Clemson Game

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Clemson Game

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:56 pm

I am a Donahue fan. I like him more than Al. I guess I have to give him a pass on this shit show of an alleged defense.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCEagles25 on Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:58 pm

Good D on the inbounds there.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:59 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Way to lock down and prevent the white guy that can't jump from getting a wide open layup in crunch time. Pathetic. Instead of bitching about the refs, the Don should coach a little D.

It's called an illegal screen...watch the replay. Elmore gets cleared out.

Yup, this defense is the ref's fault. My bad.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:01 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I am a Donahue fan. I like him more than Al. I guess I have to give him a pass on this shit show of an alleged defense.

Or wait, I am mixed up on my talking points. The defense is awesome cause the Don rules. Is it the ref's fault that BC's defensive effort sucks, or the players? Or is it Al for not bringing in better players? Or wait, it is Gene's fault for hiring Spaz?
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby SJeagle09 on Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:02 pm

they really needed that botched rebound
:pontif
SJeagle09
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:04 pm

Real chance to steal that game despite a pretty poor effort. Adjustments out of the break (or lack thereof) killed them (reminiscent of Al, the team came out of the break poorly).

On the bright side Reggie played well and Trapani is still hustling.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCEagles25 on Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:05 pm

TW is on a butthurt rant.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:07 pm

I will end my butthurt rant with this: there is literally no excuse for bad defense. None. For whomever you choose to blame it on.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby bcbcbcbcbc4444 on Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:07 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:TW is on a butthurt rant.

thank god hes not watching the game anymore.
bcbcbcbcbc4444
Carney Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:10 pm

Well hey, I have to agree. This defense is bad, just as bad as Skinner's. But it could be on the players (Al's players), we'll have to see next year how much better or worse the defense is.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:12 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I am a Donahue fan. I like him more than Al. I guess I have to give him a pass on this shit show of an alleged defense.

Tyrant.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:12 pm

The combination of crappy defense and some bad shooting killed us. I'll tell you what, Maryland is a must-win. Lose to Maryand (and I'll chalk up losses at UNC and at VT), 8-8 in the ACC is going to require winning the ACCT.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:15 pm

We could only lose two of our last eight if we wanted to reach 20 wins this season and be, in my opinion, almost a sure shot for the tournament. We can only afford to lose one more. Any more than that and I think we need to make a huge ACC tournament run to get considered.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:17 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:The combination of crappy defense and some bad shooting killed us. I'll tell you what, Maryland is a must-win. Lose to Maryand (and I'll chalk up losses at UNC and at VT), 8-8 in the ACC is going to require winning the ACCT.

BC could play bad defense when they played that tight flex. When the flex worked it was slow, and extremely efficient, and limited opponent's possessions. It was tough to blow BC out.

With this new offense, and the propensity to chuck, BC will have 7-8 really cold nights a year. It happens when you live and die by the three and the spread motion offense. You account for it by locking down on the other end of the floor. If you don't you get embarrassed. If you shoot the lights out, like BC has done a few times this season, it hides the defense, but it is lipstick on a pig.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby bcnyceagle on Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:18 pm

The pathetic defense definitely has something to do with Donahue. No way a team drops from 82 to 257 (Kenpom) with a whole bunch of seniors in the lineup for no reason. Even if they're playing a faster tempo offense.
Last edited by bcnyceagle on Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bcnyceagle
Cushing Hall

Postby bignick33 on Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:19 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:The combination of crappy defense and some bad shooting killed us. I'll tell you what, Maryland is a must-win. Lose to Maryand (and I'll chalk up losses at UNC and at VT), 8-8 in the ACC is going to require winning the ACCT.

Maryland is indeed a 100% must-win. It's not so much a "make-or-break" game as it's just a potential "break" game.

And, btw, BC covered. I hope you spend the easy money you made wisely.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:21 pm

bcnyceagle {l Wrote}:The pathetic defense definitely has something to do with Donahue. No way a team drops from 82 to 257 (Kenpom) with a whole bunch of seniors in the lineup for no reason.

As I mentioned above, defense and offense go hand in hand. Part of the reason the defense has gotten worse was inescapable - this offense does not limit opponent possession like the flex does. That doesn't bother me, and it is not really the Don's fault. We knew it was going to happen.

The rest is attributable to the defense, and it has gotten worse. That's bad.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCEagle74 on Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:21 pm

We have no inside game for scoring, rebounding and defense.

If anyone has squeezed more out of the Frankenstein leaded feet of Southern, it has been SD.

My Sweet 16 prediction...

We need the ghosts of Ray Allen and Reggie Miller ---- and Raji, Biko, Reg, Mot, and Trap shoot 62% ++ from 3 ball land.

We can only advance with red hot 3 ball shooting.

Sad.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:07 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Sad part is that this game is still not over. They hit a couple of threes, and they have a shot to be rewarded for this shit show.

And I know it won't be popular here, but I agree that Trapani has a shot to play in the NBA. Needs someone to give him a summer league spot.

I have to respectfully disagree with you here. Trapani has been working his ass off and I love him for it, but he does not have anywhere near the athleticism to play in the NBA. He is also a man without a position at the NBA level. Too small to play the 4 and too slow to play the 3. He'll be playing in Europe somewhere.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:13 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
bcnyceagle {l Wrote}:The pathetic defense definitely has something to do with Donahue. No way a team drops from 82 to 257 (Kenpom) with a whole bunch of seniors in the lineup for no reason.

As I mentioned above, defense and offense go hand in hand. Part of the reason the defense has gotten worse was inescapable - this offense does not limit opponent possession like the flex does. That doesn't bother me, and it is not really the Don's fault. We knew it was going to happen.

This is true. I think our defense has gotten a little worse than last year, but not nearly so much as the numbers would lead you to believe. Last year our inability to play defense was hidden some by the fact that we played a slow deliberate offense that limited the other teams possessions and scoring. We weren't a very good defensive team last year either.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby BC923 on Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:02 am

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:This team is one Center away from being a top four ACC team. I wish Cortney Dunn was two inches taller and didnt toke on that marijuana smoke.

Very true.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby gaelfu on Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:15 am

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

This is true. I think our defense has gotten a little worse than last year, but not nearly so much as the numbers would lead you to believe. Last year our inability to play defense was hidden some by the fact that we played a slow deliberate offense that limited the other teams possessions and scoring. We weren't a very good defensive team last year either.

This has been our slowest tempo year since 2006! We're 292nd in tempo right now. There is this wide misconception that Donahue runs a fast pace offense when we usually take our time working the ball around the perimeter and inside out to find an open look. You can't blame the bad d this year on a faster pace when the pace is slower than last year's.

Not to mention, one of the things about the tight flex that hurt our D was that it was very susceptible to fast breaks as all 5 guys were closely packed into the lane on some possessions. You can't say that about this offense either. The D has gotten measurably worse and it concerns me going forward.
tobaccoroadeagle is a giant flaming tool, Fight the good fight 74!
gaelfu
Carney Hall

Postby screagle on Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:59 am

how were the don's cornell teams on D? anyone have any stats? can any cornell fans out there weigh in?
screagle
Carney Hall

Postby screagle on Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:10 am

BC923 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:This team is one Center away from being a top four ACC team. I wish Cortney Dunn was two inches taller and didnt toke on that marijuana smoke.

Very true.

while expectations for dunn were never high given the alleged recruiting debacle, he can't graduate soon enough. whether he's on the floor, sitting on the bench or standing on the perimeter of a huddle, he is about as engaged as i'd picture him in a two hour perspectives class.
screagle
Carney Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:25 am

screagle {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:

Very true.

while expectations for dunn were never high given the alleged recruiting debacle, he can't graduate soon enough. whether he's on the floor, sitting on the bench or standing on the perimeter of a huddle, he is about as engaged as i'd picture him in a two hour perspectives class.

I sit in the section that's behind the BC bench and I've never seen him pay attention during a timeout. He likes to scan the crowd, space out, or joke with one of the players. I can only imagine his interest level in the classroom, assuming he goes.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:33 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
screagle {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:

Very true.

I sit in the section that's behind the BC bench and I've never seen him pay attention during a timeout. He likes to scan the crowd, space out, or joke with one of the players. I can only imagine his interest level in the classroom, assuming he goes.

He's just playful
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:48 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:

Maryland is indeed a 100% must-win. It's not so much a "make-or-break" game as it's just a potential "break" game.

I've said all along that all we need to do is split this week, but know it's back-to-the-wall time. I thought we played pretty well for 30 minutes or so, but we played so bad for those other 10 minutes (i.e. beginning of the second half) that we lost the game.

We still have Miami, MD, Wake and @ UVA to get to 9 wins and then win 1 in the ACCT. @ VT is extremely unlikely. I'll call @ UNC impossible.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:58 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

I've said all along that all we need to do is split this week, but know it's back-to-the-wall time. I thought we played pretty well for 30 minutes or so, but we played so bad for those other 10 minutes (i.e. beginning of the second half) that we lost the game.

We still have Miami, MD, Wake and @ UVA to get to 9 wins and then win 1 in the ACCT. @ VT is extremely unlikely. I'll call @ UNC impossible.

Yeah, we pretty much have to run the table of winnable games to have any shot. I still say we will have a very nice run in the NIT.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby bignick33 on Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:59 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

Basically, we have to win every game one of the four you mention. This is not an easy task, as there is no margin for error, but it's not out of the question. Obviously, it starts with a bounce-back performance this weekend. I don't think any BC fan in their right mind expected a win @ Clemson, so it's not as if we're losing games we should have won. If anything, this team has overachieved a bit.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:31 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:... If anything, this team has overachieved a bit.

then why were a large number of posters here guaranteeing a tournament appearance? you hoops weirdos confuse the hell out of me, homojs style

It is because their opinions are sometimes influenced by their love of BC basketball. Pedro explained this yesterday, durr.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum