Clemson Game

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Clemson Game

Postby pick6pedro on Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:01 pm

The tiers of the conference are finally taking shape.

Tier 1
Duke
UNC

Tier 2
FSU
BC
Clemson
UMD
VT

Tier 3
Miami
Virginia
NCSU
Georgia Tech
Wake Forest

With a win against Clemson, BC would own the H2H with 3/4 Tier 2 teams (for now) and at worst would finish .500 against Tier 2 for the regular season.

Other than a dismantling of FSU last week, Clemson's resume is completely void of quality wins. They are not as big as many of the recent Clemson teams, but they do rely on a strong defense and not allowing second chances.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Re: Clemson Game

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:19 pm

I know they are erratic, but ny the end of the year I would put FSU in tier 1a with UNC. They have three weak teams in a row, and then Miami and NCSU left. They should get to at least 11 wins. UNC still has 2 games with Duke, and a head to head with FSU. I think they will also lose to one of MD at home or CLEM on the road. I figure them for 3 more losses, which would put them at 12 wins.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:30 pm

Would be nice to get some momentum going.

Can someone put an amber alert out for Reggie? In the last 4 games:
9 ppg, 13-47 (27.7%) FG, 2-15 (13.3%) 3FG, 8-12 (even you non- :ugeek: can figure that one out) FT
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:32 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I know they are erratic, but ny the end of the year I would put FSU in tier 1a with UNC. They have three weak teams in a row, and then Miami and NCSU left. They should get to at least 11 wins. UNC still has 2 games with Duke, and a head to head with FSU. I think they will also lose to one of MD at home or CLEM on the road. I figure them for 3 more losses, which would put them at 12 wins.

I was tempted to put FSU in Tier 1, but they've been blown out twice in the last week. While the road ahead for them is paved with lesser teams, UNC has upped their game a level after a bumpy start.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:45 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I know they are erratic, but ny the end of the year I would put FSU in tier 1a with UNC. They have three weak teams in a row, and then Miami and NCSU left. They should get to at least 11 wins. UNC still has 2 games with Duke, and a head to head with FSU. I think they will also lose to one of MD at home or CLEM on the road. I figure them for 3 more losses, which would put them at 12 wins.

I was tempted to put FSU in Tier 1, but they've been blown out twice in the last week. While the road ahead for them is paved with lesser teams, UNC has upped their game a level after a bumpy start.

How much of your opinion of UNC is based on the BC game? Because from what I have seen, I think UNC's start is consistant with what they are - mediocre overall, and good in the ACC. They lost to ILL, VANDY, MINN and TEX and have basically beaten no one other than KY and FSU. Although the last 3 wins over BC, NCSU and FSU were impressive, in the past month they have struggled with VT, UVA and MIA and lost to GT.

So either the past 3 games are a trend, or they just caught a few teams on a bad streak (BC/FSU). For now, and given what we have seen from BC lately, I am leaning toward the latter until proven otherwise.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:50 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Would be nice to get some momentum going.

9 ppg, 13-47 (27.7%) FG, 2-15 (13.3%) 3FG, 8-12 (even you non- :ugeek: can figure that one out) FT

Reggie needs to go to the basket...that rest of the game will open up once he starts attacking. Clemson is all over the place and so are we so I have not the slightest idea what will go down on Tuesday Night. A win gets us to 6-4 and gives us some cushion. I can't remember the last time we won @ Clemson...
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:53 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

How much of your opinion of UNC is based on the BC game? Because from what I have seen, I think UNC's start is consistant with what they are - mediocre overall, and good in the ACC. They lost to ILL, VANDY, MINN and TEX and have basically beaten no one other than KY and FSU. Although the last 3 wins over BC, NCSU and FSU were impressive, in the past month they have struggled with VT, UVA and MIA and lost to GT.

So either the past 3 games are a trend, or they just caught a few teams on a bad streak (BC/FSU). For now, and given what we have seen from BC lately, I am leaning toward the latter until proven otherwise.

