BC/Dook 26 Minute Knockout Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: BC/Dook 76 Second Knockout Thread

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:28 pm

EagleDave {l Wrote}:
EagleNYC {l Wrote}:There's a ton of Reggie bashing going on right now. Shitty game or not, he's the best player on the team and the 2nd biggest reason we're having a surprisingly good year. I realize people are pissed off about whatever caused the benching, but this is reading like he's tanking the game.

He's not tanking, but he's pressing and ignoring his teammates. I'm pretty sure he has yet to pass the ball in this game. Best player or not, he deserves to get criticized for the way he's played the last 2 games.

He's not going Tyrese Rice in the NCAAs against USC. Although true, he's playing awful.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:28 pm

EagleNYC {l Wrote}:There's a ton of Reggie bashing going on right now. Shitty game or not, he's the best player on the team and the 2nd biggest reason we're having a surprisingly good year. I realize people are pissed off about whatever caused the benching, but this is reading like he's tanking the game.

If you want to be the star you play like the star. When you don't you take some heat. Comes with the territory. It's not bashing. I love Reggie but he did not show up tonight.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:28 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:
DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:2nd round TKO

Pretty much. I'd suggest we start focusing on Tuesday Night because this game is over.

NSCU:Spaz::UNC:TheDon?

Can we refrain from making analogies between Spaz and TheDon?

exactly. it is not as though Donahue came in with a conservative game plan. We went at them. We figured out what to do. Hung with them. They have more depth, their players are on fresh legs, ours aren't. This is not a moral victory. But you can't criticize the coaching here.

That's not the point he's making...no one is criticizng the coaching there's no shame in losing to Duke on the road.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BC923 on Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:

If you want to be the star you play like the star. When you don't you take some heat. Comes with the territory. It's not bashing. I love Reggie but he did not show up tonight.

he's trying to force his way into the game, i won't bash him, but he's not playing a great game.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:29 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:This game reminds me of the entire season last year. Duke isn't all that good but unfortunately I'm not sure we are either.

We haven't played a good basketball game in about a month.

Duke isnt all that good?
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Re: BC/Dook 26 Minute Knockout Thread

Postby BC923 on Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:30 pm

kyle singler hurt? Best news ive ever heard.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:30 pm

We could be the worst defensive team in the nation.....it's embarassingly bad.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:31 pm

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:This game reminds me of the entire season last year. Duke isn't all that good but unfortunately I'm not sure we are either.

Duke isnt all that good?

They're fine but certainly not UNC of 2008 or anything like that. Without Irving this isn't a dominant team by any means.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby EagleDave on Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:31 pm

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:

Duke isnt all that good?

They're very good...but they've only played well in spurts tonight. A more complete effort from BC would have been enough to keep them in this game.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby Eagledom on Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:31 pm

i dont know about tanking, but he might as well have stayed on the bench the entire game
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby auggiebc on Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:31 pm

Duke is filthy good. Their best player (perhaps the best player in the country) hasn't played in a month. They get him back and this team won't lose to anyone.
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:32 pm

What the fuck is Reggie doing there leaving Curry? Ugh this team sometimes.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby EagleDave on Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:32 pm

When they shoot like this, this team is unbeatable.

This Duke team would have taken last years team behind the woodshed.
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby BC923 on Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:32 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:We could be the worst defensive team in the nation.....it's embarassingly bad.

i think its a product of depth. We started out playing very well defensively, or duke was bad, but now we are worn out and don't have enough in us to play. We need more players.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby joesim on Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:32 pm

game :suicide :whiteflag :whiteflag :whiteflag :whiteflag
joesim
McGuinn Hall

Postby EagleNYC on Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:32 pm

EagleDave {l Wrote}:

He's not tanking, but he's pressing and ignoring his teammates. I'm pretty sure he has yet to pass the ball in this game. Best player or not, he deserves to get criticized for the way he's played the last 2 games and getting himself in trouble the day of their most difficult road game.

I agree about the "trouble" issue. I do remember him passing. ESPN credits him with 4 assists. The rest of the team has 8.

I remember reading (and agreeing) that Reggie didn't assert himself enough many times this year (including the 2nd half against Miami). The point of my post wasn't to dissuade criticism, it was aimed at the level of vitriol.
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:33 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:

Duke isnt all that good?

They're fine but certainly not UNC of 2008 or anything like that. Without Irving this isn't a dominant team by any means.

They've been pretty dominant the last 10 minutes.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:33 pm

auggiebc {l Wrote}:Duke is filthy good. Their best player (perhaps the best player in the country) hasn't played in a month. They get him back and this team won't lose to anyone.

WIthout Irving, they're good in ACC terms but wouldn't run away with a reasonable conference like the Big East or BIg 12.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BC923 on Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:34 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
auggiebc {l Wrote}:Duke is filthy good. Their best player (perhaps the best player in the country) hasn't played in a month. They get him back and this team won't lose to anyone.

WIthout Irving, they're good in ACC terms but wouldn't run away with a reasonable conference like the Big East or BIg 12.

very true
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:34 pm

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:

Duke isnt all that good?

Yea because our defense literally couldn't slow down a Middle School Girls team right now. Their shooters are all wide open.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Eagledom on Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:34 pm

even the announcers are saying there is something up with reggie....way to show up on the big stage.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby BC923 on Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:35 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:

Duke isnt all that good?

Yea because our defense literally couldn't slow down a Middle School Girls team right now. Their shooters are all wide open.

the players are dead. They are too tired. We have no one to spell our top group
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby EagleDave on Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:37 pm

The lack of effort defensively is staggering.
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:38 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:

Duke isnt all that good?

the players are dead. They are too tired. We have no one to spell our top group

Right. It's not because Duke is out of this world good. There aren't any really good teams in basketball this year...
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BC923 on Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:39 pm

EagleDave {l Wrote}:The lack of effort defensively is staggering.

i don't really buy this. i think two things are going on. They are exhausted (also making the offense ugly) and we have no good interior defensive player, once they get past the first line there is nothing to stop them, and the first line is too tired to stop anyone.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:39 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Pretty much. I'd suggest we start focusing on Tuesday Night because this game is over.

No...if we lose Tuesday we go to 4-4 in the league and are going to be pretty screwed all the way around. I've said we need to win one of these games @ FSU @ Duke or UNC at home. UNC was always our best chance.

A lot of cranky people today. It was a joke playing on the fact that we should start prepping for the next game while the current game is still being played. Not a criticism of the Don for getting beat by a superior Duke team. Sheesh.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:42 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:
DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Can we refrain from making analogies between Spaz and TheDon?

exactly. it is not as though Donahue came in with a conservative game plan. We went at them. We figured out what to do. Hung with them. They have more depth, their players are on fresh legs, ours aren't. This is not a moral victory. But you can't criticize the coaching here.

That's not the point he's making...no one is criticizng the coaching there's no shame in losing to Duke on the road.

Missed this - you got it right. 923 was way off.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby joemack13 on Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:43 pm

ugh
joemack13
Campion Hall

Postby joesim on Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:43 pm

airrrr balll
joesim
McGuinn Hall

Postby EagleDave on Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:43 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:
EagleDave {l Wrote}:The lack of effort defensively is staggering.

i don't really buy this. i think two things are going on. They are exhausted (also making the offense ugly) and we have no good interior defensive player, once they get past the first line there is nothing to stop them, and the first line is too tired to stop anyone.

That's a cop out...if the first guy gets beat there should be help defense behind it. Nobody even flinched toward Smith on that drive. That's lack of effort, not ability.
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum