North Carolina

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: North Carolina

Postby claver2010 on Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:45 pm

This might sound merryman-esque and it's not me simply throwing players under the bus because the coach deserves blame as well but, I can't remember seeing a BC team in person have that much inferior talent when compared to another team. There are probably 4 ACC players on this team. Everything UNC did was effortless and with a purpose -which is sad because Roy is :clownshoes .

Now that by no means excuses several things:
1) D: we've all discussed this but effort plays a huge factor on D, rebounding, etc. and that's just not there right now. Granted a team of walk ons going balls to the wall won't be great but there needs to be more attention to this end.
2) Reggie: This guy brings the energy to the team and to the Conte morgue (which was energetic tonight -more on that later) but has been in an absolute funk recently. His frustration on the bench is obvious, not sure what has happened.

The crowd: This game reminded me of my sophomore year (1st year post Dudley when the big class were FR). A very meh crowd for much of the year, a big time ACC team -it was Wake when they were #1/2, hype around campus, sold out, etc and team lays an egg. Attendance proceeds to be dreadful for the rest of the year. I know Donahue is upset with attendance but he has to know that basketball is 3rd at BC and he needs to fight for people's $.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:51 pm

Everything UNC did looked effortless because they didn't have to exert any effort against the BC defense.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Dirtywater75 on Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:55 pm

Gee I hope Southern has another year of eligibility remaining (especially with Dunn graduating).
Dirtywater75
Carney Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:01 am

All I can say is with the exception of Trapani this team should be enbarassed. I put in more effort getting to the game than they did playing it. How in the hell do you let a team drop 100+ on you in your gym? That was pathetic. Reggie looked awful. Southern looked like a woman. UNC is clearly a better team than us, but no one should beat you by 30 at home. We actually hit a decent number of threes so can you imagine how bad it could have been if the shooting was cold?

Who said we were 79% to make the tourney? Still feeling good about that?
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby BC923 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:05 am

I actually thought Raji looked pretty good for a guy that does most of his work inside against some good shot blockers. Obviously Trapani had the game of his life.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:09 am

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:All I can say is with the exception of Trapani this team should be enbarassed. I put in more effort getting to the game than they did playing it. How in the hell do you let a team drop 100+ on you in your gym? That was pathetic. Reggie looked awful. Southern looked like a woman. UNC is clearly a better team than us, but no one should beat you by 30 at home. We actually hit a decent number of threes so can you imagine how bad it could have been if the shooting was cold?

Who said we were 79% to make the tourney? Still feeling good about that?

You don't let a team drop 100 on you ever. Hasn't happened since 1996.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby GlorytoBC on Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:12 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Barnes is a very very good talent. The rest of this UNC team is meh. They are really tall, and they shot the lights out, but this is a marginal tourney team at best. Remember that BC's defense could make a CYO rec team look good.

Reggie Bullock is actually very good. He pretty much played hurt for the first half of the year.
GlorytoBC
Carney Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:29 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}: I know Donahue is upset with attendance but he has to know that basketball is 3rd at BC and he needs to fight for people's $.

Has he said this publicly? He had to know that before he got the job.

Anyway, I was at the game and I am really not that upset. BC was severely outmatched. We basically have had zero scholarship-worthy players come in the last two years AND we lost Sanders and Ravenel. What do you expect against a team full of high school All-Americans?
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby BC923 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:32 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}: I know Donahue is upset with attendance but he has to know that basketball is 3rd at BC and he needs to fight for people's $.

Anyway, I was at the game and I am really not that upset. BC was severely outmatched. We basically have had zero scholarship-worthy players come in the last two years AND we lost Sanders and Ravenel. What do you expect against a team full of high school All-Americans?

While you might get a lot of "This game wasn't played on a high school court though" I understand what you mean, we didn't ahve the athletes to keep up with them, even so our effort was atrocious (sorry to trapani who will undoubtedly go under the radar for this performance) but we shouldn't ahve lost by 30 to this team.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:59 am

Just got home.

