North Carolina

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: North Carolina

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:23 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}: But stop with this nonsensical excuse for the performance. He made this bed talent wise.

I agree that he partially made this bed talent-wise, but regardless of how it got to this point, the talent on the floor for BC is lacking. You can't argue that one.

The talent on the floor is lacking when you insist on using an 11-man rotation, no doubt. BC has enough talent in the first 7 to win more games than they do.

The better excuse for the Don is that these guys, including Jackson, don't fit his system. Trapani is the best fit, and he is schizo.

I don't follow recruiting very closely, but I am willing to bet at least $5 that BC has the least talent in the ACC. And BC is currently 4-4 and has wins over some halfway decent BCS schools outside of the ACC, along with some Ivy League losses. The season has been up and down, currently down, but looking at the season as a whole, I would not say they are underperforming. We'll see how they handle the next few games. Are they going to slide off into 5-11 land or salvage the season and limp to 8-8. We shall see.

Like I said, 1-12 they have the worst talent in the ACC.

1-7, not so much.

1-7 we're near the bottom, no question. We don't have a serviceable big man. Raji had to guard Zeller at various points last night. It was funny.

So all teams with no center are near the bottom in talent? Centers haven't been relevant in college hoop for two decades.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:25 am

GreenvilleEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}: I know Donahue is upset with attendance but he has to know that basketball is 3rd at BC and he needs to fight for people's $.

Has he said this publicly? He had to know that before he got the job.

Anyway, I was at the game and I am really not that upset. BC was severely outmatched. We basically have had zero scholarship-worthy players come in the last two years AND we lost Sanders and Ravenel. What do you expect against a team full of high school All-Americans?

Please, if I hear the Rakim excuse one more time I will vomit on all of you. The guy disrespected his coach and teammates last year by his childish display of emotions at Wake Forest. His work habits were suspect at best especially considering the conditioning issues he had in previous years.

I know there are some on here who continue to long for the days of Rakim Sanders and his wealth of talent. But the ship has sailed on this one and frankly we will never know how good Rakim was or could have been by the sheer fact he never expended the effort to disprove his supporters or critics. Let Ed Cooley deal with Rakim and see if he is any happier at Fairfield.

It's not using Sanders as an excuse, it is using Sanders to dispel the retarded "cupboard bare" excuse for the Don. The cupboard is bare because he wanted it to be. You can spin it anyway you want, and yes Rakim never reached his potential, but even as a lazy POS he would be the second best player on this team BY FAR (and recent in recent efforts, he might be the best).

I have no problem with his running off Sanders and Ravenel and the incoming recruiting class. But stop with this nonsensical excuse for the performance. He made this bed talent wise.

You're wrong counselor, I am not using the Rakim excuse for last nights game. I have read your other comments about Rakim and you're probably right he would be a contributor although not high level. The choice is whether you keep a bad personality on this team. Donahue decided it was time to move on and I suspect Rakim knew it too. The fact is this, do you let him continue to poison the waters and undermine the change that the new coaching staff s trying to implement? Simple answer is no. Otherwise lack of effort should not be equated with the cupboard is bare excuse.

Again, I will make the point again - I never said you were using the Rakim excuse. I raised Rakim and Ravenel to dispel the excuse that the cupboard was left bare. The cupboard wasn't bare until the Don made it so. The rest of your post is wasted air, I agree with the Don's reason's for doing it. I am just pointing out that he could have had 2 more starters this season if he wanted them.

And you can dispute Sanders' impact all you want, but his "not high level contribution" would certainly exceed that of Rubin and Moton by 10 fold. And you wouldn't be stuck with him for 4 more years.

Just out of curiosity, when do you find to record billable hours?

I don't sleep. And I can multitask.

Stick to the point.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCEagle74 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:39 am

9--

I want $11.00 I owe you on the Packers.

If I lose, see TRE.