Not a ton, but it certainly plays a role. It's that they have the talent to have been doing for the whole season what they are doing now. The loss to a very good Texas team by 2 was a game that really got them going in the right direction. Only 2 losses in their last 15 games (the solid game against UT and the strange loss to GT by 20). And all their losses, other than GT, are to definite above average teams. They are trending upward and are playing well coming into what will be a tough stretch. The Duke game should tell us a lot. On the other hand, FSU is trending downward, IMO.
Last edited by pick6pedro on Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:55 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Since the Kentucky win, UNC has won 13 of 15, losing only to Texas by 2 and Georgia Tech by 20 (WTF). Kentucky is definitely their signature win, but consistently beating good teams like FSU, BC, and Clemson easily as of late combined with playing an exceptional Texas team tight (albeit in North Carolina) leads me to believe that UNC is now a top-15 caliber team. I wouldn't have said that earlier in the year.

Of course, you don't think Roy is a very good coach, so their improving throughout the season it totally impossible.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby bcmurph on Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:06 pm

With a win against Clemson, BC would own the H2H with 3/4 Tier 2 teams (for now) and at worst would finish .500 against Tier 2 for the regular season.

Big Game... ;)
"Stay with this young team - there are great days ahead." Coach Donahue tweet 2/19/2012 -
bcmurph
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:17 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Since the Kentucky win, UNC has won 13 of 15, losing only to Texas by 2 and Georgia Tech by 20 (WTF). Kentucky is definitely their signature win, but consistently beating good teams like FSU, BC, and Clemson easily as of late combined with playing an exceptional Texas team tight (albeit in North Carolina) leads me to believe that UNC is now a top-15 caliber team. I wouldn't have said that earlier in the year.

Of course, you don't think Roy is a very good coach, so their improving throughout the season it totally impossible.

Examining UNC's body of work leads me to an inescapable conclusion: The ACC sucks donkey, and UNC's 13-15 run doesn't mean much. The last three games might be a trend, but it's a bit early to say that since BC and FSU have pretty much sucked for about two weeks each.

Roy is a terrible in-game coach, but that's pretty irrelevant here. They just don't have as much talent as we are used to seeing from them. The frosh is awesone, and Henson is good, but the rest of the team is meh, the recent Larry Drew lovefest notwithstanding.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:20 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Not a ton, but it certainly plays a role. It's that they have the talent to have been doing for the whole season what they are doing now. The loss to a very good Texas team by 2 was a game that really got them going in the right direction. Only 2 losses in their last 15 games (the solid game against UT and the strange loss to GT by 20). And all their losses, other than GT, are to definite above average teams. They are trending upward and are playing well coming into what will be a tough stretch. The Duke game should tell us a lot. On the other hand, FSU is trending downward, IMO.

I agree with what you say, I am just not willing to call this three game stretch a trend, given the way FSU and BC have been playing lately. Prior to that three game stretch, UNC was beating mediocre ACC teams by small margins (even if you are willing to toss out the outlier of getting smoked by GT).
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:38 pm

As soon as teams figure out that Marshall can't dribble with his right hand and can't make a jump shot to save his life their success will come back to earth a little. I expect Coach K to figure this out quite quickly on Wednesday.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby 2008Eagle on Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:44 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Reggie needs to go to the basket...that rest of the game will open up once he starts attacking. Clemson is all over the place and so are we so I have not the slightest idea what will go down on Tuesday Night. A win gets us to 6-4 and gives us some cushion. I can't remember the last time we won @ Clemson...

Actually BC never has won at Clemson. 0-4 all time.
2008Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:17 pm

2008Eagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Actually BC never has won at Clemson. 0-4 all time.

I guess that's why I can't remember it. That place is tough to play in.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:35 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

10 is the magic number to be taken off the bubble -meaning we need 5 from these:

@Clemson
Maryland
@UNC
Miami
@UVA
@VT
Wake
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:42 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

10 is the magic number to be taken off the bubble -meaning we need 5 from these:

@Clemson
Maryland
@UNC
Miami
@UVA
@VT
Wake

True...but it's worth mentioning that 4+1 in ACC Tourney would get us in as well. Unfortunately, I don't think there's much chance we'll get more than four of the games you mention.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:53 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

@Clemson
Maryland
@UNC
Miami
@UVA
@VT
Wake

True...but it's worth mentioning that 4+1 in ACC Tourney would get us in as well. Unfortunately, I don't think there's much chance we'll get more than four of the games you mention.