At least the band was in good form tonight. You think the intro, crowd, excitement and lights show scared the BC players?
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby thebigskinny31 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:50 am

I made the two hours trip to the game tonight and a few things i noticed:
-The crowd was great for all of 8 minutes just like the team. Once BC lost the lead the crowd was dead quite for the rest of the game.
-UNC was pretty much over the back on every rebound yet even about half way thru the second half we were plus 10 on the glass which was shocking.
-Harrison Barnes is a great taalent, he makes things look so easy on the court.
-Gotta thank Trapani for bein the only player to show up tonight. He was by far the one bright spot even thou he threw away that pass to Rubin on the 3on1 fast break that put the final dagger in the game.
-This is a serious question.... Has Southern EVER dunked the ball in a game??? I have never seen it and he miss about 3 layups on 1 possesion nd i couldnt understand why he didnt jus throw it down.
-Somthing has gone terribly wrong with Reggie, He jus doesnt seem very interested. Watching him on the bench it looked like he wanted to be sum place else. Who knows what happened but he's begining to remind me of Sanders from last year. A guy with sooo much expectations that crapped out even thou Reggie dominated the frist half of the season.
thebigskinny31
Carney Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:19 am

My guess is the taint of Lazy elvis is gone next year and with the entrance of his second and third recruiting classes in 2013-2014 will be the official start of the SD era of his kids and his team.

I am hoping the class of 2012-2013 is mind boggling rich in talent and size and BC begins a new era where we cna compete for Final Four yearly like Duke.

8 Seniors...never saw that before?

Unusual mix.

Then again... 8-4-0-2

No. Last Name Name eligibility Class Position Height Ht. Wt. High School Hometown
**************************************************************************************************
12 LEAVERS IN 2 SEASONS....
**************************************************************************************************
-10 jackson reggie Reggie Jackson 5 JR Guard 75 6-3 208 Palmer Colorado Springs, CO
4 moton gabriel Gabriel Moton 1 FR Guard 74 6-2 170 St. Petersburg St. Petersburg, FL
15 humphrey matt Matt Humphrey 5 JR Guard 77 6-5 185 Hales Franciscan Chicago, IL
25 rehnquist peter Peter Rehnquist 5 JR Guard/Forward 76 6-4 210 Deerfield Academy Sharon, MA
30 elmore dallas Dallas Elmore 5 JR Guard 77 6-5 210 Poudre Fort Collins, CO
31 rubin danny Danny Rubin 1 FR Guard 78 6-6 170 Landon School Chevy Chase, MD
8 LEAVERS

52 southern josh Josh Southern 7 SR Center 82 6-10 263 Saginaw Saginaw, MI
55 dunn cortney Cortney Dunn 7 SR Forward 80 6-8 238 Lake Highlands Dallas, TX
5 paris biko Biko Paris 7 SR Guard 73 6-1 194 Cypress Christian (TX) New Orleans, LA
11 raji corey Corey Raji 7 SR Forward 78 6-6 218 Westwood Washington Twnshp, NJ
12 trapani joe Joe Trapani 7 SR Forward 80 6-8 232 Daniel Hand Madison, CT
14 mosakowski nick Nick Mosakowski 7 SR Guard 73 6-1 187 Pingree School Swampscott, MA
20 cahill john John Cahill 7 SR Guard 73 6-1 170 Christian Brothers Acad. Albany, NY
24 kowalski chris Chris Kowalski 7 SR Forward 78 6-6 240 Roxbury Latin Dorchester, Mass.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:29 am

Blaming Skinner is getting old and boring. I am also excited to see what Donahue can do when he gets his own recruits in, but blaming Al Skinner for the ass waxing we took last night is lazy and stupid. Obviously they had more talent than we did, but that is no excuse for lack of effort. Reggie Jackson's problem is not lack of talent unless we have all been vastly overrating him. Going into this year my expectations were low and Donahue gets a free pass, but for the sake of next year he needs to shake things up. If that's the effort Jackson is going to put in he might as well sit him for the whole game.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:49 am

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:Blaming Skinner is getting old and boring. I am also excited to see what Donahue can do when he gets his own recruits in, but blaming Al Skinner for the ass waxing we took last night is lazy and stupid. Obviously they had more talent than we did, but that is no excuse for lack of effort. Reggie Jackson's problem is not lack of talent unless we have all been vastly overrating him. Going into this year my expectations were low and Donahue gets a free pass, but for the sake of next year he needs to shake things up. If that's the effort Jackson is going to put in he might as well sit him for the whole game.