Tre spotted me $2000 in bets.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:44 am

BCMcG {l Wrote}:The cupboard being bare is not a legitimate excuse. Had there not been a coaching change, we would have had 12 players on scholarship this year. This includes 6 seniors and the entire starting five returning. Donahue did not retain any of the incoming freshmen and lost two key contributors. It was his decision to make a fresh start and that's fine. However, you can't do that and blame Al Skinner for the cupboard being empty.

A guy who scored 110 points in 2 years and couldn't get a positive GPA isn't exactly a player I'm crying over losing.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:52 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}: But stop with this nonsensical excuse for the performance. He made this bed talent wise.

I agree that he partially made this bed talent-wise, but regardless of how it got to this point, the talent on the floor for BC is lacking. You can't argue that one.

The talent on the floor is lacking when you insist on using an 11-man rotation, no doubt. BC has enough talent in the first 7 to win more games than they do.

The better excuse for the Don is that these guys, including Jackson, don't fit his system. Trapani is the best fit, and he is schizo.

I don't follow recruiting very closely, but I am willing to bet at least $5 that BC has the least talent in the ACC. And BC is currently 4-4 and has wins over some halfway decent BCS schools outside of the ACC, along with some Ivy League losses. The season has been up and down, currently down, but looking at the season as a whole, I would not say they are underperforming. We'll see how they handle the next few games. Are they going to slide off into 5-11 land or salvage the season and limp to 8-8. We shall see.

1-7, not so much.

1-7 we're near the bottom, no question. We don't have a serviceable big man. Raji had to guard Zeller at various points last night. It was funny.

So all teams with no center are near the bottom in talent? Centers haven't been relevant in college hoop for two decades.

We don't have any big men. Joe Trapani does our tip-off.

If you only want to argue 1-7 talent, where would you rank BC in the ACC? I would say 11 give or take one spot. Most basketball experts who know more than I would probably agree.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby BC923 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:01 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

1-7, not so much.

you can't play a full game with 7 guys in a fast paced system like this. That is why we tend not to blow anyone out, and against teams with a lot of depth lose.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:28 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
branchinator {l Wrote}:Al subjected us to 4 years of Josh Southern. I'll never forgive him for this.

Like I said, agreed, but WAAYYYYY down on my list of gripes right now.

You're right! Al shouldn't be blamed for the quality of the recent recruits. What he can be blamed for is not firing assholes like Pat Duquette and Moe Cassera, who were obviously not capable of recruiting guys with talent, heart and character. Besides that fact I liked Al. Carry on.

wasn't southern a 4 star that we were all excited about... and when i say all i mean the hoops shirtless recruiting weirdos? so getting a 4 star was al's fault (now) even though it was thought to be a good thing (then)

Of course it was Al's fault. He was lazy and didn't recruit, everyone knows that. The great Bob Ryan wrote an article about it so it has to be true.

Regards,
Mrs. Skinner
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby GreenvilleEagle on Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:41 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
branchinator {l Wrote}:Al subjected us to 4 years of Josh Southern. I'll never forgive him for this.

Like I said, agreed, but WAAYYYYY down on my list of gripes right now.

You're right! Al shouldn't be blamed for the quality of the recent recruits. What he can be blamed for is not firing assholes like Pat Duquette and Moe Cassera, who were obviously not capable of recruiting guys with talent, heart and character. Besides that fact I liked Al. Carry on.

wasn't southern a 4 star that we were all excited about... and when i say all i mean the hoops shirtless recruiting weirdos? so getting a 4 star was al's fault (now) even though it was thought to be a good thing (then)

You might have been excited
GreenvilleEagle
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:58 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}: I know Donahue is upset with attendance but he has to know that basketball is 3rd at BC and he needs to fight for people's $.

Has he said this publicly? He had to know that before he got the job.

Anyway, I was at the game and I am really not that upset. BC was severely outmatched. We basically have had zero scholarship-worthy players come in the last two years AND we lost Sanders and Ravenel. What do you expect against a team full of high school All-Americans?

