BC: 79% Probable for the Dance

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: BC: 79% Probable for the Dance

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:28 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:If the Don had lost the schollie players, I would have seen a complete lack of effort early in the 2nd half. I didn't see that. These kids are trying.

I saw a complete lack of effort from everyone not named "Trapani" for the whole game. It stood out like a sore thumb because Trapani was actually trying.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:30 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:If the Don had lost the schollie players, I would have seen a complete lack of effort early in the 2nd half. I didn't see that. These kids are trying.

I saw a complete lack of effort from everyone not named "Trapani" for the whole game. It stood out like a sore thumb because Trapani was actually trying.

If the Don had lost the schollie players, I would have seen a complete lack of effort by early in the 2nd half. I didn't see that. These kids are trying.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:34 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

If the Don had lost the schollie players, I would have seen a complete lack of effort by early in the 2nd half. I didn't see that. These kids are trying.

I didn't make the "lost the players comment." But they weren't trying very hard last night. Rah, rah!
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Art Vandelay on Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:34 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

So are you saying Reggie Jackson is just not that good? He clearly was not putting in much effort....either that or he just sucks, which I am pretty sure is not it.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:35 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

I didn't make the "lost the players comment." But they weren't trying very hard last night. Rah, rah!

I see, we have different opinions on the effort level, so I'm a rah rah. :roll:
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:41 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

I just said rah rah! I didn't call you one. I was jumping on your rosy glasses bandwagon.

There is no way whatsoever that anyone could have watched that game last night and concluded that anyone other than Trapani was making a legitimate effort. First time since 1996 that BC has given up 100 points in a regulation game. All is well! There's not enough talent! Reggie's not giving up, he just stinks! Cupboard was bare!
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Art Vandelay on Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:46 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

I just said rah rah! I didn't call you one. I was jumping on your rosy glasses bandwagon.

There is no way whatsoever that anyone could have watched that game last night and concluded that anyone other than Trapani was making a legitimate effort. First time since 1996 that BC has given up 100 points in a regulation game. All is well! There's not enough talent! Reggie's not giving up, he just stinks! Cupboard was bare!

100% agree. I was there and I saw a team that was not trying very hard (except Trapani who was working his ass off) Defensive is effort and 106 points tells the story.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:46 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Quite the distinction, teddyballmantics. Yes there is no way that someone could have a differing opinion. I'm glad you've brought out the big guns. Yawn.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:51 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Quite the distinction, teddyballmantics. Yes there is no way that someone could have a differing opinion. I'm glad you've brought out the big guns. Yawn.

I don't have to bring the big guns for this argument. I'll just wait for you to predictably ignore the point, jump on hyperbolic non sequitur, and defeat yourself.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Art Vandelay on Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:53 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:just wondering, do my predictions of slumping in the acc portion of the schedule due to a lack of depth and not making the ncaa tournament still make me a bad fan OR am i just a realist that wound up being "real"

I thought bad fan and realist meant the same thing.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:04 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Raji and Trapani put in a good effort. Everyone else was an embarrassment. Someone is also going to have to explain what Donahue was thinking bringing Gabe Moton under scholarship. He can't play at this level. I just refuse to believe that we went from being a good basketball team to a bad basketball team in three games.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:21 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Raji and Trapani put in a good effort. Everyone else was an embarrassment. Someone is also going to have to explain what Donahue was thinking bringing Gabe Moton under scholarship. He can't play at this level. I just refuse to believe that we went from being a good basketball team to a bad basketball team in three games.

Have you ever considered the possibility that they they were not a very good team before? This team can compete with the mid to bottom of the conference, but its no coincidence that we have been spanked by the top three teams in the league. We rely heavily on threes and play no defense which will lead to inconsistent play (see Yale).

The effort last night was embarassing but let's face it, with our best effort we lose to UNC. Maybe we keep it under 10 if we try but that's about it.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:45 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Have you ever considered the possibility that they they were not a very good team before? This team can compete with the mid to bottom of the conference, but its no coincidence that we have been spanked by the top three teams in the league. We rely heavily on threes and play no defense which will lead to inconsistent play (see Yale).

The effort last night was embarassing but let's face it, with our best effort we lose to UNC. Maybe we keep it under 10 if we try but that's about it.

"but what about maryland and texas a&m"

p and s - load up on the maryland comments for the next few weeks because once this team of give-up-artists faces them again, we won't be able to spout that one anymore

Again this team didn't just turn into a bad team all of the sudden. We made Carolina look like their '08 National Championship team last night. I absolutely think that we can beat UNC, just not with the effort and execution last night.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:53 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

p and s - load up on the maryland comments for the next few weeks because once this team of give-up-artists faces them again, we won't be able to spout that one anymore

Again this team didn't just turn into a bad team all of the sudden. We made Carolina look like their '08 National Championship team last night. I absolutely think that we can beat UNC, just not with the effort and execution last night.

How can you have watched that game last night and say we have any shot of beating that team? We did not turn bad all of a sudden. We are an inconsistent mediocre team and always have been. Some nights will be good and others will be bad but against really good competition we have no shot and we have been proving that lately.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:54 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:welcome aboard... reality is that as a long season drags on, a short bench only gets more and more weary and gaps in talent only get more and more evident. you and many others have been preaching that this is a no-doubt tournament team irregardless of the multitude of obvious limitations and warning signs. the problem with that is it ignores fatigue and other intangibles such as slumps and "bad weeks."

and that's before you even get to the question of what the hell is wrong with reggie. can some of you nerds students kick some bushes to find out if he's having school trouble, girl trouble, pharmacutical trouble, etc?

Is the ankle injury still bothering him maybe? We just suck when he scores like 4 points.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:55 pm

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

How can you have watched that game last night and say we have any shot of beating that team? We did not turn bad all of a sudden. We are an inconsistent mediocre team and always have been. Some nights will be good and others will be bad but against really good competition we have no shot and we have been proving that lately.

We can beat them the same way we beat Maryland on the road. Shoot in well from 3 and play some semblance of defense. We just need to get the ship righted on Saturday because otherwise this could be on the way to 5-11 or something like that. VT, Clemson and Maryland aren't elite teams by any means.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:00 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

We can beat them the same way we beat Maryland on the road. Shoot in well from 3 and play some semblance of defense. We just need to get the ship righted on Saturday because otherwise this could be on the way to 5-11 or something like that. VT, Clemson and Maryland aren't elite teams by any means.

We shot 45% from three in that game to their 17% and only won by 4. You really want to rely on that as the recipe for success. Not exactly a high percentage strategy.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCMcG on Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:00 pm

So if this goes on and Jackson grows increasingly frustrated, does he bail after the season? (Not necessarily to the NBA draft, but maybe Europe or a college program that's not him, Dallas Elmore, and a bunch of freshmen)
BCMcG
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:08 pm

BCMcG {l Wrote}:So if this goes on and Jackson grows increasingly frustrated, does he bail after the season? (Not necessarily to the NBA draft, but maybe Europe or a college program that's not him, Dallas Elmore, and a bunch of freshmen)

With Jackson, Humphrey and Ryan Anderson, I'd think we could be .500 or so. If Jackson leaves or continues to play like this, we won't win 10 games.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:08 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:i would guess the ankle injury wouldn't have gotten him benched and would have been openly admitted by coach skinnahue rather than the crypic messages and information we've received thus far

STOP TALKING ABOUT SKINNER. :lame
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:53 pm

BC will be fine next year. They need Jackson to stay, but they will be okay, just young. And the players will fit the system.

They won't be dancing, but I figure they can grab 16-17 wins, 6-7 conference wins, an NIT bid and build for the future. I think the addition of shooters with size at every position can do nothing but help them. Basketball is one sport where freshmen can come in and have a huge impact, and I am predicting that Anderson and L. Jackson (off of the bench) will do just that. It will take a while for Caudil and Clifford to develop, but at least they can help with interior defense and rebounding in the interim.

Wish they were bringing in a PG, however. Moton ain't it.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:09 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:BC will be fine next year. They need Jackson to stay, but they will be okay, just young. And the players will fit the system.

They won't be dancing, but I figure they can grab 16-17 wins, 6-7 conference wins, an NIT bid and build for the future. I think the addition of shooters with size at every position can do nothing but help them. Basketball is one sport where freshmen can come in and have a huge impact, and I am predicting that Anderson and L. Jackson (off of the bench) will do just that. It will take a while for Caudil and Clifford to develop, but at least they can help with interior defense and rebounding in the interim.

