The bloom is off the rose...

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

The bloom is off the rose...

Postby gaelfu on Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:34 am

The honeymoon is over, whatever you wanna call it. Although I know comparisons to Skinner are frowned upon, Al's teams NEVER played defense as terribly as this team has all year. The 106!!!!! points we just gave up to a mediocre UNC team at home is the cherry on top of the shit sundae our defense has been all year long. Teams like Providence, Bryant, Bucknell, Harvard, and Yale have shredded our D in the nonconference and things only look to be getting worse now.

You cannot convince me after watching him for three years that Rakim Sanders was the lynchpin to this team's defense and that his departure has caused it to go from mediocre to worst among the BCS conferences. Something is really screwed up with the way the Don is coaching and/or his approach to defense. If this team had a halfway decent defense it would be a lock to make the tourney, but we're gonna be on the outside looking in because it can't stop anybody.
tobaccoroadeagle is a giant flaming tool, Fight the good fight 74!
gaelfu
Carney Hall

Re: The bloom is off the rose...

Postby MilitantEagle on Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:42 am

gaelfu {l Wrote}:The honeymoon is over, whatever you wanna call it. Although I know comparisons to Skinner are frowned upon, Al's teams NEVER played defense as terribly as this team has all year. The 106!!!!! points we just gave up to a mediocre UNC team at home is the cherry on top of the shit sundae our defense has been all year long. Teams like Providence, Bryant, Bucknell, Harvard, and Yale have shredded our D in the nonconference and things only look to be getting worse now.

You cannot convince me after watching him for three years that Rakim Sanders was the lynchpin to this team's defense and that his departure has caused it to go from mediocre to worst among the BCS conferences. Something is really screwed up with the way the Don is coaching and/or his approach to defense. If this team had a halfway decent defense it would be a lock to make the tourney, but we're gonna be on the outside looking in because it can't stop anybody.

People were not happy with Coach K after his first year. They should have fired him.

People need to relax. There is very little talent on this team after Reggie Jackson. If we played a slow, methodical tight flex offense on Tuesday, then UNC would not have scored over 100 points, but we still would have lost.

This will take time. We have a good class coming in next year and I'm hopeful he can continue to have some success with recruiting. I am hoping for consistent NCAA appearances beginning in year three or four.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:56 am

I thought we did this thread already....

http://eagleoutsider.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5575&p=151981&hilit=bloom+rose#p151981

I was hoping for a redux.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:44 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
gaelfu {l Wrote}:The honeymoon is over, whatever you wanna call it. Although I know comparisons to Skinner are frowned upon, Al's teams NEVER played defense as terribly as this team has all year. The 106!!!!! points we just gave up to a mediocre UNC team at home is the cherry on top of the shit sundae our defense has been all year long. Teams like Providence, Bryant, Bucknell, Harvard, and Yale have shredded our D in the nonconference and things only look to be getting worse now.

People were not happy with Coach K after his first year. They should have fired him.

People need to relax. There is very little talent on this team after Reggie Jackson. If we played a slow, methodical tight flex offense on Tuesday, then UNC would not have scored over 100 points, but we still would have lost.

This will take time. We have a good class coming in next year and I'm hopeful he can continue to have some success with recruiting. I am hoping for consistent NCAA appearances beginning in year three or four.

OK Mrs. Donahue.

Just kidding, but I wanted to be the first to call someone Mrs. Donahue
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby The Knife of Asia on Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:36 pm

This team is as bad talentwise as it was in the late 90's led by Michael Cotton.

This is not a tourney-caliber team and won't be for a couple of years... Let the guy get real players who fit into a system...
The Knife of Asia
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:30 pm

While I still disagree with the lack of talent stuff, I will say this: this collection of players is utterly unsuited to play the Don's offense. I think this team will be an offensive juggernaut when the Don brings in ACC talent that plays the style he ran at Cornell.

As for the defense, well, that troubles me.

This could be Loyola Marymount east in a few years. Fun to watch, high scoring, mediocre basketball.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:50 pm

A bit early to be quitting on this season isn't it?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BC923 on Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:53 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:While I still disagree with the lack of talent stuff, I will say this: this collection of players is utterly unsuited to play the Don's offense. I think this team will be an offensive juggernaut when the Don brings in ACC talent that plays the style he ran at Cornell.