74's hoop posting (lazy, stupid) is tracking like his opinion of Al's coaching. Started slow, built to a program height in the early 2000s, and tapered off to Bolivian at the end.

Thanks for all the greatness 74, but you seem to be on the barcalounger now.
Last edited by twballgame9 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCEagle74 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:50 am

Stevie D has to get through to Reggie for next year. or not and just move on down the road and get a point guard or two.

Reggie has to wise up or he is shooting hoops in China.

If Reggis is a problem, bench him until he quits, or then just release him, kick him off team and move on.

A loss for BC since he is the best player, but in the overall scheme of things for this program, Reggie is nothing.

If Skinner wanted to quit and let recruits come to BC and visit the Yawkey barcoulounger, then that lazy Elvis asshole should done so before the 2006-2007 season.

Fuck Al Skinner and his millions. He quit long ago.

True, Skinner is gone, but these guys are still there and still can go through the motions and get a free meal room and board and there is sometimes nothing besides yelling and benching that SD can do?

Al was fucking asshole. No recruits 3 years ago?

WTF is BC now Walpole State Prision?

I now believe that was one of the main reasons he was fired. How did we not get one solid kid for the last 3 years and none in one year.

Fuck everybody... THAT IS L-A-Z-Y ELVIS in the rocking chair.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby Dirtywater75 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:54 am

I fully expect next year to be much worse as we will only have Reggie and Elmore and then a bunch of freshmen. Judgment on Donahue needs to be reserved until year 3 - and even then it may not be that good but it should at least be promising. I think 74's point is well taken that Donahue has walked into a difficult situation. He should have inherited a team with 3-4 years worth of players. Instead he got a team overladen with seniors and just two other kids. We have two years (09 and 10) - where we did not get a single ACC caliber recruit. That makes our situation going into next year extremely difficult. If Donahue can recruit - we'll eventually be alright. In the meantime, we'll just have to take pleasure (hopefully) in witnessing the development of the younger players. It will be hugely important for the student body and other fans to realize all of this and support this team.
Dirtywater75
Carney Hall

Postby GreenvilleEagle on Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:27 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

Please, if I hear the Rakim excuse one more time I will vomit on all of you. The guy disrespected his coach and teammates last year by his childish display of emotions at Wake Forest. His work habits were suspect at best especially considering the conditioning issues he had in previous years.

I know there are some on here who continue to long for the days of Rakim Sanders and his wealth of talent. But the ship has sailed on this one and frankly we will never know how good Rakim was or could have been by the sheer fact he never expended the effort to disprove his supporters or critics. Let Ed Cooley deal with Rakim and see if he is any happier at Fairfield.
GreenvilleEagle
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:32 am

GreenvilleEagle {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

Please, if I hear the Rakim excuse one more time I will vomit on all of you. The guy disrespected his coach and teammates last year by his childish display of emotions at Wake Forest. His work habits were suspect at best especially considering the conditioning issues he had in previous years.

I know there are some on here who continue to long for the days of Rakim Sanders and his wealth of talent. But the ship has sailed on this one and frankly we will never know how good Rakim was or could have been by the sheer fact he never expended the effort to disprove his supporters or critics. Let Ed Cooley deal with Rakim and see if he is any happier at Fairfield.

