call it a comeback."
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Re: St. John's

Postby claver2010 on Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:43 am

It's been a long time since the days of Omar Cook, Bootsy Thornton, & Ron Artest.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:03 am

They are still coached by Lavin. Pretenders.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby Logitano on Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:44 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:They are still coached by Lavin. Pretenders.

They might not be totally ready for primetime this year but this is pretty remarkable. A lavin coached team will have clunkers and huge wins but SJU if you are an SJU fan you are over the moon. The redstorm are not going to be in the pretender group for much longer. If you know anything about Lavin pulling the rabbit out of the hat is what he does quite well. I said it before the season and I will say it again his hiring by SJU is a homerun. Mike Rice to RU is a grand slam.
This board does have a person with a degree from St. John's (law degree but whatevs), care to chime in Mod34barinthus? :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:54 am

Logitano {l Wrote}:

They might not be totally ready for primetime this year but this is pretty remarkable. A lavin coached team will have clunkers and huge wins but SJU if you are an SJU fan you are over the moon. The redstorm are not going to be in the pretender group for much longer. If you know anything about Lavin pulling the rabbit out of the hat is what he does quite well. I said it before the season and I will say it again his hiring by SJU is a homerun. Mike Rice to RU is a grand slam.
This board does have a person with a degree from St. John's (law degree but whatevs), care to chime in Mod34barinthus? :ace

Let's call a spade a spade though here, it's a little easier to recruit at St. John's and Rutgers where literacy is the academic standards than BC. More than half of St. John's and Rutgers class next season would not qualify at BC.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:04 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:

Let's call a spade a spade though here, it's a little easier to recruit at St. John's and Rutgers where literacy is the academic standards than BC. More than half of St. John's and Rutgers class next season would not qualify at BC.

Non-issue. BC can lower standards for a few players. Also, Duke doesnt seemto have a problem with academics.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:09 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:

Tha argument works a lot better with football where you need to have 60 guys. You should be able to find 10 guys who are good at basketball and not complete morons.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby Logitano on Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:22 am

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:

Non-issue. BC can lower standards for a few players. Also, Duke doesnt seemto have a problem with academics.

BC in fact as DE mentioned does lower standards. I believe at one point Jet Smith's mom/dad posted that he had like a C+ avg and an 800 on the SAT and needed to break 900 or something like that for BC to accept him. There were some complaints in the administration that Skinner was given too much wiggle room on bringing in marginal players. If you have been following SJU for the last decade or so and RU like forever it really is not that easy to put together recruiting classes like they have. There is no doubt that there will be at least 1 scandle at SJU under Lavin based on recruiting. Mike Rice at RU not sure what to say to you concerning them being able to take just anyone. RU has been a total non-factor on the local stage even with lower standards and now has a top recruiting class coming in. They have an excellent coach. Also, recruiting will only really start to help these guys next year. This year they are making chicken salad out of chicken crap. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby bignick33 on Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:28 am

Logitano {l Wrote}:There were some complaints in the administration that Skinner was given too much wiggle room on bringing in marginal players.

If I recall, the complaints were about the character of some of the individuals he was bringing in. So, his academic leeway was decreased. It made a lot of sense. :roll:
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:57 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:There were some complaints in the administration that Skinner was given too much wiggle room on bringing in marginal players.

If I recall, the complaints were about the character of some of the individuals he was bringing in. So, his academic leeway was decreased. It made a lot of sense. :roll:

Akida McClain, Andrew Bryant and :seanwilliams say hello.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:59 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

Akida McClain, Andrew Bryant and :seanwilliams say hello.

J-Watt was involved in some shady doings. Harley thugged.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:00 am

Logitano {l Wrote}: This year they are making chicken salad out of chicken crap. :ace

pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:12 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:

Guess it depends on your definition of "pretender." I agree that Lavin will get SJU ranked, stock up on McDonald's All-Americans, and make a few sweet 16 appearances. But he will not get SJU over the hump/into the Final Four.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby Logitano on Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:24 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:

Guess it depends on your definition of "pretender." I agree that Lavin will get SJU ranked, stock up on McDonald's All-Americans, and make a few sweet 16 appearances. But he will not get SJU over the hump/into the Final Four.

I would not mark a team as a "pretender" based on not making a final 4 but I do see your point. I think a sweet 16/elite 8 run and a possible big east title are what I am thinking make Lavin a homerun. Things had been so bad for SJU for such a long time that even making the tournie at this point is significant progress. Fact of the matter is I do not even like the redstorm. It is a long island trash school (no offense to anyone from LI or went to SJU) but I just see this as a good thing for NY basketball. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:26 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:

They lost in the first round of the NIT las year so just getting to the tournamanet would be a big jump.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:15 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:

I would not mark a team as a "pretender" based on not making a final 4 but I do see your point. I think a sweet 16/elite 8 run and a possible big east title are what I am thinking make Lavin a homerun. Things had been so bad for SJU for such a long time that even making the tournie at this point is significant progress. Fact of the matter is I do not even like the redstorm. It is a long island trash school (no offense to anyone from LI or went to SJU) but I just see this as a good thing for NY basketball. :ace

I am originally from Long Island (hi Pierre) and am not offended, although I consider Adelphi ten times the LI trash school St. John's is.

I agree that a modicum of success for SJU hoops is a good thing for NY basketball, especially in the short term. But fans will grow frustrated with the plateau, as we did with Skinner. That's when I think coaches enter the pretender zone, and Lavin did just that at UCLA.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:24 pm

Being from the NY area and growing up going to double headers at MSG, it is good that basketball is finally relevant.

Will Lavin take them to the promised land of FFs? No

But it's nice that MSG isn't 1/5th full for these games.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Logitano on Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:36 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Being from the NY area and growing up going to double headers at MSG, it is good that basketball is finally relevant.

Will Lavin take them to the promised land of FFs? No

But it's nice that MSG isn't 1/5th full for these games.

I remember going to BC-SJU at the end of the uncle phil run and the Garden was a ghost town. There will not be a national championship coming their way but becoming a tournie regular again and having exciting recruits is pretty good. Also coach mcdrunkie, jimmy b and the guy who knocked up a woman in a bar are not going to be around forever. Not a bad time to be reestablishing your program with a young coach which is also why I think Rutgers could be a real force. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby Logitano on Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:37 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:

tell the truth... are you luigi carnesecca's kid?

The Logitano family and the carnie-seccas are in a blood feud, thank you very much. I would beat that dago to a pulp if I ever saw him. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby Logitano on Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:50 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:

The Logitano family and the carnie-seccas are in a blood feud, thank you very much. I would beat that dago to a pulp if I ever saw him. :ace

well yeah, now that he looks like dick clark

Fine I will beat up both louie and westchester native dick clark. Dick Clark is from the same town as Denzel, Sean John and Ben Gordon so I am bringing a knife to this fight. I am not afraid of them. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:07 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:

Fine I will beat up both louie and westchester native dick clark. Dick Clark is from the same town as Denzel, Sean John and Ben Gordon so I am bringing a knife to this fight. I am not afraid of them. :ace

Just like a dago to bring a knife to a gunfight

BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby Logitano on Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:35 pm

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:

Under what pretense did you think it was ok to refer to me as a dago? :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:23 am

Logitano {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:

Under what pretense did you think it was ok to refer to me as a dago? :ace

I dare you, for ONE MINUTE, that you try not to be a dago. I am even willing to bet one free drink at the NYAC on it.

Even Pauly D. blushes at the amount of hair gel you use.

BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:25 pm

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:

Tha argument works a lot better with football where you need to have 60 guys. You should be able to find 10 guys who are good at basketball and not complete morons.

There's only 10 guys on a team but there are 3.5 times as many teams. BC competes with several schools in hoop that don't even have football.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby auggiebc on Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:37 pm

it's quite amazing the difference Lavin has made for that program in just, what, 6 months? This is a team that was 6-12 in conference last year, playing in their campus gym in front of 3,000 people. A year later they are on national TV at MSG giving the #4 team in the country all they can handle...and are in line for a 5 seed (or better) in the NCAA tournament. With one of the best recruiting classes in the nation coming in next year.

gotta give this guy some major credit.
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:22 pm

I am at the game, what a fucking ending. Johnnies just lack any discipline, they force stuff constantly.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:35 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:

BULLSHIT! You qualify and meet the NCAA standards you can play at any school.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:36 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:

Non-issue. BC can lower standards for a few players. Also, Duke doesnt seemto have a problem with academics.[/quote]

Thanks DE. Perfect!!!!

8 years of posting here and more excuses than ever. Lazy Elvis was :clownshoes

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:41 pm

auggiebc {l Wrote}:it's quite amazing the difference Lavin has made for that program in just, what, 6 months? This is a team that was 6-12 in conference last year, playing in their campus gym in front of 3,000 people. A year later they are on national TV at MSG giving the #4 team in the country all they can handle...and are in line for a 5 seed (or better) in the NCAA tournament. With one of the best recruiting classes in the nation coming in next year.

gotta give this guy some major credit.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8296

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Return to Conte Forum