This could be Loyola Marymount east in a few years. Fun to watch, high scoring, mediocre basketball.

Agree 100% TW. There is talent on this team, but it is akin to Denard Robinson playing for BC Football. The guys might make some plays but they don't really fit.

As for the defense, if it really is an effort thing then who knows what it will be like with a new group of people

note: Steve Donahue is 1274913284937298577 times the coach that :tranq is
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:42 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:A bit early to be quitting on this season isn't it?

Some of us have had realistic expectations for a while.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:00 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:A bit early to be quitting on this season isn't it?

i thought the wheels were off the bus. you flip flop more times than snooki at karma

They have fallen off the bus but it doesn't mean the season is over. I'll walk the plank here and say a good coach fixes whatever the hell is wrong with this team and we come out firing against the :hokie on Saturday.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:03 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:While I still disagree with the lack of talent stuff, I will say this: this collection of players is utterly unsuited to play the Don's offense. I think this team will be an offensive juggernaut when the Don brings in ACC talent that plays the style he ran at Cornell.

I am not sure how you can disagree with the lack of talent. That is not to say there is no talent, but certainly not enough to compete at the top of the ACC even in a down year. Look that the roster:

-Reggie - Aside from his sub par performance of late, clearly plenty of talent there as he has proven over the past three years
-Trapani - Solid ACC player. Not overly athletic but can play in the league. However I don't know that he should be the 2nd best player on an ACC team.
-Raji - Should be a role player off the bench at the ACC level but is third on the team in minutes. Good rebounder, but small for the style he plays
-Paris - Underachieved for three years, but has turned into a decent 3 pt shooter this year. Our only true point guard but still not a great ball handler
-Southern - Sucks and has sucked for 4 years. Not an ACC caliber player by a long shot
-Rubin - Showed some signs early but has done nothing in conference. Needs to bulk up to compete at this level. I'm hopeful he'll improve but right now he is not there
- Elmore - He played pretty well against Duke but just mediocre other than that. Never more than 5 points or 3 rebounds in a game and he plays 16+ minutes.
-Moton - has been terrible
- Dunn - proved a long time ago he was not an ACC player

So the roster has one possible ACC star, one solid ACC starter, two should be role players that are forced to start for us and Rubin who the jury is out on but is clearly not ready yet for this level. You can disagree on individual guys but at best you have 4 guys that right now have proven they can play at this level and that is not enough talent.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby auggiebc on Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:04 pm

free pass this year. these are not his players, moreover they are mostly seniors who have played in a completely different system their entire college careers. he's coaching a team filled with walk-ons, 7th men, and lame duck seniors. And a junior with tons a talent who's mind seems to be elsewhere lately.

I need to see 2 full years of recruiting before I can even think of judging the coaching job, considering the current makeup of this team, and the hole he needs to dig out of.
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:26 pm

Jackson, Trapani, Raji, Paris & Elmore can play at this level in the ACC.

No one else on this team is even close. I'm starting to shake my head more if they truly gave Rubin or Moton a scholarship. No chance either of those kids can play in the ACC. I know they needed bodies but still. Rubin has potential because he's 6'6" and can shoot the lights out, but he's needs to put on a ton of muscle and develop some quickness. He is a huge liability on defense.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:37 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Jackson, Trapani, Raji, Paris & Elmore can play at this level in the ACC.

No one else on this team is even close. I'm starting to shake my head more if they truly gave Rubin or Moton a scholarship. No chance either of those kids can play in the ACC. I know they needed bodies but still. Rubin has potential because he's 6'6" and can shoot the lights out, but he's needs to put on a ton of muscle and develop some quickness. He is a huge liability on defense.

I think Moton is on scholly.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:01 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Jackson, Trapani, Raji, Paris & Elmore can play at this level in the ACC.

I think Moton is on scholly.

He's probably our best defensive guard. He's just totally lost in the wilderness on offense. I have to close my eyes every time he shoots a jump shot. That motion needs a lot of work.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Return to Conte Forum