It's not using Sanders as an excuse, it is using Sanders to dispel the retarded "cupboard bare" excuse for the Don. The cupboard is bare because he wanted it to be. You can spin it anyway you want, and yes Rakim never reached his potential, but even as a lazy POS he would be the second best player on this team BY FAR (and recent in recent efforts, he might be the best).

I have no problem with his running off Sanders and Ravenel and the incoming recruiting class. But stop with this nonsensical excuse for the performance. He made this bed talent wise.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:36 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

The Rakim Sanders portion of my statement was not the main point. The overall point is that we are down about 5 or 6 scholarship players and we were competing against a team that gets the best recruits in the country.

And the scholarhip players that we do have are not exactly world beaters outside of Reggie Jackson (when we are getting 100% from him).
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:41 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}: But stop with this nonsensical excuse for the performance. He made this bed talent wise.

I agree that he partially made this bed talent-wise, but regardless of how it got to this point, the talent on the floor for BC is lacking. You can't argue that one.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby GreenvilleEagle on Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:41 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

It's not using Sanders as an excuse, it is using Sanders to dispel the retarded "cupboard bare" excuse for the Don. The cupboard is bare because he wanted it to be. You can spin it anyway you want, and yes Rakim never reached his potential, but even as a lazy POS he would be the second best player on this team BY FAR (and recent in recent efforts, he might be the best).

I have no problem with his running off Sanders and Ravenel and the incoming recruiting class. But stop with this nonsensical excuse for the performance. He made this bed talent wise.

You're wrong counselor, I am not using the Rakim excuse for last nights game. I have read your other comments about Rakim and you're probably right he would be a contributor although not high level. The choice is whether you keep a bad personality on this team. Donahue decided it was time to move on and I suspect Rakim knew it too. The fact is this, do you let him continue to poison the waters and undermine the change that the new coaching staff s trying to implement? Simple answer is no. Otherwise lack of effort should not be equated with the cupboard is bare excuse.
GreenvilleEagle
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:45 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}: But stop with this nonsensical excuse for the performance. He made this bed talent wise.

I agree that he partially made this bed talent-wise, but regardless of how it got to this point, the talent on the floor for BC is lacking. You can't argue that one.

The talent on the floor is lacking when you insist on using an 11-man rotation, no doubt. BC has enough talent in the first 7 to win more games than they do.

The better excuse for the Don is that these guys, including Jackson, don't fit his system. Trapani is the best fit, and he is schizo.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:48 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

You're wrong counselor, I am not using the Rakim excuse for last nights game. I have read your other comments about Rakim and you're probably right he would be a contributor although not high level. The choice is whether you keep a bad personality on this team. Donahue decided it was time to move on and I suspect Rakim knew it too. The fact is this, do you let him continue to poison the waters and undermine the change that the new coaching staff s trying to implement? Simple answer is no. Otherwise lack of effort should not be equated with the cupboard is bare excuse.

Again, I will make the point again - I never said you were using the Rakim excuse. I raised Rakim and Ravenel to dispel the excuse that the cupboard was left bare. The cupboard wasn't bare until the Don made it so. The rest of your post is wasted air, I agree with the Don's reason's for doing it. I am just pointing out that he could have had 2 more starters this season if he wanted them.

And you can dispute Sanders' impact all you want, but his "not high level contribution" would certainly exceed that of Rubin and Moton by 10 fold. And you wouldn't be stuck with him for 4 more years.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:50 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

The talent on the floor is lacking when you insist on using an 11-man rotation, no doubt. BC has enough talent in the first 7 to win more games than they do.

The better excuse for the Don is that these guys, including Jackson, don't fit his system. Trapani is the best fit, and he is schizo.

I don't follow recruiting very closely, but I am willing to bet at least $5 that BC has the least talent in the ACC. And BC is currently 4-4 and has wins over some halfway decent BCS schools outside of the ACC, along with some Ivy League losses. The season has been up and down, currently down, but looking at the season as a whole, I would not say they are underperforming. We'll see how they handle the next few games. Are they going to slide off into 5-11 land or salvage the season and limp to 8-8. We shall see.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:53 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

I don't follow recruiting very closely, but I am willing to bet at least $5 that BC has the least talent in the ACC. And BC is currently 4-4 and has wins over some halfway decent BCS schools outside of the ACC, along with some Ivy League losses. The season has been up and down, currently down, but looking at the season as a whole, I would not say they are underperforming. We'll see how they handle the next few games. Are they going to slide off into 5-11 land or salvage the season and limp to 8-8. We shall see.