Apparently he had a chalk talk yesterday during lunch at Lower, and made some comment about playing in an empty gym. I don't know the quote or context though.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BCMurt09 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:06 pm

I reserved commenting on last night's game for today to see if maybe I would feel any better, you know like writing an angry letter and then waiting a day to send it to the person if you were still angry. Well, I'm still angry. Last night's team looked like an Al Skinner coached team, maybe worse since I never in four years saw a team put 100+ up on a Skinner team. As we all do, I have several complaints and I'm sorry if these topics have been breeched already. First, rebounding. It was atrocious. I saw absolutely no offensive or defensive rebounds. Every shot Carolina took that missed ended up back in their hands, there was even one point where they missed a shot maybe two or three times and still scored because they kept getting rebounds. Offensive rebounds were no better. I never saw any put backs or offensive boards worth mentioning. Second the offensive play calling seemed unoriginal. I felt like most of our offensive possessions were 3-pt attempts or get the ball to Biko so he can drive the base line and then get snuffed and/or miss the reverse lay-up (and then not get the rebound). There were points where it honestly looked like UNC had three or four extra guys on the court the way everyone was covered and the way they swarmed to the ball. You have to give them credit for good defense. My last complaint is that there didn't seem to be any fire. I understand that it's hard to get up and give your best performance every game, I think anyone who has played competitive sports knows that. But, even though they're having a down year, this was still Carolina, still an ACC game that still matters for March and for our position in the ACC.

My last comment is about Roy Williams. I used to like him, thought he was a good coach, etc. Not after last night. Letting your scrubs in and letting them run up the score is a pretty classless move. I also thought the UNC fans, at least the ones around me, were all pretty classless as well. I attribute a lot of this to being people who just like UNC and not actual UNC alums being at the game, but classless nonetheless.

That is all. Rant over.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:16 pm

On the above:

(a) We won the rebounding advantage (UNC shooting like 70% probably helped that)
(b) The floor spacing was all screwed up on offense
(c) What you saw last night was a bunch of bandwagon UNC fans. Carolina alums are actually usually really good fans.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:25 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:On the above:

(a) We won the rebounding advantage (UNC shooting like 70% probably helped that)
(b) The floor spacing was all screwed up on offense
(c) What you saw last night was a bunch of bandwagon UNC fans. Carolina alums are actually usually really good fans.

According to the box score on espn.com they had 39 to our 32 overall rebounds. We were 14-10 on offensive but your right they didn't miss enough shots to get offensive rebounds and most of ours were putbacks of a missed layup.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:30 pm

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:I reserved commenting on last night's game for today to see if maybe I would feel any better, you know like writing an angry letter and then waiting a day to send it to the person if you were still angry. Well, I'm still angry. Last night's team looked like an Al Skinner coached team, maybe worse since I never in four years saw a team put 100+ up on a Skinner team. As we all do, I have several complaints and I'm sorry if these topics have been breeched already. First, rebounding. It was atrocious. I saw absolutely no offensive or defensive rebounds. Every shot Carolina took that missed ended up back in their hands, there was even one point where they missed a shot maybe two or three times and still scored because they kept getting rebounds. Offensive rebounds were no better. I never saw any put backs or offensive boards worth mentioning. Second the offensive play calling seemed unoriginal. I felt like most of our offensive possessions were 3-pt attempts or get the ball to Biko so he can drive the base line and then get snuffed and/or miss the reverse lay-up (and then not get the rebound). There were points where it honestly looked like UNC had three or four extra guys on the court the way everyone was covered and the way they swarmed to the ball. You have to give them credit for good defense. My last complaint is that there didn't seem to be any fire. I understand that it's hard to get up and give your best performance every game, I think anyone who has played competitive sports knows that. But, even though they're having a down year, this was still Carolina, still an ACC game that still matters for March and for our position in the ACC.

My last comment is about Roy Williams. I used to like him, thought he was a good coach, etc. Not after last night. Letting your scrubs in and letting them run up the score is a pretty classless move. I also thought the UNC fans, at least the ones around me, were all pretty classless as well. I attribute a lot of this to being people who just like UNC and not actual UNC alums being at the game, but classless nonetheless.

That is all. Rant over.

If you don't want them to run up the score....stop them from scoring. No crying about that. I'd blame Williams if he left his starters in and had them running it up. Once he puts the bench in I am fine with letting them play hard. These are guys that won't play again all year. If we can't stop a guy who never gets off the bench thats on us.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:37 pm

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:I reserved commenting on last night's game for today to see if maybe I would feel any better, you know like writing an angry letter and then waiting a day to send it to the person if you were still angry. Well, I'm still angry. Last night's team looked like an Al Skinner coached team, maybe worse since I never in four years saw a team put 100+ up on a Skinner team. As we all do, I have several complaints and I'm sorry if these topics have been breeched already. First, rebounding. It was atrocious. I saw absolutely no offensive or defensive rebounds. Every shot Carolina took that missed ended up back in their hands, there was even one point where they missed a shot maybe two or three times and still scored because they kept getting rebounds. Offensive rebounds were no better. I never saw any put backs or offensive boards worth mentioning. Second the offensive play calling seemed unoriginal. I felt like most of our offensive possessions were 3-pt attempts or get the ball to Biko so he can drive the base line and then get snuffed and/or miss the reverse lay-up (and then not get the rebound). There were points where it honestly looked like UNC had three or four extra guys on the court the way everyone was covered and the way they swarmed to the ball. You have to give them credit for good defense. My last complaint is that there didn't seem to be any fire. I understand that it's hard to get up and give your best performance every game, I think anyone who has played competitive sports knows that. But, even though they're having a down year, this was still Carolina, still an ACC game that still matters for March and for our position in the ACC.

That is all. Rant over.

If you don't want them to run up the score....stop them from scoring. No crying about that. I'd blame Williams if he left his starters in and had them running it up. Once he puts the bench in I am fine with letting them play hard. These are guys that won't play again all year. If we can't stop a guy who never gets off the bench thats on us.

UNC's walk-ons looked a whole lot better than our starters last night.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:31 pm

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:9--

If I lose, see TRE.

I told you, I have the over.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCEagle74 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:34 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:9--

If I lose, see TRE.

I told you, I have the over.

I like tha over in my fantasy bets.

Okay Under.....146 1/2...that should get me even.. 76-70 in OT.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:34 pm

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}: Last night's team looked like an Al Skinner coached team, maybe worse since I never in four years saw a team put 100+ up on a Skinner team.

You never saw it, because it never happened. Not since 1996.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:45 pm

I crapped on Bielema during football season, and I think Roy Williams is total clownshoes in the coaching department, but I have no problems with the way he handled the game last night. He did absolutely nothing to show up a BC team that didn't bother to show up (Trapani excepted)
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:11 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I crapped on Bielema during football season, and I think Roy Williams is total clownshoes in the coaching department, but I have no problems with the way he handled the game last night. He did absolutely nothing to show up a BC team that didn't bother to show up (Trapani excepted)

The game started so well (we had a 6 point lead I think at one point)....it's unfathomable to me that it can go away that fast. Our offense finally looked good early in the game.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:12 pm

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}: I also thought the UNC fans, at least the ones around me, were all pretty classless as well. I attribute a lot of this to being people who just like UNC and not actual UNC alums being at the game, but classless nonetheless.

Masshole bandwagon UNC fans. The worst.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby branchinator on Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:14 pm

I, for one, am glad that Roy made a point to show our team that they're a bunch of pussies (except for Trapani). Like TRE said, if you don't like it when the other team scores on you, then play some defense.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Previous

Return to Conte Forum