Wish they were bringing in a PG, however. Moton ain't it.

We're still looking at Guerrero and Daniels at PG. Even if it takes Caudill and Clifford sometime to develop, there is no chance they could be as bad as Southern and Dunn. And yes, I know DD couldn't be any worse than Chris Crane, but I really mean it this time. I would have rather have let one of the Superfans play than Southern, Dunn or Kowalski last night.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:55 am

We have a 79% chance of making the Dance if we win 6 out of the final 8 games.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:43 am

HJS {l Wrote}:We have a 79% chance of making the Dance if we win 6 out of the final 8 games.

i thought it was 7 out of 10 (with the last 1-1 coming from the acc tournament)

The season is more or less over if we lose to Maryland on Saturday unless you think they're going to win in the Dean Dome. Otherwise, I'm still convinced 9-7 + 1 in the ACCT will do it. 9-7 + 2 in the ACCT is a guarantee.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:27 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:how about 8-8 +2 in the acct?

It depends what the wins are. Unless one of those 3 wins in the regular season is @ UNC and one in the ACCT is against Duke or UNC then no, we will make the NIT.

Otherwise wins over Miami, Wake, @ UVA, a first round ACCT win over NCST (or Wake) and a second round win over FSU (or whoever finishes 4th in the ACC if we got the 5 seed) isn't going to cut it. I think that leaves you one of the 1st 4 teams out. All comes back to how important this Maryland game is. Sweeping VT would do wonders also. Sweeps over MD and VT (fellow bubble teams) would look awfully good come March.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:57 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:how about 8-8 +2 in the acct?

It depends what the wins are. Unless one of those 3 wins in the regular season is @ UNC and one in the ACCT is against Duke or UNC then no, we will make the NIT.

Otherwise wins over Miami, Wake, @ UVA, a first round ACCT win over NCST (or Wake) and a second round win over FSU (or whoever finishes 4th in the ACC if we got the 5 seed) isn't going to cut it. I think that leaves you one of the 1st 4 teams out. All comes back to how important this Maryland game is. Sweeping VT would do wonders also. Sweeps over MD and VT (fellow bubble teams) would look awfully good come March.

why does it matter who if the 10-6 doesn't.

in other words, do we still make it at 10-6 if our losses are to wake and virginia?

Again. 9-7 +1 in the ACC = 80% chance to get in. 10-6 (even with your silly scenerio above ) would get you in 100% (that means you beat UNC and VT on the road with sweeps of MD and VT). 8-8 is going to = NIT unless you pick up a bunch of signature wins.

10 wins gets you in, I don't care who we beat. You're going to have to beat some better teams (i.e. Duke and Carolina) if you want to get in with 8 wins.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby bignick33 on Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:23 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:again - this team can beat anybody and lose to anybody

fixed
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:38 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:again - this team can beat anybody and lose to anybody

fixed

i honestly think that they CAN beat anybody... but it would take a hot night from behind the arc coupled with a cold night from the opponent. to claim that it is impossible for both to happen is even more pessimistic than the biggest chicken little on this board would commit to. that's right, i'm saying you hate bc sports more than me

Whoa, did HomoJS hijack your account?!
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:36 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

fixed

i honestly think that they CAN beat anybody... but it would take a hot night from behind the arc coupled with a cold night from the opponent. to claim that it is impossible for both to happen is even more pessimistic than the biggest chicken little on this board would commit to. that's right, i'm saying you hate bc sports more than me

obviously not... i didn't say anything about spaz or gdf hating america and murdering puppies.

plus, i said bc could win

This team is more fun to watch than in past years, but I really do hate them just the same. Gaining any sort of consistency would really be appreciated.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:24 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

fixed

obviously not... i didn't say anything about spaz or gdf hating america and murdering puppies.

plus, i said bc could win

This team is more fun to watch than in past years, but I really do hate them just the same. Gaining any sort of consistency would really be appreciated.

i tried to tell you WEEKS ago to write off thoughts of the tournament and simply enjoy the wins and expect the losses. you needed WEEKS of yo-yo action until you came around to agreeing with me.

I was one of the few who was with you on this from the start.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum