RPI Weirdos

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

RPI Weirdos

Postby bignick33 on Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:32 am

I subscribe to realtimerpi.com, and they always have some interesting content and projections. Now that we're almost 2/3 through the season, RPI is becoming an increasingly relevant topic. BC's current RPI is 34 and their SOS is 25. The SOS is projected to increase to 22 by the end of the season. The site projects that BC will finish at 9-7 in the ACC and 19-11 overall; more significantly, if they do finish at 19-11, the site projects a final RPI of 41 (not including ACC Tourney, of course). BC has benefited slightly over the last couple of weeks in the computer rankings by stronger play from their nonconference opponents.

I remain comfortable in my prediction in another thread that 20 wins definitely gets BC in, whereas 19 put BC squarely on the bubble. At 20 wins, BC's resume would be as follows: mid 30s RPI, at least one signature road/neutral win (Texas A&M), 10 ACC wins. One area that BC would improve is wins over top 50 RPI teams; currently we only have one, although we do have a moderately strong record versus the RPI top 100 (6-5). The fact of the matter is that it is very rare for power conference teams to be left out of the dance with an RPI above 40. And, based on the fact that 68 teams will qualify, three additional bubble teams will make the tournament compared to prior years. I believe that if BC finishes 20-11 or 20-12, they're dancing.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Re: RPI Weirdos

Postby EagleDave on Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:36 am

The more this season plays out, the more I get the feeling that we're going to be a part of the new fangled "play-in" experiment.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:11 pm

RPI is a good tool to be used in conjunction with other factors but be careful not to overstate its use. You still need to look at a lot of other things, as the committe will, to determine if a team makes the dance. Its going to be tough to improve our record against the top 50 since we only have Duke and Carolina twice that are in the top 50 right now. Carolina being RPI 20 should tell you something. Harvard has an RPI of 50 right now, but that has to be going down since they don't play a team under 140 the rest of the season. I like RPI in general but it can be misleading.

Remember that VT did not make it last year with an RPI in the 50s, 10 ACC wins and 23 wins overall. That was 10 wins in an ACC that was better than it is this year.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby bignick33 on Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:15 pm

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:Remember that VT did not make it last year with an RPI in the 50s, 10 ACC wins and 23 wins overall. That was 10 wins in an ACC that was better than it is this year.

Their nonconference absolutely blew. RPI is important because of how big a part SOS plays into it. In a way, RPI is almost a synopsis of a schools season. Obviously the committee considers other factors such as how a team is playing down the stretch, but the fact remains that power conference teams almost always make the dance if they're top 40. That's where BC would be if they have 20 wins.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:54 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:I subscribe to realtimerpi.com, and they always have some interesting content and projections. Now that we're almost 2/3 through the season, RPI is becoming an increasingly relevant topic. BC's current RPI is 34 and their SOS is 25. The SOS is projected to increase to 22 by the end of the season. The site projects that BC will finish at 9-7 in the ACC and 19-11 overall; more significantly, if they do finish at 19-11, the site projects a final RPI of 41 (not including ACC Tourney, of course). BC has benefited slightly over the last couple of weeks in the computer rankings by stronger play from their nonconference opponents.

I remain comfortable in my prediction in another thread that 20 wins definitely gets BC in, whereas 19 put BC squarely on the bubble. At 20 wins, BC's resume would be as follows: mid 30s RPI, at least one signature road/neutral win (Texas A&M), 10 ACC wins. One area that BC would improve is wins over top 50 RPI teams; currently we only have one, although we do have a moderately strong record versus the RPI top 100 (6-5). The fact of the matter is that it is very rare for power conference teams to be left out of the dance with an RPI above 40. And, based on the fact that 68 teams will qualify, three additional bubble teams will make the tournament compared to prior years. I believe that if BC finishes 20-11 or 20-12, they're dancing.

Now that our RPI is 45 I guess we don't need to worry about being left out with an RPI above 40.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:07 pm

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:I subscribe to realtimerpi.com, and they always have some interesting content and projections. Now that we're almost 2/3 through the season, RPI is becoming an increasingly relevant topic. BC's current RPI is 34 and their SOS is 25. The SOS is projected to increase to 22 by the end of the season. The site projects that BC will finish at 9-7 in the ACC and 19-11 overall; more significantly, if they do finish at 19-11, the site projects a final RPI of 41 (not including ACC Tourney, of course). BC has benefited slightly over the last couple of weeks in the computer rankings by stronger play from their nonconference opponents.

Now that our RPI is 45 I guess we don't need to worry about being left out with an RPI above 40.

This is what happens when the wheels on the bus fall off.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:25 pm

My biggest concern is getting to those 20 wins that I think we need to make it. Looking at the schedule we have 8 games left which allows us a fudge margin of only two losses. We can't afford to lose any more than that right now. I'll reserve further judgement until after the VT game on Saturday, but after these last few losses and how close our ACC wins were already, I don't think we can mark down any of our next 8 games as sure wins (except maybe Wake Forest). I will agree and say that I expect us to make the Touney, but we have a razor thin margin of error right now.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:45 pm

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:My biggest concern is getting to those 20 wins that I think we need to make it. Looking at the schedule we have 8 games left which allows us a fudge margin of only two losses. We can't afford to lose any more than that right now. I'll reserve further judgement until after the VT game on Saturday, but after these last few losses and how close our ACC wins were already, I don't think we can mark down any of our next 8 games as sure wins (except maybe Wake Forest). I will agree and say that I expect us to make the Touney, but we have a razor thin margin of error right now.

I need to see the VT game (via the interweb) before I can make a decision on this team. Maybe it's just a bad stretch or maybe this team sucks.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:22 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:My biggest concern is getting to those 20 wins that I think we need to make it. Looking at the schedule we have 8 games left which allows us a fudge margin of only two losses. We can't afford to lose any more than that right now. I'll reserve further judgement until after the VT game on Saturday, but after these last few losses and how close our ACC wins were already, I don't think we can mark down any of our next 8 games as sure wins (except maybe Wake Forest). I will agree and say that I expect us to make the Touney, but we have a razor thin margin of error right now.

I need to see the VT game (via the interweb) before I can make a decision on this team. Maybe it's just a bad stretch or maybe this team sucks.

I'm up in Boston this whole week so I'll be there live. I'm hoping I'm not in for a double dose of disappointment.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:47 pm

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

I'm up in Boston this whole week so I'll be there live. I'm hoping I'm not in for a double dose of disappointment.

If my flight gets canceled tomorrow I may just stay the weekend at this point. I'm not sure I want to go to another game this close to that massacre on Tuesday Night though.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby bignick33 on Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:21 pm

With BC's win as well as their opponents' wins, the RPI has shot up to 41.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby bluefishskip on Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:57 pm

just need to keep winning games.......between a weak bubble and the additional at-large bids, BC is still in decent shape for a NCAA bid. 4-1 "should" be safe. 3-2 may require at least 1 ACCT win. RPI's in the 40's are generally teams that are squarely on the bubble, so must keep winning
bluefishskip
Carney Hall

Return to Conte Forum