Wins

Miami
@UVA
Wake

Losses

@ VT
@ UNC

50/50 games

@ Clemson
MD

Split the 50/50 games and you've got your 9 wins which will be fine. Win both games this week and we're probably getting to double digit wins in the ACC. I see no way we're beating VT or UNC on the road though VT maybe slightly more likely. That's another building we haven't had a ton of success in lately.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby bcsouth on Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:00 pm

Florida State is phenomenal defensively and inept offensively. they will get into the NCAA's as a 7or 8 seed and will be out of the tourney three hours after their game tips off.

UNC is starting to play well, and count me among the people who believe that they are closer to the way they are playing now, then the way they played to start the season. To me, with a favorable draw, they can get to the elite eight. they will give the dukies all they can handle at Cameron this week.

I dont think BC can get to the 10 win mark. They need 5 more wins, and here are the games:

1. At Clemson: BC has never played a competitive game here. Clemson's style, height and athleticism has unnerved BC every time they have gone to Littlejohn. Different coach and much less bigs, but until BC wins there, I cant put this in the W column.

2. VS. Maryland: Strange team these terrapins. Besides every memmber of the UNC this team has the one player who is the biggest mismatch in the league for the Eagles, and that is Williams. Bc is going to have a tough time handling him. the terps guard play has been putrid. Reggie needs a big game here.Maryland will be fighting for whatever little chance they have left at an NCAA tourney bid. Eagles should remember that MD, skunked them at conte last year.

3. @ UNC: Loss. Bad matchups everywhere.

4. VS. Miami: BC should win this game, and must. Two losses to Miami will cripple the at large hopes. Miami has the ability, but they dont play well away from home.

5.@UVA: huge game. UVA played BC to the wire at Conte and they are a very good defensive team, so this game should be tight. BC is no lock in this game.

6. @VT: home court front running team. BC will need a big effort to win here. Not likely.

7. VS. Wake: win, and they will.
bcsouth
n00b

Postby bignick33 on Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:18 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

@Clemson
Maryland
@UNC
Miami
@UVA
@VT
Wake

Wins

Miami
@UVA
Wake

Losses

@ VT
@ UNC

50/50 games

@ Clemson
MD

Split the 50/50 games and you've got your 9 wins which will be fine. Win both games this week and we're probably getting to double digit wins in the ACC. I see no way we're beating VT or UNC on the road though VT maybe slightly more likely. That's another building we haven't had a ton of success in lately.

There's no freakin way that @Clemson is a 50/50. I'd say it's more like a 20/80. I will say that I think that BC has a slightly greater than 50% of beating MD at home.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:45 pm

Clemson isn't very good....I know we usually play like crap at LittleJohn but it doesn't mean it's a 20/80 game. Their best win was against FSU when FSU dropped 42 points. I think we win this game tomorrow.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby bignick33 on Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:47 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Clemson isn't very good....I know we usually play like crap at LittleJohn but it doesn't mean it's a 20/80 game. Their best win was against FSU when FSU dropped 42 points. I think we win this game tomorrow.

I think Clemson is a much better home team than road team.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:49 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Clemson isn't very good....I know we usually play like crap at LittleJohn but it doesn't mean it's a 20/80 game. Their best win was against FSU when FSU dropped 42 points. I think we win this game tomorrow.

I think Clemson is a much better home team than road team.

We'd have a better chance if Oliver Purnell was the coach (sorry guys, just couldn't resist)
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby AdamBC on Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:29 am

AdamBC
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:38 am

We're a 9 point under-dog to Clemson? That's easy money.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby FirstDownSyndrome on Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:03 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:We're a 9 point under-dog to Clemson? That's easy money.

which way?
“Every chance I get to walk in snow, I take it. Everyone here makes fun of me for it because I love to jump in the snow.” - Chase Rettig
FirstDownSyndrome
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:44 pm

FirstDownSyndrome {l Wrote}:

which way?

For BC. I can't see us losing by double digits to Clemson. I think Clemson's pretty over-rated.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:46 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

which way?

For BC. I can't see us losing by double digits to Clemson. I think Clemson's pretty over-rated.

I can. Gamblor has you in his claws if you're betting using emotion on a Jekyll and Hyde team.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:49 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

which way?

I can. Gamblor has you in his claws if you're betting using emotion on a Jekyll and Hyde team.

Which is the Jekyll and Hyde team?
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:53 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

which way?

You're right. Both - meaning even more chance for dispersions.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:59 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

which way?

You're right. Both - meaning even more chance for dispersions.

Don't hate. Lots of people bet coinflips.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Next

Return to Conte Forum