Like I said, 1-12 they have the worst talent in the ACC.

1-7, not so much.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCMcG on Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:07 am

HOLY CRAP! BC didn't get a single recruit in 2009? If only they had filled that one available scholarship they had, we wouldn't be getting blown out by 32 to UNC! Think of all of the 5-star recruits lining up to play on a team with six returning juniors and the entire starting lineup returning for the next two years.

And then Al Skinner didn't get any recruits in 2010? Unbelievable. Maybe if he had been able to pull in a 6-10 forward who was a prolific scorer, our front line wouldn't be so thin.

The cupboard being bare is not a legitimate excuse. Had there not been a coaching change, we would have had 12 players on scholarship this year. This includes 6 seniors and the entire starting five returning. Donahue did not retain any of the incoming freshmen and lost two key contributors. It was his decision to make a fresh start and that's fine. However, you can't do that and blame Al Skinner for the cupboard being empty.

The argument that Sanders wasn't going to bring anything to the table is weak, too. It only works if the alternatives are as good or better. Unfortunately, the alternatives are far, far worse. Instead of a guy who's disappointing because of unrealized potential, you throw in guys who are disappointing because they have no business being on the court. As disappointing as Sanders was, he would have given BC a dozen points a game and half a dozen rebounds. He would have commanded the attention of the defense. What we have instead is Danny Rubin running around the three point line looking terrified to shoot if anyone is within 10 feet of him.

In the long run, a coaching change needed to be made, but the jury is still out on Donahue. And don't think it's going to get any better next year. It is going to be rough as we rely on a class of freshmen to play major minutes. I have faith in the guy, but it's going to be several years before we see this turned around.
BCMcG
McGuinn Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:07 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

1-7, not so much.

1-7 we're near the bottom, no question. We don't have a serviceable big man. Raji had to guard Zeller at various points last night. It was funny.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby GreenvilleEagle on Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:07 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

Again, I will make the point again - I never said you were using the Rakim excuse. I raised Rakim and Ravenel to dispel the excuse that the cupboard was left bare. The cupboard wasn't bare until the Don made it so. The rest of your post is wasted air, I agree with the Don's reason's for doing it. I am just pointing out that he could have had 2 more starters this season if he wanted them.

And you can dispute Sanders' impact all you want, but his "not high level contribution" would certainly exceed that of Rubin and Moton by 10 fold. And you wouldn't be stuck with him for 4 more years.

Just out of curiosity, when do you find to record billable hours?
GreenvilleEagle
Campion Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:12 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

1-7, not so much.

1-7 we're near the bottom, no question. We don't have a serviceable big man. Raji had to guard Zeller at various points last night. It was funny.

Raji on Zeller was funny. It was like watching a father play with his 10 year old.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:13 am

[quote="BCMcG"]HOLY CRAP! BC didn't get a single recruit in 2009? If only they had filled that one available scholarship they had, we wouldn't be getting blown out by 32 to UNC! Think of all of the 5-star recruits lining up to play on a team with six returning juniors and the entire starting lineup returning for the next two years.

And then Al Skinner didn't get any recruits in 2010? Unbelievable. Maybe if he had been able to pull in a 6-10 forward who was a prolific scorer, our front line wouldn't be so thin.

quote]

The point was not how BC arrived at this cupboard situation and who to blame for it, the point was that we only have 6 or 7 scholarship-worthy players on this roster now. The cupboard is bare NOW, not in "what if" land where we retained all recruits and transfers. Blame Donahue or blame Skinner or blame both. Or blame the Conte ghosts. I don't care.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum